Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Words that have died out/are dying out... 09:50 - Feb 16 with 25468 viewsSitfcB

Inspired by Lucan using the word 'pictures' for the cinema, what other words have died out, or are on their way out?

I do enjoy the 'old' words.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 09:55 - Feb 16 with 9541 viewschicoazul

"promotion"
"play offs"
"excitement"

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 09:55 - Feb 16 with 9543 viewsPJH

'happy' by the look of a lot of the posts on here.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:00 - Feb 16 with 9511 viewshomer_123

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 09:55 - Feb 16 by PJH

'happy' by the look of a lot of the posts on here.

I'd say more like 'objective' to be honest.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:00 - Feb 16 with 9512 viewsHeathlander

I still say I am going to tape something. Even though I have super duper Sky Q.

Kids laugh at me when I say that.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:08 - Feb 16 with 9479 viewstcblue

Nuance
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:08 - Feb 16 with 9477 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Not a word as such but I did confuse the missus the other day that I got something from Lakeland Plastics

Seemingly it’s not been called that in a while

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:10 - Feb 16 with 9466 viewsTJS

I'm trying to revive the correct use of 'shall' instead of 'will'
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:11 - Feb 16 with 9464 viewsHeathlander

I still call the Regent the Gaumont.
Login to get fewer ads

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:15 - Feb 16 with 9442 viewseireblue

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:10 - Feb 16 by TJS

I'm trying to revive the correct use of 'shall' instead of 'will'

Do you think you shall be successful, I will try and be supportive.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:16 - Feb 16 with 9441 viewsGeoffSentence

Related to that example, film is dying out in favour of movie.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:18 - Feb 16 with 9431 viewsSWGF

"afters" for dessert although that may be a class/regional thing.

I still use "pictures". The kids look at me like I'm mad...more so than usual.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:23 - Feb 16 with 9411 viewsartsbossbeard

The now universally accepted US use of the word "seasons" over the good old fashioned "series".

Stupid Yanks.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:26 - Feb 16 with 9392 viewsWicksy

'Train station' instead of 'railway station'

The cars in the churchyard Were shiny and German Distinctly at odds with The theme of the sermon

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:31 - Feb 16 with 9372 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I've noticed the word "Twice" has been spoken much less in recent years, instead (and infuriatingly) they say "Two Times" which makes them sound like a cave dwelling moron.

The word Thrice has always been underused in my opinion.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:32 - Feb 16 with 9368 viewschicoazul

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:23 - Feb 16 by artsbossbeard

The now universally accepted US use of the word "seasons" over the good old fashioned "series".

Stupid Yanks.

That's correct though. Season 7 of the series Game of Thrones.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:32 - Feb 16 with 9365 viewsGeoffSentence

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:26 - Feb 16 by Wicksy

'Train station' instead of 'railway station'

'on time ' has died out in favour of 'within 10 minutes of the scheduled time at an undetermined point somewhere outside of the station'

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:34 - Feb 16 with 9354 viewsartsbossbeard

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:32 - Feb 16 by chicoazul

That's correct though. Season 7 of the series Game of Thrones.

Series 7 of Game of Thrones.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:35 - Feb 16 with 9338 viewsGlasgowBlue

Wireless instead of radio.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:35 - Feb 16 with 9344 viewsbrazil1982

The "wireless"
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:38 - Feb 16 with 9332 viewsSteve_M

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:35 - Feb 16 by GlasgowBlue

Although the interesting thing there, is how wireless has re-emerged into the popular lexicon through wireless networks.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:45 - Feb 16 with 9304 viewsITFC_Forever

Bantz and scenes hopefully.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:45 - Feb 16 with 9303 viewsLord_Lucan

Ne'er do well

It's one of my favourite phrases

Also, Bonce.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:57 - Feb 16 with 9276 viewsGeoffSentence

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:35 - Feb 16 by GlasgowBlue

How about Gramophone.

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 11:01 - Feb 16 with 9266 viewsnoggin

Caff (cafe). Now it's all bloody coffee shops.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 11:07 - Feb 16 with 9250 viewsThrobbe

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:00 - Feb 16 by Heathlander

I still say I am going to tape something. Even though I have super duper Sky Q.

Kids laugh at me when I say that.

I still suggest videoing stuff we want to watch later. My kids are similarly bemused/amused.

I still use 'fewer' correctly, but do realise that it really doesn't matter.

I find it hard to believe that there are grown ups with their own children that will never have called anyone a Joey as an insult, although in hindsight that's probably a good thing.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024