Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? 14:04 - Feb 13 with 27913 viewsBrixtonBlue

There was an oldish, but not THAT old, woman got on my bus the other day. I went to offer my seat but then I thought, is she going to be offended that I'm suggesting she's old?

The reason I thought this is probably because my mum had someone offer her a seat a few years ago. She said it was nice but made her feel old.

So where do you stand?*

*pun intended

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:31 - Feb 13 with 3281 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:20 - Feb 13 by sparks

Its a bad analogy- because its based on a safety issue. A woman is not at risk, any more than a man is, because of standing on a train. But she is at a perceived increased risk walking home on her own- so its very different.

In fact, men are far more frequently the victims of violent crime in any event- so even the scenario you describe may be questionable.

I'm afraid we shall have to agree to disagree.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:31 - Feb 13 with 3288 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:20 - Feb 13 by slump

Call me inappropriate, but 'opportunistic groping' made me chuckle. :/

You wouldn't be chuckling if it happened to you.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:34 - Feb 13 with 3283 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:28 - Feb 13 by Superfrans

Cheers. Lucan still thinks I’m a misogynist pig though, I think. ☹️

As one of only two females on the thread (as far as I'm aware), I think your & Sparks' responses show quite the opposite fwiw

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:39 - Feb 13 with 3265 viewssparks

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:31 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

Let me understand your reasoning?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:43 - Feb 13 with 3262 viewscolchesterchris

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:31 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

What gives men sole authority in deciding what is or isn't an appropriate way to treat women though?

I agreed with you on the walk on girls issue with the darts, in that I supported the right of women to decide. Not trolling (nor offended by this, just an interesting subject), but shouldn't the same apply in this case? I'd be interested to see a poll of women and whether they find it necessary.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 20:44]

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:44 - Feb 13 with 3255 viewssparks

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:43 - Feb 13 by colchesterchris

What gives men sole authority in deciding what is or isn't an appropriate way to treat women though?

I agreed with you on the walk on girls issue with the darts, in that I supported the right of women to decide. Not trolling (nor offended by this, just an interesting subject), but shouldn't the same apply in this case? I'd be interested to see a poll of women and whether they find it necessary.

My position on the darts fwiw was that, crucially, no one was banning it- which must be right. Its a choice.

But it was also archaic so if organisers took the view that the time had come- that equally was their choice.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:45 - Feb 13 with 3247 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:43 - Feb 13 by colchesterchris

Just done a poll with my Mrs. She said she is all for chivalry and is sad that it is dying out. She is a fifty year old mother of four who runs her own business.

Edit. I haven't said that men should be the sole authority in deciding what is or isn't an appropriate way to treat women. I, like others, have said how we were brought up and conduct ourselves. I'm not forcing that view on anyone else.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 20:54]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:47 - Feb 13 with 3235 viewsRyorry

I'd love such a poll to be carried out on here, but fear the sample size would be too small to be considered a legitimate poll! Doubt there are more than 5 or 6 female TWTDers who post regularly? (would be delighted to be proved wrong!)

Login to get fewer ads

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:49 - Feb 13 with 3225 viewsLord_Lucan

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:44 - Feb 13 by sparks

My position on the darts fwiw was that, crucially, no one was banning it- which must be right. Its a choice.

But it was also archaic so if organisers took the view that the time had come- that equally was their choice.

It was a forced ban. Lot's of girls lost their jobs which they enjoyed.

Let's not go down there, it's been done.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:50 - Feb 13 with 3218 viewssparks

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:49 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

It was a forced ban. Lot's of girls lost their jobs which they enjoyed.

Let's not go down there, it's been done.

The organisers made a decision. There was no law imposed on them.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:56 - Feb 13 with 3189 viewscolchesterchris

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:47 - Feb 13 by Ryorry

I'd love such a poll to be carried out on here, but fear the sample size would be too small to be considered a legitimate poll! Doubt there are more than 5 or 6 female TWTDers who post regularly? (would be delighted to be proved wrong!)

Same, but fair point around sample size - the board would benefit no end from a more balanced demographic though!

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:58 - Feb 13 with 3175 viewsnorth_stand77

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:45 - Feb 13 by The_Romford_Blue

Whenever I’m on the tube and a woman or an old geezer gets on, I offer my seat. But not a lot of people do for some reason. Perhaps it’s cos I use the tube a lot less than them but I find it astounding that so many just ignore them standing.

It’s just manners innit. They don’t always accept but it’s nice to offer. Nice to be nice.

That's nice to hear Rommers.

