Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What would happen if Mick was given another year..... 09:58 - Feb 23 with 3008 viewsBloots

.....to see what he could do with a relatively injury free squad, and #evansout slashed season ticket prices?

I'm talking about knocking a decent wedge off them, a couple of hundred quid or even halving them.

Would that be a plan?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 10:00 - Feb 23 with 2372 viewsITFC_Forever

There is no way on this earth he will slash ST prices.

And we always seem to be injury-ravaged.....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 10:02 - Feb 23 with 2378 viewsSWGF

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 10:00 - Feb 23 by ITFC_Forever

There's talk of a 10% discount....don't spend it all at once.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 10:10 - Feb 23 with 2337 viewsbluefunk

I’d be more than happy to give Mick another contract, he deserves a fully fit squad to see how that would go.

As a point of interest, I if he (Evans) has to put in more money, and assuming he will, where would you rather he put it a) into the playing squad or b) into appeasing supporters

If the former then he at least stands a chance of getting better quality players, a winning team and maybe even more entertainment. Then crowds come back because we’re winning.

Those who have made up their mind about MM won’t return because we get a new manager, they’ll wait for results to improve, so there seems to me little point in discounting
What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 10:17 - Feb 23 with 2325 viewsFinidiCentenary

We are relying on players like Huws and Adeyemi coming back and being fully fit next season.

In the same way we've been waiting for McGoldrick to have a full season for 5 years.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:17 - Feb 23 with 2325 viewsBloots

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 10:10 - Feb 23 by bluefunk

I’d be more than happy to give Mick another contract, he deserves a fully fit squad to see how that would go.

As a point of interest, I if he (Evans) has to put in more money, and assuming he will, where would you rather he put it a) into the playing squad or b) into appeasing supporters

If the former then he at least stands a chance of getting better quality players, a winning team and maybe even more entertainment. Then crowds come back because we’re winning.

Those who have made up their mind about MM won’t return because we get a new manager, they’ll wait for results to improve, so there seems to me little point in discounting

....the reason we play dull, crap football is because the players that MM has at his disposal, partially due to injuries, but mainly due to finances, are only capable of getting results by playing that way.

Additional finance should help that.

It's not complicated, if you pay more you get players capable of playing decent stuff more consistently.

I'll renew anyway, whatever happens, so I'd prefer the money to be spent on the squad.

Isn't that part of the issue though.......? on 10:20 - Feb 23 with 2312 viewsBloots

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 10:17 - Feb 23 by FinidiCentenary

We are relying on players like Huws and Adeyemi coming back and being fully fit next season.

In the same way we've been waiting for McGoldrick to have a full season for 5 years.

....we have to buy these players that have dodgy injury records because they are cheap.

Or free.

We don't have the dough to get into a bidding war for a player that anyone else would actually want.

I genuinely think that whatever way you look at it, it just comes down to finances.

#evansout.

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:22 - Feb 23 with 2305 viewsFinidiCentenary

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:17 - Feb 23 by Bloots

....the reason we play dull, crap football is because the players that MM has at his disposal, partially due to injuries, but mainly due to finances, are only capable of getting results by playing that way.

It's not complicated, if you pay more you get players capable of playing decent stuff more consistently.

I'll renew anyway, whatever happens, so I'd prefer the money to be spent on the squad.

The one bit of patience I have left with Mick is partially what you touch on.

The budget Evans gives him doesn't allow us to buy midfielders and strikers that are massively in demand by other clubs. We aren't getting the players like Whittingham or McCormack in their Cardiff days, or the likes of Hogan when he was at Brentford, Assombalonga when he was on form.

We have to try and find players other clubs don't want that we think have been overlooked. Given that creative players than make and score goals cost the most, there's only so much Mick can do. Finding Garner and Waghorn for the fees we did was great business and credit to Mick.

However, I do feel the flip side of this is that Mick will take players like that and knock the natural ability and creativity out of them by giving them a strict, disciplined, more defensive job to do.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:22 - Feb 23 with 2308 viewsitfcjoe

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:17 - Feb 23 by Bloots

If they knocked STs down 20% which is a huge decrease - you are talking about £80 a year ove 12 DD payments. That doesn’t make a difference to anyone in reality other than the club.

