Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting re depression - 10:31 - Feb 17 with 4683 viewsRyorry

Just for info if people want to read up on it -

https://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/blog/saffron-verses-anti-depressants-natures-wa

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Interesting re depression - on 10:43 - Feb 17 with 4646 viewsGuthrum

Tho when it comes to natural remedies for depression and anxiety, St John's Wort is tricky stuff - causes problems when combined with almost everything else.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Interesting re depression - on 10:47 - Feb 17 with 4624 viewsRyorry

Interesting re depression - on 10:43 - Feb 17 by Guthrum

Tho when it comes to natural remedies for depression and anxiety, St John's Wort is tricky stuff - causes problems when combined with almost everything else.

Good to warn people, but the article is about saffron tbf!

Interesting re depression - on 10:53 - Feb 17 with 4619 viewsstrikalite

Without a shadow of a doubt vitamin D3 at dosage of 100ug a day has worked wonders for my mood and well being....I can't speak for anyone and wouldn't want to on deep depression though, but if you haven't tried it for a period of time then do it..

So cheap..

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-vitamin-d3-tablets
Interesting re depression - on 11:16 - Feb 17 with 4587 viewsGuthrum

Interesting re depression - on 10:47 - Feb 17 by Ryorry

Good to warn people, but the article is about saffron tbf!

Yes, it was a "related topic" comment, not a criticism of what you posted. Indeed, suggests that saffron would be a better option.

Interesting re depression - on 11:35 - Feb 17 with 4572 viewsGuthrum

Interesting re depression - on 10:53 - Feb 17 by strikalite

Without a shadow of a doubt vitamin D3 at dosage of 100ug a day has worked wonders for my mood and well being....I can't speak for anyone and wouldn't want to on deep depression though, but if you haven't tried it for a period of time then do it..

So cheap..

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-vitamin-d3-tablets

Most modern people don't (or aren't able to) go outside enough during daylight hours - particularly at this time of year, when there's not that many hours of it.

Interesting re depression - on 15:52 - Feb 17 with 4476 viewsBlueBadger

Astonishingly enough for an article from a website called 'goodness direct' there may actually be some genuine(if not, at present, a huge amount) evidence to support this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4643654/
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 15:53]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Interesting re depression - on 18:53 - Feb 17 with 4422 viewsRyorry

Interesting re depression - on 15:52 - Feb 17 by BlueBadger

Astonishingly enough for an article from a website called 'goodness direct' there may actually be some genuine(if not, at present, a huge amount) evidence to support this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4643654/
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 15:53]

I wasn't trying to advertise them (tho they're a decent enough outfit) but couldn't reproduce the article without the link to them.

In fairness to them, the email I got which contained the link, also had this preface citing the various clinical trials, which I forgot to post here, apologies -

"Recent studies have shown that saffron, the world’s most expensive spice, has antidepressant properties. Over the years numerous double-blind, placebo-controlled and randomized clinical trails indicate that saffron worked as effectively as well-known antidepressant drugs in reducing depressive symptoms.

Read more into how saffron works on our mind and mood .."
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 18:57]

Interesting re depression - on 18:58 - Feb 17 with 4412 viewsBenters2

Interesting re depression - on 11:35 - Feb 17 by Guthrum

Most modern people don't (or aren't able to) go outside enough during daylight hours - particularly at this time of year, when there's not that many hours of it.

I do i hate being inside.
Login to get fewer ads

Interesting re depression - on 19:01 - Feb 17 with 4410 viewsRyorry

Interesting re depression - on 18:58 - Feb 17 by Benters2

I do i hate being inside.

Me too. Roll on spring & summer!

Interesting re depression - on 23:23 - Sep 16 with 3624 viewscaught-in-limbo

Hi Ryorry

I've stumbled on this post, and I'm not sure if it's from February this year or a previous year.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's saffron that's actually working the magic. Based on some of the things I know about you, you'll find this video especially interesting:

The video is really just a lead in to far far greater analysis which is available in the second video linked.

I'm sure there'll be some come back from those that champion the pharmaceutical industry, proper scientists and peer review process, so here's a superb (but much longer and less digestible for the hard-of-numbers) video to answer any questions they may have.

