Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Argyle 21:56 - Feb 13 with 5085 viewsquirkie

Win again tonight. They were bottom I believe in November now 3 pts from play offs.

I live down this neck of the woods, well actually 60 miles west of Plymouth. Spoke to a season ticket holder today in work, he mentioned the negative football the manager was getting the players to play, trying to hold on to 1-0 wins and failing every time, playing for a draw away from home and losing etc. Fans really got on the managers back.

Now, they play out and out attacking football with the same squad of players, going for the win at all costs even if 1-0 up. Tonight won 4-2.

Just shows what can be done if the manager maybe gets the fans frustration's and maybe tries to do something different.

I suppose their manager Derek Adams is not stuck in his ways, only 42.

Good chance of just a 120 miles trip for me to watch Town next season.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Argyle on 22:26 - Feb 13 with 4995 viewsBinner

Have been watching them rise up the table.

When they were bottom, weren't they a few points adrift as well?

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Argyle on 22:35 - Feb 13 with 4977 viewsITFC_Forever

I have a slight soft spot for them, my Grandad from the Cornish side followed them (well, followed their results, as far as I know he didn’t go to any games) and a guy I know down there has his son in their youth team.

They were indeed bottom following their promotion last season, but are on a hell of a run, so much so, the POs aren’t beyond them.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Argyle on 00:52 - Feb 14 with 4895 viewsGuthrum

Argyle on 22:35 - Feb 13 by ITFC_Forever

I have a slight soft spot for them, my Grandad from the Cornish side followed them (well, followed their results, as far as I know he didn’t go to any games) and a guy I know down there has his son in their youth team.

They were indeed bottom following their promotion last season, but are on a hell of a run, so much so, the POs aren’t beyond them.

I do, too, but mainly left over from when Paul Mariner was their manager.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Argyle on 01:58 - Feb 14 with 4869 viewsfloridablue

Argyle on 00:52 - Feb 14 by Guthrum

I do, too, but mainly left over from when Paul Mariner was their manager.

I moved there during the 'red hot' summer of 76 with my future x-wife. Then had to 'get home' somehow to see Mariner make his home debut v WBA and back down to Devon for work a day later! Left the area a year later but look back fondly on my time there.
Argyle on 02:53 - Feb 14 with 4839 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice part of the world down there.

Football's a funny old game. It doesn't take an awful lot to turn a mess into a good team, and vice versa. My now local team are another case in point. Rock bottom of the PL and adrift from safety by 5 or 6 points at Christmas, they've only lost once since and are joint top of the form table having also beaten L'pool and Arsenal along the way. All it's taken is some minor tweaks and a more positive, upbeat approach.

Lessons to be learnt for us from both these teams. But as you say, it does require change, even if that change sometimes only has to be relatively small.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Argyle on 07:47 - Feb 14 with 4765 viewsBrixtonBlue

I've been following their results too as have been seeing a girl who's a Pilgrim. It has indeed been a meteoric rise... she was convinced they were going straight back down not so long ago.

They also appeared to have a discipline problem earlier on - having a player sent off in 5 consecutive games. That's worse than Dirty Leeds!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Argyle on 09:42 - Feb 14 with 4691 viewsgood_at_COD

They are on a great run and I’ve had a soft spot for Argyle since the Paul Mariner deal. But the League One form team are Blackburn - just two defeats in their last 26 games, one in the FA Cup and the other to Plymouth. Tony Mowbray achieving success playing the right way and assisted by ex-Town striker David Lowe. Bring ‘em home, I say!

Giggsy

Argyle on 09:51 - Feb 14 with 4670 viewsBrixtonBlue

Argyle on 09:42 - Feb 14 by good_at_COD

They are on a great run and I’ve had a soft spot for Argyle since the Paul Mariner deal. But the League One form team are Blackburn - just two defeats in their last 26 games, one in the FA Cup and the other to Plymouth. Tony Mowbray achieving success playing the right way and assisted by ex-Town striker David Lowe. Bring ‘em home, I say!

They also took them down there though didn't they?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Argyle on 10:12 - Feb 14 with 4638 viewsgood_at_COD

Argyle on 09:51 - Feb 14 by BrixtonBlue

Bit harsh if you recall where Rovers were when Mowbray got the job and how close they came to beating the drop. He lost three of his 15 league games in charge last season - hardly relegation form, I think you will agree. The damage was done long before he arrived on the scene.

Giggsy

Argyle on 10:17 - Feb 14 with 4622 viewsGuthrum

Argyle on 09:51 - Feb 14 by BrixtonBlue

That's a little unfair, Blackburn were in pretty dire trouble when he arrived. And they so nearly managed it, just one worse goal difference than Forest - combined with our final day loss at the latter - sending them down.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Argyle on 21:07 - Feb 14 with 4429 viewsquirkie

https://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=102650

As I mentioned manager changed from a cautious negative approach that wasn't really working this season into an all out attack approach in the last few months which is reaping dividends.

Oh how we'd love to see Mick smell the coffee and learn from this.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 21:10]

Argyle on 21:12 - Feb 14 with 4408 viewsBrixtonBlue

Argyle on 10:17 - Feb 14 by Guthrum

That's a little unfair, Blackburn were in pretty dire trouble when he arrived. And they so nearly managed it, just one worse goal difference than Forest - combined with our final day loss at the latter - sending them down.

I was actually asking a real question rather than a rhetorical one as I wasn't sure.

Argyle on 18:50 - Feb 26 with 4174 viewsquirkie

Another win for Argyle.

Bottom at the end of November, in the play-offs end of February, some turn around that.

The difference, their manager got the team to play attacking football. Lesson for Mick there from a mere youngster of a manager, stop being so bloody negative, play some football, results will come and fans will not be on your back.

Argyle on 20:23 - Feb 26 with 4067 viewsVic

Argyle on 18:50 - Feb 26 by quirkie

Another win for Argyle.

Bottom at the end of November, in the play-offs end of February, some turn around that.

The difference, their manager got the team to play attacking football. Lesson for Mick there from a mere youngster of a manager, stop being so bloody negative, play some football, results will come and fans will not be on your back.

He will next season when our midfield is fit again - just like he has done this season when he’s had the players available.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Argyle on 10:49 - Feb 27 with 3887 viewsnc41

I'm 50 miles from Plymouth. Have loads of Argyle supporting friends. Be great if they go up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024