Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tonight ... I just don't know ... 22:55 - Feb 21 with 6448 viewsSomethingBlue

We played well tonight, especially given the tools we have available. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The intentions were positive, a good deal of the football was pretty slick too, and we deserved at least a point. There was always the risk — likelihood if we're honest — that Cardiff would bring their physique to bear and eventually if happened for them. They are the side we would probably be if Mick had another £5-10m to spend — that's us, if we were automatic promotion chasers.

Maybe it's exacerbated by only getting to a game every two months or so, but the greater feeling I have on the train back from that is sadness; actually a sadness too great to bear thinking about given the club I remember. The crowd were broadly supportive but, let's face it, totally silent. Any of that Section 6 stuff from a year or two back seems to have died out. There wasn't a single chant in 90 minutes. The faces around me in Lower North were watching, quietly, out of near-obligation if they weren't deep in conversation. Nothing especially new over the past few years, you might say, but this felt different, like a cliff-edge — it felt on the verge of things getting much worse. Is that over-dramatic? I guess we might get an idea after the season ticket renewals come out. But if we're pretty much as we are when that happens a month or so from now, then I really fear for us. It just feels like an organisation that, the honourable exception of the academy aside, needs ripping up and starting again. It's so incredibly hard to know what happens next.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 22:57 - Feb 21 with 4693 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

You’re entitled to your opinion.

You think we played well tonight. I disagree. Thought we were boring. Skuse and Ward the only players who played well I thought.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 22:58 - Feb 21 with 4661 viewsSomethingBlue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 22:57 - Feb 21 by The_Romford_Blue

You think we played well tonight. I disagree. Thought we were boring. Skuse and Ward the only players who played well I thought.

Fair enough. The second part of my post is the issue that bothers me far more though.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:00 - Feb 21 with 4633 viewspointofblue

I agree with SomethingBlue - the midfield was the most balanced I've seen it in ages and we tried pass and move to get the ball to the front rather than hoofball. We put Cardiff on the back foot and did fluster them at times, particularly in the first half. Unfortunately Celina was poor and Sears was as anonymous as ever which meant we couldn't do anything with the ball when we got it to the final third. But it was a massive step forward from the mess against Burton and it felt we were trying to evolve as a football team.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:01 - Feb 21 with 4630 viewsTrequartista

This idea that you can just add £x million to a budget and automatically extrapolate it to a promotion position is just pure conjecture.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:03 - Feb 21 with 4599 viewsSomethingBlue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:01 - Feb 21 by Trequartista

This idea that you can just add £x million to a budget and automatically extrapolate it to a promotion position is just pure conjecture.

Ok, let's see where Cardiff would be with £10m less value in their squad then — even under Warnock. It's not an exact science but I think anyone can see where I am coming from. Not really the major point of my post anyway.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:05 - Feb 21 with 4556 viewsSomethingBlue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:00 - Feb 21 by pointofblue

I agree with SomethingBlue - the midfield was the most balanced I've seen it in ages and we tried pass and move to get the ball to the front rather than hoofball. We put Cardiff on the back foot and did fluster them at times, particularly in the first half. Unfortunately Celina was poor and Sears was as anonymous as ever which meant we couldn't do anything with the ball when we got it to the final third. But it was a massive step forward from the mess against Burton and it felt we were trying to evolve as a football team.

Not a lot came off for Celina (though that late ball for Knudsen was sublime and should have been made more of) but I thought he put in one heck of a shift, especially in the second half — he must have covered every blade of grass in those closing stages trying to make things happen.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:07 - Feb 21 with 4524 viewsJakeITFC

You’ve got 13,000 in there who are desperate for the side to do well, but after 16 years even the hardened are starting to slip away.

Something has to change - the manager, I think is a given, but won’t be enough. In our position where we are hoping to go up under the radar, we need to be constantly building towards an end goal, I’m afraid that we haven’t been doing that for three years.
Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:09 - Feb 21 with 4509 viewsSWGF

There were 9,500 people through the turnstiles tonight. The streets were empty on the way to the match, plenty of space in the car parks, Fanzone sparse, no atmosphere inside the ground.

