Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year 08:03 - Feb 18 with 7610 viewsBrixtonBlue

Some of you may recall I was toying with the idea of giving up alcohol for a year... well I've decided to do it, and have chosen today's derby as the day to begin the challenge.

As I said before, I'm going to be writing about the experience (partly as a motivation to keep going), so who knows, there may even be a book at the end of it (at the very least there'll be a year of my life documented, which will be interesting for me to look back on in years to come).

It's something I've been thinking of doing for a few years, and something I kind of need to do now. Plus I want to do it while my parents are still alive. There's nothing wrong with them, they're just old! My dad's 82 this year so if I don't do it soon he won't get to see it!

Anyway, let's hope my last drink is of celebration rather than commiseration. COYB.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 10:45 - Feb 18 with 1812 viewsgerard1947

Good luck with your quest.

I'm a boring person who has never bothered with alcohol. I got drunk once as a youngster to see what it was like and I've tried various drinks to see what they taste like because people have said how good they are.

Often, especially when a work, I attended numerous hospitality and PR events, I was asked by people who didn't know me if I was a recovering alcoholic or was on medication.

I admit sometimes I have wished I did drink but it's probably too late to change now. I have absolutely no issue with people who do drink.
Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:06 - Feb 18 with 1786 viewsGlasgowBlue

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 10:45 - Feb 18 by gerard1947

Good luck with your quest.

I'm a boring person who has never bothered with alcohol. I got drunk once as a youngster to see what it was like and I've tried various drinks to see what they taste like because people have said how good they are.

Often, especially when a work, I attended numerous hospitality and PR events, I was asked by people who didn't know me if I was a recovering alcoholic or was on medication.

I admit sometimes I have wished I did drink but it's probably too late to change now. I have absolutely no issue with people who do drink.

It’s funny how people jump to the conclusion that you are a recovering alcoholic if you don’t drink. I found that question coming up so often that I just used to say I was driving or I had to be up early for work rather than just say I don’t drink any more.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:19 - Feb 18 with 1769 viewsbluejake78

on 10:07 - Feb 18 by _

Need some uncle vodders with that.The one that hugs you a bit too much but you get to like it.
Previously I have stopped drinking and spliffed it...another bad idea.
Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:22 - Feb 18 with 1767 viewsgerard1947

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:06 - Feb 18 by GlasgowBlue

It’s funny how people jump to the conclusion that you are a recovering alcoholic if you don’t drink. I found that question coming up so often that I just used to say I was driving or I had to be up early for work rather than just say I don’t drink any more.

I remember posting a vaguely similar post sometime ago on here but not saying I've never really touched alcohol. I had a reply asking how long I'd been clean.
Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:23 - Feb 18 with 1764 viewsstrikalite

I don't know your lifestyle but for most people it's probably the Saturday evening and out with friends that will restrict you, I think most people could cut out drink Mon-Fri if they wanted to quite easily, or maybe that's just me? Saturday if you're used to a drink and getting on a level with others having a drink too then not drinking at all will be hard, is that what you want? I'm not saying getting smashed just two or three...

I can take or leave drink, but if you drink a fair bit throughout the week you're going to have to replace it with something...

Oh and drink your Pepsi max through a straw J2! It will help...
Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:24 - Feb 18 with 1760 viewsRyorry

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 09:35 - Feb 18 by J2BLUE

Is that when the Coke Zero addicted started?

I could give up alcohol for as long as you want but ask me to give up Pepsi Max/Coke Zero and I struggle to go a day.

Coke/Pepsi in those quantities is probably much worse for you than beer.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:29 - Feb 18 with 1753 viewsBrixtonBlue

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:23 - Feb 18 by strikalite

I don't know your lifestyle but for most people it's probably the Saturday evening and out with friends that will restrict you, I think most people could cut out drink Mon-Fri if they wanted to quite easily, or maybe that's just me? Saturday if you're used to a drink and getting on a level with others having a drink too then not drinking at all will be hard, is that what you want? I'm not saying getting smashed just two or three...

