Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This American shooting thing 12:05 - Feb 15 with 7181 viewsLord_Lucan

I can't remember exactly but there was a quote on the radio from the USA reporter for The Sun.

He said something like "Whilst living here I have reported on the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th worst shootings in USA history and I've only been here two years"

Mental

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This American shooting thing on 12:45 - Feb 15 with 5347 viewsBackToRussia

America = drugs and guns, always has been more or less. Live by the sword die by the sword.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

This American shooting thing on 12:45 - Feb 15 with 5360 viewsGuthrum

The one which spoke volumes to me was the man picking up his child whom he feared had been killed in this shooting:

'Asked by the Guardian if the tragedy should lead to stricter gun control for people with mental health issues, he replied: “I don’t want to get into a gun debate. I really don’t. What are you going to do? Confiscate everybody’s guns? We have millions and millions of weapons … I’m a gun owner. I don’t want the government taking my gun.”'

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This American shooting thing on 12:48 - Feb 15 with 5337 viewsReuser_is_God

This American shooting thing on 12:45 - Feb 15 by Guthrum

The one which spoke volumes to me was the man picking up his child whom he feared had been killed in this shooting:

'Asked by the Guardian if the tragedy should lead to stricter gun control for people with mental health issues, he replied: “I don’t want to get into a gun debate. I really don’t. What are you going to do? Confiscate everybody’s guns? We have millions and millions of weapons … I’m a gun owner. I don’t want the government taking my gun.”'

Bloody hell.

Imagine dropping your kids at school one morning knowing there is a chance they may get shot.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This American shooting thing on 12:48 - Feb 15 with 5330 viewsGlasgowBlue

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/what-i-learned-from-arguing-about-gun-cont

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What worse is this is the on 12:49 - Feb 15 with 5327 viewshomer_123

18th or 19th School shooting in 2018.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This American shooting thing on 12:50 - Feb 15 with 5329 viewsbritbiker

This American shooting thing on 12:45 - Feb 15 by BackToRussia

America = drugs and guns, always has been more or less. Live by the sword die by the sword.

I would have less problem if it was leading members of the gun lobby being targeted, however most of these port souls are from families just trying to get on in life.

Bet the gun lobby are rubbing their hands with the usual spike in sales after these horrid events. Life is twisted.
This American shooting thing on 12:51 - Feb 15 with 5328 viewsnoggin

This American shooting thing on 12:48 - Feb 15 by Reuser_is_God

Bloody hell.

Imagine dropping your kids at school one morning knowing there is a chance they may get shot.

Without checking, was it on here, someone said they googled 'Florida School Shooting' and were given several alternatives? Crazy.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

This American shooting thing on 12:52 - Feb 15 with 5328 viewsGuthrum

That is one issue, the reason many Americans don't want tighter gun control.

In the US they seem far quicker to classify children with even slight behavioural issues as mental health medical cases and feed them drugs accordingly - from a very young age. Happened to a friend of mine who has been on medication since she was about five. Has really screwed up her mental health. Psychoanalysis has always been a bigger part of American popular culture than over here.

Thus if you're aiming to prevent those with a mental health history from owning guns, that's potentially quite a large constituency.

Plus they're terrified of their own government, which they voted for.

Login to get fewer ads

This American shooting thing on 12:52 - Feb 15 with 5319 viewsBackToRussia

This American shooting thing on 12:50 - Feb 15 by britbiker

I would have less problem if it was leading members of the gun lobby being targeted, however most of these port souls are from families just trying to get on in life.

Bet the gun lobby are rubbing their hands with the usual spike in sales after these horrid events. Life is twisted.

Haha jesus life doesn't work like that.

The ones who profit never even get a sight of the bloodshed.

Maybe they should. Maybe they should have walked through Sandy Hook right after it happened.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

This American shooting thing on 12:55 - Feb 15 with 5306 viewsnoggin

This American shooting thing on 12:52 - Feb 15 by Guthrum

In the US they seem far quicker to classify children with even slight behavioural issues as mental health medical cases and feed them drugs accordingly - from a very young age. Happened to a friend of mine who has been on medication since she was about five. Has really screwed up her mental health. Psychoanalysis has always been a bigger part of American popular culture than over here.

Thus if you're aiming to prevent those with a mental health history from owning guns, that's potentially quite a large constituency.

The power of pharmaceutical companies in the free market = massive over prescribing of powerful drugs.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

This American shooting thing on 13:07 - Feb 15 with 5275 viewsbritbiker

This American shooting thing on 12:52 - Feb 15 by BackToRussia

Haha jesus life doesn't work like that.

The ones who profit never even get a sight of the bloodshed.

Maybe they should. Maybe they should have walked through Sandy Hook right after it happened.

Bit like generals sitting behind desks being decorated whilst their solders get slaughtered in the trenches.

Blimey, Planet Rock are playing Black Sabbaths 'War Pigs' just as I was trying this. The lyrics of which are precisely about the same thing.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2018 22:51]
This American shooting thing on 13:15 - Feb 15 with 5241 viewsGlasgowBlue

This American shooting thing on 13:07 - Feb 15 by britbiker

Bit like generals sitting behind desks being decorated whilst their solders get slaughtered in the trenches.

Blimey, Planet Rock are playing Black Sabbaths 'War Pigs' just as I was trying this. The lyrics of which are precisely about the same thing.

Big myth that mate

https://bam.files.bbci.co.uk/bam/live/content/z8rqsbk/large

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zq2y87h

4. The upper class got off lightly
Although the great majority of casualties in WW1 were from the working class, the social and political elite were hit disproportionately hard by WW1. Their sons provided the junior officers whose job it was to lead the way over the top and expose themselves to the greatest danger as an example to their men.

