Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At what point do the fans become involved? 14:10 - Feb 13 with 50522 viewsFinidiCentenary

I remember a few years ago people expressing concerns over Evans and McCarthy. Even in the playoff season we were average to poor for the second half of the season and scraped in the playoffs on the final day after being top on Boxing Day. We have been terrible to watch for close to two years and only a small part of that has seen us picking up decent results.

Boxing Day 2014. It's over 3 years now since we've been regularly enjoyable to watch. 3 YEARS of Mick's 5 year reign. I know loyal fans who quit two seasons ago even when we were getting results because the football was so awful to sit through.

Yet we've seen nothing from the fans. I always assumed there would be, in a situation like this, a progression.

Fans unhappy / Fans very unhappy / Fans protesting / Fans boycotting / Fans disappearing for good

But we seem to have missed a stage. Fans have gone from being bored, unhappy and dismayed to just leaving altogether. No ST renewals, no returning. Gone.

At what stage do we get involved. Milne can say that Evans is aware of the rift but McCarthy is still giving it the big 'I might still be around'. It's preposterous.

I've seen plenty of mates who have followed the town for decades home and away just stop. Most haven't missed it. Most won't come back until Mick is gone. A large number of those I still see in the ground won't be back next year if Mick is here.

So what do the rest of us do. There's such an air of acceptance that people aren't even protesting, coming in late, walking out early, persistent chanting like with Jewell and Keane. It's like the club has sucked the passion from the fans so severely we can't even be bothered to protest.

I'd rather it was all going well on and off the pitch. But it isn't. Seems to me that we'll lose another 2,000 ST holders quietly before anybody actually does anything. If it's still this bad by the next home game I really hope people start acting.

I remember Duncan out chants. I remember protests. I remember fans on the pitch (I think after a 2-0 home defeat to Coventry when Wright made his debut or shortly after). I remember bed sheets (lol). I remember 'Sort it out' chants. We've had a few half hearted 'You're football is sh*t chants'. That's it.

We aren't going up or down. It can't make the players perform any worse than they were against Burton. Should we inevitably lose to Norwich now is the time for people to actually let Evans know how we feel. His image is something he cares about.

Losing 2,000 ST holders last year didn't work. Fans being disgruntled and breaking the lowest crowd record doesn't work. He's pumping £6m in. He's not really bothered about losing a few hundred grand next year is he.

The only thing that will work is bringing attention to the fact we consider him to be the bigger problem. Until we actually start having a voice and doing something, rather than accepting the status quo, the sooner we have a chance of getting our club back.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 14:14]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:50 - Feb 14 with 3506 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 10:09 - Feb 14 by unstableblue

You’re embarrassing yourself on this thread Herbivore, do stop.

Look we all know you’re one of the more informed members of this board, and often talk a lot of sense, but you do come across as rather self important.

Your fundamental flaw is that you’ve defended Mick to the hilt, have now re-positioned your untenable position somewhat, but the fact is the football in general has been unacceptable for a long time and if people are passionate about that fact then just let them be.

It’s a football fans forum for Gods sake. I suggest you go on a Liverpool or Man U forum once in a while and see the expectations of those fans, even though both clubs are prospering.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 11:51]

My position last season was that Mick should go in the summer. My position this season is the same. It is possible to believe he's done a good job overall, not hate his guts, and still want change. It's interesting that everyone who has talked about protest and revolution has completely failed to answer the simple questions of (a) what exactly are they protesting about, and (b) what do they want the protest to achieve. If people feel that passionately about it they should have no problem answering those fairly basic questions.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:53 - Feb 14 with 3500 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:36 - Feb 14 by nshearman1

Totally spot-on!

Not paying money into Evans’ coffers is hitting him where it really hurts and making him realise things have got to change.

Sorry, I just don't buy that. Individuals are bored of it and no longer want to go, to make out it's a considered master plan to get Evans to change things (to change what exactly?) is just away of making yourself feel better about not really caring anymore.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:04 - Feb 14 with 3493 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:46 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

I love that you're ignoring the actual figures in order to instead make some up to get upset about.

The thing is you aren't actually this dim so this act of yours is really disappointing.

The figures I have provided are all real.

