Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. 11:01 - Feb 19 with 4418 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Celina not getting a kick yesterday is absolutely unforgivable in my eyes.

Though the fans chanting ‘Mick McCarthy your Football is sh*t’ at Carrow Road ffs need to give their heads a wobble. Any other time would be better than in the away end at scum away.

But the fact Hyam, Didzy and Spence (though the latter was injury enforced to be fair) came on but Celina didn’t is absolutely mental
[Post edited 19 Feb 2018 11:01]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:02 - Feb 19 with 3563 viewsSomethingBlue

I think that's a bit much. Can see an argument for bringing him on instead of McGoldrick, with hindsight, but the other two changes stood perfectly to reason.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:04 - Feb 19 with 3535 viewsartsbossbeard

Don't tell anyone Rommers but he's not really been that good since the Leeds game.

Mum's the word *taps nose*

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:06 - Feb 19 with 3518 viewsLankHenners

Not really, bringing him on (to use him in his most effective way) would mean a change of system which, given they were in control when we were matching them, sacrificing the midfield would have been a risk unlikely to pay off. You could argue he could have come on up front instead of McG but he'd have been even more isolated than Didz was.

A fairer complaint about substitutions, for me, would be whether Ward should have come on instead of Hyam.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:07 - Feb 19 with 3508 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

But I thought we needed to be playing our own players ahead of all these loans ?
As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:07 - Feb 19 with 3516 viewsFinidiCentenary

I said something at the time, which I then heard Mick Mills later say and then saw countless other people say it and wondered what Mick McCarthy actually thought.

McGoldrick. Why!

He's been poor for weeks and was coming back from injury. We have Celina, Ward and Carayol all on the bench, all with pace.

Norwich were all over us. We were pinned back. We needed an outlet and they often left a couple of defenders only back.

If the ball was cleared the one thing you want there is pace. Even Sears had he been involved would have been a better shout. Our best chance of nicking a goal was on the break, so you bring on a player who slows down the game, has no pace and whose fitness is questionable.

Look at Knudsen in the 94th minute. You can picture Sears, Carayol, Celina or Ward being able to break away like that several times as we sat back with 5 in defence and 3 in midfield. It was so obvious that you would replace Garner with someone with pace it was unreal.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:15 - Feb 19 with 3470 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:06 - Feb 19 by LankHenners

Not really, bringing him on (to use him in his most effective way) would mean a change of system which, given they were in control when we were matching them, sacrificing the midfield would have been a risk unlikely to pay off. You could argue he could have come on up front instead of McG but he'd have been even more isolated than Didz was.

A fairer complaint about substitutions, for me, would be whether Ward should have come on instead of Hyam.

When we already had Skuse and Connolly on the pitch plus five defenders, if you’re bringing Gleeson off.. that had to be Celina on imo.

At 0-0 in a derby with 20 minutes to play. In a game mick had said was must win if we want to stay in the playoff race.

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:15 - Feb 19 with 3468 viewsGarv

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:06 - Feb 19 by LankHenners

Ward has been excellent in a three before. All 3 subs were odd, Spence more understandable.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:20 - Feb 19 with 3440 viewsLankHenners

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:15 - Feb 19 by The_Romford_Blue

When we already had Skuse and Connolly on the pitch plus five defenders, if you’re bringing Gleeson off.. that had to be Celina on imo.

At 0-0 in a derby with 20 minutes to play. In a game mick had said was must win if we want to stay in the playoff race.

Bringing a combative midfielder on for the tiring Gleeson wasn't necessarily the wrong thing to do, just that Hyam didn't really affect anything once on the pitch. Not sure Celina would have really helped in that situation, given, as others have pointed out, he's hardly in-form at the moment.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Nah, we took the lead.... on 11:20 - Feb 19 with 3446 viewsBloots

....without him and he certainly wouldn't have stopped them scoring.

Without wanting to sound like a massive "inner", which you know I'm not, then MM got it pretty much spot on tactically yesterday.

He's not really that good anyway.

Controversial.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:25 - Feb 19 with 3421 viewsartsbossbeard

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:07 - Feb 19 by FinidiCentenary

I said something at the time, which I then heard Mick Mills later say and then saw countless other people say it and wondered what Mick McCarthy actually thought.

