Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tonight ... I just don't know ... 22:55 - Feb 21 with 6473 viewsSomethingBlue

We played well tonight, especially given the tools we have available. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The intentions were positive, a good deal of the football was pretty slick too, and we deserved at least a point. There was always the risk — likelihood if we're honest — that Cardiff would bring their physique to bear and eventually if happened for them. They are the side we would probably be if Mick had another £5-10m to spend — that's us, if we were automatic promotion chasers.

Maybe it's exacerbated by only getting to a game every two months or so, but the greater feeling I have on the train back from that is sadness; actually a sadness too great to bear thinking about given the club I remember. The crowd were broadly supportive but, let's face it, totally silent. Any of that Section 6 stuff from a year or two back seems to have died out. There wasn't a single chant in 90 minutes. The faces around me in Lower North were watching, quietly, out of near-obligation if they weren't deep in conversation. Nothing especially new over the past few years, you might say, but this felt different, like a cliff-edge — it felt on the verge of things getting much worse. Is that over-dramatic? I guess we might get an idea after the season ticket renewals come out. But if we're pretty much as we are when that happens a month or so from now, then I really fear for us. It just feels like an organisation that, the honourable exception of the academy aside, needs ripping up and starting again. It's so incredibly hard to know what happens next.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:55 - Feb 21 with 1707 viewsSomethingBlue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:49 - Feb 21 by textbackup

of the groups i'm in on wassap I think maybe 10 are ST holders, think 2 went tonight.

For what it's worth, same here — I'm in a group of 10 ST holders, am usually by far the least frequent attendee of the lot for work reasons, but was one of just three who bothered tonight. It's all going to fall off a cliff soon if we aren't careful.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 03:23 - Feb 22 with 1640 viewsIllinoisblue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:55 - Feb 21 by SomethingBlue

For what it's worth, same here — I'm in a group of 10 ST holders, am usually by far the least frequent attendee of the lot for work reasons, but was one of just three who bothered tonight. It's all going to fall off a cliff soon if we aren't careful.

i think we've already fallen off the cliff. It's a question of if we land on a ledge and survive a bit longer, or go crashing on to the rocks, splattered into a thousand pieces.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 05:35 - Feb 22 with 1619 viewssotd78

We did play well.

So what happens next?

MM gets new contract.
Evans invests in three new players at about two million each.

We get into play offs newt season.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 05:48 - Feb 22 with 1612 viewspowinswitch

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:01 - Feb 21 by Trequartista

This idea that you can just add £x million to a budget and automatically extrapolate it to a promotion position is just pure conjecture.

I concur. The idea that if you remove a manager who will definitely keep you in your current league, but plays utterly dull football, and replace them wit( some one else, then you will def8ntely get relegated 8s equally just pure conjecture. MM to go ASAP.
Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 06:01 - Feb 22 with 1608 viewsVaughan8

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:40 - Feb 21 by ITFCBlues

Exactly - and we spend nothing. So what are we all expecting exactly?

Sorry but your point was about spending money (i.e. and extra £10m) = playoffs. It doesnt. Now you are talking about something else.

We can't expect us to be near the top. However I still don't get the "we have to play this way to win games". I still think we could set up to be less defensive and still have the same number of points this season.

Most fans appreciate we don't have the money, but the dull football we have seen over the years is sending people away. Even in our "good" year, we bored teams to death. We just had a striker who banged in 30 goals.

The club needs a change and MM is the easiest thing to change. I know all this "careful what you wish for" stuff, but surely most people can see a change is necessary.
Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 06:59 - Feb 22 with 1579 viewsBloomBlue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:00 - Feb 21 by pointofblue

I agree with SomethingBlue - the midfield was the most balanced I've seen it in ages and we tried pass and move to get the ball to the front rather than hoofball. We put Cardiff on the back foot and did fluster them at times, particularly in the first half. Unfortunately Celina was poor and Sears was as anonymous as ever which meant we couldn't do anything with the ball when we got it to the final third. But it was a massive step forward from the mess against Burton and it felt we were trying to evolve as a football team.

But it's not about style, people who talk about style are talking cr$p. What fans really want us winning. Football is all about winning irrelevant of style if a team is winning fans are excited
Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 07:18 - Feb 22 with 1562 viewsDarth_Koont

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 06:59 - Feb 22 by BloomBlue

But it's not about style, people who talk about style are talking cr$p. What fans really want us winning. Football is all about winning irrelevant of style if a team is winning fans are excited

Agreed.

You could compare last night with the Leeds game and arguably we played just as much if not more football. Certainly we had the upper hand last night whereas when it was 11 v 11 against Leeds we weren't on top.

But if we score the single goal rather than the opposition the whole perception of the game is suddenly transformed. Add in the atmosphere from the Leeds sending off, their fans' contribution and us winning and suddenly it's a game people are raving about.

Yes, I enjoyed Leeds more than last night but let's not pretend it's about the team's performance or rather the style of it. Winning leads to atmosphere leads to enjoyment leads to optimism — if the style is there too then it's even better but it's certainly not as critical.

Pronouns: He/Him

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:09 - Feb 22 with 1520 viewsBiGDonnie

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:10 - Feb 21 by SomethingBlue

I think you — and Jake — are right. It's desperately sad and there is no easy answer.

No easy answer? Are you sure?

Sack the manager and bring someone else in. The longer this goes on the less it matters who.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:11 - Feb 22 with 1515 viewschicoazul

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:09 - Feb 21 by SWGF

There were 9,500 people through the turnstiles tonight. The streets were empty on the way to the match, plenty of space in the car parks, Fanzone sparse, no atmosphere inside the ground.

People have taken the lead of the owner and simply given up.

