Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? 14:45 - Feb 22 with 4863 viewsReuser_is_God

And you couldn’t wait to go there & watch us play?

TWTD

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 22:51 - Feb 22 with 995 viewsnoggin

Norwich crowds are now double ours. Yipee!

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 22:53 - Feb 22 with 994 viewsRadlett_blue

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 22:48 - Feb 22 by unstableblue

I got back from living abroad as the Burley project built unstoppable momentum... 2 seasons of week in week out progress in systems, energy and confidence.

Always the sum of the parts of the players, apart from perhaps Dyer and Stewart..... even when we lost Dyer the project was so clear and bought into that it didn't matter. Players hung off and were fitted into an exciting and defined footballing system.

There was an interchangeable group of about 15 of us who would go. Mates from far and wide came along, and the reputation of Ipswich was building goodwill all the time.

Portman Road was a party atmosphere, North Stand was rammed. And even when we got knocked back in yet another play-off exit, we all regrouped and came back for more,

It was all because the entertainment was great and everyone was pulling in the same direction - fans, players, coaching, senior leadership.

That wonderful vibe took us through into a European tour and a glorious drive to the top of the championship.

I often feel that fans who somehow justify the dire fare of the last 2-3 seasons, this terrible defend first at home ethos, could not have been going to PR during this time.

In the early Burley years, home crowds were typically only 10-12,000 & we are nearly back to those days.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 22:59 - Feb 22 with 975 viewstextbackup

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 22:48 - Feb 22 by unstableblue

I got back from living abroad as the Burley project built unstoppable momentum... 2 seasons of week in week out progress in systems, energy and confidence.

Always the sum of the parts of the players, apart from perhaps Dyer and Stewart..... even when we lost Dyer the project was so clear and bought into that it didn't matter. Players hung off and were fitted into an exciting and defined footballing system.

There was an interchangeable group of about 15 of us who would go. Mates from far and wide came along, and the reputation of Ipswich was building goodwill all the time.

Portman Road was a party atmosphere, North Stand was rammed. And even when we got knocked back in yet another play-off exit, we all regrouped and came back for more,

It was all because the entertainment was great and everyone was pulling in the same direction - fans, players, coaching, senior leadership.

That wonderful vibe took us through into a European tour and a glorious drive to the top of the championship.

I often feel that fans who somehow justify the dire fare of the last 2-3 seasons, this terrible defend first at home ethos, could not have been going to PR during this time.

fcking hell this is so spot on it hurts.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 04:37 - Feb 23 with 902 viewsBenters2

Bloody fantastic stuff.
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 06:28 - Feb 23 with 881 viewsBeckets

Absolutely spot on. Exciting and defined footballing system. Everyone was pulling in the same direction - fans, players, coaching and senior leadership. Oh for those days again as opposed to the current dysfunction.
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 06:44 - Feb 23 with 873 viewsBenters2

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 06:28 - Feb 23 by Beckets

Absolutely spot on. Exciting and defined footballing system. Everyone was pulling in the same direction - fans, players, coaching and senior leadership. Oh for those days again as opposed to the current dysfunction.

This!
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 06:45 - Feb 23 with 870 viewstextbackup

had to nick this as my signature. too good to not read every day

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 07:19 - Feb 23 with 855 viewsartsbossbeard

*Searches for Simon Bates - Our Tune music on Spotify*

Benters, this is the blue tint stuff you talk of. I admire the words, I admire the sentiment, I was there and I enjoyed the times. They were fantastic BUT they came at a cost.

Our very own mis-helsmanship on our outgoings coupled with the unforeseen ITV Digital collapse and relegation sees us where we are now. Bobbing around slap bang in the middle of division 2.

But because I went through the joys and jubilation, because I've enjoyed the ups, I'm more than prepared and ready to handle the current meh-ness.

Bail out of you want, it's your call but it's not for me.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Login to get fewer ads

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:00 - Feb 23 with 819 viewsHerbivore

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 07:19 - Feb 23 by artsbossbeard

Benters, this is the blue tint stuff you talk of. I admire the words, I admire the sentiment, I was there and I enjoyed the times. They were fantastic BUT they came at a cost.

Our very own mis-helsmanship on our outgoings coupled with the unforeseen ITV Digital collapse and relegation sees us where we are now. Bobbing around slap bang in the middle of division 2.

But because I went through the joys and jubilation, because I've enjoyed the ups, I'm more than prepared and ready to handle the current meh-ness.

