Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Handball? 09:42 - Feb 22 with 7121 viewsSamuelowen88

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/1

Poll: England v Wales Score

Handball? on 11:21 - Feb 22 with 1131 viewsBrixtonBlue

Handball? on 11:09 - Feb 22 by Superfrans

The rule doesn't work as is, imho.

I'd change it to make whether it is accidental irrelevant. If it hits the arm (as last night, twice) its a foul.

Changing the law is one thing but you can't moan when it has been applied correctly just because you don't think the law is right.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Handball? on 11:25 - Feb 22 with 1131 viewsBrixtonBlue

Handball? on 11:18 - Feb 22 by Nazemariner

Does that include the officials?

Call me old fashioned, but if the ball ricochets off both arms, away from the defenders, and into favourable position for the attacker to tuck away, then irrelevant of intention it must be a handball.

Mustn't it?

You'd think so, but the law states otherwise. Petition for the law to be changed if you want, but you can't blame the ref for applying it correctly.

Ask yourself this - if WE'D scored that goal last night would you be saying it shouldn't have stood?

Indeed, if we'd scored it and it was disallowed for handball, would you be happy with that? I imagine the same people bemoaning the ref for allowing it would be bemoaning him for disallowing it if we'd scored it.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Handball? on 11:30 - Feb 22 with 1116 viewsLankHenners

Handball? on 11:25 - Feb 22 by BrixtonBlue

You'd think so, but the law states otherwise. Petition for the law to be changed if you want, but you can't blame the ref for applying it correctly.

Ask yourself this - if WE'D scored that goal last night would you be saying it shouldn't have stood?

Indeed, if we'd scored it and it was disallowed for handball, would you be happy with that? I imagine the same people bemoaning the ref for allowing it would be bemoaning him for disallowing it if we'd scored it.

That argument's always a bit of a dud though to be honest as every fan wants to see their team win games and at the end of the day won't care if a winning goal was a bit contentious.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Handball? on 11:32 - Feb 22 with 1105 viewsHerbivore

I'd have fully expected it to be chalked off and would have had no complaints.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Handball? on 11:32 - Feb 22 with 1111 viewsNazemariner

Is that quote from Samuel the entire rule? I'm fairly confident that it will be more comprehensive than that.

And in all honesty, if we had of scored it, and it had of been chalked off, i would've understood completely.
Handball? on 11:42 - Feb 22 with 1089 viewsITFC_Forever

For it to be handball, it has to be intentional.

Doesn't look intentional. Although they clearly benefit from it, that doesn't mean it was intentional.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Handball? on 11:47 - Feb 22 with 1075 viewsSuperfrans

Handball? on 11:21 - Feb 22 by BrixtonBlue

Changing the law is one thing but you can't moan when it has been applied correctly just because you don't think the law is right.

Not sure I've moaned. I just think we were unfortunate - on many other occasions that would be given as handball.

The reason why I would advocate a change in the law is because the way it is currently implemented simply isn't very consistent.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 11:49]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Handball? on 11:48 - Feb 22 with 1071 viewsSuperfrans

Personally, I would have expected it not to be given.

Login to get fewer ads

Handball? on 11:49 - Feb 22 with 1071 viewsNo9

WHY has their bloke doing got so much room in Towns box?
Town's 7 defensive players giving the opposition so much space???????
Handball? on 12:02 - Feb 22 with 1054 viewsPauls_Cr0wn_Jewells

Definite handball, if an Ipswich player scored a goal like that and it got disallowed then I would agree it was the correct decision.

Poll: Offer Bishop a new contract now?

Handball? on 12:08 - Feb 22 with 1040 viewsBrixtonBlue

Handball? on 11:32 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

Righto

Handball? on 12:11 - Feb 22 with 1027 viewsBrixtonBlue

Handball? on 11:32 - Feb 22 by Nazemariner

Is that quote from Samuel the entire rule? I'm fairly confident that it will be more comprehensive than that.

And in all honesty, if we had of scored it, and it had of been chalked off, i would've understood completely.

"Handling the ball involves a DELIBERATE act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm...the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)"

I dunno what else to tell you mate. Unless there's an extra bit that says "ignore the bit we said earlier" it seems pretty conclusive to me.

Handball? on 12:13 - Feb 22 with 1019 viewsBrixtonBlue

Handball? on 11:47 - Feb 22 by Superfrans

Not sure I've moaned. I just think we were unfortunate - on many other occasions that would be given as handball.

