Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Words that have died out/are dying out... 09:50 - Feb 16 with 25481 viewsSitfcB

Inspired by Lucan using the word 'pictures' for the cinema, what other words have died out, or are on their way out?

I do enjoy the 'old' words.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 00:15 - Feb 17 with 5087 viewsClapham_Junction

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 11:19 - Feb 16 by TIB

More a derogatory phrase but..."Gaylord".

And quite rightly it should be gone...but back in the day that was rife.

"Oi Josh, you fancy coming to build a den?"

"Sorry mate, I'm just playing FIFA 94 on my Sega Mega Drive"

"Ah don't be a Gaylord".

There was a kid in the year above me at school called Gaylord. God only knows what his parents thought they were doing when they gave him that name. Having said that he was a complete arsehole and a bully so sympathy was in somewhat short supply. Remembering this prompted me to Google him and the first hit was a news story about him being summoned to court for beating up a woman.

One word my grandparents used on a regular basis but I hardly hear any more is "yonder".
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 00:24 - Feb 17 with 5076 viewsDarth_Koont

Good riddance. If words can't survive on their own merits they deserve to die.

Of course they'll always be around if people want to say them, look them up or read them. Which is how it should be.

Pronouns: He/Him

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:18 - Feb 17 with 5008 viewstiptreeblue

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 19:14 - Feb 16 by SpruceMoose

Really? Not with the people I know. You must just knock about with some wrong 'uns.

Ah. Essex. That explains it!

Sorry, but why do most of your replies have to be sarcastic in some way?.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:43 - Feb 17 with 5000 viewsBenters2

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:18 - Feb 17 by tiptreeblue

Sorry, but why do most of your replies have to be sarcastic in some way?.

Becuase he thinks he is blooming hilarious?
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:45 - Feb 17 with 4998 viewsBenters2

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 22:01 - Feb 16 by Melford

Gordon Bennett as an exclamation. Never hear that anymore.

I up arrowed that from my 'front room' do people still have front rooms?
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 6:46]
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:48 - Feb 17 with 4999 viewstiptreeblue

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:43 - Feb 17 by Benters2

Just comes across a little tedious at times. people trying trying to have a normal thread without trying to stir up a little animosity.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:53 - Feb 17 with 4996 viewsbrogansnose

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:45 - Feb 17 by Benters2

I've got a front room, mind you, I think its another way of saying 'best room' which before that people probably called the parlour, the room you only went in at Christmas. Its now now the dogs room.

I love that dog.

I also had a larder in my house until I knocked it out. Attics are now lofts. Rooms are now 'spaces'.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 07:10 - Feb 17 with 4980 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I hope so,if not where would you be ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 08:39 - Feb 17 with 4961 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Yep, although mine is at the back of my house, naturally

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 08:44 - Feb 17 with 4958 viewsDeano69

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 16:07 - Feb 16 by Lord_Lucan

Are they a bit simple?

They are different things.

Not at all.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 09:13 - Feb 17 with 4944 viewsbahri

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 11:41 - Feb 16 by north_stand77

UPictures for me too although my mum used to call them 'The Flicks'. I can never bring myself to use the word 'Cinema'.

Also, somebody talking rubbish as 'Talking Tripe'

Squit was also used for talking rubbish.
It was also used to describe things as rubbish. ' that television programme was a load of squit'
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 9:22]

redandella

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 09:17 - Feb 17 with 4937 viewsTIB

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 21:07 - Feb 16 by dickie

Sorry to be a pedant but Fifa '94 doesn't exist on the Sega Megadrive. Fifa International Soccer was released in 1993 then was followed in 1994 by Fifa '95 (featuring Ipswich on the back cover if I recall).

Gaylord.

Phil...Dickie called me a Gaylord.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 15:36 - Feb 17 with 4875 viewssolemio

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 00:15 - Feb 17 by Clapham_Junction

There was a kid in the year above me at school called Gaylord. God only knows what his parents thought they were doing when they gave him that name. Having said that he was a complete arsehole and a bully so sympathy was in somewhat short supply. Remembering this prompted me to Google him and the first hit was a news story about him being summoned to court for beating up a woman.

One word my grandparents used on a regular basis but I hardly hear any more is "yonder".

When my dad was asked where he was going he had two stock replies: 'Over yonder' and 'Across the way'.

I think it would be better if the word 'unique' died out. It means the only one of its kind in the world, no other like it. Hardly anyone understands this any longer. It can't be fairly unique or very unique. We now virtually don't have a word with the real meaning of unique. It doesn't - or didn't - mean unusual.