Agree with this. It also ignores the fact that PR only held 22k and was very, very rarely sold out. Average attendances were around what they are now. Sure there was more atmosphere though, I agree with that. And the football was on another level. However, it was a very different league at this level back then, no massive parachute payments, there weren't numerous sides throwing silly money at it to get promoted. The game has changed. And as you say, as great as the Burley days were at the time you can trace our current struggles directly back to that regime. This is the stuff of the blue tints as Benters calls them, those of us who appreciate the reality of our situation are anything but. Still, you've got to suffer the lows to appreciate the highs and when the good times come back it'll be all the sweeter.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:16 - Feb 23 with 794 viewsBenters2

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:00 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

Agree with this. It also ignores the fact that PR only held 22k and was very, very rarely sold out. Average attendances were around what they are now. Sure there was more atmosphere though, I agree with that. And the football was on another level. However, it was a very different league at this level back then, no massive parachute payments, there weren't numerous sides throwing silly money at it to get promoted. The game has changed. And as you say, as great as the Burley days were at the time you can trace our current struggles directly back to that regime. This is the stuff of the blue tints as Benters calls them, those of us who appreciate the reality of our situation are anything but. Still, you've got to suffer the lows to appreciate the highs and when the good times come back it'll be all the sweeter.

Thanks for the mention.

You do realise the idea of this league is to move on up and get out of it right?

Although some on here reckon its a achievment being in it for 16 years! (Guthy seems really pleased with that stat)

The good times as you call them may never come back to us.

But this is a big but,you dont have to go do you?

If you like what you see and enjoy going,go.

If you dont like what you see and hate it dont go.

End of.
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:23 - Feb 23 with 784 viewsHerbivore

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:16 - Feb 23 by Benters2

Thanks for the mention.

You do realise the idea of this league is to move on up and get out of it right?

Although some on here reckon its a achievment being in it for 16 years! (Guthy seems really pleased with that stat)

The good times as you call them may never come back to us.

But this is a big but,you dont have to go do you?

If you like what you see and enjoy going,go.

If you dont like what you see and hate it dont go.

End of.

I agree, I j just wish the stay away fans weren't so superior and preachy. If you don't want to go then just don't go.

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:25 - Feb 23 with 780 viewsReuser_is_God

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:00 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

Our current demise isn’t down to the Burley/Sheepshanks failings.

You can’t keep going back that far.

Our current demise is due to us fcuking it up in the early Evans era when when were one of the topnsownders in the division & we had the financial clout. Unfortunately we had 2 horrendous managers.

Evans out

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:27 - Feb 23 with 776 viewsVaughan8

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:23 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

I agree, I j just wish the stay away fans weren't so superior and preachy. If you don't want to go then just don't go.

They're not going......look at the attendances.

Its the ones who moan but still go every week which is slightly more confusing!
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:27 - Feb 23 with 777 viewsHerbivore

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:25 - Feb 23 by Reuser_is_God

Our current demise isn’t down to the Burley/Sheepshanks failings.

You can’t keep going back that far.

Our current demise is due to us fcuking it up in the early Evans era when when were one of the topnsownders in the division & we had the financial clout. Unfortunately we had 2 horrendous managers.

Of course you can trace it back, you're choosing not to because you're a blue tint.

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:31 - Feb 23 with 772 viewsReuser_is_God

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:27 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

Of course you can trace it back, you're choosing not to because you're a blue tint.

You can’t blame our current position on the fact we were relegated 16 years ago.

So much has happened since then.

This is all Evans - he’s the one who had the money to undo those mistakes & he’s wasted it.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2018 8:32]

Evans out

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:32 - Feb 23 with 770 viewsBluebell

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:27 - Feb 23 by Vaughan8

They're not going......look at the attendances.

Its the ones who moan but still go every week which is slightly more confusing!

Still go every week?

That is what supporting a footall team is all about I'm afraid.

Of course we don't like the football that is being served up at the moment (although I thought we played well against Norwich and Cardiff) but unfortunately for some of us who have been going for many, many years don't want to stop. A lot of us realise we have to take the rough with the smooth.
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:33 - Feb 23 with 767 viewsReuser_is_God

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:32 - Feb 23 by Bluebell

Still go every week?

That is what supporting a footall team is all about I'm afraid.

Of course we don't like the football that is being served up at the moment (although I thought we played well against Norwich and Cardiff) but unfortunately for some of us who have been going for many, many years don't want to stop. A lot of us realise we have to take the rough with the smooth.

So right now ITFC only have 9000 supporters?

