Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At what point do the fans become involved? 14:10 - Feb 13 with 50537 viewsFinidiCentenary

I remember a few years ago people expressing concerns over Evans and McCarthy. Even in the playoff season we were average to poor for the second half of the season and scraped in the playoffs on the final day after being top on Boxing Day. We have been terrible to watch for close to two years and only a small part of that has seen us picking up decent results.

Boxing Day 2014. It's over 3 years now since we've been regularly enjoyable to watch. 3 YEARS of Mick's 5 year reign. I know loyal fans who quit two seasons ago even when we were getting results because the football was so awful to sit through.

Yet we've seen nothing from the fans. I always assumed there would be, in a situation like this, a progression.

Fans unhappy / Fans very unhappy / Fans protesting / Fans boycotting / Fans disappearing for good

But we seem to have missed a stage. Fans have gone from being bored, unhappy and dismayed to just leaving altogether. No ST renewals, no returning. Gone.

At what stage do we get involved. Milne can say that Evans is aware of the rift but McCarthy is still giving it the big 'I might still be around'. It's preposterous.

I've seen plenty of mates who have followed the town for decades home and away just stop. Most haven't missed it. Most won't come back until Mick is gone. A large number of those I still see in the ground won't be back next year if Mick is here.

So what do the rest of us do. There's such an air of acceptance that people aren't even protesting, coming in late, walking out early, persistent chanting like with Jewell and Keane. It's like the club has sucked the passion from the fans so severely we can't even be bothered to protest.

I'd rather it was all going well on and off the pitch. But it isn't. Seems to me that we'll lose another 2,000 ST holders quietly before anybody actually does anything. If it's still this bad by the next home game I really hope people start acting.

I remember Duncan out chants. I remember protests. I remember fans on the pitch (I think after a 2-0 home defeat to Coventry when Wright made his debut or shortly after). I remember bed sheets (lol). I remember 'Sort it out' chants. We've had a few half hearted 'You're football is sh*t chants'. That's it.

We aren't going up or down. It can't make the players perform any worse than they were against Burton. Should we inevitably lose to Norwich now is the time for people to actually let Evans know how we feel. His image is something he cares about.

Losing 2,000 ST holders last year didn't work. Fans being disgruntled and breaking the lowest crowd record doesn't work. He's pumping £6m in. He's not really bothered about losing a few hundred grand next year is he.

The only thing that will work is bringing attention to the fact we consider him to be the bigger problem. Until we actually start having a voice and doing something, rather than accepting the status quo, the sooner we have a chance of getting our club back.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 14:14]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Feckin hallelujah on 20:37 - Feb 13 with 4808 viewsunstableblue

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:20 - Feb 13 by Ftnfwest

We weren’t that enjoyable to watch even berfore that, certainly not regularly. The fabled Charlton away game where little hunt got the 96th minute winner was only enjoyable once that happened. We, as per usual were bl**dy awful for the 95 minutes before that (though ‘efficient’).

That was the problem with that period where Mick was still being lauded like the play-off season. The wheels had already fallen off, the Football was already sh!t to watch. Last minute goal or not.

Good point well made.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 20:56 - Feb 13 with 4794 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 20:30 - Feb 13 by Bluedandy

Not as tiresome as the self-righteous keyboard Evanistas who boorishly defend this disastrous regime day in and day out.

Nothing to protest about - what planet are you on? Clueless Evans has overseen the worst decade of league football since the 1950s.

I know let's wait until League One becomes a reality along with average crowds of 6K and then tut with mild disapproval.

So what's the aim of your protest what what specifically are you protesting against?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Feckin hallelujah on 22:05 - Feb 13 with 4769 viewsSwansea_Blue

Feckin hallelujah on 20:37 - Feb 13 by unstableblue

That was the problem with that period where Mick was still being lauded like the play-off season. The wheels had already fallen off, the Football was already sh!t to watch. Last minute goal or not.

Good point well made.

Sleep Suffolk innit. People won't get involved, they'll just continue to drift away. Quietly, so they don't make a scene and wake up their neighbour.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Feckin hallelujah on 22:40 - Feb 13 with 4750 viewsFreddy

Feckin hallelujah on 22:05 - Feb 13 by Swansea_Blue

Sleep Suffolk innit. People won't get involved, they'll just continue to drift away. Quietly, so they don't make a scene and wake up their neighbour.

