Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At what point do the fans become involved? 14:10 - Feb 13 with 50510 viewsFinidiCentenary

I remember a few years ago people expressing concerns over Evans and McCarthy. Even in the playoff season we were average to poor for the second half of the season and scraped in the playoffs on the final day after being top on Boxing Day. We have been terrible to watch for close to two years and only a small part of that has seen us picking up decent results.

Boxing Day 2014. It's over 3 years now since we've been regularly enjoyable to watch. 3 YEARS of Mick's 5 year reign. I know loyal fans who quit two seasons ago even when we were getting results because the football was so awful to sit through.

Yet we've seen nothing from the fans. I always assumed there would be, in a situation like this, a progression.

Fans unhappy / Fans very unhappy / Fans protesting / Fans boycotting / Fans disappearing for good

But we seem to have missed a stage. Fans have gone from being bored, unhappy and dismayed to just leaving altogether. No ST renewals, no returning. Gone.

At what stage do we get involved. Milne can say that Evans is aware of the rift but McCarthy is still giving it the big 'I might still be around'. It's preposterous.

I've seen plenty of mates who have followed the town for decades home and away just stop. Most haven't missed it. Most won't come back until Mick is gone. A large number of those I still see in the ground won't be back next year if Mick is here.

So what do the rest of us do. There's such an air of acceptance that people aren't even protesting, coming in late, walking out early, persistent chanting like with Jewell and Keane. It's like the club has sucked the passion from the fans so severely we can't even be bothered to protest.

I'd rather it was all going well on and off the pitch. But it isn't. Seems to me that we'll lose another 2,000 ST holders quietly before anybody actually does anything. If it's still this bad by the next home game I really hope people start acting.

I remember Duncan out chants. I remember protests. I remember fans on the pitch (I think after a 2-0 home defeat to Coventry when Wright made his debut or shortly after). I remember bed sheets (lol). I remember 'Sort it out' chants. We've had a few half hearted 'You're football is sh*t chants'. That's it.

We aren't going up or down. It can't make the players perform any worse than they were against Burton. Should we inevitably lose to Norwich now is the time for people to actually let Evans know how we feel. His image is something he cares about.

Losing 2,000 ST holders last year didn't work. Fans being disgruntled and breaking the lowest crowd record doesn't work. He's pumping £6m in. He's not really bothered about losing a few hundred grand next year is he.

The only thing that will work is bringing attention to the fact we consider him to be the bigger problem. Until we actually start having a voice and doing something, rather than accepting the status quo, the sooner we have a chance of getting our club back.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 14:14]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:55 - Feb 15 with 2860 viewsartsbossbeard

At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:24 - Feb 15 by FinidiCentenary

And if fans were more vocal about wanting him out, it may well accelerate the process and he may even sell up a little bit cheaper.

There's every reason to want £20m for a club where everything is rosy (if we imagine this is the 'price'. Would you not consider £17m though if you were well aware you were disliked, fans would stay away and that you'd lost an extra £3m over the next year anyway with those fans staying away.

The more fans that aren't coming to games, the more Evans has to put in from his own pocket. It makes more sense to sell now for £15m for example than to sell for £20m next year after making an extra £6m loss.

Where's this interest by a.n.other party coming from though?

It's all well to say what you've said and that all makes sense if there's someone waiting in the wings to buy the club. Without it, I don't see the point in poking the hornets nest as whatever happens, ME will still stick in the 6m a year as committed and then it's up to the manager to use what he can to attract players. Non attendees are simply cutting off the Manager's arm at the elbow.

As we've seen (and been lucky with Waghorn & Garner), if the initial fee is reasonably low, we can load up the wages paid. Whilst I'm fully ready for a change at the helm, MM has proved himself reasonably capable working in these confines. Would Phil Brown struggle just as much? I think we all know the answer.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:38 - Feb 15 with 2810 viewsFreddy

If nothing is done , nothing will change
At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:53 - Feb 15 with 2799 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:38 - Feb 15 by Freddy

Profound.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:13 - Feb 15 with 2792 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 11:55 - Feb 15 by artsbossbeard

Where's this interest by a.n.other party coming from though?

It's all well to say what you've said and that all makes sense if there's someone waiting in the wings to buy the club. Without it, I don't see the point in poking the hornets nest as whatever happens, ME will still stick in the 6m a year as committed and then it's up to the manager to use what he can to attract players. Non attendees are simply cutting off the Manager's arm at the elbow.

As we've seen (and been lucky with Waghorn & Garner), if the initial fee is reasonably low, we can load up the wages paid. Whilst I'm fully ready for a change at the helm, MM has proved himself reasonably capable working in these confines. Would Phil Brown struggle just as much? I think we all know the answer.

I would imagine that anyone who may be interested in buying a club would stand far more chance of being alerted to our situation if there was media coverage of fans protesting or being unhappy with the owner.

It may just make them think that a club with history, who are one promotion away from the PL riches and who have a potentially decent fan base, could be available for the right price. Potential buyers would surely be more aware of the opportunity to buy the club in that situation.