People have taken the lead of the owner and simply given up.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:10 - Feb 21 with 4472 viewsSomethingBlue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:09 - Feb 21 by SWGF

There were 9,500 people through the turnstiles tonight. The streets were empty on the way to the match, plenty of space in the car parks, Fanzone sparse, no atmosphere inside the ground.

I think you — and Jake — are right. It's desperately sad and there is no easy answer.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:12 - Feb 21 with 4424 viewsITFCBlues

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:01 - Feb 21 by Trequartista

Is it? The top 6 have all spent vast sums of money - is that a coincidence?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:16 - Feb 21 with 4399 viewsTrequartista

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:03 - Feb 21 by SomethingBlue

Ok, let's see where Cardiff would be with £10m less value in their squad then — even under Warnock. It's not an exact science but I think anyone can see where I am coming from. Not really the major point of my post anyway.

Well fair enough, even as someone who can't bear McCarthy, I can see that no new manager is going to get promoted anytime soon with the current budget.

There are only two options, either Evans puts in the required amount, or sells to someone who will. The season ticket literature says that the target is the play-offs so that's three consecutive failures as far as i'm concerned, and if you feel that is unfair with the budget given, then the owner is conning people. The current situation is untenable.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2018 23:16]

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:18 - Feb 21 with 4370 viewsTrequartista

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:12 - Feb 21 by ITFCBlues

It's not the same thing as i described. See Jim Magilton.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:21 - Feb 21 with 4319 viewsVaughan8

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:12 - Feb 21 by ITFCBlues

But so have other teams and aren't?

Didn't Birmingham spend a fair bit this season and lot ar them?

What about Reading? Didnt they buy some players for a bit of money?

It doesn't always work. 5-10million isn't that much these days. Yes if we got say 40million, it should make a difference
Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:24 - Feb 21 with 4297 viewsDarth_Koont

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:05 - Feb 21 by SomethingBlue

Not a lot came off for Celina (though that late ball for Knudsen was sublime and should have been made more of) but I thought he put in one heck of a shift, especially in the second half — he must have covered every blade of grass in those closing stages trying to make things happen.

Yes, he did well despite not really succeeding with much. Very much a performance for the team and doing the ugly stuff.

After a torrid start where he seemed to be the instigator of Cardiff's better attacks, he kept working and moving for his teammates. That movement from the front three helped us pressure the Cardiff back 4 and even resulted in some good stuff. Not only that but the front three were even getting back to pick up the scraps and break forward.

Add £10 million of quality (a combination of better final ball and more clinical finishing) and we'd have had a very comfortable win.

Pronouns: He/Him

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:25 - Feb 21 with 4296 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:16 - Feb 21 by Trequartista

Well fair enough, even as someone who can't bear McCarthy, I can see that no new manager is going to get promoted anytime soon with the current budget.

There are only two options, either Evans puts in the required amount, or sells to someone who will. The season ticket literature says that the target is the play-offs so that's three consecutive failures as far as i'm concerned, and if you feel that is unfair with the budget given, then the owner is conning people. The current situation is untenable.

What is “the required amount” bearing in mind “This idea that you can just add £x million to a budget and automatically extrapolate it to a promotion position is just pure conjecture”

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:30 - Feb 21 with 4253 viewsTractorWood

This. Losing tonight was just inevitable. I felt over committed by occasionally checking the score from my couch. As you allude to, nothing coming out of the club implies there is any strategy or interest from the owner. People are bored of not being engaged with and being mindlessly milked by ticket prices. I'll do Brentford away for beers but that's it.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:31 - Feb 21 with 4257 viewsbrogansnose

It depresses me , it really does.

The whole club - with the exception of the Academy - needs revitalising from what goes on on the pitch and what goes on off it. Its the stagnation and meaningless of the whole thing that gets me. We get given a set of fixtures from the FA and we tick them off. We go to games because that's what we do, not with any real enthusiasm. As fans we are on autopilot supporting a zombie club. This revitalisation can only come from one man and that man is Evans. Its not neccesarily about shelling out billions of pounds but something needs to happen in the same manner that happened at Huddersfield but it won't happen. I don't think that I've ever felt this low supporting Town and I feel numb , numb to what perhaps the future holds for us.