McGoldrick. Why!

He's been poor for weeks and was coming back from injury. We have Celina, Ward and Carayol all on the bench, all with pace.

Norwich were all over us. We were pinned back. We needed an outlet and they often left a couple of defenders only back.

If the ball was cleared the one thing you want there is pace. Even Sears had he been involved would have been a better shout. Our best chance of nicking a goal was on the break, so you bring on a player who slows down the game, has no pace and whose fitness is questionable.

Look at Knudsen in the 94th minute. You can picture Sears, Carayol, Celina or Ward being able to break away like that several times as we sat back with 5 in defence and 3 in midfield. It was so obvious that you would replace Garner with someone with pace it was unreal.

They really weren't all over us, they had plenty of possession but didn't create anything of note.

Our defensive unit was doing an impeccable job of containing them. Two free kicks, which on reviewing back at home weren't as near to the top corner as I thought, and a long range effort around the post.

Bear with me on this, but I believe that Iorfa was key to our set up - Mick obviously fancied him to win his battles against their lad and force him back and the long diagonal ball from Webster is oft used in this scenario. This worked and ideally, Iorfa would've stayed on.

Didz didn't look up to it, sadly. We lost some impetus when Garner departed, although I don't really understand Hyam for Gleeson.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:29 - Feb 19 with 3390 viewsStokieBlue

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:25 - Feb 19 by artsbossbeard

They really weren't all over us, they had plenty of possession but didn't create anything of note.

Our defensive unit was doing an impeccable job of containing them. Two free kicks, which on reviewing back at home weren't as near to the top corner as I thought, and a long range effort around the post.

Bear with me on this, but I believe that Iorfa was key to our set up - Mick obviously fancied him to win his battles against their lad and force him back and the long diagonal ball from Webster is oft used in this scenario. This worked and ideally, Iorfa would've stayed on.

Didz didn't look up to it, sadly. We lost some impetus when Garner departed, although I don't really understand Hyam for Gleeson.

We were containing them but they were on top with ~80% possession.

The most disappointing thing about that part of the match was my young son saying Norwich were better mainly because we hadn't had really had a meaningful attack the entire half and he doesn't understand the concept of containing the other team. I guess that concept will come with time and more matches.

Still, he is on track to be a town fan, just need to keep him away from the local Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea kids at school.

SB
[Post edited 19 Feb 2018 11:30]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:29 - Feb 19 with 3390 viewsFinidiCentenary

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:25 - Feb 19 by artsbossbeard

They were all over us.

It took us 44 minutes to have a shot in the second half and it was only at about 86 minutes when we had the ball in their half for more than a minute.

It was constantly cleared up to Garner, Waghorn and then McGoldrick second half only to come straight back, with our midfield 3 still inside our half.

We were totally camped into our half.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:32 - Feb 19 with 3361 viewsartsbossbeard

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:29 - Feb 19 by FinidiCentenary

They were all over us.

It took us 44 minutes to have a shot in the second half and it was only at about 86 minutes when we had the ball in their half for more than a minute.

It was constantly cleared up to Garner, Waghorn and then McGoldrick second half only to come straight back, with our midfield 3 still inside our half.

Contained.

I only got worried on the2x free kicks and the shot from outside of the box was meat and drink for the best keeper in the league.

Soak up the pressure, get the ball up the field and get the big lads forward. It worked. Shame we kinda lost our way at the very end.

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:32 - Feb 19 with 3351 viewsBluebell

Unfortunately Garner was a red card waiting to happen so Didzy had to be the one to replace him alongside Waggy.

Gleeson was tiring and Hyam is more defensive than Ward and although, at that time we needed to score, it was more important to stop them scoring. We now know why Spence replaced Iorfa although I was suprised at the time.

It happened. We didn't lose.

As I always say opinions are like ar*eholes, we all have one but they are all different.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.
As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:34 - Feb 19 with 3329 viewsSWGF

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:02 - Feb 19 by SomethingBlue

I think that's a bit much. Can see an argument for bringing him on instead of McGoldrick, with hindsight, but the other two changes stood perfectly to reason.

