Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK Weekend break 12:33 - Feb 14 with 4333 viewsRomeo4

Another post requesting travel advice I'm afraid.

I'm looking for somewhere in the UK to take Mrs Romeo away for 2 - 3 nights in May/June. It's a special birthday so was hoping for somewhere a bit more upmarket than the cheap and cheerful hotel chains we would usually stay in.

I was planning on going abroad but circumstances have dictated that we need to stay a bit closer to home i.e. only a max of a 3 or 4 hour drive or train journey from Ipswich.

Any bright ideas (preferably ones based on personal experience) would be appreciated.

Thanks.
UK Weekend break on 12:38 - Feb 14 with 4321 viewsitfcjoe

I don't know what you guys are into - but I found the following break i did for one of my birthdays a really good weekend from here - had a bit of everything.

Friday morning - drive to Birmingham, do a bit of shopping in the day and a meal out somewhere in the city centre. Drive to hotel close to Stratford upon Avon.

Saturday - Stratford upon Avon. Do the touristy thing, have a nice lunch, get tickets to go to a Shakespeare play at the Globe and then out for dinner after

Sunday - Drive down to Bletchley Park and do that, grab some lunch there and then head back to Ipswich in the evening.

If that's not up your street, I always struggle to beat London - but if wanting something a bit more chilled both Cambridge and Norwich are nice and really easy to get to and have some nice restaurants and hotels, and can be combined with a city day and a day in the sticks nearby

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

UK Weekend break on 12:47 - Feb 14 with 4299 viewsCoastalblue

A couple of years ago I did similar and booked a long weekend at this place http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotels/macdonald-elmers-court-hotel-resort/ which is a lovely hotel near the New Forest with a spa.

I pushed the boat out as I was flushed as my house had just sold after my divorce and booked a suite, this wasn't cheap but actually wasn't as exhorbitant as it sounds.
She had a day in the Spa whilst I sat in the bar watching the rugby and we had another day wandering around the country side. The weather was a bit poo but the room was fantastic so no nhardship to spend time there and the food was very good.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

UK Weekend break on 12:54 - Feb 14 with 4284 viewshampstead_blue

New Forest is lovely.

Air B N B will have loads of places. If you fancy some adult fun then there is a Ferrari and Maserati dealership in Lymington.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

UK Weekend break on 12:56 - Feb 14 with 4280 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Depends exactly what you’re looking for, but for me you can’t go wrong with either the New Forest or the Lake District as far as romantic breaks go. Lake District a bit of a trek for 2-3 days mind (assuming you’re Suffolk-based) but definitely worth it IMO

In terms of hotels I stayed in boutique B&B’s at both so may not be exactly what you’re looking for, but if so Montagu Arms (Beaulieu - New Forest) and 1863 (Pooley Bridge - Lake District) which we’re both very nice with excellent dining. Only downside of the Lake District one is it is arguably a bit further north than may have been preferred - 40 mins or so from Ambleside

If looking for more of a luxury hotel/spa type break then no specific recommendations as such, but Secret Escapes tend to have some very good deals for that sort of thing

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

UK Weekend break on 13:47 - Feb 14 with 4220 viewsMedwayTractor

Lots of things to do & see here in the Garden of England, you've got Canterbury, Tunbridge Wells, Chatham Historic Dockyard, lots of pretty countryside (but be quick, houses being built everywhere), two outlet centres (Ashford & Chatham) plus Bluewater for serous shopaholics, Hever & Leeds castles (amongst others), Chartwell. Vineyard and brewery tours. Some of the small villages & towns are worth a visit. Lots of good restaurants, gastro-pubs with rooms & boutique hotels. Dickens Festival in Rochester over the first weekend in June.

If you are driving, Maidstone (for example) in the middle of the county is less than 100 miles from Ipswich, trains go from all the southern London termini all over the county.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

UK Weekend break on 13:49 - Feb 14 with 4212 viewsSpruceMoose

What you're looking for is the little visited seaside resort of Jaywick. Parking at Gatwick is super convenient.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

UK Weekend break on 14:30 - Feb 14 with 4161 viewsjontysnut

Leeds

shopping, food, bars, and easy access to countryside

https://www.visitleeds.co.uk/
UK Weekend break on 14:34 - Feb 14 with 4151 viewsSpruceMoose

UK Weekend break on 14:30 - Feb 14 by jontysnut

Leeds

shopping, food, bars, and easy access to countryside

https://www.visitleeds.co.uk/

Ruled out on account of there being people from Leeds there.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

UK Weekend break on 14:38 - Feb 14 with 4142 viewsNo9

Have yo considered York -
the Viking 1/4 & the superb railway museum
+ a day out at Harrogate?
UK Weekend break on 14:40 - Feb 14 with 4137 viewshype313

UK Weekend break on 14:38 - Feb 14 by No9

Have yo considered York -
the Viking 1/4 & the superb railway museum
+ a day out at Harrogate?