I can take or leave drink, but if you drink a fair bit throughout the week you're going to have to replace it with something...

Oh and drink your Pepsi max through a straw J2! It will help...

"just two or three"

I've already explained I've tried just cutting down.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:29 - Feb 18 with 1751 viewsbluejake78

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:24 - Feb 18 by Ryorry

Coke/Pepsi in those quantities is probably much worse for you than beer.

Ryorry you are my mum.
Login to get fewer ads

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:36 - Feb 18 with 1749 viewsRyorry

Haven't had alcohol since a glass of wine on NYE '91-'92 ( or it could have been the following year, can't recall exactly) when allergic reaction was so extreme that I knew I could never have it again.

Not sure if it would work for anyone who doesn't actually have that problem, but might be worth trying to fix a mindset which says "I simply can't have it again & that's the end of it" ?

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:36 - Feb 18 with 1748 viewsnoggin

Best thing I did was move further from the pub. My nearest boozer is now about a mile away and so the required effort often keeps me from drinking, especially in the winter months.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:37 - Feb 18 with 1745 viewsRyorry

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:29 - Feb 18 by bluejake78

Ryorry you are my mum.

I never liked to tell you before, but since you've now guessed ...

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:48 - Feb 18 with 1723 viewsstrikalite

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:29 - Feb 18 by BrixtonBlue

"just two or three"

I've already explained I've tried just cutting down.

Sorry, skipped through it really...yeah can be easily said than done..

Good luck..
Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:48 - Feb 18 with 1726 viewsNewcyBlue

Alright Dollers? I ignored my doctor for a while, realised it was bad when I was drunk one afternoon hours before having Seb.

I also knew it was bad when the only way to stop my body from tingling in the morning was drinking when I woke up.

I am much more of a recluse now. I would like to tel you I have lost weight, but I eat a bit too much.

All I can say is, going out is going to suck balls. People will try to convince you that one won’t hurt, they will rip the piss out of you.

Have some tonic water in a short glass or something like that.

Find something else to do if your mates or colleagues are idiots about it.

You will save a fortune too. To begin with I took the money I would spend and stuck t in a pot.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Jerseys clesrly thinks that maybe he has on 11:54 - Feb 18 with 1717 viewsLord_Lucan

Jerseys clesrly thinks that maybe he has on 10:33 - Feb 18 by Dyland

And if he thinks he may have an issue with the nectar from heaven, then he probably has.

Writing a book about it is something I'd take the p1ss out of (nicely) if it was my family or close friend. But honestly, whatever works for individuals innit.

Personally if I didn't still drink heavily or consume other naughties, maybe I'd be happier or sadder. I've never tried to stop for any more than a few weeks so I don't know. And as it stands I don't intend to find out, simply because I don't think I have an issue. Some people I know disagree, but hey ho.

I do however have enforced days off the pop. Which I guess suggests an issue in one sense, but the reality for each individual and situation is pretty nuanced and not as straightforward as some make out.

I no longer drink at home, in fact I only drink whist in Nodge from Wednesday - Fridays.

When I get home I can't sleep very well on Saturday and Sunday evening because alcohol affects sleep rhythms.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:55 - Feb 18 with 1714 viewsDyland

Today I shall drink my last alcohol for a year on 11:48 - Feb 18 by NewcyBlue

Alright Dollers? I ignored my doctor for a while, realised it was bad when I was drunk one afternoon hours before having Seb.

I also knew it was bad when the only way to stop my body from tingling in the morning was drinking when I woke up.

I am much more of a recluse now. I would like to tel you I have lost weight, but I eat a bit too much.

All I can say is, going out is going to suck balls. People will try to convince you that one won’t hurt, they will rip the piss out of you.

Have some tonic water in a short glass or something like that.

Find something else to do if your mates or colleagues are idiots about it.

You will save a fortune too. To begin with I took the money I would spend and stuck t in a pot.

I read that first as "... I took the money I would spend and spent it on pot."

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024