Ball wasn't sticking up front, so assume McG was brought on to try and get a hold of it.

20/20 hindsight.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:41 - Feb 19 with 3300 viewsitfcjoe

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:34 - Feb 19 by SWGF

Ball wasn't sticking up front, so assume McG was brought on to try and get a hold of it.

20/20 hindsight.

And the goal did come from that indirectly, where he held the ball a bit longer before rolling wide to Knudsen whose cross won a corner.

it felt like in a 15-20 minute period we just didn't have the ball at all - a few clearances were the only kick we were getting

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:42 - Feb 19 with 3284 viewsSomethingBlue

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:29 - Feb 19 by FinidiCentenary

They were all over us.

It is worth mentioning yet again that they hardly created anything though. Two free-kicks and a 20-yarder from Oliveira.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

To be honest I can't even get into the tactics/which sub question on 11:47 - Feb 19 with 3258 viewsDyland

Because I can't get past -

"Though the fans chanting ‘Mick McCarthy your Football is sh*t’ at Carrow Road ffs need to give their heads a wobble. Any other time would be better than in the away end at scum away. "

This section of our fanbase are stupid melts and far more embarrassing than McCarthy shouting fook off.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:48 - Feb 19 with 3239 viewsPJH

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:32 - Feb 19 by Bluebell

Unfortunately Garner was a red card waiting to happen so Didzy had to be the one to replace him alongside Waggy.

Gleeson was tiring and Hyam is more defensive than Ward and although, at that time we needed to score, it was more important to stop them scoring. We now know why Spence replaced Iorfa although I was suprised at the time.

As I always say opinions are like ar*eholes, we all have one but they are all different.

I agree that Garner was very likely to get a second yellow so taking him off made sense although there could be some debate about who should have replaced him,McG being the logical one.

If you had been stood next to me you would have known why Iorfa was being replaced before it happened although I imagine with your good insight into what goes on on a football pitch you would have seen for yourself,probably not so obvious on TV.
As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:51 - Feb 19 with 3213 viewsDyland

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:32 - Feb 19 by Bluebell

Think he could/should have brought on Celina instead of McGoldrick.

But hey, any one of various scenarios could have happened. We drew.

Gutted we are still waiting for that fooking derby win (ridiculous). Their elation at a last minute equaliser at home will die very very soon, and the fact is the budgies with the last of their parachute payments are still below us in the table.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:54 - Feb 19 with 3191 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:15 - Feb 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Just think, if we’d have brought him on then that may have given us the impetus we needed to break the deadlock and take the lead

Oh wait

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Nah, we took the lead.... on 11:57 - Feb 19 with 3176 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Nah, we took the lead.... on 11:20 - Feb 19 by Bloots

Without wanting to sound like a massive "inner", which you know I'm not, then MM got it pretty much spot on tactically yesterday.

Controversial.

Yep this - it’s certainly not always the case but Mick certainly got more right than wrong yesterday

(Tactically at least before f*ck off-gate gets dragged up again)
[Post edited 19 Feb 2018 11:57]

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:59 - Feb 19 with 3155 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

As close as we came to the perfect execution of an away 1-0.. on 11:34 - Feb 19 by SWGF

20/20 hindsight.

Exactly how I saw it. In hindsight Celina may have been a better option, but then I think it’s quite probable he would have spent 30 minutes getting nowhere near the bal

To be honest I can't even get into the tactics/which sub question on 12:01 - Feb 19 with 3129 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

To be honest I can't even get into the tactics/which sub question on 11:47 - Feb 19 by Dyland

Because I can't get past -

"Though the fans chanting ‘Mick McCarthy your Football is sh*t’ at Carrow Road ffs need to give their heads a wobble. Any other time would be better than in the away end at scum away. "

This section of our fanbase are stupid melts and far more embarrassing than McCarthy shouting fook off.

I genuinely couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It’s 0-0 at Scum away and that was sung.

Embarrassing

Nah, we took the lead.... on 12:03 - Feb 19 with 3112 viewsGuthrum

Nah, we took the lead.... on 11:20 - Feb 19 by Bloots

Controversial.

Agree.

Altho I do think that Celina is actually pretty good, if somewhat variable at this stage in his career.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024