Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New manager rumour 15:59 - Feb 6 with 9040 viewsBackToRussia

Sherwood = Keane Mk II; confident but inept.
Mowbray = would have fans' backing but for how long? Too grey and uninspiring IMO.
Cowley = just fooking do it. Show a bit of imagination for once.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

New manager rumour on 16:00 - Feb 6 with 6453 viewsThijssens_Tash

Agree with all of this, apart from Cowley - not ready imo. As I put in a similar post Steijn or Warburton for me.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2018 16:02]
New manager rumour on 16:01 - Feb 6 with 6442 viewsTIB

Cowley = Hoof 2.0

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

New manager rumour on 16:05 - Feb 6 with 6417 viewsBackToRussia

New manager rumour on 16:00 - Feb 6 by Thijssens_Tash

Agree with all of this, apart from Cowley - not ready imo. As I put in a similar post Steijn or Warburton for me.

Why would Steijn, someone who has no experience of English football or the level the Championship is at, be more ready than Cowley? At least he has come up through the ranks. He's like Burley in that he's done his time at a lower level and is ready to move up.

I wouldn't mind Warburton but I do think we should try something a bit more radical this time. As others have said, why isn't Jones from Luton in the frame or any other lower league managers who had decent success in the past few years in the frame?

I really do think the best thing we can do now is employ someone with a huge point to prove at this level and who sees ITFC as a step up.

Get someone who will want to forge a unique legacy in their own image at Town, rather than someone like MM who just sees it as a job to be done.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2018 16:06]

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

New manager rumour on 16:12 - Feb 6 with 6380 viewsTIB

New manager rumour on 16:05 - Feb 6 by BackToRussia

Why would Steijn, someone who has no experience of English football or the level the Championship is at, be more ready than Cowley? At least he has come up through the ranks. He's like Burley in that he's done his time at a lower level and is ready to move up.

I wouldn't mind Warburton but I do think we should try something a bit more radical this time. As others have said, why isn't Jones from Luton in the frame or any other lower league managers who had decent success in the past few years in the frame?

I really do think the best thing we can do now is employ someone with a huge point to prove at this level and who sees ITFC as a step up.

Get someone who will want to forge a unique legacy in their own image at Town, rather than someone like MM who just sees it as a job to be done.

Cowley and Steijn both risks......the Dutch league is all about goals...Cowley from reading about and watching Lincoln on a few occasions is still very much playing the direct football that so many of us have hated whilst Mick has been at the helm...the difference is, Cowley has some hype about him after their cup run last season and the fact he is young which seems to be sending folk weak at the knees.

It's not going to be an easy appointment either way.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

New manager rumour on 16:14 - Feb 6 with 6373 viewsThijssens_Tash

New manager rumour on 16:05 - Feb 6 by BackToRussia

To start Steijn has guided Venlo to mid table in the Eredivisie, a much higher standard of football than league 2. He has won numerous plaudits for his style of play and success with limited resources, and would consider Ipswich as a big step up in his career.

Warburton would again bring a style of play that we have been crying out for, although it can be questioned if he has a plan B. With no pressure to deliver success, as ME has shown with McCarthy, he would have time to build a team from youth and implement his style in a long term project.

I think both of these would look to build a long term legacy, and both have points to prove, either in a new division to them or to get their career back on track after previous unfortunate positions at not to stable clubs.
New manager rumour on 16:16 - Feb 6 with 6356 viewsBackToRussia

New manager rumour on 16:12 - Feb 6 by TIB

Cowley and Steijn both risks......the Dutch league is all about goals...Cowley from reading about and watching Lincoln on a few occasions is still very much playing the direct football that so many of us have hated whilst Mick has been at the helm...the difference is, Cowley has some hype about him after their cup run last season and the fact he is young which seems to be sending folk weak at the knees.

It's not going to be an easy appointment either way.

There weren't too many complaints of direct football in our playoff season was there? All anyone wants is a working plan ultimately. Of course, Ipswich fans want passing football, but they would take an effective style with an inspiring leader too.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

New manager rumour on 16:28 - Feb 6 with 6296 viewsMoisha

New manager rumour on 16:00 - Feb 6 by Thijssens_Tash

Or Jones
New manager rumour on 16:58 - Feb 6 with 6208 viewsbradforblues

Paul Cook from Wigan. Plays lovely football, not spent a fortune and I think we would be in with a realistic chance of getting him at the end of the season.

you are my ipswich !!

Login to get fewer ads

New manager rumour on 17:12 - Feb 6 with 6145 viewsvilanovablue

New manager rumour on 16:58 - Feb 6 by bradforblues

Paul Cook from Wigan. Plays lovely football, not spent a fortune and I think we would be in with a realistic chance of getting him at the end of the season.

Might be difficult if Wigan get promoted...
New manager rumour on 17:42 - Feb 6 with 6042 viewsMarcFowler

Completely agree. It would be great to take someone who was able to come in with fresh ideas and blow the cobwebs away. People are crying out for a change and I don't think they care in what direction, but Mowbray and anyone like that aren't an actual change, not in terms of direction.

They'd do the same thing as any bog-standard 50+ year old perennial middle-achievement manager would, we'll win some and lose some and no impetus will be injected anywhere, and in a couple of years they'll leave either as the club panics and we look like we might go down or they've just done nothing and their contract is up. It isn't personal; I don't mean that they don't want to win, I don't mean that they don't care. It's just that someone who views the club as a job that they've already earned the right to have because they've 'done it' in the Premier League before, or for whatever other reason, is just not the right person for us at the moment.

