Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch 09:09 - Feb 6 with 17647 viewsStokieBlue

This evening at 6:30pm GMT SpaceX are going to attempt to launch their new Falcon 9 Heavy. It can carry more than twice as much as the next largest rocket current in use to LEO.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42950957

As Musk has said:

Falcon Heavy will be a 'great rocket launch or the best fireworks display'

The most impressive thing is that they are going to try and land all 3 boosters independently so they can be reused. Once it works each launch will be about 90m USDcompared with 1bn USD for NASA's equivalent rocket which won't be ready for at least 2 years.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 11:51 - Feb 6 with 10366 viewsfloridablue

Just watched a report on the local news channel and its expected 100,000 will head over to the space coast, and the reporter has talked to folks camping overnight! It also mentioned that 2 of the boosters will return to land and the other out in the ocean on a barge. I thought about driving over but with the chance of the launch being delayed i'm going to watch from my roof 50 plus miles away and then wished i'd driven across!
SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 12:12 - Feb 6 with 10346 viewsMJallday

for those interested, you can watch here

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Best fireworks display... on 13:07 - Feb 6 with 10309 viewsvilanovablue

... a good point of view in case it goes wrong and there are no astronauts on board.
Best fireworks display... on 13:27 - Feb 6 with 10281 viewsStokieBlue

Best fireworks display... on 13:07 - Feb 6 by vilanovablue

... a good point of view in case it goes wrong and there are no astronauts on board.

Well, it's his money essentially and the only "passenger" is his own Tesla Roadster.

SB

Best fireworks display... on 13:28 - Feb 6 with 10280 viewsITFC1983

Best fireworks display... on 13:07 - Feb 6 by vilanovablue

His poor old car though if that does happen

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Best fireworks display... on 13:43 - Feb 6 with 10251 viewsIpswichKnight

Best fireworks display... on 13:27 - Feb 6 by StokieBlue

Well, it's his money essentially and the only "passenger" is his own Tesla Roadster.

SB

I think SpaceX is now self financing, same can not be said for Jeff Bezos and his space company that said it's allowed him to design and start testing rockets that will be the same size as the Saturn V .

I believe SpaceX are aiming for a manned mission by the end of this year.
Best fireworks display... on 13:50 - Feb 6 with 10238 viewsStokieBlue

Best fireworks display... on 13:43 - Feb 6 by IpswichKnight

I think SpaceX is now self financing, same can not be said for Jeff Bezos and his space company that said it's allowed him to design and start testing rockets that will be the same size as the Saturn V .

I believe SpaceX are aiming for a manned mission by the end of this year.

SpaceX is self-financing now with all the contracts it has for the normal Falcon 9 but Musk still owns the majority stake and it's not a publicly listed company at the moment.

I don't think Bezos has anything at the planning stage as big as a Saturn V? SpaceX however have the BFR planned from 2222 which is even bigger than the Saturn V and will be fully reusable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFR_(rocket)

SB

Best fireworks display... on 15:19 - Feb 6 with 10181 viewsIpswichKnight

Best fireworks display... on 13:50 - Feb 6 by StokieBlue

SpaceX is self-financing now with all the contracts it has for the normal Falcon 9 but Musk still owns the majority stake and it's not a publicly listed company at the moment.

I don't think Bezos has anything at the planning stage as big as a Saturn V? SpaceX however have the BFR planned from 2222 which is even bigger than the Saturn V and will be fully reusable:

SB

The new Glenn 3 stage will be just slightly shorter than the SaturnV while as you say the BFR will be bigger, however they are still quite a way off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Glenn
Login to get fewer ads

Best fireworks display... on 15:34 - Feb 6 with 10163 viewsStokieBlue

Best fireworks display... on 15:19 - Feb 6 by IpswichKnight

The new Glenn 3 stage will be just slightly shorter than the SaturnV while as you say the BFR will be bigger, however they are still quite a way off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Glenn

As with anything, it's not the size but what you do with it.

In this case whilst the New Glenn is tall it doesn't deliver much payload to LEO. For instance:

New Glenn LEO payload: 45,000kg
Falcon Heavy LEO payload: 64,000kg
Saturn V LEO payload: 140,000kg
BFR LEO payload: 150,000kg

So Blue Origin would seem quite a way behind SpaceX at the moment, however it's easy to plan things, actually making them work is far harder so still plenty to play for.