Whether the fans themselves would then put off said buyer is another matter.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:23 - Feb 15 with 2787 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:13 - Feb 15 by FinidiCentenary

I would imagine that anyone who may be interested in buying a club would stand far more chance of being alerted to our situation if there was media coverage of fans protesting or being unhappy with the owner.

It may just make them think that a club with history, who are one promotion away from the PL riches and who have a potentially decent fan base, could be available for the right price. Potential buyers would surely be more aware of the opportunity to buy the club in that situation.

Whether the fans themselves would then put off said buyer is another matter.

Aside from the EADT I can't see Town fans protesting about being a mid table Championship club troubling the back pages.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:33 - Feb 15 with 2779 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:23 - Feb 15 by Herbivore

Aside from the EADT I can't see Town fans protesting about being a mid table Championship club troubling the back pages.

Yet I know all about protests at Blackburn, Charlton, Bury, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Coventry, Hull that have all happened over the last few years.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:34 - Feb 15 with 2777 viewsPJH

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:33 - Feb 15 by FinidiCentenary

Yet I know all about protests at Blackburn, Charlton, Bury, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Coventry, Hull that have all happened over the last few years.

Interesting choice of Clubs.

Where are they now in relation to where they were?
At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:38 - Feb 15 with 2775 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:34 - Feb 15 by PJH

Interesting choice of Clubs.

Where are they now in relation to where they were?

Exactly! I think the point you are trying to make has backfired.

You do get that the reason these fans are protesting is because of how badly the clubs were being run?

In a few years time we could easily sit on that list for the same reasons. Blackburn fans protested and suffered two relegations. Hull may do the same. Coventry have suffered a couple. We could very well end up doing the same if our owner doesn't sell up or change his strategy.

Portsmouth for one got the owner out and have been promoted and now sit just outside the playoffs again. Hull, Blackburn, Coventry who didn't shift their appalling owners have continued to fall down the leagues.

Do you know of many clubs where protests go on when the club is being well run and being successful then?
[Post edited 15 Feb 2018 15:39]

Login to get fewer ads

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:42 - Feb 15 with 2770 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:33 - Feb 15 by FinidiCentenary

How many of those clubs have you subsequently bought? Your argument is falling apart at the seams here, bro.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:44 - Feb 15 with 2766 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:38 - Feb 15 by FinidiCentenary

You do get that the reason these fans are protesting is because of how badly the clubs were being run?

In a few years time we could easily sit on that list for the same reasons. Blackburn fans protested and suffered two relegations. Hull may do the same. Coventry have suffered a couple. We could very well end up doing the same if our owner doesn't sell up or change his strategy.

Portsmouth for one got the owner out and have been promoted and now sit just outside the playoffs again. Hull, Blackburn, Coventry who didn't shift their appalling owners have continued to fall down the leagues.

Do you know of many clubs where protests go on when the club is being well run and being successful then?

So statistically we're way more likely to achieve nothing and get relegated if we protest than bring about positive change. Interesting. You sure you still want to protest?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:44 - Feb 15 with 2766 viewsPJH

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:38 - Feb 15 by FinidiCentenary

Oh I see, you just want protests-the fact that the protests at the Clubs you mention have done no good and possibly done harm doesn't matter.

Understand now.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:46 - Feb 15 with 2759 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:44 - Feb 15 by PJH

Oh I see, you just want protests-the fact that the protests at the Clubs you mention have done no good and possibly done harm doesn't matter.

Understand now.

Well quite. There's also quite a gulf between how those clubs are or were being run and how ME is running Town.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:46 - Feb 15 with 2759 viewsSpruceMoose

At what point do the fans become involved? on 14:38 - Feb 15 by Freddy

That kind of goes against the laws of thermodynamics.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:52 - Feb 15 with 2747 viewsartsbossbeard

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:44 - Feb 15 by PJH

Understand now.

"What do we want?"

"A new Owner! But please don't be put off by our protests!!"

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:52 - Feb 15 with 2747 viewsPJH

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:46 - Feb 15 by Herbivore

Well quite. There's also quite a gulf between how those clubs are or were being run and how ME is running Town.

I would like ME to put more money into ITFC or sell to someone else that will but I do not see how anyone can demand that he does either.

It seems to me it is like demanding that your next door neighbour sells his car.
If he either does not want to sell it or cannot find a buyer for it there is no amount of foot stamping that will change that.
At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:53 - Feb 15 with 2740 viewsSpruceMoose

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:52 - Feb 15 by PJH

I would like ME to put more money into ITFC or sell to someone else that will but I do not see how anyone can demand that he does either.

It seems to me it is like demanding that your next door neighbour sells his car.
If he either does not want to sell it or cannot find a buyer for it there is no amount of foot stamping that will change that.

You could set fire to it though. Then nobody has a car anymore.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:53 - Feb 15 with 2740 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:44 - Feb 15 by Herbivore

So statistically we're way more likely to achieve nothing and get relegated if we protest than bring about positive change. Interesting. You sure you still want to protest?

If you're deliberately trying to be hard work it's working. Kudos.