When Mick came in, he was able to light a fire under everyone's 'arris and explain that if we go down, their careers, their families, their livelihoods are on the line. Everyone pushed and pushed to remove that as an eventuality. When we reached the playoffs, there was belief and focus. But it isn't his fault that he can't inspire that now, because there's no enemy to focus on. We aren't going down, we were never in with a chance of going up, he's leaving. Leave the club in a better state than he found it, and move on.

For the record, I like Mick and I think he's done an excellent job, and when you look at his specific job description - keep us up at all costs, then have a go, then keep us ticking over - I don't think anyone would have done better, knowing the huge limitations he's had to deal with. He's been extremely professional and on the remit of leaving the club better than when he found it, there's no question he's done that. But that time is over now. It's time for a change, because the fans who pay their wages are sick of 'stability' at the expense of everything else. It's entertainment, not our boring dead-end day job. Just existing isn't going to cut it. And if we sleepwalk into a car crash like Sherwood or a corpse like Mowbray, we'll regret it.

Marc Fowler

New manager rumour on 18:14 - Feb 6 with 5923 viewsstantheman

They've got a few players who could come with him IMO.
New manager rumour on 18:15 - Feb 6 with 5920 viewsbobbyramsey

I think MM will still be here.....
New manager rumour on 18:18 - Feb 6 with 5909 viewsSpruceMoose

New manager rumour on 16:16 - Feb 6 by BackToRussia

There weren't too many complaints of direct football in our playoff season was there? All anyone wants is a working plan ultimately. Of course, Ipswich fans want passing football, but they would take an effective style with an inspiring leader too.

You what? A load of people on here never shut up about the style.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

New manager rumour on 18:20 - Feb 6 with 5901 viewsBackToRussia

New manager rumour on 18:18 - Feb 6 by SpruceMoose

You what? A load of people on here never shut up about the style.

They didn't. There were grumblings toward the end of the season because it looked like we might miss out on the playoffs. Complaints about style only, rightfully, really ramped up the next season (when we finished 7th).

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

New manager rumour on 18:27 - Feb 6 with 5875 viewsStowTractorBoy

Not a chance of getting Paul Cook as he is a scouser and one of the the reasons he left Pompey to get nearer to home. Wigan look like a Club on the up again so another reason why he will not come here much as I would like him to. I just have a feeling MM is going to stay anyway.
New manager rumour on 18:32 - Feb 6 with 5858 viewsSpruceMoose

New manager rumour on 18:20 - Feb 6 by BackToRussia

They didn't. There were grumblings toward the end of the season because it looked like we might miss out on the playoffs. Complaints about style only, rightfully, really ramped up the next season (when we finished 7th).

Well, you may be right, I'm not going back to trawl through. But it's honestly not how I remember things being on here that season.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

New manager rumour on 18:35 - Feb 6 with 5846 viewsLuk38644

Don't get the clamouring for the Cowley's. They play hoofball and if we want a manager from League Two, let's get Nathan Jones.

Other honourable mentions are Darrell Clarke (Marcus Stewart assistant manager!), Mark Warburton or the infamous Maurice Steijn. Doing a cracking job with VVV Venlo so far in the Eredivise with a tiny budget and young squad.
New manager rumour on 18:45 - Feb 6 with 5801 viewsMaySixth

Nathan Jones
Paul Hurst
Danny Cowley
Mark Warburton
Maurice Steijn
John McGreal
Paul Cook

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

New manager rumour on 18:47 - Feb 6 with 5791 viewsSpruceMoose

New manager rumour on 18:45 - Feb 6 by MaySixth

Nathan Jones
Paul Hurst
Danny Cowley
Mark Warburton
Maurice Steijn
John McGreal
Paul Cook

No Curbs?

New manager rumour on 19:11 - Feb 6 with 5718 viewsBackToRussia

New manager rumour on 18:32 - Feb 6 by SpruceMoose

Well, you may be right, I'm not going back to trawl through. But it's honestly not how I remember things being on here that season.

Mate, we were 2nd at Christmas. You think people were grumbling?? They couldn't believe it. A few grumbles crept in as it looked like we were fading in the 2nd half of the season.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

New manager rumour on 19:15 - Feb 6 with 5696 viewsSpruceMoose

New manager rumour on 19:11 - Feb 6 by BackToRussia

Mate, we were 2nd at Christmas. You think people were grumbling?? They couldn't believe it. A few grumbles crept in as it looked like we were fading in the 2nd half of the season.

Like I said, I may be wrong! Not going to war over this one!

New manager rumour on 19:27 - Feb 6 with 5655 viewsBloomBlue

But which one is dark skinned, against the law now, maybe Frank Nouble as 4th name on the shortlist
New manager rumour on 19:29 - Feb 6 with 5645 viewsSpruceMoose

New manager rumour on 19:27 - Feb 6 by BloomBlue

But which one is dark skinned, against the law now, maybe Frank Nouble as 4th name on the shortlist

You what?

New manager rumour on 19:32 - Feb 6 with 5638 viewsMoisha

New manager rumour on 19:15 - Feb 6 by SpruceMoose

Like I said, I may be wrong! Not going to war over this one!

Sprucemoose went to war, went to war on a forum....
New manager rumour on 19:32 - Feb 6 with 5637 viewsSpruceMoose

New manager rumour on 19:32 - Feb 6 by Moisha

Sprucemoose went to war, went to war on a forum....

I'm a loving fighter.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024