The reason why I would advocate a change in the law is because the way it is currently implemented simply isn't very consistent.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 11:49]

Yes I'd agree with that.

I'm not saying you've moaned per se, but plenty are moaning in this thread. Which is baffling when the law is quite clear that it has to be deliberate.

Handball? on 12:14 - Feb 22 with 1014 viewsBrixtonBlue

Handball? on 12:02 - Feb 22 by Pauls_Cr0wn_Jewells

Definite handball, if an Ipswich player scored a goal like that and it got disallowed then I would agree it was the correct decision.

Have you read the thread at all?

Handball? on 12:16 - Feb 22 with 1005 viewsitfcjoe

Handball? on 11:32 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

I’d have probably been a bit annoyed in beat of moment but wouldn’t be describing it as an injustice and moaning about it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Handball? on 12:26 - Feb 22 with 980 viewsPlums

Handball? on 11:08 - Feb 22 by sparks

It is extraordinary just how many people still don't actually know the laws of the game.

I suspect it's because they obtain their guidance from highly paid pundits who somehow in their 'professional' capacity don't know the laws of the game.

All the nonsense about offside really gets my goat. There are two outcomes of the decision: onside and offside. 'Close' and 'tight' are irrelevant but rarely result in praise for an excellent decision.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Handball? on 12:26 - Feb 22 with 980 viewssparks

Handball? on 12:11 - Feb 22 by BrixtonBlue

"Handling the ball involves a DELIBERATE act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm...the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)"

I dunno what else to tell you mate. Unless there's an extra bit that says "ignore the bit we said earlier" it seems pretty conclusive to me.

Quite. Always been that way and is quite simple and clear.

If you changed it as suggested, we would have players whacking the ball at defenders' torsos in the box trying to get penaltys for handball.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Handball? on 12:35 - Feb 22 with 968 viewsBrixtonBlue

Handball? on 12:26 - Feb 22 by sparks

Quite. Always been that way and is quite simple and clear.

If you changed it as suggested, we would have players whacking the ball at defenders' torsos in the box trying to get penaltys for handball.

Good point.

Handball? on 12:47 - Feb 22 with 941 viewsSuperfrans

It is extraordinary just how many people still don't actually know the laws of the game.

I suspect it's because it is so inconsistently applied.

Not everyone is as.... on 12:53 - Feb 22 with 916 viewsBloots

....100% perfect as you Bully.

You truly are always correct on everything.

You are the person that everyone should strive to emulate.

Honest.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Handball? on 12:55 - Feb 22 with 913 viewsWBBlue18

Handball? on 12:47 - Feb 22 by Superfrans

I suspect it's because it is so inconsistently applied.

There is also the other bit of the law about gaining an "unfair advantage" when the handball is accidental. That is why you see many whistles blown when the ball bounces up and hits a hand / arm which has given the attacker the advantage that cannot be allowed to continue.
The law as stated above is not the complete picture.
Handball? on 13:13 - Feb 22 with 885 viewssparks

Handball? on 12:55 - Feb 22 by WBBlue18

There is also the other bit of the law about gaining an "unfair advantage" when the handball is accidental. That is why you see many whistles blown when the ball bounces up and hits a hand / arm which has given the attacker the advantage that cannot be allowed to continue.

It is the law- its that simple.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Handball? on 13:13 - Feb 22 with 885 viewsBrixtonBlue

Handball? on 12:55 - Feb 22 by WBBlue18

If there's something missing that contradicts the law above, feel free to post it fully.

I'd be very surprised if they contradict themselves.

Handball? on 13:15 - Feb 22 with 880 viewsRadlett_blue

Handball? on 09:54 - Feb 22 by BtreeBlueBlood

definite advantage - even if it was accidental.

Free kick

The handball law says nothing about "advantage".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Handball? on 13:27 - Feb 22 with 869 viewslongtimefan

Handball? on 11:18 - Feb 22 by BrixtonBlue

Indeed. Even when they're posted in this very thread.

The trouble is that the law rarely gets implemented as it is written. We've all seen handballs given that were clearly not deliberate. I suspect at least 8 out of 10 refs with a clear view of that incident last night would have given a free kick.

I also thought there was a foul on Carter-Vickers in the lead up for good measure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024