Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off 10:54 - Feb 19 with 4489 viewsFinidiCentenary

I appreciate some feel it was totally wrong and want him gone for it and that others do not feel it was aimed at us.

But for those that feel he did say it and it was fine please answer me this:

What other business (and we are a business) would let this go without any consequences?

I have worked in customer facing roles. I have been abused my customers verbally, once physically. I have had people with entirely valid complaints, ridiculous ones and even made up ones. I have often thought I'd love to tell this person to f*** off but you simply don't.

You would lose your job. You remain professional and that is when you are on £20k or £30k a year. Not that much per week.

Quite simply, this excuse about it being football doesn't wash. McCarthy should not get abuse from the fans, but if he does it's no different to entitled, idiotic customers complaining about food not being cooked how they wanted it or a product they bought incorrectly being the wrong one. No matter what you think of that person you remain professional.

Almost every other manager in the country manages not to tell their fans to f*** off. Some in the most personal and horrendous of abuse.

Quite simply Mick is a professional paid a vast sum of money who should never, ever react like that no matter what the abuse. We are customers. This isn't tit for tat.

I'd like to know where people think (outside of maybe being physically assaulted) that any manager could ever tell a customer to f*** off and not be sacked or severely disciplined by the owner?

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 10:57 - Feb 19 with 3062 viewsLankHenners

Equally if you went into a place of work and shouted abuse at the staff whilst they were going about their job you'd most probably get kicked out and wouldn't be allowed to return.

No matter how drawn out people want to make football/'the real world' comparisons, it just doesn't work.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 10:57 - Feb 19 with 3062 viewskeighleyblue

Yawn... how do you know it was aimed at the fans... he says it wasn't.. (bangs head repeatedly)...
A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 10:59 - Feb 19 with 3041 viewskeighleyblue

Also... you think hundreds of d1ckheads chanting at you that your work is sh1t, on live TV in front of millions, is acceptable and befitting of ITFC.. I don't.

Just sick of the hand-wringing and hypocrisy of posts like this.
A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 10:59 - Feb 19 with 3040 viewsFinidiCentenary

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 10:57 - Feb 19 by keighleyblue

Yawn... how do you know it was aimed at the fans... he says it wasn't.. (bangs head repeatedly)...

I assume you didn't get past the title where it stated that this was for people that believed he did and it was justified and not that he didn't.

If he didn't aim it at the fans then it's a different matter. But given he could only have been looking at our fans when he said it, I don't see any reason why anybody could think any different, unless Steve Morgan had just walked in front of the Town fans.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:00 - Feb 19 with 3034 viewsmonytowbray

If any other business offered what we do every week, say a restaurant for example, they'd have closed down years ago.

Football is a business law unto itself.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:01 - Feb 19 with 3028 viewsFinidiCentenary

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 10:57 - Feb 19 by keighleyblue

'And there you have it M'lord'.

'Despite the CCTV and witness statements suggesting otherwise, my client states that he did not commit this murder. Therefore you must accept immediately that he is true to his word'.

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:01 - Feb 19 with 3027 viewskeighleyblue

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 10:59 - Feb 19 by FinidiCentenary

I assume you didn't get past the title where it stated that this was for people that believed he did and it was justified and not that he didn't.

If he didn't aim it at the fans then it's a different matter. But given he could only have been looking at our fans when he said it, I don't see any reason why anybody could think any different, unless Steve Morgan had just walked in front of the Town fans.

you don't think perhaps it's just because he is a human being and deep down, emotional, wanting to celebrate with / for the fans?
A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:01 - Feb 19 with 3018 viewsartsbossbeard

I think I preferred the days on here when the Jewell or Royle outers would get a copy of the press conference and dissect the meaning or the inference in a sentence then work it so it suited their argument.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Login to get fewer ads

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:02 - Feb 19 with 3014 viewsFinidiCentenary

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:01 - Feb 19 by keighleyblue

you don't think perhaps it's just because he is a human being and deep down, emotional, wanting to celebrate with / for the fans?

Shouting 'F***ing get in there' would have been celebrating with the fans.

Shouting 'F*** off' in their direction is something quite different lol.

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:04 - Feb 19 with 2988 viewsFinidiCentenary

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 10:59 - Feb 19 by keighleyblue

Also... you think hundreds of d1ckheads chanting at you that your work is sh1t, on live TV in front of millions, is acceptable and befitting of ITFC.. I don't.

Just sick of the hand-wringing and hypocrisy of posts like this.

What happens if a politician comes out and tells the public to f*** off? They are hated by plenty of people and frequently abused. They'd lose their job.

There are plenty of people in society that are unfairly abused for just doing their jobs, telling the truth or saying things people don't want to hear. They get all manner of abuse but again don't react in this way.

More specifically there are football managers up and down the country who get the same level of abuse week in and week out and do not react like this. It doesn't make the abuse right but they all act professionally.

Not sure why Mick McCarthy qualifies for special treatment.