Was going to say the same, fans just drift away quietly & wont make their feelings known
Feckin hallelujah on 03:53 - Feb 14 with 4710 viewsBenters2

Feckin hallelujah on 22:40 - Feb 13 by Freddy

Was going to say the same, fans just drift away quietly & wont make their feelings known

Those that dare to voice an opinion are labelled D1ckheads,idiots,bed wetters and simple farm hands.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 05:03 - Feb 14 with 4698 viewsbraveblue

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:19 - Feb 13 by Bluefish

I will be honest i haven't read 95% of that but from the gist of the title and opening I am going to answer it anyway. The fans have intervened and Mick will go in the summer. Time will tell if someone else can do more with so little. In terms of Marcus what are you expecting/hoping for? Protest as much as you like but you can't drive him out more than he probably already wants out.

As I have said a lot there isn't a list of out of contract owners that we can sign up. The real alternative to a buyer appearing is winding the club up, I know some of our melts say they would rather have that but they are a little bit stupid. If a buyer was avaialble it would have happened already. I have suspicions that there could be something being lined up for the end of this season but if there isn't isn't nothing the fans will do will change it

Why bother if you only read 5%?
At what point do the fans become involved? on 06:52 - Feb 14 with 4684 viewsKeaneish

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:49 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

This pretending to be some sort of martyr sacrificing yourself for the greater good is really tiresome. You just don't want to go anymore, and that's fine. I also like how your first paragraph basically reinforces that we have nothing really to protest about but we should protest anyway.

I don’t consider myself a martyr. I just don’t accept apathy as a means to an end. I see it as futile. Not sure what you’re reading in my first paragraph to suggest we don’t have anything to protest about. We’re unhappy, that in itself is reason for action. It’s about time fans started getting angry. The lack of motivation on this forum is excruciatingly painful and we deserve everything we’re getting at the moment through our inability to strike up any kind of unified discord. It’s pitiful. Lets be honest though, the demographic on here is largely middle aged men with kids who occasionally take them to games - probably the least inclined of any generation of fan to voice discontent publicly.

On a separate note, in recent posts you’ve called me arrogant, tiresome and a martyr now as well as making some nonsense lad comment about someone ‘horsing one into my girlfriend’. I think at worst I’ve called you a bad sparring partner. If you don’t like my posts, stop engaging in dialogue. I’d be happier if there were a handful off this site too but that’s not going to happen so keep the personal comments to yourself.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 06:56 - Feb 14 with 4678 viewsBenters2

At what point do the fans become involved? on 06:52 - Feb 14 by Keaneish

I don’t consider myself a martyr. I just don’t accept apathy as a means to an end. I see it as futile. Not sure what you’re reading in my first paragraph to suggest we don’t have anything to protest about. We’re unhappy, that in itself is reason for action. It’s about time fans started getting angry. The lack of motivation on this forum is excruciatingly painful and we deserve everything we’re getting at the moment through our inability to strike up any kind of unified discord. It’s pitiful. Lets be honest though, the demographic on here is largely middle aged men with kids who occasionally take them to games - probably the least inclined of any generation of fan to voice discontent publicly.

On a separate note, in recent posts you’ve called me arrogant, tiresome and a martyr now as well as making some nonsense lad comment about someone ‘horsing one into my girlfriend’. I think at worst I’ve called you a bad sparring partner. If you don’t like my posts, stop engaging in dialogue. I’d be happier if there were a handful off this site too but that’s not going to happen so keep the personal comments to yourself.

Good man!

Are you going Sunday?
Login to get fewer ads

At what point do the fans become involved? on 07:09 - Feb 14 with 4679 viewsartsbossbeard

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:46 - Feb 13 by Keaneish

Your points are bang on. I'm not sure why there's such fear about demonstrating or boycotting. I have no idea what people are afraid of. The common rhetoric is that Evans puts money to keep us afloat. So what? Doesn't have anything to do with the way we perceive him to run the club, which none of us are happy about. Another opinion you'll find is that we'll look stupid boyoctting given where we are in the league. Why? It doesn't have to get really bad in the table to protest. The more constant is that MM is over achieving on a little budget. So what? I'm sure he would be the prime beneficiary if we did spur ME into some kind of action.

Would it get worse after a protest? Yeah, maybe it could but id rather that than not do anything at all. Its limp, weak and sadly pathetic that we can't mobilise ourselves into some kind of action given how many are staying away now.

