Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At what point do the fans become involved? 14:10 - Feb 13 with 50512 viewsFinidiCentenary

I remember a few years ago people expressing concerns over Evans and McCarthy. Even in the playoff season we were average to poor for the second half of the season and scraped in the playoffs on the final day after being top on Boxing Day. We have been terrible to watch for close to two years and only a small part of that has seen us picking up decent results.

Boxing Day 2014. It's over 3 years now since we've been regularly enjoyable to watch. 3 YEARS of Mick's 5 year reign. I know loyal fans who quit two seasons ago even when we were getting results because the football was so awful to sit through.

Yet we've seen nothing from the fans. I always assumed there would be, in a situation like this, a progression.

Fans unhappy / Fans very unhappy / Fans protesting / Fans boycotting / Fans disappearing for good

But we seem to have missed a stage. Fans have gone from being bored, unhappy and dismayed to just leaving altogether. No ST renewals, no returning. Gone.

At what stage do we get involved. Milne can say that Evans is aware of the rift but McCarthy is still giving it the big 'I might still be around'. It's preposterous.

I've seen plenty of mates who have followed the town for decades home and away just stop. Most haven't missed it. Most won't come back until Mick is gone. A large number of those I still see in the ground won't be back next year if Mick is here.

So what do the rest of us do. There's such an air of acceptance that people aren't even protesting, coming in late, walking out early, persistent chanting like with Jewell and Keane. It's like the club has sucked the passion from the fans so severely we can't even be bothered to protest.

I'd rather it was all going well on and off the pitch. But it isn't. Seems to me that we'll lose another 2,000 ST holders quietly before anybody actually does anything. If it's still this bad by the next home game I really hope people start acting.

I remember Duncan out chants. I remember protests. I remember fans on the pitch (I think after a 2-0 home defeat to Coventry when Wright made his debut or shortly after). I remember bed sheets (lol). I remember 'Sort it out' chants. We've had a few half hearted 'You're football is sh*t chants'. That's it.

We aren't going up or down. It can't make the players perform any worse than they were against Burton. Should we inevitably lose to Norwich now is the time for people to actually let Evans know how we feel. His image is something he cares about.

Losing 2,000 ST holders last year didn't work. Fans being disgruntled and breaking the lowest crowd record doesn't work. He's pumping £6m in. He's not really bothered about losing a few hundred grand next year is he.

The only thing that will work is bringing attention to the fact we consider him to be the bigger problem. Until we actually start having a voice and doing something, rather than accepting the status quo, the sooner we have a chance of getting our club back.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 14:14]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:19 - Feb 13 with 13440 viewsBluefish

I will be honest i haven't read 95% of that but from the gist of the title and opening I am going to answer it anyway. The fans have intervened and Mick will go in the summer. Time will tell if someone else can do more with so little. In terms of Marcus what are you expecting/hoping for? Protest as much as you like but you can't drive him out more than he probably already wants out.

As I have said a lot there isn't a list of out of contract owners that we can sign up. The real alternative to a buyer appearing is winding the club up, I know some of our melts say they would rather have that but they are a little bit stupid. If a buyer was avaialble it would have happened already. I have suspicions that there could be something being lined up for the end of this season but if there isn't isn't nothing the fans will do will change it

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:21 - Feb 13 with 13419 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:19 - Feb 13 by Bluefish

I will be honest i haven't read 95% of that but from the gist of the title and opening I am going to answer it anyway. The fans have intervened and Mick will go in the summer. Time will tell if someone else can do more with so little. In terms of Marcus what are you expecting/hoping for? Protest as much as you like but you can't drive him out more than he probably already wants out.

As I have said a lot there isn't a list of out of contract owners that we can sign up. The real alternative to a buyer appearing is winding the club up, I know some of our melts say they would rather have that but they are a little bit stupid. If a buyer was avaialble it would have happened already. I have suspicions that there could be something being lined up for the end of this season but if there isn't isn't nothing the fans will do will change it

But the fans can change it.

If nobody turned up to the Cardiff game it would be well publicised and of huge embarrassment to Evans. It would also suggest that financially he's about to take a huge hit.

We can't do much. But we can do something. It's the fact that people seem to have completely given up trying to do anything I find sad.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:25 - Feb 13 with 13407 viewsBluefish

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:21 - Feb 13 by FinidiCentenary

If nobody turned up to the Cardiff game it would be well publicised and of huge embarrassment to Evans. It would also suggest that financially he's about to take a huge hit.