There is every reason to look at the attendance in games outside of a derby, visit from the biggest club in the league and visit from the leaders in considering what a normal attendance will look like.

I've not suggested the average is massively different from last year, but we are just over half way and we've played our three biggest home games so the season average is going to be distorted.

Like I've said, when we were in the top 2 and top 6 we were getting 14,000 and 15,000 every week! It's only Christmas and the Leeds/ Wolves games it's gone up and it's now back down to 13,000 like the Reading game directly before.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:14 - Feb 14 with 3486 viewsnshearman1

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:53 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Sorry, I just don't buy that. Individuals are bored of it and no longer want to go, to make out it's a considered master plan to get Evans to change things (to change what exactly?) is just away of making yourself feel better about not really caring anymore.

Extraordinary how you set yourself up as someone who really knows how I feel and whether I care about the club I've supported for 50 years.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:16 - Feb 14 with 3482 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:14 - Feb 14 by nshearman1

Extraordinary how you set yourself up as someone who really knows how I feel and whether I care about the club I've supported for 50 years.

Admitting it to yourself is the first stage of acceptance and moving forward.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:16 - Feb 14 with 3481 viewsnshearman1

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:50 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

My position last season was that Mick should go in the summer. My position this season is the same. It is possible to believe he's done a good job overall, not hate his guts, and still want change. It's interesting that everyone who has talked about protest and revolution has completely failed to answer the simple questions of (a) what exactly are they protesting about, and (b) what do they want the protest to achieve. If people feel that passionately about it they should have no problem answering those fairly basic questions.

Nonsense. People have been pretty clear.

What is your solution? Who do you want instead of Mick, if you really want him to go? Or do you not think there's a problem at this club, given your dubious argument that gates haven't gone down?
At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:17 - Feb 14 with 3475 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:16 - Feb 14 by nshearman1

Nonsense. People have been pretty clear.

What is your solution? Who do you want instead of Mick, if you really want him to go? Or do you not think there's a problem at this club, given your dubious argument that gates haven't gone down?

So what is it you are protesting against and what do you want the protest to achieve?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:19 - Feb 14 with 3469 viewsnshearman1

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:16 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Admitting it to yourself is the first stage of acceptance and moving forward.

You really are a pompous psychotherapist!
Login to get fewer ads

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:23 - Feb 14 with 3465 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:04 - Feb 14 by FinidiCentenary

The thing is you aren't actually this dim so this act of yours is really disappointing.

The figures I have provided are all real.

There is every reason to look at the attendance in games outside of a derby, visit from the biggest club in the league and visit from the leaders in considering what a normal attendance will look like.

I've not suggested the average is massively different from last year, but we are just over half way and we've played our three biggest home games so the season average is going to be distorted.

Like I've said, when we were in the top 2 and top 6 we were getting 14,000 and 15,000 every week! It's only Christmas and the Leeds/ Wolves games it's gone up and it's now back down to 13,000 like the Reading game directly before.

Why have you not removed last season's top 3 attendances and recalculated the average? Or done the same with the 13/14 average (which was also around 16.5k)? Is it because that would then not support your argument by any chance? Figures can easily be distorted and manipulated, as you are proving nicely.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:37 - Feb 14 with 3446 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:23 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Why have you not removed last season's top 3 attendances and recalculated the average? Or done the same with the 13/14 average (which was also around 16.5k)? Is it because that would then not support your argument by any chance? Figures can easily be distorted and manipulated, as you are proving nicely.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Last seasons average is for a completed season. It's in the books.

This seasons average is an ongoing tally. The average at the end of this season is quite clearly going to be lower than the current average unless we somehow get into the playoffs.

It's not hard to predict we have no upcoming opponents who will draw crowds like Norwich, Leeds and Wolves which have been and gone.