Bollox

Evans out

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:34 - Feb 23 with 764 viewsBackToRussia

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 07:19 - Feb 23 by artsbossbeard

That was completely unrelated and avoidable though.

The fact you have to conflate the two, Burley's success and ITV digital/misspending in the PL shows that you don't really have an answer.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:36 - Feb 23 with 761 viewsBackToRussia

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:27 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

Haha, come on. Evans bought the club with a virtual clean slate. That's why he was so interested in us.

Evans has done a very very poor job of running a football club, whichever way you cut it.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:39 - Feb 23 with 754 viewsHerbivore

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:36 - Feb 23 by BackToRussia

Haha, come on. Evans bought the club with a virtual clean slate. That's why he was so interested in us.

Evans has done a very very poor job of running a football club, whichever way you cut it.

No doubt but he was needed because of Sheepshanks' failings. There was plenty of ill will towards Sheepy in his last few years here too but all seems to have been forgotten and forgiven now.

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:43 - Feb 23 with 750 viewsBluefish

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:02 - Feb 22 by BrianTablet

Cheers.
Would you say a Season Ticket is value for money in terms of entertainment?

Absolutely nothing on football is value for money, tickets, kits, food, programmes etc. Even watching it on tv is not. Football is not about value for money or being entertained every week. Football is about loyalty with your team, sinking to lows to make the highs even better, desperate hope that it will be your year when all the evidence says no chance. Misplaced pride in your club when they always let you now. Football is bigger than any entertainment factor or success or value for money.

I am getting more and more concerned reading the volume of posts demanding value and entertainment or wanting to know who is in charge etc. Before committing to support for another season. That is not how this should work.

It seems football on tv took the game to more and more people but it didn't quite bring the loyalty and instead it was replaced by expectation. Does it matter if the crowd is half the size if they are true supporters? Ones that can actually get the players names correct, ones that might understand the positions of the players and possibly even remember a bit about our history.

Please do not report this post as abuse*
[Post edited 23 Feb 2018 9:02]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:46 - Feb 23 with 749 viewsOxford_Blue

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:31 - Feb 23 by Reuser_is_God

You can’t blame our current position on the fact we were relegated 16 years ago.

This is all Evans - he’s the one who had the money to undo those mistakes & he’s wasted it.

That’s an oversimplification and a black and white analysis.

Evans supported three managers with money for wages and transfers. He did exactly what the fans expected and what they want him to do now. It was Magilton, Keane and PJ who wasted the money.

The club was almost relegated.

MM has had far fewer resources and has done better than any of those managers in terms of league position. If you get rid of MM, there is no magic solution.
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 09:05 - Feb 23 with 727 viewsSteve_M

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 08:31 - Feb 23 by Reuser_is_God

It's not the relegation so much as the subsequent administration. When ME bought the club we were in severe danger of going back into administration. The roots of our current situation do go back to the Summer of 2001, the decision to build a second new stand and the signings made.

Evans initial spending should have given us the opportunity to rise above that but, as we all know, that money was spent very poorly. And since Evans doesn't have an idea as to how to raise the club above our relative spending - he's completely reliant on a manager over-performing.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 09:09 - Feb 23 with 722 viewshype313

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 09:05 - Feb 23 by Steve_M

It's not the relegation so much as the subsequent administration. When ME bought the club we were in severe danger of going back into administration. The roots of our current situation do go back to the Summer of 2001, the decision to build a second new stand and the signings made.

Evans initial spending should have given us the opportunity to rise above that but, as we all know, that money was spent very poorly. And since Evans doesn't have an idea as to how to raise the club above our relative spending - he's completely reliant on a manager over-performing.

I actually think the build of the two stands is the major reason why we are we are are now, the knock on effect building those has been hugely detrimental to us.

I understood the emotion behind it but gambling that amount of money off the back of one good season in the PL was misguided at best.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 09:14 - Feb 23 with 715 viewsHerbivore

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 09:09 - Feb 23 by hype313

I actually think the build of the two stands is the major reason why we are we are are now, the knock on effect building those has been hugely detrimental to us.

I understood the emotion behind it but gambling that amount of money off the back of one good season in the PL was misguided at best.

They should have left the North Stand redevelopment for at least another year or two. They assumed that a 5th place finish automatically made us an established Prem side and that we'd be able to pay for it. It was a gamble that backfired spectacularly. We also got relegated at the worst possible time, parachute payments barely existed back then and the collapse of ITV Digital left us with pitiful TV revenue. However, we shouldn't have left ourselves in such a vulnerable position in the first place.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024