Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? 14:45 - Feb 22 with 4864 viewsReuser_is_God

And you couldn’t wait to go there & watch us play?

TWTD

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 14:48 - Feb 22 with 3279 viewsPinewoodblue

That tingling feeling as you walk towards the ground in anticipation of the entertainment that lay ahead. TWTD

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 14:50 - Feb 22 with 3272 viewsitfcjoe

As sad as it is, there's still nowhere I'd rather be if the Town are in action.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 14:54 - Feb 22 with 3242 viewsNo9

I do remember going to PR wondering how many Town would win by rather than can Town win.
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 15:00 - Feb 22 with 3218 viewstextbackup

Is spend days before looking at the table, the other teams stats etc.
Lastnight I didn’t even bother going with my ticket I’ve paid for. I’ve also cancelled AL at work so I could attend a few more.
Really feels like a part of me has died, as OTT as that sounds

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 15:04 - Feb 22 with 3193 viewsKieran_Knows

Wish I still felt like that.

At times this season I've felt I've had to force myself to go. Meh.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 15:06 - Feb 22 with 3192 viewsSteve_M

The only thing I will say is that I felt really negative about the club during Jewell's time here - the week of the Southampton and Peterborough debacles was particularly bad - and we looked a club in decline.

It took less than I expected to turn that round and the home games in 2014-15 were collectively the best for a decade. To listen to some people now those matches - and the positive atmosphere - never happened but it definitely did.

Yes, football is moving further away from us and ME is apparently without any sensible plan to improve things but on-field success can certainly improve things. It may not be fashionable to say so at the moment but there have been some very enjoyable matches at PR this season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 15:07 - Feb 22 with 3173 viewsfabian_illness

I still look forward to match days, absolutely love the place.

Although I did leave at half time last night due to having contracted the plague.
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 15:41 - Feb 22 with 3088 viewsBrianTablet

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 15:06 - Feb 22 by Steve_M

The only thing I will say is that I felt really negative about the club during Jewell's time here - the week of the Southampton and Peterborough debacles was particularly bad - and we looked a club in decline.

It took less than I expected to turn that round and the home games in 2014-15 were collectively the best for a decade. To listen to some people now those matches - and the positive atmosphere - never happened but it definitely did.

Yes, football is moving further away from us and ME is apparently without any sensible plan to improve things but on-field success can certainly improve things. It may not be fashionable to say so at the moment but there have been some very enjoyable matches at PR this season.

Which ones Steve?
Genuine question, as I've only had the misfortune to see three* (I live a long way from FPR). I saw Brum, QPR & Burton. Minimal entertainment (but of course good points against 'very good teams').

*Edit, Four oops almost forgot the 0-2 to Fulham as well. (Worth the match just to see Sessegnon)

AUGUST
Sat Aug 5 Birmingham City H
Sat Aug 19 Brentford H
Sat Aug 26 Fulham H

SEPTEMBER
Sat Sep 16 Bolton Wanderers H
Tue Sep 26 Sunderland H
Sat Sep 30 Bristol City H

OCTOBER
Sat Oct 21 Norwich City H

NOVEMBER
Sat Nov 4 Preston North End H
Tue Nov 21 Sheffield Wednesday H

DECEMBER
Sat Dec 2 Nottingham Forest H
Sat Dec 16 Reading H
Tue Dec 26 Queens Park Rangers H
Sat Dec 30 Derby County H

JANUARY
Sat Jan 13 Leeds United H
Sat Jan 27 Wolverhampton Wanderers H

FEBRUARY
Sat Feb 10 Burton Albion H
Tue Feb 20 Cardiff City H
[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 15:43]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Login to get fewer ads

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 15:57 - Feb 22 with 3036 viewsSteve_M

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 15:41 - Feb 22 by BrianTablet

Which ones Steve?
Genuine question, as I've only had the misfortune to see three* (I live a long way from FPR). I saw Brum, QPR & Burton. Minimal entertainment (but of course good points against 'very good teams').

*Edit, Four oops almost forgot the 0-2 to Fulham as well. (Worth the match just to see Sessegnon)

AUGUST
Sat Aug 5 Birmingham City H
Sat Aug 19 Brentford H
Sat Aug 26 Fulham H

SEPTEMBER
Sat Sep 16 Bolton Wanderers H
Tue Sep 26 Sunderland H
Sat Sep 30 Bristol City H

OCTOBER
Sat Oct 21 Norwich City H

NOVEMBER
Sat Nov 4 Preston North End H
Tue Nov 21 Sheffield Wednesday H

DECEMBER
Sat Dec 2 Nottingham Forest H
Sat Dec 16 Reading H
Tue Dec 26 Queens Park Rangers H
Sat Dec 30 Derby County H

JANUARY
Sat Jan 13 Leeds United H
Sat Jan 27 Wolverhampton Wanderers H

FEBRUARY
Sat Feb 10 Burton Albion H
Tue Feb 20 Cardiff City H
[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 15:43]

You definitely got the worst two performances amongst those four then. All of the defeats were better to watch than QPR and Burton.

Sunderland, SWFC and Forest were very good overall performances IMO. Birmingham, Brentford, Preston Leeds and Reading were decent enough, some very good bits and some less so (although the first half against Preston was poor).

The bigger on-pitch concern is the trend is negative, not helped by the apparent decision to write off the season in December.

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:02 - Feb 22 with 3016 viewsBrianTablet

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 15:57 - Feb 22 by Steve_M

You definitely got the worst two performances amongst those four then. All of the defeats were better to watch than QPR and Burton.

Sunderland, SWFC and Forest were very good overall performances IMO. Birmingham, Brentford, Preston Leeds and Reading were decent enough, some very good bits and some less so (although the first half against Preston was poor).

