Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida 08:03 - Feb 23 with 3158 viewshomer_123

Yet, Trump wants to arms teachers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43164634

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 10:26 - Feb 23 with 911 viewsOxford_Blue

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 10:20 - Feb 23 by Guthrum

Schools, by their very nature, are not simple buildings, consisting of different corridors, a large number of individual (class)rooms, often with staircases and upper floors as well. It takes more than a few seconds to work out where someone is and the best way to reach them (especially if there is the added risk of ambush).

Even knowing the layout was no advantage, the attacker did also.

The officer would have been more recogniseable to the killer than vice-versa. The fact that Cruz managed to escape among fleeing students backs this up.

Four minutes is really not very long to hesitate from an unprepared, standing start, with a sudden rush of confused information to assimilate and act upon. The officer may not have been very well trained, he may not have been competent. He may have bottled it when faced with an emergency. That's what comes of being human (and why the military uses repetitive drills to drive the actions into the subconscious and make them instinctive).

That is all no doubt true. But his job was a school protection officer. I’m struggling to see why, with a gunman on the rampage, he wasn’t under a duty to at least make some effort to protect the school. That duty doesn’t change depending on the prospects of success. If it did, then the more serious a threat and more heavily armed an attacker was, the less of a duty there is on the armed protection officer to intervene. What did he think his job was when he joined and was trained and was armed to protect the school?
So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 10:30 - Feb 23 with 907 viewsGuthrum

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 10:11 - Feb 23 by TJS

In terms of prevention I would say the FBI are the main offenders here.
Why did they let him buy an assault rifle when he had already posted threats on his social media.

Does the FBI have the manpower to chase up every person spewing hatred and threats on the internet? There's a vast number of the latter, 99.99% of whom go on to kill nobody.

There's a great fear in the US about interconnectivity of information held by the authorities, far more so than over here. Systems (like law enforcement and medical records) are simply not linked or cross-accessible.

With that many holes, it's unsurprising some fall through the net.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 10:38 - Feb 23 with 896 viewsBloomBlue

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 08:54 - Feb 23 by homer_123

I'm not criticising the Deputy.

I'm merely pointing out that ludicrous thought of arming teachers. If a trained Deputy with potentially years of experience didn't challenge the gunman (for whatever reason), how are teachers going to fare?

I think Trumps idea is if the kids know the teacher's are armed they won't go to the school they will be too scared. Yes I know trump is like most americans he lives in a Hollywood world
So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 10:39 - Feb 23 with 897 viewsGuthrum

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 10:26 - Feb 23 by Oxford_Blue

That is all no doubt true. But his job was a school protection officer. I’m struggling to see why, with a gunman on the rampage, he wasn’t under a duty to at least make some effort to protect the school. That duty doesn’t change depending on the prospects of success. If it did, then the more serious a threat and more heavily armed an attacker was, the less of a duty there is on the armed protection officer to intervene. What did he think his job was when he joined and was trained and was armed to protect the school?

Probably to wander around the school showing his face, break up a few fist fights, confiscate alcohol and stop people littering. He was a community support officer, not the crack guard at a known target.

Even with everything that's happened, I don't think Americans expect to be confronted with a school shooting, that it's considered a likely occurrence. Especially eight or nine years ago when the bloke took up the post.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 13:59 - Feb 23 with 862 viewsMJallday

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 09:37 - Feb 23 by Oxford_Blue

Whether he killed 17 people isn’t the point.

The point is what the role and job of an an armed policeman is - clearly the expectation in his police force was that he should have taken action hence the reaction by them. Whether he would have succeeded or not isn’t the point either. It was his duty to do all he could to try to stop the attacker. That is part of the job. Unarmed teachers were doing that whilst he was hiding outside and never went in. You take a far too relaxed approach I’m afraid. Many policeman lay down their lives to protect others. That’s part of the job. And who knows, he could have delayed or distracted the shooter and saved lives. To say “oh well I might be in danger if I go in so I’ll take no action” is cowardly. The expectation is higher if you are a trained armed policeman than if it was me or you. If he isn’t going to use his gun in that situation, why have it at all?

i would suggest the role of an armed officer is:-
* to protect, defend (and serve) the public
* act as a deterrent

i would suggest the role of an armed officer is not to :-
* run in to a building acting like bruce willis in a skyscraper

you have to remember, officers are routinely armed in the US. that doesnt translate wall to being "fully qualified". bring it back to the UK, if you see an AR unit (we do in hereford a lot) then you know theyve been through months of rigourous (psychological) training and constant testing.

i dont think you cannot legitimately state that all US cops have that. they probably get a day or so a year to fire at some targets.

and even then, laying down his life for others - thats a pretty big ask. id suggest most police officers dont go into that profession for that reason, however sometimes its a by product. it shouldnt be expected. unless you are saying it should be?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 14:08 - Feb 23 with 859 viewsSpruceMoose

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 09:29 - Feb 23 by MJallday

You cant fight a guy with an assault rifle, with a pistol. well you can - but you'd probably lose very quickly

also, i think its extremely amiss to chastise the guy - he may not have ever been in a firefight and froze - happens to trained soldiers.

at the end of the day, he didnt kill 17 people. primarily he was there to act as a deterrant (protect and serve remember) - i think if you truely want people to hang around and go in and kill others in those circumstances - employ trained soldiers rather than cops.

