Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? 14:04 - Feb 13 with 27914 viewsBrixtonBlue

There was an oldish, but not THAT old, woman got on my bus the other day. I went to offer my seat but then I thought, is she going to be offended that I'm suggesting she's old?

The reason I thought this is probably because my mum had someone offer her a seat a few years ago. She said it was nice but made her feel old.

So where do you stand?*

*pun intended

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:00 - Feb 14 with 1431 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 15:55 - Feb 14 by Lord_Lucan

I had a similar conversation with a now divorced couple that are family friends.

I could not understand why they had separate accounts. Surely if you are together as a family then everything goes in the pot. If I earn £5000 in a month and my wife earns £1 then together we have £5001 for a month (those figures are purely for an example).

The fact that Mr or Mrs X earns more and has more money to spend on themselves than the other seems utterly bizarre.

Surely it's a partnership.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 15:58]

How do you buy each other presents and stuff? How could I look after my bit on the side?(joke before anyone gets all holier than thou)

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:13 - Feb 14 with 1423 viewsLord_Lucan

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:00 - Feb 14 by GlasgowBlue

How do you buy each other presents and stuff? How could I look after my bit on the side?(joke before anyone gets all holier than thou)

We don't really buy each other presents, we just buy what we want when we want. Presents mean nothing because we need nothing. Sometimes on Christmas or Birthdays I might peak at our Amazon account and see what I've got coming, I might have a box of liquorice pipes.

For Christmas we give each other the same card every year.

Today for Valentines we gave each other a kiss and I slapped her bum. Neither received a card or present.

The Mrs never even got my 10p bunch of Waitrose roses, we thought they would only last a day so we put them straight out but annoyingly they are still going strong.

I do rather think people complicate life.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 16:14]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:18 - Feb 14 with 1412 viewsitfcjoe

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:00 - Feb 14 by GlasgowBlue

We just get each other little bits out of our monthly spending money - normally about £50 for birthday and Xmas. And if we want anything bigger we just get it when we need/want it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:21 - Feb 14 with 1403 viewsCotty

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 15:59 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

Me and my missus never argue about money, we sometimes worry but a lot of our friends bicker about pounds here and there and are always struggling with money when they earn decent amounts

Life is so much more relaxed if you just decide not to bicker over these things. Obviously much harder when times are tough. We might discover this for ourselves this year, we're probably overstretching a bit on house improvements.
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:26 - Feb 14 with 1395 viewsDarth_Koont

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:18 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

We just get each other little bits out of our monthly spending money - normally about £50 for birthday and Xmas. And if we want anything bigger we just get it when we need/want it

I read that as "We just get each others' bits out ..."

Which is another great conflict-resolution tactic.

Pronouns: He/Him

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:28 - Feb 14 with 1386 viewsitfcjoe

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:21 - Feb 14 by Cotty

Life is so much more relaxed if you just decide not to bicker over these things. Obviously much harder when times are tough. We might discover this for ourselves this year, we're probably overstretching a bit on house improvements.

It amazes me how un-joined up some couples are, especially once you've had kids. Have friends who feel like they are giving their wife an allowance and they should be in hock to them when they are on maternity leave. Weird.

The creeping up of interest rates worries me because our mortgage is quite high, but we have lots of equity so not going to kill us as can always move down - but still worrying

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:36 - Feb 14 with 1374 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:21 - Feb 14 by Cotty

Never mind other women/men/money/kids/the in-laws - house improvements, and heaven forbid, house *renovations*, are the no.1 breaker of any relationship in my experience ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:39 - Feb 14 with 1364 viewsCotty

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:36 - Feb 14 by Ryorry

Never mind other women/men/money/kids/the in-laws - house improvements, and heaven forbid, house *renovations*, are the no.1 breaker of any relationship in my experience ...

Ha, you may be right, I will let you know on the other side! It's the fun bit at the moment, just discussing stuff with the architect and drawing up plans. Looking after a baby with building work on 4 floors and no kitchen is going to be the tough bit.
Login to get fewer ads

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:40 - Feb 14 with 1357 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 16:39 - Feb 14 by Cotty

Ha, you may be right, I will let you know on the other side! It's the fun bit at the moment, just discussing stuff with the architect and drawing up plans. Looking after a baby with building work on 4 floors and no kitchen is going to be the tough bit.

Best of luck!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:22 - Feb 14 with 1324 viewsslump

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 12:29 - Feb 14 by Bluebell

Going back to the OP, which mentioned 'old' people, can I just say there are old people and old people. I know some 80 year olds who are as fit as anything and certainly don't look their age and may be offended to be offered a seat. There are other 40 year olds who struggle to stand for any length of time and would prefer to sit.

It all depends on the person.

I certainly agree with what GB is saying and Mr Bluebell will always give up a seat to older people or women carrying a child or anyone struggling to stand. We both also open doors for people and will offer to carry people's shopping if they are struggling. We were both taught politeness and manners by our parents and at school.

Why what I do hate is when I let someone out of a junction or open a door for a person they don't acknowledge or thank me?

Being acknowledged is overrated. Yes it's a nice to have but it's no bother really if it doesn't happen.

It's a very British trait, many other cultures find it weird

UTT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024