The bigger on-pitch concern is the trend is negative, not helped by the apparent decision to write off the season in December.

Cheers.
Would you say a Season Ticket is value for money in terms of entertainment?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:08 - Feb 22 with 3005 viewsbenno1uk

Post of the day. It used to make you feel like a kid at Christmas. Now it makes you feel like and old person at a funeral.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 16:08]
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:30 - Feb 22 with 2940 viewsPJH

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 14:50 - Feb 22 by itfcjoe

As sad as it is, there's still nowhere I'd rather be if the Town are in action.

Even when we play away?
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:39 - Feb 22 with 2922 viewsSteve_M

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:02 - Feb 22 by BrianTablet

Cheers.
Would you say a Season Ticket is value for money in terms of entertainment?

I certainly would have done in December, it feels less so at the moment but just about over the season. That said, the £400 or whatever cost is less a burden than the travel from London, that gets harder these days.

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:50 - Feb 22 with 2883 viewsHerbivore

I still enjoy going. I know that's not very fashionable these days but I enjoy being at Portman Road on a match day.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:51 - Feb 22 with 2881 viewsmos

Sadly, no.

I’ve only ever seen Ipswich in the championship... I’ve probably been a ST holder with my dad since I was 8/9, I’m now only 15.

Only seen the doom and gloom of Roy Keane, Paul Jewell and Mick McCarthy. My best moment being a town fan was our playoff season under Mick. Which is kinda sad, as some people on here have witnessed us win European Cups.

Still enjoy watching Town however.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:57 - Feb 22 with 2862 viewsHerbivore

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:51 - Feb 22 by mos

Sadly, no.

I’ve only ever seen Ipswich in the championship... I’ve probably been a ST holder with my dad since I was 8/9, I’m now only 15.

Only seen the doom and gloom of Roy Keane, Paul Jewell and Mick McCarthy. My best moment being a town fan was our playoff season under Mick. Which is kinda sad, as some people on here have witnessed us win European Cups.

You have my sympathies, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 17:44 - Feb 22 with 2808 viewschicoazul

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 16:51 - Feb 22 by mos

Sadly, no.

This post has filled me with a great sense of melancholy.

You have to understand, it used to be so good. Your dad probably saw the great Burley and Royle teams, I wouldn't call the Magilton team great but it had its moments, and if he is old enough maybe the great Lyall one too. I saw them all. More or less every season we were involved in going up, going down. It was exciting. And we saw some great players, legends like Dyer and Wark and real good players like Holland Bramble Dozzell Kuqi Pablo.

I truly truly hope you and your mates will have times to come like me and mine had in the past.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 17:59 - Feb 22 with 2772 viewsFreddies_Ears

Still love it.

TASTD*

* These are still the days
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 18:28 - Feb 22 with 2742 viewsdelias_cheesy_flaps

Yes before Marcus Evans took over it was a great day out, oh well back to normality!

Blog: This Might Rub You Up the Wrong Way, it Might Not!

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 18:31 - Feb 22 with 2738 viewsKeno

getting there at mid-day to make sure you got into the North Stand in case there was a lock out for big games

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 19:11 - Feb 22 with 2666 viewsjas0999

Yes. Couldn’t care less if I go again nowadays. Sad. Shame.
Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 22:07 - Feb 22 with 2526 viewsmos

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 17:44 - Feb 22 by chicoazul

This post has filled me with a great sense of melancholy.

You have to understand, it used to be so good. Your dad probably saw the great Burley and Royle teams, I wouldn't call the Magilton team great but it had its moments, and if he is old enough maybe the great Lyall one too. I saw them all. More or less every season we were involved in going up, going down. It was exciting. And we saw some great players, legends like Dyer and Wark and real good players like Holland Bramble Dozzell Kuqi Pablo.

I truly truly hope you and your mates will have times to come like me and mine had in the past.

Cheers, yeah I’ve seen videos of previous town teams, dad has told me stories of what it used to be like and obviously we have a couple of trophies to prove that.

Even if we went down to League One, I’m staying here, as a town fan. And one day we will end up winning something, just got to wait for that day.

It is rather sad at the moment, though.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 22:38 - Feb 22 with 2478 viewsRadlett_blue

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 18:31 - Feb 22 by Keno

getting there at mid-day to make sure you got into the North Stand in case there was a lock out for big games

I was locked out of the Arsenal home game on Easter Saturday in 1981. We surprisingly lost 2-0 & then lost to the Budgies on Easter Monday, thereby torpedoing our title chances.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 22:48 - Feb 22 with 2470 viewsunstableblue

I got back from living abroad as the Burley project built unstoppable momentum... 2 seasons of week in week out progress in systems, energy and confidence.

Always the sum of the parts of the players, apart from perhaps Dyer and Stewart..... even when we lost Dyer the project was so clear and bought into that it didn't matter. Players hung off and were fitted into an exciting and defined footballing system.

There was an interchangeable group of about 15 of us who would go. Mates from far and wide came along, and the reputation of Ipswich was building goodwill all the time.

Portman Road was a party atmosphere, North Stand was rammed. And even when we got knocked back in yet another play-off exit, we all regrouped and came back for more,

It was all because the entertainment was great and everyone was pulling in the same direction - fans, players, coaching, senior leadership.

That wonderful vibe took us through into a European tour and a glorious drive to the top of the championship.

I often feel that fans who somehow justify the dire fare of the last 2-3 seasons, this terrible defend first at home ethos, could not have been going to PR during this time.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Remember when Portman Road used to be the best place in the world? on 22:50 - Feb 22 with 2461 viewsjaykay

some of the best days were the night games were when we played in europe. when you first glimpsed the floodlights shining brightly in the night sky. you could hear the crowd starting to sing as you hurried to the ground.never a doubt you win regardless who you were playing. twtnights

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024