We can't do much. But we can do something. It's the fact that people seem to have completely given up trying to do anything I find sad.

So without a buyer his choice would be plug the losses even further or wind the club up.

Sounds a great plan

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:27 - Feb 13 with 13394 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:21 - Feb 13 by FinidiCentenary

What exactly are you protesting against? The manager? He's overachieved relative to his budget every year except last where he finished pretty much par. The owner? He's chucking in £6m a year just to keep us afloat and vaguely competitive. We'd look very silly boycotting a game, we're 12th in the league and very stable and boring, it's not the disaster some people want to paint it as. It surprises me that anyone who can look at our situation with even a shred of objectivity thinks that an actual organised protest will do anything other than makes us look like a bunch of idiots.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:29 - Feb 13 with 13388 viewsIllinoisblue

erm... "I know loyal fans who quit"

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:35 - Feb 13 with 13373 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:25 - Feb 13 by Bluefish

So without a buyer his choice would be plug the losses even further or wind the club up.

Sounds a great plan

Why does this ridiculous suggestion that the club will be wound up persist?

You really think Evans is so spiteful that he'd rather wind the club up than sell it for £20m or £10m or £5m?

Someone would buy it. It would make no sense at all to wind it up and the Football League would step in anyway if an owner tried to just destroy a club.

This is the exact attitude that's utterly pathetic. Evans is slowly killing the club but I'll stand by and let it happen because he might wind the club up! Lollicopter.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:36 - Feb 13 with 13372 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:29 - Feb 13 by Illinoisblue

erm... "I know loyal fans who quit"

So someone that's had a season ticket for 25 years but has stopped going can't have been a loyal fan?

Even if they are not a loyal fan in your eyes now, they were at the time they decided to walk away. Which is deeply worrying.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:42 - Feb 13 with 13355 viewsBasuco

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:35 - Feb 13 by FinidiCentenary

You really think Evans is so spiteful that he'd rather wind the club up than sell it for £20m or £10m or £5m?

Someone would buy it. It would make no sense at all to wind it up and the Football League would step in anyway if an owner tried to just destroy a club.

This is the exact attitude that's utterly pathetic. Evans is slowly killing the club but I'll stand by and let it happen because he might wind the club up! Lollicopter.

"someone would buy it" I am sure there are not many potential owners just waiting to pump millions of pounds into the bottomless football money pit. You know as well as the rest of us do that this is not going to happen, so just sit back and wait until the end of the season and see what happens. Anything else is just plain stupid.
Login to get fewer ads

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:46 - Feb 13 with 13345 viewsIllinoisblue

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:36 - Feb 13 by FinidiCentenary

So someone that's had a season ticket for 25 years but has stopped going can't have been a loyal fan?

Even if they are not a loyal fan in your eyes now, they were at the time they decided to walk away. Which is deeply worrying.

ox·y·mo·ron

noun

a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction

62 - 78 - 81

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:53 - Feb 13 with 13315 viewsGlasgowBlue

Who is queuing up to buy the club?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:55 - Feb 13 with 13310 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:53 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

Who is queuing up to buy the club?

I'm sure any minute now you'll explain why the position we are in is labours fault.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:58 - Feb 13 with 13298 viewslongtimefan

If someone offered ME £20M he’d bite their arms off.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:59 - Feb 13 with 13300 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:42 - Feb 13 by Basuco

"someone would buy it" I am sure there are not many potential owners just waiting to pump millions of pounds into the bottomless football money pit. You know as well as the rest of us do that this is not going to happen, so just sit back and wait until the end of the season and see what happens. Anything else is just plain stupid.

Evans bought the club with £32m debt for a for a small amount of that.

I am sure there are plenty of people that would buy the club from Evans now for £10m - £20m, agree to invest in the team and give him a top up on promotion.

Look at the money in the game now, which is only going up. The PL is the promised land. We are only a few points outside the playoffs already. You honestly think there aren't people out there looking at Championship clubs and thinking they could come in, invest £30m like Wolves had and immediately quadruple their investment?

Evans had the right idea. He just gave the money to the wrong managers. Burley or Royle would have got us promoted with that cash. Bloody hell Mick would've done.

There are only 24 Championship clubs, all a season away from a £200m jackpot. You don't think it's worth someone with deep pockets pumping £50m in to buy the club and buy players for a decent chance of a huge return?

