Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick. 09:05 - Feb 4 with 7527 viewsirishtim

Think Mick should be given at least another year. The team he tried re shaping went against him this season imo. Injuries have cost big time. Next season with injuries over some young lads coming into the team and a few additions should see us up there. Without Mick could go downwards fast.
Mick. on 09:26 - Feb 4 with 5447 viewsgrimboy

In my eyes to get rid of Mick would be worth the gamble the club and the supporters are bigger than one man.
Mick. on 09:27 - Feb 4 with 5447 viewsFixed_It

That won't be popular on here - but you make a valid point. The trouble is we have reached a point where he will get slated at every setback. If only for that reason alone I think change is probably needed..

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Mick. on 09:30 - Feb 4 with 5429 viewsDanTheMan

Mick. on 09:27 - Feb 4 by Fixed_It

That won't be popular on here - but you make a valid point. The trouble is we have reached a point where he will get slated at every setback. If only for that reason alone I think change is probably needed..

Agreed. I don't really trust Evans to make a better appointment but we do need a change at this point.

Basically need a miracle though...
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 9:30]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Mick. on 10:06 - Feb 4 with 5337 viewsBluefish

If we are ever to let Mick go, this summer is the time. Sadly the fans have fallen apart, it hard to know if this is truly down to Mick or if he is just the guy in the hotseat when the realisation on football changing happened. This season we have hope though in a ridiculous world where Ipswich have no right to compete. We finally have a stable defence and a quality keeper but more importantly we have a host of youngsters that can grow into players well beyond our financial reach. The blend of experience with top pros such as chambers, skuse and waggy is there and Ward, Knudsen, spence and Webster are a good age to now have consistency. We just need to keep the quality fit and who knows where we could go with Dozzell, huws, bishop, nydam etc.
Think back at anytime since Burley when have things been that positive? The new manager is a lucky bloke.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 10:07]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Mick. on 10:07 - Feb 4 with 5326 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Why do you think a new man in charge can’t get the best out of the same players?
Mick. on 10:07 - Feb 4 with 5316 viewsbrogansnose

Mick. on 10:06 - Feb 4 by Bluefish

If we are ever to let Mick go, this summer is the time. Sadly the fans have fallen apart, it hard to know if this is truly down to Mick or if he is just the guy in the hotseat when the realisation on football changing happened. This season we have hope though in a ridiculous world where Ipswich have no right to compete. We finally have a stable defence and a quality keeper but more importantly we have a host of youngsters that can grow into players well beyond our financial reach. The blend of experience with top pros such as chambers, skuse and waggy is there and Ward, Knudsen, spence and Webster are a good age to now have consistency. We just need to keep the quality fit and who knows where we could go with Dozzell, huws, bishop, nydam etc.
Think back at anytime since Burley when have things been that positive? The new manager is a lucky bloke.

On the money with that one Trucey.
nice points Fishers (n/t) on 10:15 - Feb 4 with 5295 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Mick. (n/t) on 10:18 - Feb 4 with 5279 viewsirishtim

Mick. on 10:07 - Feb 4 by blueblueburleymcgrew

Why do you think a new man in charge can’t get the best out of the same players?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick. on 10:19 - Feb 4 with 5273 viewsirishtim

Mick. on 10:07 - Feb 4 by blueblueburleymcgrew

Because the players respect him. Really think we can turn a corner with Mick.
Mick. on 10:22 - Feb 4 with 5266 viewsAce_High1

No chance, the whole place needs a change and freshen up.
Mick. on 10:26 - Feb 4 with 5250 viewsstrikalite

It's a great job for a coach, good young players coming through and an owner who will give you time, not much money, but time which is a rarity in today's game...

I wonder if you did a poll and asked all the Managers out there whether they would have time on a small budget or a big budget over little time to get results, which one they'd choose?
Mick. on 10:28 - Feb 4 with 5253 viewsSomethingBlue

That is a fair argument and, from his perspective, it might be the one reason he wanted to stick around too. When our players have, fleetingly, been fit we have looked good. But I think attitudes have hardened too much, probably on both sides, and that there's no doubt he is off. As long as the next appointment is made sensibly it will be for the best.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Mick. on 10:34 - Feb 4 with 5225 viewsGuthrum

Comparison worth looking at: A desperately poor Rotherham surviving under Warnock - and what happened to them afterwards.