You do realise that the handful of clubs I have listed who have been relegated in the past decade or so and have seen protests are joined by probably twice as many that have been relegated and where there have not been protests.

So by your own pathetic logic are we are actually twice as likely to get relegated if we don't protest? Do you think the league ignores points and relegates three clubs whose fans have whinged the most?

Hull fans protested over the name change. The owners dropped it. Cardiff fans protested over the red kit and badge. It was changed. Everton and Leeds fans kicked off about the new badge. They were changed.

There are plenty of examples where fans wouldn't stand for the decisions made by the club and the club had to change their thinking.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:55 - Feb 15 with 2731 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:53 - Feb 15 by FinidiCentenary

If you're deliberately trying to be hard work it's working. Kudos.

You do realise that the handful of clubs I have listed who have been relegated in the past decade or so and have seen protests are joined by probably twice as many that have been relegated and where there have not been protests.

So by your own pathetic logic are we are actually twice as likely to get relegated if we don't protest? Do you think the league ignores points and relegates three clubs whose fans have whinged the most?

Hull fans protested over the name change. The owners dropped it. Cardiff fans protested over the red kit and badge. It was changed. Everton and Leeds fans kicked off about the new badge. They were changed.

There are plenty of examples where fans wouldn't stand for the decisions made by the club and the club had to change their thinking.

So now you want us to change our badge? What's the aim of your protest again, bro?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:59 - Feb 15 with 2723 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:53 - Feb 15 by SpruceMoose

You also don't have a financial interest in your neighbours car.

None of us own McDonalds. But if we were all longstanding customers, they changed the menu, put prices up, or started using beef from cows that had been shot in the face at close range and enough customers kicked off or boycotted them you can bet your arse McDonalds would change.

Evans owns ITFC, but the fans make it what it is. Without us there is no club. So to think we have to put up with everything he does is absolutely pathetic and you could argue that so many fans sharing this attitude has played some small part in our ineptitude.

If fans had all called for McCarthy's head frequently at the end of last season he'd be gone. Can you remember any club where fans have persistently called for the managers head and he hasn't gone, except for when the club has then been massively successful? I can't.

We have so much power here, but so many of you are utterly terrified of what might happen (like the frequent suggestion of Evans winding up an asset he could get millions for FFS lol).

If people can't be bothered to voice how they feel with Evans in a manner than will force him to think then hopefully you'll refrain from crying when we inevitably go down into League One.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:00 - Feb 15 with 2719 viewsFinidiCentenary

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:55 - Feb 15 by Herbivore

So now you want us to change our badge? What's the aim of your protest again, bro?

So you've gone from attempting to make a valid point to now just trolling.

It's no wonder you were free to continue this thread on Valentines Night.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:02 - Feb 15 with 2714 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:59 - Feb 15 by FinidiCentenary

You also don't have a financial interest in your neighbours car.

None of us own McDonalds. But if we were all longstanding customers, they changed the menu, put prices up, or started using beef from cows that had been shot in the face at close range and enough customers kicked off or boycotted them you can bet your arse McDonalds would change.

Evans owns ITFC, but the fans make it what it is. Without us there is no club. So to think we have to put up with everything he does is absolutely pathetic and you could argue that so many fans sharing this attitude has played some small part in our ineptitude.

If fans had all called for McCarthy's head frequently at the end of last season he'd be gone. Can you remember any club where fans have persistently called for the managers head and he hasn't gone, except for when the club has then been massively successful? I can't.

We have so much power here, but so many of you are utterly terrified of what might happen (like the frequent suggestion of Evans winding up an asset he could get millions for FFS lol).

If people can't be bothered to voice how they feel with Evans in a manner than will force him to think then hopefully you'll refrain from crying when we inevitably go down into League One.

So when is your protest starting and what will it consist of? What are you hoping it will achieve (a change of badge/kit or something a bit bigger?)?

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:02 - Feb 15 with 2712 viewsPJH

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:53 - Feb 15 by SpruceMoose

True, but setting fire to ME would be a bit extreme wouldn't it?
At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:03 - Feb 15 with 2707 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:00 - Feb 15 by FinidiCentenary

So you've gone from attempting to make a valid point to now just trolling.

It's no wonder you were free to continue this thread on Valentines Night.

So do you or don't you want to change the badge? You have three examples of fans successfully getting their badge changed, struggling to see the relevance of that if that's not your aim.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:04 - Feb 15 with 2703 viewsHerbivore

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:02 - Feb 15 by PJH

True, but setting fire to ME would be a bit extreme wouldn't it?

Maybe that's the form the protest will take? Not seen much meat on the bones of this 'protest' yet so feasibly it could be anything.

At what point do the fans become involved? on 16:09 - Feb 15 with 2697 viewsNo9

At what point do the fans become involved? on 15:52 - Feb 15 by PJH

Correct & we can't demand he changes his football advisors or employs a football manager who will uphold the policies of the game = it is a game to be played to win.
That doesn't mean we cannot, as customers, make it known to the Owner we are not happy with his product and, if he doesn't do something about it we shall discontinue purchasing it.
Is't that our right?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024