What is quite clear is that MOST of our matches this season at home have drawn 13,000, 14,ooo or 15,000 with crowds over that the exception. So the average is all well and good but what is happening most of the time is a better indicator of what will happen moving forward.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:59 - Feb 14 with 3431 viewsNo9

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:50 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

It is easy to understand why any real supporter of ITFC would be unhappy with what has been dished up as football on the PR pitch over the last few years in fact one could say the condition of the pitch metches the quality of the football a bit to comfortably.
Protesting at other clubs has brought about change particularly where the Owners are sensitive to the fact football is in the entertainment business.
If you just want to watch football or, blokes kicking a ball around you can see that in any municile park each week-end. If, on the other hand you pay relatively large sums of money to watch 'profesionals' you are surely entitled to expect more than the basics that MM dishes up?
In any other arena of entertainment if the performers don't provide decent quality you don't go anymore, do you? & that is where we are at ITFC, it is the stay away fans that want to see improvements, those who go & suffer in silence are the ones who, by accepting substandard performances letting everyone down.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:05 - Feb 14 with 3421 viewsPJH

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:59 - Feb 14 by No9

It is easy to understand why any real supporter of ITFC would be unhappy with what has been dished up as football on the PR pitch over the last few years in fact one could say the condition of the pitch metches the quality of the football a bit to comfortably.
Protesting at other clubs has brought about change particularly where the Owners are sensitive to the fact football is in the entertainment business.
If you just want to watch football or, blokes kicking a ball around you can see that in any municile park each week-end. If, on the other hand you pay relatively large sums of money to watch 'profesionals' you are surely entitled to expect more than the basics that MM dishes up?
In any other arena of entertainment if the performers don't provide decent quality you don't go anymore, do you? & that is where we are at ITFC, it is the stay away fans that want to see improvements, those who go & suffer in silence are the ones who, by accepting substandard performances letting everyone down.

I am delighted to be letting everyone down.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:19 - Feb 14 with 3403 viewsNo9

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:37 - Feb 14 by FinidiCentenary

This seasons average is an ongoing tally. The average at the end of this season is quite clearly going to be lower than the current average unless we somehow get into the playoffs.

It's not hard to predict we have no upcoming opponents who will draw crowds like Norwich, Leeds and Wolves which have been and gone.

What is quite clear is that MOST of our matches this season at home have drawn 13,000, 14,ooo or 15,000 with crowds over that the exception. So the average is all well and good but what is happening most of the time is a better indicator of what will happen moving forward.

'The books' of course should be an accurate part of the accounts so shuld be 'rely on' information but of course they don't separate out the visitors supporters which is a significant number for some visiting teams.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:28 - Feb 14 with 3351 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:59 - Feb 14 by No9

I'm not sure you 'get' supporting a football club. The last bit of the post about supporters who still attend letting the club down is particularly ridiculous.

I'd be interested to hear which protests at other clubs you're referring to that have quickly brought about change. Tell me more.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 16:38]

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:32 - Feb 14 with 3343 viewsPJH

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:28 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

I'm not sure you 'get' supporting a football club. The last bit of the post about supporters who still attend letting the club down is particularly ridiculous.

I'd be interested to hear which protests at other clubs you're referring to that have quickly brought about change. Tell me more.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 16:38]

Blackburn's took them from the Prem to League One so that worked well.

I am not certain that they were protesting about their Owners in the Prem but....
At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:36 - Feb 14 with 3335 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 13:37 - Feb 14 by FinidiCentenary

We've got 8 home games to go, a few of them against sides who will bring reasonable numbers (Villa, Millwall, Sheffield United) so I'd be surprised if our average comes down by a huge amount, it might end up around 16k which is comparable to both last season and Mick's first season here. We added a few thousand by actually doing well for a couple of years but have since lost them again, which is a shame. We're not exactly haemorrhaging fans, our gradual decline in attendances is pretty much par for the course when you're stuck in the same league over a sustained period of time. Let's also not forget that 20 years ago attendances were frequently worse than they currently are and that was with Burley in charge playing good football. Attendances have become a big thing for some of our fans but they really aren't all that bad when compared to our history and the context of us being stuck in the Championship for nearly 16 years with relatively expensive tickets.

Are attendances what the protest is about now though? Is the aim for prices to be reduced? I'm still not really getting what the protest is meant to be about and what its aims are. The silence on that one is deafening.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 16:39]

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:47 - Feb 14 with 3321 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:36 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

We've got 8 home games to go, a few of them against sides who will bring reasonable numbers (Villa, Millwall, Sheffield United) so I'd be surprised if our average comes down by a huge amount, it might end up around 16k which is comparable to both last season and Mick's first season here. We added a few thousand by actually doing well for a couple of years but have since lost them again, which is a shame. We're not exactly haemorrhaging fans, our gradual decline in attendances is pretty much par for the course when you're stuck in the same league over a sustained period of time. Let's also not forget that 20 years ago attendances were frequently worse than they currently are and that was with Burley in charge playing good football. Attendances have become a big thing for some of our fans but they really aren't all that bad when compared to our history and the context of us being stuck in the Championship for nearly 16 years with relatively expensive tickets.