Nobody thinks he "was right" to tell the fans to f off on 11:06 - Feb 19 with 2979 viewsDyland

I wish we had a different manager who was more forward thinking, younger, different ideas, less negative, less prosaic and pragmatic. I don't care if he tells our melt brained fans to fook off. The manager and the fans abusing each other are all equally tedious

Some fans myself included think this customer thing is being blown out of all proportion.

Answer me this:

What other business has customers who instead of voting with their feet go back again and again and again over more than a year, paying their hard earned cash, to abuse the staff at the place of business?

The answer is, it doesn't exist. Football is different to other customer rev model businesses, however you try and spin it with your fingers in your ears and hands covering your face that it isn't.

If you hate Mick so much vote with your feet and write to Evans. Don't start singing abusive songs at your own team. That's more embarrassing to the club than McCarthy being a childish twanny.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:07 - Feb 19 with 2956 viewsBlueBadger

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:01 - Feb 19 by artsbossbeard

I think I preferred the days on here when the Jewell or Royle outers would get a copy of the press conference and dissect the meaning or the inference in a sentence then work it so it suited their argument.

Frankly, I'm at the point of almost yearning for the days when whatever dim-witted utterance that came from Roy Keane's Wonderful Pressers was greeted with a fawning 'well said Roy', regardless of whatever rubbish he spouting.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Nobody thinks he "was right" to tell the fans to f off on 11:10 - Feb 19 with 2942 viewsFinidiCentenary

Nobody thinks he "was right" to tell the fans to f off on 11:06 - Feb 19 by Dyland

I wish we had a different manager who was more forward thinking, younger, different ideas, less negative, less prosaic and pragmatic. I don't care if he tells our melt brained fans to fook off. The manager and the fans abusing each other are all equally tedious

Some fans myself included think this customer thing is being blown out of all proportion.

Answer me this:

What other business has customers who instead of voting with their feet go back again and again and again over more than a year, paying their hard earned cash, to abuse the staff at the place of business?

The answer is, it doesn't exist. Football is different to other customer rev model businesses, however you try and spin it with your fingers in your ears and hands covering your face that it isn't.

If you hate Mick so much vote with your feet and write to Evans. Don't start singing abusive songs at your own team. That's more embarrassing to the club than McCarthy being a childish twanny.

I remember last summer when there were constant posts on here from long term fans who didn't renew and wrote to Evans and all received a generic, brief stock reply of 'All cancelled for you'. So this has proved to not really be an option.

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:11 - Feb 19 with 2931 viewsLamby95

Taking your examples, any sane person would be reasonably in their tone and manner if wanting to swap an incorrect item they brought or if they wanted to have their food cooked differently. If this happened the business would then refund/replace the items to the customers satisfaction. If that person started to be aggressive and abusive with swear words I'm sure the business wouldn't hesitate to kick them out and ban them. Is this what we should do we every fan that has been abusive towards MM?

Out of interest, do you believe the song about MM's football should have been sung yesterday at 0-0 in a derby match?
A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:12 - Feb 19 with 2910 viewsNo9

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 10:57 - Feb 19 by LankHenners

Equally if you went into a place of work and shouted abuse at the staff whilst they were going about their job you'd most probably get kicked out and wouldn't be allowed to return.

No matter how drawn out people want to make football/'the real world' comparisons, it just doesn't work.

"Equally if you went into a place of work and shouted abuse at the staff whilst they were going about their job you'd most probably get kicked out and wouldn't be allowed to return."
That's why they have call centres = to protect the staff from incompetent managers
Nobody thinks he "was right" to tell the fans to f off on 11:14 - Feb 19 with 2899 viewsDyland

Nobody thinks he "was right" to tell the fans to f off on 11:10 - Feb 19 by FinidiCentenary

I remember last summer when there were constant posts on here from long term fans who didn't renew and wrote to Evans and all received a generic, brief stock reply of 'All cancelled for you'. So this has proved to not really be an option.

It is the only right minded option. If a thousand more do so MEG has to take note. He loses millions if there is a critical mass not renewing STs.

I'm as likely to not renew because of the melt-like toxic atmosphere as the prosaic football. So I guess they've won in that respect.

ffs

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:14 - Feb 19 with 2894 viewsFinidiCentenary

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:11 - Feb 19 by Lamby95

Taking your examples, any sane person would be reasonably in their tone and manner if wanting to swap an incorrect item they brought or if they wanted to have their food cooked differently. If this happened the business would then refund/replace the items to the customers satisfaction. If that person started to be aggressive and abusive with swear words I'm sure the business wouldn't hesitate to kick them out and ban them. Is this what we should do we every fan that has been abusive towards MM?

Out of interest, do you believe the song about MM's football should have been sung yesterday at 0-0 in a derby match?

Of course not as covered in the OP.

There should be nothing sung against anyone connected with ITFC during or after a match at Norwich. Deal with it after, don't let those b***ards revel in it.

Especially a like for like sub which I assumed at the time was due to Iorfa being tired or injured.

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:18 - Feb 19 with 2877 viewsSuperfrans

The flaw in your argument is the difference between a customer and a fan/supporter and expectations which come with both those different roles.