I'm not saying that definitely is what would happen to us post McCarthy, but unless Evans gets the next appointment pretty much spot on, there's a good chance.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mick. on 10:38 - Feb 4 with 5200 viewssotd78

Agree. We got incredibly unlucky with injuries this season which we might not have next season. Still needs investment. But look at clubs that throw out their infrastructure. We should be very careful not to go back to dismantled club aka Roy Keane.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Mick. on 10:45 - Feb 4 with 5179 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick. on 09:27 - Feb 4 by Fixed_It

Same here. Agree with the OP that the potential is there and that Mick has essentially been doing the right thing for the mid to long term.

He's building a sustainable yet decent squad with a mix of our own youngsters and other young players who can be developed. Overall we have a squad that's now more balanced and valuable (for us and any future sales) than it's been since we got relegated. It's just we've rarely seen that this season with the disruption to the midfield.

But I fear that without the feel good factor of a new manager we'll never get the momentum moving in the right direction. And without forward momentum and a positive atmosphere a club is stuffed. It's gone so far with too many of the fans that even a lesser manager should prove more effective. But hopefully we're now in a position that a manager as good as Mick overall looks at us and thinks we're in decent shape.

It reminds me very much of the situation we had in Royle's last year where he did a good job of keeping us competitive on very little money and introducing the kids and young players after a few of our stars had moved on. Even though it might have felt like a poor season given the near-success of the year before. When Jim took over he therefore inherited a decent base plus he got a bit of cash on top so he could build on that. Probably the most positive and certainly optimistic 18 months we had at the club where Jim's strengths rather than his flaws were in focus given the overall upward direction of the club.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mick. on 10:46 - Feb 4 with 5176 viewsJ2BLUE

I agree in theory. It can't happen though. The relationship with some of the fans is too far gone. That is the only reason I think we'll make a change. If the fans all bought into next season I think that contract would be signed within a day.

Just to be clear i'm not criticising the fans who invest their time and money who want a change. That is absolutely fair enough IMO but I don't think we'll progress results wise. Perhaps the style of football will be better for them though.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick. on 10:59 - Feb 4 with 5126 viewspatrickswell

This. Don’t underestimate Mick thinking, “Why should I let someone else pick up and run with all this? Especially if they’re all fit next season*”

*Cue season ending injuries for Waghorn and Garner in September 2018....
Mick. on 10:59 - Feb 4 with 5124 viewstractorboy1978

Mick. on 10:45 - Feb 4 by Darth_Koont

Same here. Agree with the OP that the potential is there and that Mick has essentially been doing the right thing for the mid to long term.

He's building a sustainable yet decent squad with a mix of our own youngsters and other young players who can be developed. Overall we have a squad that's now more balanced and valuable (for us and any future sales) than it's been since we got relegated. It's just we've rarely seen that this season with the disruption to the midfield.

But I fear that without the feel good factor of a new manager we'll never get the momentum moving in the right direction. And without forward momentum and a positive atmosphere a club is stuffed. It's gone so far with too many of the fans that even a lesser manager should prove more effective. But hopefully we're now in a position that a manager as good as Mick overall looks at us and thinks we're in decent shape.

It reminds me very much of the situation we had in Royle's last year where he did a good job of keeping us competitive on very little money and introducing the kids and young players after a few of our stars had moved on. Even though it might have felt like a poor season given the near-success of the year before. When Jim took over he therefore inherited a decent base plus he got a bit of cash on top so he could build on that. Probably the most positive and certainly optimistic 18 months we had at the club where Jim's strengths rather than his flaws were in focus given the overall upward direction of the club.

I think any new manager would be inheriting a far stronger base than Royle left behind (through no fault of his own). I agree with your point though and I said this the other day to a mate - we've basically come full circle and what we need is another Magilton type of appointment. Someone that can unite the fans, nurture the academy players coming through, say the right things and bring back a bit of that identity that people seem to have lost over the course of Evan's tenure.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 11:00]
Mick. on 11:08 - Feb 4 with 5090 viewsGuthrum

Mick. on 10:46 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

I agree in theory. It can't happen though. The relationship with some of the fans is too far gone. That is the only reason I think we'll make a change. If the fans all bought into next season I think that contract would be signed within a day.

Just to be clear i'm not criticising the fans who invest their time and money who want a change. That is absolutely fair enough IMO but I don't think we'll progress results wise. Perhaps the style of football will be better for them though.