(start at 8:30. Finish at 1:11:00)

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Interesting re depression - on 23:34 - Sep 16 with 3600 viewsRyorry

Interesting re depression - on 23:23 - Sep 16 by caught-in-limbo

Hi Ryorry

I've stumbled on this post, and I'm not sure if it's from February this year or a previous year.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's saffron that's actually working the magic. Based on some of the things I know about you, you'll find this video especially interesting:

The video is really just a lead in to far far greater analysis which is available in the second video linked.

I'm sure there'll be some come back from those that champion the pharmaceutical industry, proper scientists and peer review process, so here's a superb (but much longer and less digestible for the hard-of-numbers) video to answer any questions they may have.

Hiya - can't recall if this year or last, tbh! Think probably this, but unsure.

Will watch later, thanks, no time at mo. Luckily, I don't usually suffer from deptression - but what shocked me was that on a routine check for bone density in Aug, a blood test revealed that I'm 33% down in the vitD level I should be at! After this summer! Can only think it was so hot that I wasn't outside as much as usual during the day, left a lot of work and dogwalking till 5-10pm. Anyway, taking 1,000iu in sunflower oil capsule after main meal now, a level OK'd with GP.

Thanks for posting :)

Interesting re depression - on 00:07 - Sep 17 with 3579 viewsBrixtonBlue

Interesting re depression - on 23:34 - Sep 16 by Ryorry

Hiya - can't recall if this year or last, tbh! Think probably this, but unsure.

Will watch later, thanks, no time at mo. Luckily, I don't usually suffer from deptression - but what shocked me was that on a routine check for bone density in Aug, a blood test revealed that I'm 33% down in the vitD level I should be at! After this summer! Can only think it was so hot that I wasn't outside as much as usual during the day, left a lot of work and dogwalking till 5-10pm. Anyway, taking 1,000iu in sunflower oil capsule after main meal now, a level OK'd with GP.

Thanks for posting :)

It was this year and I tried both yours and Strikalite's suggestions. Didn't notice anything with the saffron but seemed a bit more chipper with the Vit D3. Stopped drinking shortly after as well... and then we had that amazing summer, so could've been a combination of all these things.

Not saying 100% saffron didn't work though. I might not have been taking it long enough.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Interesting re depression - on 07:18 - Sep 17 with 3501 viewsgordon

Hi Ryorry

This is an odd post - why isn't Irving Kirsch a proper scientist? He's a Professor at a prestigious University, his work is published in high-ranking peer-reviewed journals. His studies on the placebo effect use the same rigorous methods and analytical techniques as mainstream clinical science, and there are lots of other researchers coming to similar conclusions.

To put it another way, this is wot proper science is, and I agree, it's very valuable to society.
Interesting re depression - on 07:25 - Sep 17 with 3491 viewsgordon

Interesting re depression - on 07:18 - Sep 17 by gordon

This is an odd post - why isn't Irving Kirsch a proper scientist? He's a Professor at a prestigious University, his work is published in high-ranking peer-reviewed journals. His studies on the placebo effect use the same rigorous methods and analytical techniques as mainstream clinical science, and there are lots of other researchers coming to similar conclusions.

To put it another way, this is wot proper science is, and I agree, it's very valuable to society.

Incidentally, it's possible that another explanation which would account for the fact that antidepressants don't outperform placebo would be that most people prescribed anti-depressants in America don't actually have depression or need anti-depressants.
Interesting re depression - on 08:30 - Sep 17 with 3445 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting re depression - on 07:18 - Sep 17 by gordon

Don't worry Gordon, I know he's a proper scientist, though there'll always be someone who'll question his credentials and dismiss this work as unscientific. Someone has already taken a dislike to my post and I'm sure he won't be the last. Anyway, I agree with everything you said.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2018 8:41]

#toxic

Interesting re depression - on 09:00 - Sep 17 with 3394 viewslowhouseblue

Hi Ryorry

you're just a pusher for the all powerful, multinational, big sugar corporations.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Interesting re depression - on 09:20 - Sep 17 with 3361 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting re depression - on 09:00 - Sep 17 by lowhouseblue

you're just a pusher for the all powerful, multinational, big sugar corporations.

I was born with a Silver Spoon in my mouth.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2018 9:35]

#toxic

Interesting re depression - on 19:11 - Dec 23 with 815 viewsSappySue

Lately I have started noticing that my mood is getting worse, maybe it's just stress, or maybe it's the initial form of depression. I don't know how to deal with it. Can anyone give me a hint?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024