Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At what point do the fans become involved? 14:10 - Feb 13 with 50532 viewsFinidiCentenary

I remember a few years ago people expressing concerns over Evans and McCarthy. Even in the playoff season we were average to poor for the second half of the season and scraped in the playoffs on the final day after being top on Boxing Day. We have been terrible to watch for close to two years and only a small part of that has seen us picking up decent results.

Boxing Day 2014. It's over 3 years now since we've been regularly enjoyable to watch. 3 YEARS of Mick's 5 year reign. I know loyal fans who quit two seasons ago even when we were getting results because the football was so awful to sit through.

Yet we've seen nothing from the fans. I always assumed there would be, in a situation like this, a progression.

Fans unhappy / Fans very unhappy / Fans protesting / Fans boycotting / Fans disappearing for good

But we seem to have missed a stage. Fans have gone from being bored, unhappy and dismayed to just leaving altogether. No ST renewals, no returning. Gone.

At what stage do we get involved. Milne can say that Evans is aware of the rift but McCarthy is still giving it the big 'I might still be around'. It's preposterous.

I've seen plenty of mates who have followed the town for decades home and away just stop. Most haven't missed it. Most won't come back until Mick is gone. A large number of those I still see in the ground won't be back next year if Mick is here.

So what do the rest of us do. There's such an air of acceptance that people aren't even protesting, coming in late, walking out early, persistent chanting like with Jewell and Keane. It's like the club has sucked the passion from the fans so severely we can't even be bothered to protest.

I'd rather it was all going well on and off the pitch. But it isn't. Seems to me that we'll lose another 2,000 ST holders quietly before anybody actually does anything. If it's still this bad by the next home game I really hope people start acting.

I remember Duncan out chants. I remember protests. I remember fans on the pitch (I think after a 2-0 home defeat to Coventry when Wright made his debut or shortly after). I remember bed sheets (lol). I remember 'Sort it out' chants. We've had a few half hearted 'You're football is sh*t chants'. That's it.

We aren't going up or down. It can't make the players perform any worse than they were against Burton. Should we inevitably lose to Norwich now is the time for people to actually let Evans know how we feel. His image is something he cares about.

Losing 2,000 ST holders last year didn't work. Fans being disgruntled and breaking the lowest crowd record doesn't work. He's pumping £6m in. He's not really bothered about losing a few hundred grand next year is he.

The only thing that will work is bringing attention to the fact we consider him to be the bigger problem. Until we actually start having a voice and doing something, rather than accepting the status quo, the sooner we have a chance of getting our club back.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 14:14]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:39 - Feb 17 with 5277 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:48 - Feb 17 by blueconscience

So other owners dont have running costs on top of squad investments?

This is the bit herb doesn’t get.

22/24 championship clubs run at similar to greater losses but we seem to be one of the smallest spenders.

So Evans against other owners is tight as fook.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:00 - Feb 17 with 5257 viewsartsbossbeard

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:39 - Feb 17 by FinidiCentenary

This is the bit herb doesn’t get.

22/24 championship clubs run at similar to greater losses but we seem to be one of the smallest spenders.

So Evans against other owners is tight as fook.

Rejoice!

I've just driven past Portman Road and there's a mile long queue of potential owners outside presently. Sheiks, Russian Oligarchs & Big Corporation owners by the look of thing.

That'll serve Evans right for saving us from administration, 10 point deduction and lower league football. Now, that would have been something to moan about.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:17 - Feb 17 with 5235 viewsKeaneish

At what point do the fans become involved? on 07:52 - Feb 17 by Herbivore

Perhaps if more fans attended the club would have more money to invest in the squad?

How much of his money do you think ME should be putting in each season if £6m isn't enough?
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 7:55]

Can we put this £6 million a year chat into some sort of perspective because i think everyone's a bit sick of it now. Evans was reported to be worth £765 million in 2016 which is more than primary shareholder owners of clubs like Boro, Hull, Derby in the Championship and clubs like West ham, West Brom, Watford, Palace and Bournemouth in the PL according to a report in the Ipswich Star (yes, its the Star but still).