A customer pays their money for a service, but is not expected to have any loyalty or commitment beyond the last product he/she has bought. In contrast, a fan/supporter is expected to show loyalty beyond the last transaction, to stick around through thick and thin.

That said, if a customer went into a coffee shop every day (or once a week), hated the coffee and kept telling the manager that his coffee was sh!t, week after week, even when the ingredients had been changed, the formula had been improved, he'd no doubt get a slap in the face.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:18 - Feb 19 with 2876 viewsFixed_It

Raw emotion. I doubt my Bank Manager or Boss get quite the same adrenalin rush. Mick probably regrets it - but I don't think you are making fair comparisons.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Nobody thinks he "was right" to tell the fans to f off on 11:18 - Feb 19 with 2872 viewsFinidiCentenary

Nobody thinks he "was right" to tell the fans to f off on 11:14 - Feb 19 by Dyland

It is the only right minded option. If a thousand more do so MEG has to take note. He loses millions if there is a critical mass not renewing STs.

I'm as likely to not renew because of the melt-like toxic atmosphere as the prosaic football. So I guess they've won in that respect.

ffs

The thing is though that 1,000 more fans at £500 a time is £500k. If Evans is putting in £6m anyway that's only an extra 8% he's got to put in. It's not exactly double his money or anything.

It's an inconvenience but it would have to be another 3,000 or 4,000 to really hurt him enough to wake up surely?

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:21 - Feb 19 with 2860 viewsFinidiCentenary

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:18 - Feb 19 by Fixed_It

Raw emotion. I doubt my Bank Manager or Boss get quite the same adrenalin rush. Mick probably regrets it - but I don't think you are making fair comparisons.

You could argue US cops that pin down unarmed people or worse still shoot them, are in extreme life or death situations, faced with fear, raw emotion, irrational thought and despite the many thousands of daily occurrences, fortunately one of them acting inappropriately is very very rare.

Same with paramedics, fire fighters and doctors. They go through extreme stress and manage not to tell people to f*** off.

A well paid football manager being called some derogatory names by a small number of people 50 yards away doesn't cut the mustard for me as to a scenario where raw emotion overtakes and like I say, every other manager seems to be able to cope.

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:29 - Feb 19 with 2841 viewstractorboy1978

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:18 - Feb 19 by Superfrans

The flaw in your argument is the difference between a customer and a fan/supporter and expectations which come with both those different roles.

A customer pays their money for a service, but is not expected to have any loyalty or commitment beyond the last product he/she has bought. In contrast, a fan/supporter is expected to show loyalty beyond the last transaction, to stick around through thick and thin.

That said, if a customer went into a coffee shop every day (or once a week), hated the coffee and kept telling the manager that his coffee was sh!t, week after week, even when the ingredients had been changed, the formula had been improved, he'd no doubt get a slap in the face.

And it is that expectation of loyalty that has made the club so slack and complacent in recent years in my opinion. The perception that fans will keep paying their money regardless of prices, entertainment value, match day experience and feeling valued. You are correct in the sense that a supporter won't suddenly go to watch another club but they will (as proven) stop going to Portman Road. Packs are apparently coming out in the next month or so and at the moment I don't really see what they are going to do to try and keep people let alone win back those that have stopped going altogether.
A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:31 - Feb 19 with 2822 viewsFinidiCentenary

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 11:29 - Feb 19 by tractorboy1978

And it is that expectation of loyalty that has made the club so slack and complacent in recent years in my opinion. The perception that fans will keep paying their money regardless of prices, entertainment value, match day experience and feeling valued. You are correct in the sense that a supporter won't suddenly go to watch another club but they will (as proven) stop going to Portman Road. Packs are apparently coming out in the next month or so and at the moment I don't really see what they are going to do to try and keep people let alone win back those that have stopped going altogether.

I'm predicting a glossy brochure with that image of Mick from yesterday and the caption 'Support the club or F*** OFF',

Wait until this time next month when we all agree the above suggestion would have actually been better than what they did come up with lol.

Nobody thinks he "was right" to tell the fans to f off on 11:42 - Feb 19 with 2789 viewsDyland

Nobody thinks he "was right" to tell the fans to f off on 11:18 - Feb 19 by FinidiCentenary

The thing is though that 1,000 more fans at £500 a time is £500k. If Evans is putting in £6m anyway that's only an extra 8% he's got to put in. It's not exactly double his money or anything.

It's an inconvenience but it would have to be another 3,000 or 4,000 to really hurt him enough to wake up surely?

I hear you. Point is there are already thousands dropping off. It could well be 3 or 4k when renewals come up.

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 12:08 - Feb 19 with 2723 viewskeighleyblue

A question for those that believe Mick was right to tell the fans to f*** off on 10:59 - Feb 19 by FinidiCentenary

Well, yes, maybe the title did get my back up..

But I really think that he just felt vindicated that his approach, his tactics, his selection might, just MIGHT, have got us a first win at scum in 10 attempts.. despite all the negativity, the lack of support, the injuries, a whole bunch of cards stacked against him in recent months after a decent start to the season... that it just all came out as a big FOOOOOK OFFFF to the world - not specifically the fans. Just my opinion from what i saw.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024