Who cares if they (including me) aren't deemed as real supporters by some because we don't turn up week in week out to have a beer with our mates. I'm in full support of anyone who can give up a passion for the sake of wanting better for the mass rather than waiting to see what happens. I'm getting older, not younger and i want our club to achieve, which means promotion and i'm prepared to make sacrifices rather than maintain the status quo.

Football/beer/mates is how football has been done since football was invented, what's the issue?

I have this rather amusing image of you sat at the game in your 'I love Pep' t-shirt meticulously studying the transition from 3 at the back to 5 when under pressure and the role of the holding midfielder in this scenario. The lack of fans around you has allowed you to chalk out a technical area which you pace whilst tapping your chin.

"Do you want a pie, Keanish?"
"No, I'm just uploading my half time stats to Eddie Howe: Pure Football Football Sim. You can't trust the official ones".

This is before you binned it off in favour of Dunelm with the missus, of course.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 07:18 - Feb 14 with 4664 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

At what point do the fans become involved? on 07:09 - Feb 14 by artsbossbeard

Football/beer/mates is how football has been done since football was invented, what's the issue?

I have this rather amusing image of you sat at the game in your 'I love Pep' t-shirt meticulously studying the transition from 3 at the back to 5 when under pressure and the role of the holding midfielder in this scenario. The lack of fans around you has allowed you to chalk out a technical area which you pace whilst tapping your chin.

"No, I'm just uploading my half time stats to Eddie Howe: Pure Football Football Sim. You can't trust the official ones".

This is before you binned it off in favour of Dunelm with the missus, of course.

Nothing wrong with Dunelm....................It,s John Lewis & Next Home with the Mrs that is marginally more frightening than going to PR.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:00 - Feb 14 with 4641 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 06:52 - Feb 14 by Keaneish

Oh come off it, your last post bleating on about sacrificing something you love was pure martyrdom nonsense. You just don't want to go anymore, and you're the one who is apathetic enough to stop going. The apathy you perceive is pure transference, it's exactly how you feel but you can't handle it as you're a footballing demi-god who couldn't possibly fall out of love with the game, so you need to project that feeling of apathy on to others. Tell me, if you're so passionate and desperate for change whilst the rest of us are grimly clinging on to the sides of the sinking ship, what have YOU actually done to bring about change? Nothing, you just don't go to games anymore and that changes absolutely nothing and your decision not to go has only recently been couched in terms of wanting to force change. I genuinely think you must be a subtle 'comedy' creation some of the stuff you come out with.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 8:12]

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:02 - Feb 14 with 4630 viewsHerbivore

Nailed it.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:03 - Feb 14 with 4630 viewsBenters2

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:00 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Oh come off it, your last post bleating on about sacrificing something you love was pure martyrdom nonsense. You just don't want to go anymore, and you're the one who is apathetic enough to stop going. The apathy you perceive is pure transference, it's exactly how you feel but you can't handle it as you're a footballing demi-god who couldn't possibly fall out of love with the game, so you need to project that feeling of apathy on to others. Tell me, if you're so passionate and desperate for change whilst the rest of us are grimly clinging on to the sides of the sinking ship, what have YOU actually done to bring about change? Nothing, you just don't go to games anymore and that changes absolutely nothing and your decision not to go has only recently been couched in terms of wanting to force change. I genuinely think you must be a subtle 'comedy' creation some of the stuff you come out with.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 8:12]

Voted with his feet though didnt he.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:06 - Feb 14 with 4626 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:03 - Feb 14 by Benters2

Voted with his feet though didnt he.

Yeah, that'll show them. He, like you, just got bored of going and stopped. It's hilarious that you guys are now painting yourselves as heroes of the revolution for not bothering to go to football anymore. Utterly ridiculous behaviour from grown men.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 9:27]

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:22 - Feb 14 with 4601 viewsbraveblue

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:27 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

What exactly are you protesting against? The manager? He's overachieved relative to his budget every year except last where he finished pretty much par. The owner? He's chucking in £6m a year just to keep us afloat and vaguely competitive. We'd look very silly boycotting a game, we're 12th in the league and very stable and boring, it's not the disaster some people want to paint it as. It surprises me that anyone who can look at our situation with even a shred of objectivity thinks that an actual organised protest will do anything other than makes us look like a bunch of idiots.