If we take it as gospel that Evans invests £6 million a year, which companies house figures say he does, this is a 0.78% annual investment out of his overall combined wealth. Given that the average national UK wage is £27,500 and the cheapest season adult ticket sales are £423, this comes at a 1.52% investment from fans.
This for me puts it into some perspective about how little Evans invest and that's not even including the profit we made from player sales in 2015, which was around 4.5 million if memory serves me correctly.

Evans invests less of his wealth in ITFC than i pay in pension contributions each month which goes out of my account unnoticed.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:34 - Feb 17 with 5223 viewsartsbossbeard

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:17 - Feb 17 by Keaneish

Can we put this £6 million a year chat into some sort of perspective because i think everyone's a bit sick of it now. Evans was reported to be worth £765 million in 2016 which is more than primary shareholder owners of clubs like Boro, Hull, Derby in the Championship and clubs like West ham, West Brom, Watford, Palace and Bournemouth in the PL according to a report in the Ipswich Star (yes, its the Star but still).

If we take it as gospel that Evans invests £6 million a year, which companies house figures say he does, this is a 0.78% annual investment out of his overall combined wealth. Given that the average national UK wage is £27,500 and the cheapest season adult ticket sales are £423, this comes at a 1.52% investment from fans.
This for me puts it into some perspective about how little Evans invest and that's not even including the profit we made from player sales in 2015, which was around 4.5 million if memory serves me correctly.

Evans invests less of his wealth in ITFC than i pay in pension contributions each month which goes out of my account unnoticed.

So, we're after that sweet spot of ownership where their own personal investment into the club is all encompassing and then you'll come back?

What's your financial contribution currently?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:56 - Feb 17 with 5211 viewsKeaneish

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:34 - Feb 17 by artsbossbeard

So, we're after that sweet spot of ownership where their own personal investment into the club is all encompassing and then you'll come back?

What's your financial contribution currently?

All encompassing? It's half of what people on an average salary stump up for a season ticket. Imagine if he fell in line with what fans are being asked to pay, that would double what Mick gets to spend and imagine where we'd be...

The bigger picture is that if you continually pay into the pot, things will never change. Evans will stick with the same policy and Mick will likely be out of a job as a result. The only way to force Evans to even contemplate a change of strategy is if you hit his pocket to force his hand. The irony being that if its done in enough time, it might see Mick stay in a job and get more funds.

Now, i personally don't give a sh*t about MM. He's another Evans mouthpiece waxing lyrical about how much the owner puts into the club and at the same time barracking fans, which for me, is someone who upholds the establishment rather than looking after his own. The fundamental point is, this 6 million figure is nominal.

I pay nothing to the club at the moment and i have no shame in saying it. 18,500 opening day of the season. 13,500 against Burton. There's no martyrdom (Herbivore's words) in not going and there's none in going but this gradual decline in attendances is pitiful on both fronts. There either needs to be a concerted effort by everyone to show displeasure, even just for one game or nothing at all. Sadly, no-one can agree the best course of action and our chances of success are impacted as a result.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:56 - Feb 17 with 5205 viewsnshearman1

At what point do the fans become involved? on 19:50 - Feb 16 by longtimefan

And you’re calling him patronising

OK, a small confession! I decided to treat Herb as he does others, constantly sniping and picking away like a demented chihuahua nipping at your ankles, along with a fair amount of patronising sarcastic ridicule and scorn. And guess what? He doesn't like it! Anyway, my work is done - back to being a boring and hopefully respectful poster now!
At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:58 - Feb 17 with 5204 viewsnshearman1

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:56 - Feb 17 by Keaneish

All encompassing? It's half of what people on an average salary stump up for a season ticket. Imagine if he fell in line with what fans are being asked to pay, that would double what Mick gets to spend and imagine where we'd be...

The bigger picture is that if you continually pay into the pot, things will never change. Evans will stick with the same policy and Mick will likely be out of a job as a result. The only way to force Evans to even contemplate a change of strategy is if you hit his pocket to force his hand. The irony being that if its done in enough time, it might see Mick stay in a job and get more funds.

Now, i personally don't give a sh*t about MM. He's another Evans mouthpiece waxing lyrical about how much the owner puts into the club and at the same time barracking fans, which for me, is someone who upholds the establishment rather than looking after his own. The fundamental point is, this 6 million figure is nominal.