Second that.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

UK Weekend break on 14:43 - Feb 14 with 4133 viewsHeathlander

Belfast. Fly from Stansted. Dead cheap.

It's still the UK but different enough to make it special.

Only an hours flight.

A great City and loads to do.

Heathy
UK Weekend break on 15:49 - Feb 14 with 4053 viewsMeadowlark

Bath. The city, not the room.
UK Weekend break on 15:51 - Feb 14 with 4048 viewsTractorWood

Cambridge. Walks on the Cam, great eating and drinking options, couple of new decent hotels and the Fitzwilliam. Fantastic city.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

UK Weekend break on 16:00 - Feb 14 with 4040 viewsBurwell_Blue

UK Weekend break on 15:51 - Feb 14 by TractorWood

Cambridge. Walks on the Cam, great eating and drinking options, couple of new decent hotels and the Fitzwilliam. Fantastic city.

Really? If you live there it’s dull and dirty. Little to do and a terrible shortage of good pubs.
UK Weekend break on 16:05 - Feb 14 with 4030 viewsTractorWood

UK Weekend break on 16:00 - Feb 14 by Burwell_Blue

Really? If you live there it’s dull and dirty. Little to do and a terrible shortage of good pubs.

Terrible shortage of good pubs? Pint shop, Kingston Arms, Haymakers, Cambridge Blue, Devonshire Arms, Maypole, Flying pig, Brewhouse, Punter, Wrestlers, old bicycle shop, King Street Run for football and even the Grain and Hop store for a GK pub just off the top of my head.

UK Weekend break on 16:08 - Feb 14 with 4028 viewsBasuco

York, nice walks, good brewery tour and lots more.
UK Weekend break on 16:35 - Feb 14 with 4006 viewsBurwell_Blue

UK Weekend break on 16:05 - Feb 14 by TractorWood

Terrible shortage of good pubs? Pint shop, Kingston Arms, Haymakers, Cambridge Blue, Devonshire Arms, Maypole, Flying pig, Brewhouse, Punter, Wrestlers, old bicycle shop, King Street Run for football and even the Grain and Hop store for a GK pub just off the top of my head.

I will give you the Cambridge Blue and the Haymakers (despite it looking like a toilet from the outside), the others Meh, especially the Pint Shop which is hopelessly reliant on tourists that know no better.

The Pig is too far out of town, the Bicycle shop is another tourist haven and the King Street Run need a real deep clean, its filthy.
UK Weekend break on 16:47 - Feb 14 with 3984 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Stratford upon Avon for the Shakespeare stuff, Warwick nearby with its castle, The Cotswolds close by, Possibly a race meeting at either, Birmingham for shopping not to far away. The Welcombe Hotel is wonderful if you want to push the boat out a bit.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

UK Weekend break on 17:09 - Feb 14 with 3956 viewsTractorWood

UK Weekend break on 16:35 - Feb 14 by Burwell_Blue

I will give you the Cambridge Blue and the Haymakers (despite it looking like a toilet from the outside), the others Meh, especially the Pint Shop which is hopelessly reliant on tourists that know no better.

The Pig is too far out of town, the Bicycle shop is another tourist haven and the King Street Run need a real deep clean, its filthy.

Kingston Arms is not a meh. Quite like the Plough in Fen Ditton too.

UK Weekend break on 17:12 - Feb 14 with 3948 viewsBurwell_Blue

UK Weekend break on 17:09 - Feb 14 by TractorWood

Kingston Arms is not a meh. Quite like the Plough in Fen Ditton too.

The Plough? now I know you are messing.
UK Weekend break on 17:37 - Feb 14 with 3924 viewsbluelou

The Lakes would be my choice, try Forest Side in Grasmere ( https://www.theforestside.com/) or the Brimstone Hotel in the Langdales ( https://www.brimstonehotel.co.uk/) which has a cheaper hotel attached if thats a bit steep.

There are some others down around Windermere but it's a bit touristy there.

If that is too far and it probably is even if you get the Virgin Train up from Euston then try the Pig down in the New Forest. It's expensive but its amazing food and loads to do around there from walks to cycling https://www.thepighotel.com/brockenhurst/

finally I also agree that Kent is ace too. I'd stay in Whitstable (or maybe just outside on the beach in Seasalter https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/13041164) and go to the Sportsman. Delicious. Margate/Broadstairs area is a lot of fun too.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024