Are attendances what the protest is about now though? Is the aim for prices to be reduced? I'm still not really getting what the protest is meant to be about and what its aims are. The silence on that one is deafening.

The point is that we are now losing the hard core.

There were 25,000 odd a decade ago, swollen by those that came along when we reached the Premier League and stuck around for a bit.

It's not these fans we are losing now, or that the club is alienating. We are losing people that have been going for 20, 30, 40 years. These are the types of fans now walking away under the Evans regime.

Protesting, walking out, chanting may do very little. But the fans just leaving in their droves without saying anything aren't changing anything either. Evans has seen 2,000 fans leave last season and done nothing to entice them back. Look at what Forest did the other week. Sent tickets to fans who had left and urged them to come back.

It would cost Evans very little to do this to fill otherwise empty seats. He doesn't seem bothered. So losing another 2,000 in silence is going to do very little.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if the fans actually turned on him - properly - he would be forced to change his attitude towards the fans and value us a little bit more. It's worth a try surely?

Evans puts in £6m a year. Next season it might be £6.5m with the loss of more fans. I don't see that as being a problem for him as he'll just offset with sales potentially. But a bit of media attention to the fact we have a club doing nothing to engage with fans, a manager most want to leave acting like he decides when he goes, driving customers away and slagging off those that remain, perhaps, just perhaps making a bit of noise about the situation may help.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:01 - Feb 14 with 3303 viewsNo9

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:36 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

The silence is deafening ?
NOt really a number of posters have tried to give you any amount of reasons
You just don't want to know do you?
The bottom line will be however many are preparred to turn up no matter what MM has his team do on the pitch.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:05 - Feb 14 with 3294 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:47 - Feb 14 by FinidiCentenary

There were 25,000 odd a decade ago, swollen by those that came along when we reached the Premier League and stuck around for a bit.

It's not these fans we are losing now, or that the club is alienating. We are losing people that have been going for 20, 30, 40 years. These are the types of fans now walking away under the Evans regime.

Protesting, walking out, chanting may do very little. But the fans just leaving in their droves without saying anything aren't changing anything either. Evans has seen 2,000 fans leave last season and done nothing to entice them back. Look at what Forest did the other week. Sent tickets to fans who had left and urged them to come back.

It would cost Evans very little to do this to fill otherwise empty seats. He doesn't seem bothered. So losing another 2,000 in silence is going to do very little.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if the fans actually turned on him - properly - he would be forced to change his attitude towards the fans and value us a little bit more. It's worth a try surely?

Evans puts in £6m a year. Next season it might be £6.5m with the loss of more fans. I don't see that as being a problem for him as he'll just offset with sales potentially. But a bit of media attention to the fact we have a club doing nothing to engage with fans, a manager most want to leave acting like he decides when he goes, driving customers away and slagging off those that remain, perhaps, just perhaps making a bit of noise about the situation may help.

So what is it you're hoping the protest will do and what form should it take? You've still not really made that clear.

Look, you may think attendances are a massive issue but their decline is (a) overstated, (b) fairly standard for a club stuck in the same division (see how badly Cardiff's attendances dropped after one season at this level), and (c) compared to our historic attendances something of a non-issue. I was one of less than 11.5k fans that saw us beat Sheffield United at Portman Road when we were a Premier League side, we're getting more than that now despite 16 years in the same division.

It's clear attendances have become just another stick to beat the club with, which is fine, people are frustrated at how boring it is to support Town currently. Not sure boredom warrants a protest though.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 17:12]

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:11 - Feb 14 with 3289 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:01 - Feb 14 by No9

The silence is deafening ?
NOt really a number of posters have tried to give you any amount of reasons
You just don't want to know do you?
The bottom line will be however many are preparred to turn up no matter what MM has his team do on the pitch.