Don't tell me this one doesn't matter; the expressive power of the English language is being weakened.

Solemio, National President of the National Pedants Society
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 15:54 - Feb 17 with 4868 viewsLord_Lucan

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 15:36 - Feb 17 by solemio

When my dad was asked where he was going he had two stock replies: 'Over yonder' and 'Across the way'.

I think it would be better if the word 'unique' died out. It means the only one of its kind in the world, no other like it. Hardly anyone understands this any longer. It can't be fairly unique or very unique. We now virtually don't have a word with the real meaning of unique. It doesn't - or didn't - mean unusual.

Don't tell me this one doesn't matter; the expressive power of the English language is being weakened.

Solemio, National President of the National Pedants Society

Talking pedantry it really annoys me when for example you are in a cafe and there is a sign saying "Best Breakfast £5.99" and another sign saying "The Big one £7.99" thus indicating that the best breakfast isn't actually their best breakfast at all.

Drives me mad.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 17:30 - Feb 17 with 4814 viewsBenters2

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:53 - Feb 17 by brogansnose

I've got a front room, mind you, I think its another way of saying 'best room' which before that people probably called the parlour, the room you only went in at Christmas. Its now now the dogs room.

I love that dog.

I also had a larder in my house until I knocked it out. Attics are now lofts. Rooms are now 'spaces'.

My first house had a pantry.

Also a outside sh1thouse.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 17:44 - Feb 17 with 4808 viewsfabian_illness

When I was a toddler, my nan used to take me everywhere in a 'tripper' which is now called a pushchair.
We used to sit and watch the 'box' which is of course the TV.
We used to have things called 'lights' on our bikes for when it was dark, they seem to have disappeared.
We used to walk on the 'pavement'.
Anyone caught without 'lights' on their bike at night was given a stern telling off by a tall scary man called a 'policeman', you don't see those anymore.
Anyone caught riding their bike on the 'pavement' was given a stern telling off by the same 'policeman'.
Anyone caught riding their bike at night with no 'lights' on the 'pavement' was in real trouble.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 17:51 - Feb 17 with 4800 viewsJ2BLUE

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 00:24 - Feb 17 by Darth_Koont

Good riddance. If words can't survive on their own merits they deserve to die.

Of course they'll always be around if people want to say them, look them up or read them. Which is how it should be.

If that is true then eventually we'll all be talking like someone from Love Island as the relentless dumbing down of society continues.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 17:54 - Feb 17 with 4796 viewsbrogansnose

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 17:30 - Feb 17 by Benters2

My first house had a pantry.

Also a outside sh1thouse.

I've still got an outside toilet. I did put one inside when I did the house up. I always think its quite healthy to have the toilet outside. I don't like the idea of an en-suite, its virtually going to the toilet in your bathroom.

Ooooohhh, a pantry. There's posh.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 21:15 - Feb 17 with 4728 viewsnorth_stand77

You never hear people talking about having a 'Beat up old banger'.

Everyone seems to drive around in smart new shiny things now.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 21:53 - Feb 17 with 4693 viewsBluedanW

I still like to call the 4 stands north, churchmans, pioneer and cobbold stand..i don't like change.

Not sure if it's old words or just that I had an Irish dad, but scallions instead of spring onions.

Smidgen is a word I ain't heard for a while too
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 22:20 - Feb 17 with 4683 viewsjontysnut

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:53 - Feb 17 by brogansnose

I love that dog.

We had a settee rather than sofa in our front room. And a pelmet.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 23:28 - Feb 17 with 4647 viewsSpruceMoose

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 06:43 - Feb 17 by Benters2

Benters! I thought we made a friendship pact!? How could you betray me so quickly?!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 04:16 - Feb 18 with 4584 viewsBenters2

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 17:54 - Feb 17 by brogansnose

I've still got an outside toilet. I did put one inside when I did the house up. I always think its quite healthy to have the toilet outside. I don't like the idea of an en-suite, its virtually going to the toilet in your bathroom.

Ooooohhh, a pantry. There's posh.

I have three toilets in our house now.

But sometines i get caught out at work and you cant beat a good clear out outside.

Proped up under a tree sitting on a bucket .

Smashing.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 04:25 - Feb 18 with 4577 viewsBenters2

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 23:28 - Feb 17 by SpruceMoose

Benters! I thought we made a friendship pact!? How could you betray me so quickly?!

Its one sided you fool!
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 04:37 - Feb 18 with 4574 viewsSpruceMoose

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 04:25 - Feb 18 by Benters2

Its one sided you fool!

Oh well. Can't say I didn't try. Enjoy your trip to Norwich.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024