My thoughts exactly.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:12 - Feb 22 with 1513 viewsSomethingBlue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:09 - Feb 22 by BiGDonnie

Sack the manager and bring someone else in. The longer this goes on the less it matters who.

I actually think it matters even more.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:13 - Feb 22 with 1513 viewschicoazul

Thingers you are a good poster and I agree with you in so many ways and you illustrate in far better ways than I ever could about the atmosphere and feeling of malaise, but could one buy for instance Celina Connolly CCV Webster and Bart and have much change from £10m? Part of me thinks the problem is beyond a transfer pot.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:18 - Feb 22 with 1500 viewschicoazul

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 03:23 - Feb 22 by Illinoisblue

i think we've already fallen off the cliff. It's a question of if we land on a ledge and survive a bit longer, or go crashing on to the rocks, splattered into a thousand pieces.

The club is a zombie. Everything good about it apart from perhaps the Academy is gone.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:25 - Feb 22 with 1495 viewsSteve_M

Yes, I thought we played some decent stuff at times. Lost our way in the 15 minutes when Cardiff really turned it on but otherwise worked good opportunities, stretched the defence and then - mainly - made a mess of the final ball. Two very good blocks made by defenders in the second half and a presentable penalty claim - it could easily have been a draw (even ignoring Zohore's handball).

The wider point is the more important one. Too many remain obsessed with McCarthy's failings, both the real ones and some other perceived ones, and have convinced themselves that a change of manager makes everything ok. It won't do, not whilst ME remains so detached from the club. Yes, (up to) £6m a year is no small investment but everything about the club smacks of a club losing it's way. The lack of care and attention to the small details symptomatic of an owner who doesn't want to own a football club any more.

In ten years, the only good things under Evans have come through McCarthy's better spells as a manager. When he goes, as indeed he surely will this Summer, then what happens? It's not that no other manager can replace McCarthy, rather a question of whether the new man can hold the club just about together as he has had too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:31 - Feb 22 with 1470 viewsGarv

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 06:59 - Feb 22 by BloomBlue

Incorrect.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 09:38 - Feb 22 with 1428 viewsSomethingBlue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:25 - Feb 22 by Steve_M

Yes, I thought we played some decent stuff at times. Lost our way in the 15 minutes when Cardiff really turned it on but otherwise worked good opportunities, stretched the defence and then - mainly - made a mess of the final ball. Two very good blocks made by defenders in the second half and a presentable penalty claim - it could easily have been a draw (even ignoring Zohore's handball).

The wider point is the more important one. Too many remain obsessed with McCarthy's failings, both the real ones and some other perceived ones, and have convinced themselves that a change of manager makes everything ok. It won't do, not whilst ME remains so detached from the club. Yes, (up to) £6m a year is no small investment but everything about the club smacks of a club losing it's way. The lack of care and attention to the small details symptomatic of an owner who doesn't want to own a football club any more.

In ten years, the only good things under Evans have come through McCarthy's better spells as a manager. When he goes, as indeed he surely will this Summer, then what happens? It's not that no other manager can replace McCarthy, rather a question of whether the new man can hold the club just about together as he has had too.

It's exactly the lack of care and attention you cite that bothers me above all else. I just came away last night wondering, even as someone who'd rather see the positives, how the hell things get better under this regime.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 09:41 - Feb 22 with 1416 viewsSomethingBlue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:13 - Feb 22 by chicoazul

Thingers you are a good poster and I agree with you in so many ways and you illustrate in far better ways than I ever could about the atmosphere and feeling of malaise, but could one buy for instance Celina Connolly CCV Webster and Bart and have much change from £10m? Part of me thinks the problem is beyond a transfer pot.

It goes way beyond a transfer pot and my figure was more illustrative than anything else (and probably quite conservative). Cardiff, for all their fcuk ups in recent years, have an extra level of resource and have invested well in the past year.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 18:13 - Feb 22 with 1354 viewsTrequartista

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:25 - Feb 21 by WestStanderLaLaLa

What is “the required amount” bearing in mind “This idea that you can just add £x million to a budget and automatically extrapolate it to a promotion position is just pure conjecture”

That would be a clever answer had you not confused two totally different points. If we add say £10m to the budget we give ourselves a much better chance of going up. But at least half the division is at that level now, so it would not automatically extrapolate to a promotion position because there are not 12 promotion places available.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 18:14 - Feb 22 with 1346 viewsTrequartista

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 23:32 - Feb 21 by BluedanW

My season ticket renewals packs from Marcus Evans under magilton, Keane, Jewell and McCarthy all spoke of promotion or at least play offs. So in theory that's something like 9 failures out of 10.

Absolutely.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 18:27 - Feb 22 with 1338 viewsBackToRussia

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 18:14 - Feb 22 by Trequartista

Absolutely.

The fact that Evans doesn't find it frightening he has failed essentially 80-90% of the time he has been here is, well, frightening. Yes he talks of lessons learned but where's the concrete action to prove it?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 18:46 - Feb 22 with 1319 viewstiptreeblue

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:31 - Feb 22 by Garv

Incorrect.

agreed, as i have said before, i nearly gave my season ticket up after the play off season, because it was so boring. We decided to renew because we thought that as we had come so close that the next season he would strengthen and it would be better, but as it happened, my wife went to no games after Christmas and i went to four. we couldn`t get any enthusiasm to go so went out for a meal down our local and relaxed.
Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 19:35 - Feb 22 with 1295 viewsLeoMuff

Tonight ... I just don't know ... on 08:09 - Feb 22 by BiGDonnie

What’s a daft post, so sacking MM will solve everything ? Where have you been the last/lost decade ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024