But (and this is somewhat controversial), do Ipswich Town allow the feelings of a section of the fans, albeit a large and vocal one, to force them into a decision which is risky, maybe even damaging, for the club's on-pitch performance?

John Cobbold once famously decided that shouldn't be the case. But that's not to say it isn't the right thing to do now (McCarthy is, after all and with the best will in the world, not Robson).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mick. on 11:08 - Feb 4 with 5090 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick. on 10:46 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

I'll criticize a lot of them.

Too many don't even attempt to separate Mick from the overall money he has available. Too many don't separate Mick from the whole time we've spent in the Championship as if he's somehow responsible for the 11 years before as well rather than someone who has inherited a dodgy situation and generally been doing what's been needed since. Too many put Mick into a preconceived category of manager and style of football despite the evidence here and elsewhere in his career that he doesn't really stick to one approach religiously.

Of course, there's valid criticism of Mick as all managers make mistakes. His belief in being pragmatic to ensure a drip-feed of points means we never risk going on a bad run but equally we have struggled to put consistent surges together.

These people won't change because they've made up their minds. They'll do the same for the next manager but hopefully that manager hits the ground running and we have a positive 6 months or so in the top half of the table that means views don't become so badly and negatively entrenched.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 11:09]

Pronouns: He/Him

Mick. on 11:13 - Feb 4 with 5056 viewsBluefish

Mick. on 11:08 - Feb 4 by Darth_Koont

Too many don't even attempt to separate Mick from the overall money he has available. Too many don't separate Mick from the whole time we've spent in the Championship as if he's somehow responsible for the 11 years before as well rather than someone who has inherited a dodgy situation and generally been doing what's been needed since. Too many put Mick into a preconceived category of manager and style of football despite the evidence here and elsewhere in his career that he doesn't really stick to one approach religiously.

Of course, there's valid criticism of Mick as all managers make mistakes. His belief in being pragmatic to ensure a drip-feed of points means we never risk going on a bad run but equally we have struggled to put consistent surges together.

These people won't change because they've made up their minds. They'll do the same for the next manager but hopefully that manager hits the ground running and we have a positive 6 months or so in the top half of the table that means views don't become so badly and negatively entrenched.

You are right many seem to hold the 16 years in the championship on Mick and also the debt. It really is quite bizarre how clouded the thinking has become. Similarly they will always say the football is awful regardless of how we play.

I saw a Twitter thread last week where 2 supporters were saying that keane didn't do any damage to this club but they were apoplectic at Mick for doing damage. Bizarre!

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Mick. on 11:20 - Feb 4 with 5010 viewsArcher4721

Good post which will sadly be lost on many here.
Mick. on 11:27 - Feb 4 with 4976 viewsBluebell

Mick. on 09:30 - Feb 4 by DanTheMan

Agreed. I don't really trust Evans to make a better appointment but we do need a change at this point.

Basically need a miracle though...
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 9:30]

Maybe someone already associated with the club could step in. What about Gerard Nash or Alan Lee?

They have worked wonders with the academy and know the whole squad and have seen them train and watched the games.

Surely better than someone who may change things round and bring his own staff and players to the club.
Nail on head Koonters on 11:29 - Feb 4 with 4972 viewsDyland

Mick. on 11:08 - Feb 4 by Darth_Koont

Mick doesn't do himself any favours sometimes in his pressers, but so what? Him and the nay-saying fans are all as bad as each other. I get the criticism that he gets well paid to do his job and should really just rise above it. But I see his side of it too. And frankly I couldn't care less what he says. I care about the football. His pragmatic approach is quite dull to me and over five years it's hard to see beyond this, even though I know full well he's actually done a decent job all things considered.

We just need a change now, it's gone stale. A shame some fans don't like him but he'll be remembered positively by the majority.

Mick. on 11:30 - Feb 4 with 4963 viewsDyland

Mick. on 11:13 - Feb 4 by Bluefish

You are right many seem to hold the 16 years in the championship on Mick and also the debt. It really is quite bizarre how clouded the thinking has become. Similarly they will always say the football is awful regardless of how we play.

I saw a Twitter thread last week where 2 supporters were saying that keane didn't do any damage to this club but they were apoplectic at Mick for doing damage. Bizarre!

Those supporters are complete clueless cocks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024