Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cost to the taxpayer - Compensation to the wealthy for the abolition of slavery 13:45 - Feb 15 with 964 viewsNo9

Who like me didn't realise how much this was and that we, the taxpayer didn't see this wound up until 2015?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/12/treasury-tweet-slavery-com
Cost to the taxpayer - Compensation to the wealthy for the abolition of slavery on 14:46 - Feb 15 with 910 viewsGuthrum

I thought it was fairly well known. The government effectively bought the slave-owners out in a compulsory purchase.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2018 14:52]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cost to the taxpayer - Compensation to the wealthy for the abolition of slavery on 14:52 - Feb 15 with 903 viewsNo9

Cost to the taxpayer - Compensation to the wealthy for the abolition of slavery on 14:46 - Feb 15 by Guthrum

I thought it was fairly well known. The government effectively bought the slave-owners out in a compulsory purchase.

The fact that slave onwers were bought out yes but I didn't although you may have, realised we were still paying for this up to 2015?
So incluiding all the high interst costs in the 80's it would have been a very considerable amount more than the estimated £100 Bn ?
Cost to the taxpayer - Compensation to the wealthy for the abolition of slavery on 14:59 - Feb 15 with 896 viewsGuthrum

Cost to the taxpayer - Compensation to the wealthy for the abolition of slavery on 14:52 - Feb 15 by No9

The fact that slave onwers were bought out yes but I didn't although you may have, realised we were still paying for this up to 2015?
So incluiding all the high interst costs in the 80's it would have been a very considerable amount more than the estimated £100 Bn ?

There are quite a few of these odd historical items lying around in the UK's government finances. Things we could have paid off far sooner, but either didn't have the spare income or decided to put the money into other expensive hobbies (e.g. major wars). And, of course, they are all accruing interest and the effects of inflation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cost to the taxpayer - Compensation to the wealthy for the abolition of slavery on 15:03 - Feb 15 with 887 viewsBlueBadger

Cost to the taxpayer - Compensation to the wealthy for the abolition of slavery on 14:46 - Feb 15 by Guthrum

On a side note, I've just finished this fascinating read.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-British-Forgotten-David-Olusoga-ebook/dp/B01DKHFY

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024