Unfortunately, these people don't contact me prior to buying clubs but given that clubs continue to get bought, even when in debt, it's clearly something that's possible.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:06 - Feb 13 with 13276 viewsGuthrum

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:42 - Feb 13 by Basuco

The main pool of potential buyers currently seems to be Asian (particularly Far Eastern) "businessmen" wishing to get a foothold in the UK.

They have the cash to invest at least in a Barnsley or Huddersfield scenario, if not a full-blown Cardiff. And the potential rewards from being in the Prem are enormous. Ipswich are not badly positioned as a vehicle for doing something like that, being only one promotion away.

Only question is, with the money already put in by Evans (which probably influences his asking price), is the club too expensive to make it worthwhile?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:06 - Feb 13 with 13275 viewsBenters2

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:36 - Feb 13 by FinidiCentenary

Give up mate.

You wont get any joy on here.

Funny enough one of those you are arguing with doesnt even go to the games.
on 15:07 - Feb 13 with 13254 views_

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:06 - Feb 13 by Benters2

Give up mate.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:10 - Feb 13 with 13249 viewsBenters2

on 15:07 - Feb 13 by _

Not another one!
At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:15 - Feb 13 with 13235 viewsSteve_M

New user name, same desperate fishing for up arrows.

Average to poor for the second half of 2014-15? Over the top revisionism, home form was very good, away good to middling. It wasn't as good as the few months previously but a small squad caught up with us as players lost form.

I can't be bothered critiquing the rest.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:20 - Feb 13 with 13213 viewsFtnfwest

We weren’t that enjoyable to watch even berfore that, certainly not regularly. The fabled Charlton away game where little hunt got the 96th minute winner was only enjoyable once that happened. We, as per usual were bl**dy awful for the 95 minutes before that (though ‘efficient’).
At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:30 - Feb 13 with 13174 viewsRadlett_blue

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:06 - Feb 13 by Guthrum

The main pool of potential buyers currently seems to be Asian (particularly Far Eastern) "businessmen" wishing to get a foothold in the UK.

They have the cash to invest at least in a Barnsley or Huddersfield scenario, if not a full-blown Cardiff. And the potential rewards from being in the Prem are enormous. Ipswich are not badly positioned as a vehicle for doing something like that, being only one promotion away.

Only question is, with the money already put in by Evans (which probably influences his asking price), is the club too expensive to make it worthwhile?

ITFC, like most assets, is worth what someone else is prepared to pay.
The money Evans has already "invested" or lost is irrelevant. He knows he will have to write off the debts owed by Town to MEG to make Town saleable. I believe Evans is open to offers, but think he is holding out for £20m+, which may be a bit steep given declining home gates & the fact that a new owner will have to be willing to fund annual operating losses of >£5m if Town are to be anywhere near competitive.
Also, Evans doesn't have to sell, but he will have to be willing to keep losing £5m or so a year & also watch Town's sale value decline as crowds continue to fall.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:30 - Feb 13 with 13168 viewsIllinoisblue

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:06 - Feb 13 by Benters2

Give up mate.

seen about 75% of our games this season

62 - 78 - 81

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:38 - Feb 13 with 13136 viewsGlasgowBlue

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:55 - Feb 13 by FinidiCentenary

I'm sure any minute now you'll explain why the position we are in is labours fault.

Well, you seem to coming across as entitled as most of their fan boys so you may have accidentally fallen over a genuine point.

Now perhaps you'd like to answer the question and inform us all who is queuing up to buy our football club?
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 15:52]

Iron Lion Zion

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:49 - Feb 13 with 13109 viewsBluefish

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:38 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

Well, you seem to coming across as entitled as most of their fan boys so you may have accidentally fallen over a genuine point.

Now perhaps you'd like to answer the question and inform us all who is queuing up to buy our football club?
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 15:52]

Who did this poster used to be GB. He is impressive in his stupidity

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:52 - Feb 13 with 13104 viewsGlasgowBlue

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:49 - Feb 13 by Bluefish

Who did this poster used to be GB. He is impressive in his stupidity

Can't say I have noticed him before mate. Doubt I'll notice him again.

Iron Lion Zion

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:01 - Feb 13 with 13090 viewsBenters2

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:30 - Feb 13 by Illinoisblue

seen about 75% of our games this season

I wasnt talking about you
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024