Some 12% of the British army's ordinary soldiers were killed during the war, compared with 17% of its officers. Eton alone lost more than 1,000 former pupils - 20% of those who served. UK wartime Prime Minister Herbert Asquith lost a son, while future Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law lost two. Anthony Eden lost two brothers, another brother of his was terribly wounded, and an uncle was captured.

During the war more than 200 generals were killed, wounded or captured. Most visited the front lines every day. In battle they were considerably closer to the action than generals are today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25776836
[Post edited 15 Feb 2018 13:17]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This American shooting thing on 13:18 - Feb 15 with 5222 viewsThe_Great_Cornholio

Read this morning there's been 29 mass shootings in 45 days. That is madness.

I need TP, TP for my bunghole.

This American shooting thing on 13:20 - Feb 15 with 5221 viewsGuthrum

This American shooting thing on 13:07 - Feb 15 by britbiker

Altho that was always a bit of a myth (which developed in the disillusioned, anti-war atmosphere of the 1920s and '30s).

Quite a lot of the senior officers in the First World War British Army were decorated veterans of previous conflicts. And several were killed in action.

A far bigger problem was lack of competence in some quarters* and a reluctance to trust non-professional soldiers (the Kitchener volunteers) with complex, more effective, tactical plans.

* Tho notably not others, such as Plumer, Allenby, Rawlinson, even Haig himself.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2018 13:21]

This American shooting thing on 13:23 - Feb 15 with 5212 viewsSwansea_Blue

This is the problem. It's so deeply rooted over here. Imagine the reaction back home if the government announced it was banning alcohol. That's pretty much how it would play if they did try to crack down on gun ownership.

Nothing is going to change. They've got to get better at reading the signals, as it sounds like plenty we're missed in this case.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This American shooting thing on 13:24 - Feb 15 with 5210 viewsartsbossbeard

It's not like they have a monopoly on angry former pupils or disgruntled ex-employees, is it?

In similar circumstances over here, the fella would return to the scene, break a few windows, key a few cars, shout some expletives. Perhaps deposit some excrement through a letter box.

But they're unlikely to go on a killing spree because they won't have the means.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

This American shooting thing on 13:31 - Feb 15 with 5178 viewsSwansea_Blue

This American shooting thing on 13:24 - Feb 15 by artsbossbeard

It's not like they have a monopoly on angry former pupils or disgruntled ex-employees, is it?

In similar circumstances over here, the fella would return to the scene, break a few windows, key a few cars, shout some expletives. Perhaps deposit some excrement through a letter box.

But they're unlikely to go on a killing spree because they won't have the means.

So on the plus side, being a postie is a far more pleasant job in the states!

💩📮

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This American shooting thing on 14:14 - Feb 15 with 5098 viewsBluesquid

Terrible.
Can't help but think that there would of been more victims if they didn't practice dealing with just this kind of event.
In fact they actually had a 'live shooter drill' in the morning.
Must of been very confusing.
One teacher told the kids to "hang in there, this may be a drill".
This American shooting thing on 14:28 - Feb 15 with 5038 viewsNo9

When it comes to this sort of stuff, they are a third world country.
This American shooting thing on 14:31 - Feb 15 with 5034 viewsBlueBadger

And equally, I suspect suggesting that broadening healthcare accessibility, particularly within the mental health field would have met with an equally hostile reaction.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This American shooting thing on 14:33 - Feb 15 with 5023 viewsGuthrum

This American shooting thing on 14:14 - Feb 15 by Bluesquid

Terrible.
Can't help but think that there would of been more victims if they didn't practice dealing with just this kind of event.
In fact they actually had a 'live shooter drill' in the morning.
Must of been very confusing.
One teacher told the kids to "hang in there, this may be a drill".

The very fact they have to have drills for such circumstances itself suggests an alarming frequency.

But there's no need to tackle any of the root causes, hey?

This American shooting thing on 14:34 - Feb 15 with 5017 viewsBlueBadger

This American shooting thing on 12:52 - Feb 15 by Guthrum

In all fairness, being terrified of their current government seems wholly sane and sensible.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This American shooting thing on 14:46 - Feb 15 with 4989 viewsNo9

This American shooting thing on 14:33 - Feb 15 by Guthrum

The very fact they have to have drills for such circumstances itself suggests an alarming frequency.

my first 'business' trip to the USA was in the early 90's they were installing metal detectors in junior schools then because of the hardware some children were taking to school.
This American shooting thing on 14:48 - Feb 15 with 4987 viewsBluesquid

This American shooting thing on 14:33 - Feb 15 by Guthrum

Err, i haven't said they shouldn't.
Just said that the 'live shooter drill' that they had on the same day in the morning may have actually saved lives.
I mean surely the police/agents/emergency workers taking part in the drill were already there on site from the morning and lives may have been saved unless of course they left after the drill and had to return later.
This American shooting thing on 15:02 - Feb 15 with 4965 viewsGuthrum

This American shooting thing on 14:48 - Feb 15 by Bluesquid

Err, i haven't said they shouldn't.
Just said that the 'live shooter drill' that they had on the same day in the morning may have actually saved lives.
I mean surely the police/agents/emergency workers taking part in the drill were already there on site from the morning and lives may have been saved unless of course they left after the drill and had to return later.

Sorry, that bit was directed rhetorically at the US authorities, not you!

I thought it was a fire drill in the morning rather than an "active shooter" one? Thus the confusion when the alarms went off again (activated by the murderer), with some thinking it was a malfunction.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024