Just can’t believe that you have been taken in by all this nonsense from the club. Fans are leaving in thousands. The ground and pitch get worse. Worst finish in 50 years. You don’t se an issue?????
At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:27 - Feb 14 with 4591 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:22 - Feb 14 by braveblue

Just can’t believe that you have been taken in by all this nonsense from the club. Fans are leaving in thousands. The ground and pitch get worse. Worst finish in 50 years. You don’t se an issue?????

Exactly this!

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:29 - Feb 14 with 4589 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:22 - Feb 14 by braveblue

Average attendance this season is basically the same as it was in Mick's first full season in charge. Our average attendance this season isn't massively down on last season either so I'm not sure where you're getting your figures from. Last season was poor, no denying that, but not worth an actual protest about. Do you really think the pitch being heavy and some moss on the stands is worth a protest? Blimey.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:53 - Feb 14 with 4573 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:29 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Average attendance this season is basically the same as it was in Mick's first full season in charge. Our average attendance this season isn't massively down on last season either so I'm not sure where you're getting your figures from. Last season was poor, no denying that, but not worth an actual protest about. Do you really think the pitch being heavy and some moss on the stands is worth a protest? Blimey.

You do realise that there are a few thousand people each game that have already paid for their ticket and STILL don't bother to turn up don't you.

That's a fact that we are pretty much all aware of. There were around 11,500 inside the ground Saturday, not 13,500 that paid for tickets.

Our average last season was 16.981. This season it is 16,544. It may only be slightly down but we've played Norwich at home already, Leeds at home and leaders Wolves at home. I'd guess by the end of the season it'll be closer to 15,500 on average.

But last season of that 16,981, there was a good 15,500 inside the ground at least. We are now down to 11,500. Again that's a massive issue.

You can take the average for this season but we got off to a flyer, had kids playing and tried to play football. The last few normal matches are telling.

Burton under 14,000 and Reading under 14,000. We've had Christmas, Leeds and Wolves in between so it's massively distorted the average.

We had 15,000 for Brentford in August when we were top. Our three September crowds when were still flying high were 14,000, 14,000 and 15,000! Our November ones were 14,000 and 15,000.

14,500 is probably the real average when you take the derby out of it, Christmas out of it and the best supported team and leaders. Over the other 19 games a season we are looking at an average of 14,500 with about 12,500 in the ground.

That's 1/3 down from 2 years ago!

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:09 - Feb 14 with 4563 viewsunstableblue

At what point do the fans become involved? on 08:06 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Yeah, that'll show them. He, like you, just got bored of going and stopped. It's hilarious that you guys are now painting yourselves as heroes of the revolution for not bothering to go to football anymore. Utterly ridiculous behaviour from grown men.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 9:27]

You’re embarrassing yourself on this thread Herbivore, do stop.

Look we all know you’re one of the more informed members of this board, and often talk a lot of sense, but you do come across as rather self important.

Your fundamental flaw is that you’ve defended Mick to the hilt, have now re-positioned your untenable position somewhat, but the fact is the football in general has been unacceptable for a long time and if people are passionate about that fact then just let them be.

It’s a football fans forum for Gods sake. I suggest you go on a Liverpool or Man U forum once in a while and see the expectations of those fans, even though both clubs are prospering.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 11:51]

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:11 - Feb 14 with 4555 viewssolemio

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:19 - Feb 13 by Bluefish

I will be honest i haven't read 95% of that but from the gist of the title and opening I am going to answer it anyway. The fans have intervened and Mick will go in the summer. Time will tell if someone else can do more with so little. In terms of Marcus what are you expecting/hoping for? Protest as much as you like but you can't drive him out more than he probably already wants out.

As I have said a lot there isn't a list of out of contract owners that we can sign up. The real alternative to a buyer appearing is winding the club up, I know some of our melts say they would rather have that but they are a little bit stupid. If a buyer was avaialble it would have happened already. I have suspicions that there could be something being lined up for the end of this season but if there isn't isn't nothing the fans will do will change it

You could easily read it. There are no long words.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:35 - Feb 14 with 4529 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:53 - Feb 14 by FinidiCentenary

You do realise that there are a few thousand people each game that have already paid for their ticket and STILL don't bother to turn up don't you.

That's a fact that we are pretty much all aware of. There were around 11,500 inside the ground Saturday, not 13,500 that paid for tickets.