SB

Best fireworks display... on 15:40 - Feb 6 with 10160 viewsIpswichKnight

Best fireworks display... on 15:34 - Feb 6 by StokieBlue

As with anything, it's not the size but what you do with it.

In this case whilst the New Glenn is tall it doesn't deliver much payload to LEO. For instance:

New Glenn LEO payload: 45,000kg
Falcon Heavy LEO payload: 64,000kg
Saturn V LEO payload: 140,000kg
BFR LEO payload: 150,000kg

So Blue Origin would seem quite a way behind SpaceX at the moment, however it's easy to plan things, actually making them work is far harder so still plenty to play for.

SB

Indeed they are! Falcon heavy will allow SpaceX to start putting the bigger US military satellites into space. We will soon see manned SpaceX missions though primarily for space tourism the dragon capsule is already compatible to the ISS and unlike Orion is ready to go into Space this year.

Hopefully I'll make it home in time for the launch!
Best fireworks display... on 15:44 - Feb 6 with 10149 viewsvilanovablue

Best fireworks display... on 13:50 - Feb 6 by StokieBlue

SB

Mr Musk has plenty of cash so I won't shed too many tears if it all goes wrong :)
Best fireworks display... on 16:00 - Feb 6 with 10139 viewsStokieBlue

Best fireworks display... on 15:44 - Feb 6 by vilanovablue

Mr Musk has plenty of cash so I won't shed too many tears if it all goes wrong :)

"Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough." - Elon Musk.

That's the good thing here, if it all goes horrible wrong he won't moan about it, SpaceX will carry on and try again.

I suspect there is a good chance of at least a couple of large explosions today.

SB

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 18:15 - Feb 6 with 10088 viewsfloridablue

Looks like the breeze (upper winds) are going to be a factor as its already delayed the launch according to the local news channel!
SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 18:25 - Feb 6 with 10076 viewsJ2BLUE

Thanks for the heads up

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:03 - Feb 6 with 10012 viewsPinewoodblue

Launching your car at Mars, playing David Bowies's space Odyssey on a loop, seems as good a way as any to spend your money.

Blast off now scheduled for 9pm GMT any further delay and postponed to Wednesday.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:21 - Feb 6 with 9992 viewsSonOfSpock

If this kind of thing doesn't enthuse youngsters to get into STEM subjects at school I'm not sure what will.
SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:41 - Feb 6 with 9975 viewsJ2BLUE

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:03 - Feb 6 by Pinewoodblue

Launching your car at Mars, playing David Bowies's space Odyssey on a loop, seems as good a way as any to spend your money.

Blast off now scheduled for 9pm GMT any further delay and postponed to Wednesday.

Sill at 20:45 acording to their site. Don't miss it!

Truly impaired.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:43 - Feb 6 with 9968 viewsfloridablue

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:41 - Feb 6 by J2BLUE

Sill at 20:45 acording to their site. Don't miss it!

my ladders up and i'm ready to climb....seriously, done it before!
SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:51 - Feb 6 with 9959 viewsGlasgowBlue

Just watched it. Amazing.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:57 - Feb 6 with 9950 viewsJ2BLUE

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:51 - Feb 6 by GlasgowBlue

Just watched it. Amazing.

Fook me sideways. Incredible.

Truly impaired.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:57 - Feb 6 with 9948 viewsBloomBlue

Those rockets are going to be good for the environment, whatever people think of Musk at least his battery/electrics engines/rockets are helping to keep the atmosphere clean
SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 21:00 - Feb 6 with 9931 viewsBent_double

Had no idea this was happening until I saw this thread, cheers StokieBlue!

What an incredible event to watch. I can't believe there's actually one of his cars orbiting Earth!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 21:01 - Feb 6 with 9926 viewsGlasgowBlue

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 20:57 - Feb 6 by J2BLUE

Fook me sideways. Incredible.

The Bowie music was the icing on the cake.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 21:02 - Feb 6 with 9927 viewsSteve_M

Seriously impressive stuff.

And just a little bit of showing off is allowed.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy launch on 21:06 - Feb 6 with 9920 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Is this all part of the plan to go off and f#ck up more planets as well as our own ? What a waste of time and money.
Elon Musk....
....."His goals include reducing global warming through sustainable energy production and consumption, and reducing the "risk of human extinction" by establishing a human colony on Mars.[26]"
....covering all his bases then. Techno fix loon, it is people with his mindset that has got our planet into the mess it is.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024