Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? 14:04 - Feb 13 with 27902 viewsBrixtonBlue

There was an oldish, but not THAT old, woman got on my bus the other day. I went to offer my seat but then I thought, is she going to be offended that I'm suggesting she's old?

The reason I thought this is probably because my mum had someone offer her a seat a few years ago. She said it was nice but made her feel old.

So where do you stand?*

*pun intended

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 15:23 - Feb 13 with 4474 viewsGavTWTD

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:45 - Feb 13 by J2BLUE

All those Audis and you take the bus?!?

Not been on a bus in years. Was purely hypothetical. I just scrunched my eyes up and imagined I was in that situation.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 15:26 - Feb 13 with 4470 viewsJ2BLUE

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 15:23 - Feb 13 by GavTWTD

Not been on a bus in years. Was purely hypothetical. I just scrunched my eyes up and imagined I was in that situation.

Replace bus with woman and that's pretty much my life.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

on 15:27 - Feb 13 with 4448 views_

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:07 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

No. It's easy.

You should give up your seat for any women, regardless of age.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 15:38 - Feb 13 with 4449 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 15:26 - Feb 13 by J2BLUE

Replace bus with woman and that's pretty much my life.

Oh J, you need to get bus-y in other areas of life than work & family!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 15:58 - Feb 13 with 4433 viewsGeoffSentence

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:15 - Feb 13 by BrixtonBlue

I mean, that's very noble, and I'm totally with you. But you seem to be rather missing the point. As with my mum example, do you want to make a not-that-old-really woman feel old?

When you offer up your seat, clarify the situation by adding "not be because you are old,but because you are a bird"

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 15:59 - Feb 13 with 4427 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 15:58 - Feb 13 by GeoffSentence

When you offer up your seat, clarify the situation by adding "not be because you are old,but because you are a bird"

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:01 - Feb 13 with 4419 viewssparks

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:08 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

This.

Why?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:15 - Feb 13 with 4397 viewstheblueginger

DID YOU JUST ASSIGN HER GENDER!?
Login to get fewer ads

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:16 - Feb 13 with 4402 viewsJohnny_Boy

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:07 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

No. It's easy.

You should give up your seat for any women, regardless of age.

What happens when you offer a heavily pregnant woman a seat - and she takes offence because she's actually just a fatty?
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:17 - Feb 13 with 4395 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:01 - Feb 13 by sparks

Why?

Because that is how I was brought up. I always hold doors open for women as well.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:24 - Feb 13 with 4391 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:17 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

Because that is how I was brought up. I always hold doors open for women as well.

You don't hold them open for blokes?!

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:25 - Feb 13 with 4386 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:24 - Feb 13 by Ryorry

You don't hold them open for blokes?!

I slam them in blokes faces.

Iron Lion Zion

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:36 - Feb 13 with 4373 viewssparks

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:17 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

Thats not a sound reason in itself is it?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:39 - Feb 13 with 4371 viewsBluebell

I was offered a seat on a train not long ago by a young man and gratefully accepted. I didn't even think he took age into consideration and was just being a gentleman as I am a female.

What does annoy me is when people on trains take up more than one seat by putting their bags on the one next to them.

I always make a point of asking them move them so I can sit down. I have seen a lot of people standing all journey because they don't like to ask and the person taking up two seats is too ignorant to offer to move their stuff.
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:42 - Feb 13 with 4356 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:36 - Feb 13 by sparks

Thats not a sound reason in itself is it?

I never claimed it was a sound reason. We are products of our environment. My father was a very courteous man to ladies and that is how I was brought up.

If getting in a tax with my mrs I will always open and close her door first before walking to the other side of the car before getting in myself.

It may have no sound reason but it isn't doing anyone any harm and there are worse old fashioned traits to have than politeness.

Iron Lion Zion

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:48 - Feb 13 with 4345 viewsBrixtonBlue

I hold doors open for everyone.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:51 - Feb 13 with 4339 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:42 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

I never claimed it was a sound reason. We are products of our environment. My father was a very courteous man to ladies and that is how I was brought up.

If getting in a tax with my mrs I will always open and close her door first before walking to the other side of the car before getting in myself.

It may have no sound reason but it isn't doing anyone any harm and there are worse old fashioned traits to have than politeness.

You're missing the point of this thread. It's about age not gender. Change the woman to a man in my OP if it helps.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:51 - Feb 13 with 4339 viewshype313

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:48 - Feb 13 by BrixtonBlue

http://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/04e3cb669e393735423127c45f50ac87b0ad55.jpg?v=3

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:55 - Feb 13 with 4330 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:51 - Feb 13 by hype313

http://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/04e3cb669e393735423127c45f50ac87b0ad55.jpg?v=3

I didn't ask for a medal. Glassers said he holds doors open for women. I said I hold them for everyone.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:57 - Feb 13 with 4323 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:51 - Feb 13 by BrixtonBlue

You're missing the point of this thread. It's about age not gender. Change the woman to a man in my OP if it helps.

I'm not missing the point. I was replying to Sparks response to me agreeing with Lucan.

Iron Lion Zion

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:57 - Feb 13 with 4323 viewshype313

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:55 - Feb 13 by BrixtonBlue

I didn't ask for a medal. Glassers said he holds doors open for women. I said I hold them for everyone.

In the context of the OP he said he opened doors for woman, I'm sure he does for men, like I'm sure every one of us does on here.

Surely it's a given?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:59 - Feb 13 with 4319 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:48 - Feb 13 by BrixtonBlue

Well obviously. My reply to Ryorry was a joke. But i tend to wait longer with a door open for a woman if they are some distance away whereas with a bloke it would look a bit odd waiting a few seconds like a doorman. IMO.

Iron Lion Zion

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:59 - Feb 13 with 4319 viewshampstead_blue

I always offer. Just bought up to have old fashioned manners.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 17:01 - Feb 13 with 4316 viewsBenters2

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:39 - Feb 13 by Bluebell

I was offered a seat on a train not long ago by a young man and gratefully accepted. I didn't even think he took age into consideration and was just being a gentleman as I am a female.

What does annoy me is when people on trains take up more than one seat by putting their bags on the one next to them.

I always make a point of asking them move them so I can sit down. I have seen a lot of people standing all journey because they don't like to ask and the person taking up two seats is too ignorant to offer to move their stuff.

Change bag for rucksack and you have a 10 pager.
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 17:32 - Feb 13 with 4283 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:57 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not missing the point. I was replying to Sparks response to me agreeing with Lucan.

Yeah, and Lucan was missing the point. So by association, so are you.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024