I pay nothing to the club at the moment and i have no shame in saying it. 18,500 opening day of the season. 13,500 against Burton. There's no martyrdom (Herbivore's words) in not going and there's none in going but this gradual decline in attendances is pitiful on both fronts. There either needs to be a concerted effort by everyone to show displeasure, even just for one game or nothing at all. Sadly, no-one can agree the best course of action and our chances of success are impacted as a result.

Agree with this. Personally I don't think Mick will be going anywhere in spite of his suggestions otherwise, it suits ME and I think Mick will want to prove his critics wrong.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:21 - Feb 17 with 5200 viewsKeaneish

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:58 - Feb 17 by nshearman1

Agree with this. Personally I don't think Mick will be going anywhere in spite of his suggestions otherwise, it suits ME and I think Mick will want to prove his critics wrong.

I'm really not sure, which way its going to swing. For all concerned, a decision should be made ahead of the summer, not during it though.

Login to get fewer ads

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:04 - Feb 17 with 5177 viewsartsbossbeard

Cheers for clarifying.

You can see how some, not I, would think that you're a bit fickle though, surely?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:05 - Feb 17 with 5178 viewsSlambo

If you want to make yourself heard mate, join the supporter's club! That's what i've done. Had a meeting only the other day and came up with some great ideas and strategies. We seem to have forgotten how to unite and organise ourselves. Contact details are on the club website...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:41 - Feb 17 with 5155 viewsBenters2

18500 thanks to giving away 1000 tickets.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:43 - Feb 17 with 5152 viewsKeaneish

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:04 - Feb 17 by artsbossbeard

Cheers for clarifying.

You can see how some, not I, would think that you're a bit fickle though, surely?

Absolutely but then again it costs nearly £120 a game for me where as it costs a fraction of that for those who live in Ipswich, which gives it a slightly different complexion given what we discussed earlier. If Evans wants to do the bare minimum and the football has been for the large part, dire, its difficult to justify paying that sort of cash each week.

I followed Burley, Royle and Magilton up and down the country, Keane with decreasing enthusiasm, Jewell occasionally and McCarthy sparingly, certainly in the last few seasons. That's a lot of cash and time put into this football club. I'm by no means a die hard any more but i'll be back when there's some kind of meaningful change and that for me means new management or greater investment on some level of parity with what fans are asked to put in.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:40 - Feb 17 with 5083 viewsBenters2

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:05 - Feb 17 by Slambo

If you want to make yourself heard mate, join the supporter's club! That's what i've done. Had a meeting only the other day and came up with some great ideas and strategies. We seem to have forgotten how to unite and organise ourselves. Contact details are on the club website...

What did you talk about?

Toilet rolls?

An extra plastic fork in the lower north?
At what point do the fans become involved? on 18:30 - Feb 17 with 5059 viewslongtimefan

You seem to be equating wealth in ME case and income in others. Totally different and flawed comparison.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 18:31 - Feb 17 with 5059 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:48 - Feb 17 by blueconscience

So other owners dont have running costs on top of squad investments?

Running costs and investment in the squad aren't two separate things. Running costs include wages and the academy, both of which are investing in the squad, as well as him investing in fees and loans.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 18:35 - Feb 17 with 5054 viewsHerbivore

Come on, pal. Evans' estimated wealth is just that, an estimate of his wealth. It includes the value of his assets and companies, it's not how much cash he has knocking around. It's also certainly not how much he earns a year, which is what it would need to be for your comparison to remotely work.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 19:12 - Feb 17 with 5031 viewsKeaneish

At what point do the fans become involved? on 18:35 - Feb 17 by Herbivore

Come on, pal. Evans' estimated wealth is just that, an estimate of his wealth. It includes the value of his assets and companies, it's not how much cash he has knocking around. It's also certainly not how much he earns a year, which is what it would need to be for your comparison to remotely work.

What a surprise, a point of conjecture. He reportedly has a cash flow of 100 million, which would mean the £6 million is 6% of his liquid assists. Whichever way you want to spin it, it’s paltry and he shells out a pittance in the grand scheme of being a football club owner. How much he decides to take in salary and dividends is also irrelevant in this context. He’s a football club owner, not a fan on an average salary. The comparison is correct because it’s about means. While his means may be tied up, he has the means to invest more but doesn’t.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 19:09 - Mar 11 with 4891 viewsSlambo

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:40 - Feb 17 by Benters2

What did you talk about?