No doubt a nation of armchair heroes will be lining up to throw the poor sap under the bus.

Watched some news coverage this morning here. It's all "coward" this and "coward" that.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2018 14:09]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 14:21 - Feb 23 with 849 viewsunstableblue

The last 24hrs have just been disgusting from NRA and Trump, disgusting.

This latest development debunks Trump's suggestion of getting armed people into schools and indeed now making this Deputy a scapegoat is just wrong.

As I posted yesterday:

"....the shooter had full body army, a helmet, and was shooting rapidly creating a barrage of bullets, and was mentally ill... what difference would a small concealed hand gun actually make?!"

Stop people getting AR-15's is the answer!!

The NRA chief's paranoid ramblings were some of the most shocking verbiage I can remember - he's basically saying arm yourself to the teeth because the 'liberal' government is coming to get you. MENTAL

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 14:45 - Feb 23 with 836 viewsPinewoodblue

Arming teachers has created problems in the past.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-teacher-left-gun-in-bathroom-elementary-kids-f

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 14:51 - Feb 23 with 831 viewsunstableblue

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 10:11 - Feb 23 by TJS

In terms of prevention I would say the FBI are the main offenders here.
Why did they let him buy an assault rifle when he had already posted threats on his social media.

Have you seen American social media recently?

Seriously have you seen the hate filled, aggressive bile being batted from the 2 divides of a seriously divided nation.

I am imagine the FBI have enough on their plate with the population being whipped into a frenzy of anti-government and anti-establishment discord by the NRA and Trump aligned organisations.

Rule of law will seriously tested in that nation in a decades time, I can really see it coming.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 07:31 - Feb 24 with 761 viewsBorisOrTrevor

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 10:20 - Feb 23 by Guthrum

Schools, by their very nature, are not simple buildings, consisting of different corridors, a large number of individual (class)rooms, often with staircases and upper floors as well. It takes more than a few seconds to work out where someone is and the best way to reach them (especially if there is the added risk of ambush).

Even knowing the layout was no advantage, the attacker did also.

The officer would have been more recogniseable to the killer than vice-versa. The fact that Cruz managed to escape among fleeing students backs this up.

Four minutes is really not very long to hesitate from an unprepared, standing start, with a sudden rush of confused information to assimilate and act upon. The officer may not have been very well trained, he may not have been competent. He may have bottled it when faced with an emergency. That's what comes of being human (and why the military uses repetitive drills to drive the actions into the subconscious and make them instinctive).

When you are writing these paragraphs do you ever think to yourself, jeez I have a tendency to patronise and state the blooming obvious?! You are even describing to us a school now.

BOT

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 07:35 - Feb 24 with 758 viewsBorisOrTrevor

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 08:51 - Feb 23 by giant_stow

That's going to be a terrible thing to try and live with - got to be a top-himself risk - hope he gets care. We all would like to think we'd be a hero, but I wonder how many would have gone in there?

Statements like this boggle the mind. Perhaps he should have logged on, complained about safe place violation and then posted a lengthy paragraph lamenting his own mental frailty.

Nope, nope nope. He should have done his job and had a go at protecting the children, bloody coward.

BOT

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 08:34 - Feb 24 with 738 viewsartsbossbeard

So, an armed (trained) Deputy didn't confront the gunman in Florida on 07:35 - Feb 24 by BorisOrTrevor

Statements like this boggle the mind. Perhaps he should have logged on, complained about safe place violation and then posted a lengthy paragraph lamenting his own mental frailty.

Nope, nope nope. He should have done his job and had a go at protecting the children, bloody coward.

Boils my piss, this.

Even Trump* has branded him a coward publicly. Are Americans now worried about his mental state rather than the potential arsenal of guns he might have in his garage as I'm sure he'd have passed all relevant checks?

He's basically been hung out to dry for entering a gun fight with a knife (bad analogy, I admit).

I was reading up on the Boston bombings story recently and when the younger brother was cornered but hiding in a boat on someone's drive, the cops who found him wanted radio silence to surround him as they had no idea if he had more explosive devices or not and didn't want him to blow himself and others up. Turns out the other authorities were on different radio frequencies and turned up with sirens blaring.

Is there any chance that this officer was in the same boat (good analogy) and had no clue if he was acting alone OR if he'd walk around a corner to be taken out by friendly fire?

*war avoiding coward, Trump.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2018 8:43]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024