Our average last season was 16.981. This season it is 16,544. It may only be slightly down but we've played Norwich at home already, Leeds at home and leaders Wolves at home. I'd guess by the end of the season it'll be closer to 15,500 on average.

But last season of that 16,981, there was a good 15,500 inside the ground at least. We are now down to 11,500. Again that's a massive issue.

You can take the average for this season but we got off to a flyer, had kids playing and tried to play football. The last few normal matches are telling.

Burton under 14,000 and Reading under 14,000. We've had Christmas, Leeds and Wolves in between so it's massively distorted the average.

We had 15,000 for Brentford in August when we were top. Our three September crowds when were still flying high were 14,000, 14,000 and 15,000! Our November ones were 14,000 and 15,000.

14,500 is probably the real average when you take the derby out of it, Christmas out of it and the best supported team and leaders. Over the other 19 games a season we are looking at an average of 14,500 with about 12,500 in the ground.

I see there's a down arrow without a reply to enter into any sensible debate?

To anyone that disagrees I'd genuinely be interested to hear why.

These are facts:

AUGUST (2nd at the end of the month)
Brentford - 15300
Fulham - 16300

SEPTEMBER (6th at the end of the month)
Bolton - 14100
Sunderland - 14900
Bristol City - 15200

OCTOBER (10th - 2 points off the playoffs)
Norwich - 24900

NOVEMBER (9th - 3 points off the playoffs)
Preston - 14300
Sheff Wed - 15700

DECEMBER
Forest - 16808
Reading 13800

Not a single crowd of over 17000, aside from Norwich, which surely we can all agree is an anomaly.

These are crowds when

a) We were top, second or in the playoff places
b) We were scoring goals for fun and passing the ball better
c) Some of the youngsters were being included

If you cannot see we have a problem with breaking our lowest attendance for 20 years, multiple times at the start of a season, when there is optimism and we are in the top 6, then you are completely blind to where we are headed now that we are settling into mid-table and face the possibility of McCarthy hanging around.

Septembers crowds are utterly damning. We were second at the start of the month. Even after sticking 5 past Sunderland we got an extra 300 for Bristol City, which was a Saturday game and probably away fans.

We've lost huge numbers of fans, who are not coming back even when the football is better and we are flying. If we lose more in the summer, the majority may never come back and that is a real danger.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 10:41]

At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:17 - Feb 14 with 4504 viewsunstableblue

It'll be mates, beers, curry and football in that order of importance for the Cardiff game on a weds. Looking forward to it, 3 normally hardcore blues dragging ourselves along. Agree about just hooking up with friends is key. But rather than doing it every game, we're doing it 3-4 times a season.

Drab football and low excitement and energy have finally put paid to unstable jnr and his mates fledgling town career.... "they're just sh!t dad"

So no doubt I'd still keep going' for the beer, and the memories, stadium might be quite empty around me though.

Beer, mates, and at least something to cheer about... that sounds worth asking for?!

At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:28 - Feb 14 with 4500 viewsNo9

Fans can't really get involved unless the Owner offers them a greater part or, whole of the club & its assists etc.
Protesting isn't the same as getting involved & protesting will only have limited effect as MM has shown - we are keyborad warriors he is a football manager why should he listen - if no one goes through the turnstiles and he obvioulsy isn't on any sort of performance bonus
We have no say only thing we can do is to withold money = don't go
At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:36 - Feb 14 with 4471 viewsnshearman1

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:09 - Feb 14 by unstableblue

You’re embarrassing yourself on this thread Herbivore, do stop.

Look we all know you’re one of the more informed members of this board, and often talk a lot of sense, but you do come across as rather self important.

Your fundamental flaw is that you’ve defended Mick to the hilt, have now re-positioned your untenable position somewhat, but the fact is the football in general has been unacceptable for a long time and if people are passionate about that fact then just let them be.

It’s a football fans forum for Gods sake. I suggest you go on a Liverpool or Man U forum once in a while and see the expectations of those fans, even though both clubs are prospering.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 11:51]

Totally spot-on!

Not paying money into Evans’ coffers is hitting him where it really hurts and making him realise things have got to change.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:46 - Feb 14 with 4461 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 09:53 - Feb 14 by FinidiCentenary

I love that you're ignoring the actual figures in order to instead make some up to get upset about.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024