Toilet rolls?

Only just seen your smart alec reply. You continue to huff and puff in front of you laptop screen buh, i'm out making an effort. We drafted a whole new ticket pricing policy - simple, streamlined, and much more relative to what fans can afford/should be expected to pay for mid table Champ football. Submitted it to Milne et al, and based on what he said today, we may even have gotten through. We're also lobbying to get the away fans moved down towards the North Stand...but if we don't start getting heard - specifically on the ticket price issue - me and a few of the others will be starting an independent group and start slamming the Management in the media until they start to listen. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution matey...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

At what point do the fans become involved? on 19:50 - Mar 11 with 4857 viewsSomethingBlue

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:40 - Feb 17 by Benters2

What did you talk about?

Toilet rolls?

I know for a fact here that you're being a d7ck to the wrong person — but don't let that stop you spending an astonishing chunk of your life spitting miserable venom from behind a keyboard.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

At what point do the fans become involved? on 22:47 - Mar 11 with 4825 viewsFelstow1978

ITFC fans can spend as much time and energy as they want in bashing their keyboards in desperation at our Club's current plight. But it's only direct action a la West Ham fans that will actually make change happen. A suitably energised demonstration aimed at the directors's box and a few mass pitch invasions will achieve far more than TWTD ever can ... how many of you on here actually believe Milne and and Evans ever bother to read our posts?? If the fans can't find the stomach to stand up and grab attention and headlines through public disorder then they sadly deserve the current regime and passively accept the demise of our Club.

Poll: Isn't it time that HRH Shesgotmyballsinherhand stops feeling the need to preach?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:09 - Mar 12 with 4774 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 22:47 - Mar 11 by Felstow1978

ITFC fans can spend as much time and energy as they want in bashing their keyboards in desperation at our Club's current plight. But it's only direct action a la West Ham fans that will actually make change happen. A suitably energised demonstration aimed at the directors's box and a few mass pitch invasions will achieve far more than TWTD ever can ... how many of you on here actually believe Milne and and Evans ever bother to read our posts?? If the fans can't find the stomach to stand up and grab attention and headlines through public disorder then they sadly deserve the current regime and passively accept the demise of our Club.

You think we should be invading the pitch because we're 12th in the Championship and feeling a bit bored?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:24 - Mar 12 with 4764 viewsBluebell

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:05 - Feb 17 by Slambo

That's all very well but do any of your "great ideas and strategies" ever go any further than between yourselves?

I am not knocking anyone who wants to try to make things better (unfortunately living so far away I couldn't attend any meetings like that) but do you feel that the 'powers that be' will listen to anything you discuss?
At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:39 - Mar 12 with 4752 viewsrickw

I'm not sure what can be done, Evans invests more money than what a PLC could, even if we found another rich owner there are at least as many bad ones as there are good....

MM is over-achieving with his relatively small budget, however it's with defensive and boring football. A percentage of fans seem happy with the facts of Evans investing and MM over-achieving however I think the bigger picture is the falling attendances.

We are losing long-term fans and how many kids are going to watch these 0-0 draws and think "wow I want to do that every week!!"? Basically we'll soon have the attendances of a L1 club and as soon as Mick goes that's where we'll be.

I think despite good results (especially away from home) we need to change the manager to inspire & entertain the fans again before too many are lost for good. My fear is the injuries to Bishop, Dozzell, Huws and Adeyemi offer MM an excuse for the level of football for this season and he'll be given another in the hope they'll be fit and with them he can play successful entertaining football. While I think successful could be a possibility he's never played entertaining football, so he still has to go.....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:03 - Mar 12 with 4744 viewslongtimefan

At what point do the fans become involved? on 22:47 - Mar 11 by Felstow1978

I think you need to be careful about encouraging pitch invasions - legally this could be classed as incitement to commit an illegal act! Mind you I suppose a 3 year banning order could solve people’s dilemia about whether to go or not
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024