You won't go far wrong in life if you have good manners and as my Grandad used to say 'Manners maketh the man'
Although I am of the female variety, l have always appreciated doors being held open/ seats offered etc but equally I have given up my seat to men and other ladies who look like they may need it more than me.

I would never be offended (now l am a little older😊) if a gentleman or lady offered me a seat - I would just think what lovely manners they had!
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 21:46]
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:59 - Feb 13 with 3167 viewsSpruceMoose

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:17 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

"he shouldn't be so tight"? What about equality. Why shouldn't she pay?

Besides he's a student and she only lives a few streets away.

Well, your scenario did rather suggest he was responsible for everyone getting home safely.

I would suggest they go halves. Then everything is fair, and everyone is alive.

Easy.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 21:01 - Feb 13 with 3163 viewsSpruceMoose

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:26 - Feb 13 by J2BLUE

You're being trolled.

Oh I know Glassers isn't being entirely serious, and I'm sure he has the smarts to know I am not either.

In fact, I would say that both of us are pretty un-trollable.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 21:01 - Feb 13 with 3164 viewsSuperfrans

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:58 - Feb 13 by north_stand77

That's nice to hear Rommers.

You won't go far wrong in life if you have good manners and as my Grandad used to say 'Manners maketh the man'
Although I am of the female variety, l have always appreciated doors being held open/ seats offered etc but equally I have given up my seat to men and other ladies who look like they may need it more than me.

I would never be offended (now l am a little older😊) if a gentleman or lady offered me a seat - I would just think what lovely manners they had!
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 21:46]

Interesting one.

I’m a 51 year old man. Slightly greying. Should a woman in her mid-twenties give up their seat for me?

(Whether I would take it is another matter, of course, I think I’d be mortified and would decline it. Not that this has ever happned to me, of course.)

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 21:02 - Feb 13 with 3154 viewsSpruceMoose

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 21:01 - Feb 13 by Superfrans

Interesting one.

I’m a 51 year old man. Slightly greying. Should a woman in her mid-twenties give up their seat for me?

(Whether I would take it is another matter, of course, I think I’d be mortified and would decline it. Not that this has ever happned to me, of course.)

You gots to work on your limp game, old timer.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 21:02]

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 21:22 - Feb 13 with 3139 viewsnorth_stand77

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 21:01 - Feb 13 by Superfrans

Interesting one.

I get that you would feel like that.

I should clarify that I probably wouldn't have offered an old man of 51 a seat, (even if he was slightly greying) when I was in my twenties!😊...he would have to have been considerably older or 'fragile '!
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 22:29 - Feb 13 with 3093 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 18:03 - Feb 13 by Benters2

Sorry chap x

It pleased Libby anyway.

Of course it did. Up-arrowing anything anyone says he thinks takes piss out of me, and down-arrowing anything *I* say, is his little hobby. That's all he's got left since I put him on ignore.

Quite sad really, but each to their own.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

on 22:39 - Feb 13 with 3071 views_

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 22:29 - Feb 13 by BrixtonBlue

Of course it did. Up-arrowing anything anyone says he thinks takes piss out of me, and down-arrowing anything *I* say, is his little hobby. That's all he's got left since I put him on ignore.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 22:48 - Feb 13 with 3073 viewsClapham_Junction

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:16 - Feb 13 by Johnny_Boy

What happens when you offer a heavily pregnant woman a seat - and she takes offence because she's actually just a fatty?

The 'Baby on board' badges are a great idea and pretty much guarantee people offering a seat to the wearer.
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 23:50 - Feb 13 with 3027 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:45 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

Just done a poll with my Mrs. She said she is all for chivalry and is sad that it is dying out. She is a fifty year old mother of four who runs her own business.

Edit. I haven't said that men should be the sole authority in deciding what is or isn't an appropriate way to treat women. I, like others, have said how we were brought up and conduct ourselves. I'm not forcing that view on anyone else.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 20:54]

I sniggered at the thought of you asking your missus, "Can I poll you?" and the startled look on her face.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 23:55 - Feb 13 with 3023 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 22:48 - Feb 13 by Clapham_Junction

The 'Baby on board' badges are a great idea and pretty much guarantee people offering a seat to the wearer.

No they don't, I've tried it to no avail.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 06:51 - Feb 14 with 2970 viewsBenters2

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 22:29 - Feb 13 by BrixtonBlue

Dont worry so.

I have a few who do that to me.

I even have one who has sent me a few pms telling me my arrow count.
on 07:25 - Feb 14 with 2958 views_

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 06:51 - Feb 14 by Benters2

Dont worry so.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:31 - Feb 14 with 2956 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 06:51 - Feb 14 by Benters2

Dont worry so.

Wow, they actually counted them?!?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024