So what is the protest about specifically and what is it hoped to achieve? It's unclear whether they're about attendances, the manager, the owner, the pitch, the north stand roof. It's also not clear what the aim of the protest is. Evans out? Protesting won't make that happen? Mick out? Both? Evans to put more money in? The pitch to be re-laid? All of the above? Theirs no clear target or objective, it's just an expression of people being a bit pissy that we're a bang average Championship club.

Also, which other clubs were you referring to when you said that protests at other clubs have swiftly led to change? I'm struggling to think of any off the top of my head.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:12 - Feb 14 with 3285 viewsBackToRussia

At what point do the fans become involved? on 12:53 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

People are bored, AND people still care you. Why else would they spend hours coming on here talking about it for one thing?

Is there an actually acceptable form of protest? Whenever a march/organised thing is suggested on here, it's ridiculed. If people stop attending it's because they don't care. Writing a letter is sad and pointless. I've seen all that on here.

Evans clearly sees the figures dropping and that's why you get stories of "rifts". If everyone was still turning up, not booing, they would clearly analyse the situation differently.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:15 - Feb 14 with 3283 viewsnshearman1

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:47 - Feb 14 by FinidiCentenary

This should be an answer for Herb but suspect as usual he'll go for the last word.

However, I disagree on a couple of points.

Firstly, I think Evans IS bothered when it comes to money. In spite of Herb trying to re-write history, attendances are down and so are STs - and indeed you can see this has had an effect - which is where I disagree with Finidi - with the club making strenuous attempts to make 'offers' to get the fans back, and Milne admitting publicly that the move for STs from over-60s to over-65s was a big mistake and promising lots more 'offers'.

And as others have said, the state of the pitch and PR generally is testament to the lack of money being invested in the club.

So I personally think a walk-out could be effective. It will certainly attract adverse publicity to Evans, who is of course publicity-shy. And if Herb needs yet another example, such a protest was hugely effective at Liverpool a couple of seasons back.

I also would like Mick to go but my feeling from the odd clues coming out of PR is that he'll stay. So a protest of some sort could help move things on, because I feel this club is sleepwalking its way through decline.

Hopefully these points answer Herb's call for specifics. I look forward to hearing him outline what he would like to see happen.

Herb is also re-writing history when he claims he's wanted Mick out for the best part of two seasons now - it's certainly not clear in his posts - and, while I take on board his point about not necessarily hating Mick (and I personally don't), from his posts one can only conclude that he has indeed re-positioned an untenable position!
At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:16 - Feb 14 with 3279 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:12 - Feb 14 by BackToRussia

People are bored, AND people still care you. Why else would they spend hours coming on here talking about it for one thing?

Is there an actually acceptable form of protest? Whenever a march/organised thing is suggested on here, it's ridiculed. If people stop attending it's because they don't care. Writing a letter is sad and pointless. I've seen all that on here.

Evans clearly sees the figures dropping and that's why you get stories of "rifts". If everyone was still turning up, not booing, they would clearly analyse the situation differently.

The amount of time people like the OP have spent posting on here, looking up and manipulating attendance figures, they could have had a protest organised by now.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:18 - Feb 14 with 3275 viewsNo9

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:05 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

So what is it you're hoping the protest will do and what form should it take? You've still not really made that clear.

Look, you may think attendances are a massive issue but their decline is (a) overstated, (b) fairly standard for a club stuck in the same division (see how badly Cardiff's attendances dropped after one season at this level), and (c) compared to our historic attendances something of a non-issue. I was one of less than 11.5k fans that saw us beat Sheffield United at Portman Road when we were a Premier League side, we're getting more than that now despite 16 years in the same division.

It's clear attendances have become just another stick to beat the club with, which is fine, people are frustrated at how boring it is to support Town currently. Not sure boredom warrants a protest though.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 17:12]

You don't want to see the team you purport to support move on & flourish?
Are you really saying that you are happy with the mediocrity dished up by MM & don't wish to see things improve?
At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:20 - Feb 14 with 3271 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 17:18 - Feb 14 by No9

You don't want to see the team you purport to support move on & flourish?
Are you really saying that you are happy with the mediocrity dished up by MM & don't wish to see things improve?

You're avoiding my questions again so I'm done trying to have a conversation with you.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024