I thought the game was alright and once again I came away bemoaning the injuries to our most creative players which to me has muntered this season and Cardiff were chuff awful.
Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:32 - Feb 21 with 4231 viewsBluedanW

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:16 - Feb 21 by Trequartista

My season ticket renewals packs from Marcus Evans under magilton, Keane, Jewell and McCarthy all spoke of promotion or at least play offs. So in theory that's something like 9 failures out of 10.
Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:32 - Feb 21 with 4231 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've always thought that money helps, but it's not essential because historically Championship teams couldn't pay enough to tempt good players away from the PL and other top leagues in Europe. That seems to be changing as the financial gap widens between those with parachute payments and the rest.

It's still no guarantee though (take a look at our last 2 opponents - both blew parachute payments and struggled on big budgets).

A well argued OP. I haven't seen us live this year as I've been overseas, but from highlights and the odd TV match the atmosphere at games and interest around the club both seem flatter than a witch's t*t

Consistently good results will change things around. What I don't know is whether ME is capable of overseeing the structure that will give us that. We've gone nowhere under his ownership, and most of his manager appointments have been terrible. It might need more than just a manager change as the rot seems pretty deep.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:35 - Feb 21 with 4217 viewsSomethingBlue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:31 - Feb 21 by brogansnose

It depresses me , it really does.

The whole club - with the exception of the Academy - needs revitalising from what goes on on the pitch and what goes on off it. Its the stagnation and meaningless of the whole thing that gets me. We get given a set of fixtures from the FA and we tick them off. We go to games because that's what we do, not with any real enthusiasm. As fans we are on autopilot supporting a zombie club. This revitalisation can only come from one man and that man is Evans. Its not neccesarily about shelling out billions of pounds but something needs to happen in the same manner that happened at Huddersfield but it won't happen. I don't think that I've ever felt this low supporting Town and I feel numb , numb to what perhaps the future holds for us.

I thought the game was alright and once again I came away bemoaning the injuries to our most creative players which to me has muntered this season and Cardiff were chuff awful.

As a side note I was in Huddersfield the other week. On every street blue and white flags, blue bunting, billboards, murals in the station, posters ... there are many reasons for their recent success, Wagner/ticket prices etc, but they have really tapped into some civic pride there. The football club hits you in the face everywhere. I wouldn't have had a clue there was a game on in Ipswich today until I got within sight of the floodlights. These things matter, and they can help too. They don't cost a lot either.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:40 - Feb 21 with 4153 viewsITFCBlues

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:21 - Feb 21 by Vaughan8

But so have other teams and aren't?

Didn't Birmingham spend a fair bit this season and lot ar them?

What about Reading? Didnt they buy some players for a bit of money?

It doesn't always work. 5-10million isn't that much these days. Yes if we got say 40million, it should make a difference

Exactly - and we spend nothing. So what are we all expecting exactly?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:46 - Feb 21 with 4115 viewsBlue_Moses

Agreed, two very poor teams and one nicked it. Only marginally better than Burton.
Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:46 - Feb 21 with 4107 viewsGarv

In relative terms Ward played well tonight. He is nowhere near good enough.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:49 - Feb 21 with 4095 viewstextbackup

of the groups i'm in on wassap I think maybe 10 are ST holders, think 2 went tonight.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:53 - Feb 21 with 4060 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 22:58 - Feb 21 by SomethingBlue

Fair enough. The second part of my post is the issue that bothers me far more though.

For what it’s worth, I agree with every word of that second paragraph. I replied originally having only read the bit about tonight’s game.

I go every home game (bar one or two a year) and between 15-17 aways a year. And that apathy around the place is quite sad. Since Christmas we’ve pretty much known the scum game was the last meaningful thing for us this season.

I stood for 90 minutes tonight staring at the pitch. Very little atmosphere at all. Even on the rare occasion there was a chant, I didn’t have the willpower to join in. I was bored throughout. At least at away games the hardy 100 that tend to stand and sing make the game a little more bearable. The silence tonight made it really hit home what a sad situation we are in. Empty ground. Awful football. Apathy booming round the place. Dreadful.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024