A small token decrease, or staying the same should be ok - that tiny increase last year was unneeded, pathetic and counter productive

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Isn't that part of the issue though.......? on 10:24 - Feb 23 with 2297 viewsFinidiCentenary

Isn't that part of the issue though.......? on 10:20 - Feb 23 by Bloots

....we have to buy these players that have dodgy injury records because they are cheap.

Or free.

We don't have the dough to get into a bidding war for a player that anyone else would actually want.

I genuinely think that whatever way you look at it, it just comes down to finances.

#evansout.

I agree in the most part, but don't think Huws or Adeyemi had that bad an injury record before did they?

But I agree, finances dictate we have to take a punt on players other teams don't have at the top of their own lists for reasons of poor recent form, injury problems and so on.

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 10:25 - Feb 23 with 2286 viewsCurrie10

What would happen =

* Sod all budget to work with
* Chance of more injuries yet again

Mick isn't the issue, Evans is.
What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 10:26 - Feb 23 with 2288 viewschicoazul

"injury free squad"

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Totally agree.... on 10:30 - Feb 23 with 2261 viewsBloots

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:22 - Feb 23 by FinidiCentenary

The budget Evans gives him doesn't allow us to buy midfielders and strikers that are massively in demand by other clubs. We aren't getting the players like Whittingham or McCormack in their Cardiff days, or the likes of Hogan when he was at Brentford, Assombalonga when he was on form.

We have to try and find players other clubs don't want that we think have been overlooked. Given that creative players than make and score goals cost the most, there's only so much Mick can do. Finding Garner and Waghorn for the fees we did was great business and credit to Mick.

However, I do feel the flip side of this is that Mick will take players like that and knock the natural ability and creativity out of them by giving them a strict, disciplined, more defensive job to do.

....but I'm not really sure what options he has.

There's no doubt that his natural style is to be conservative in his football, which leads to the mediocre crap that we see most weeks.

But most of his signings have to be one dimensional and of limited ability because of the budget.

For example, we constantly here fans saying that "he's good going forward, but crap defensively" and vice versa.

Or "He's good in the air, but can't run with the ball"

Or "He's really skillful, but he's got no pace".

There's a reason for this.......we can't afford players with more than one attribute.

God I'm depressing myself now!

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:40 - Feb 23 with 2235 viewsbluefunk

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:22 - Feb 23 by FinidiCentenary

That last bit - every manager of a successful (and unsuccessful for that matter) side does the same, Guardiola makes sure Aquero presses defenders, Barcelona do that, etc etc. For the avoidance of doubt I am not comparing Mick to Guardiola or ITFC to Barca. Today’s game demands that you defend from the front, no matter who you are, how much talent you might have. MM doesn’t set up to only defend but he does set up for when we don’t have the ball, hence in last weeks game we pressed the budgies by playing Knudsen and Iorfa high up the pitch - as soon as the ball got turned over we were then on the attack.

This (MM only sets up to defend) is one of those pearls of wisdom from the anti MM brigade, that, because of their noise and fury, has become, wrongly, a fact.
I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:47 - Feb 23 with 2217 viewsFinidiCentenary

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:40 - Feb 23 by bluefunk

That last bit - every manager of a successful (and unsuccessful for that matter) side does the same, Guardiola makes sure Aquero presses defenders, Barcelona do that, etc etc. For the avoidance of doubt I am not comparing Mick to Guardiola or ITFC to Barca. Today’s game demands that you defend from the front, no matter who you are, how much talent you might have. MM doesn’t set up to only defend but he does set up for when we don’t have the ball, hence in last weeks game we pressed the budgies by playing Knudsen and Iorfa high up the pitch - as soon as the ball got turned over we were then on the attack.

This (MM only sets up to defend) is one of those pearls of wisdom from the anti MM brigade, that, because of their noise and fury, has become, wrongly, a fact.

No. This pearl of wisdom comes from 0 shots on target against Burton at home until 85 minutes.

0 shots at home at all of any kind in several matches this season at the 70 - 75 minute mark.

2 goals at home in 7 home games.

Every manager asks their players to have defensive responsibility. Mick however does so to the point that it nullifies any creativity or attacking intent to a large degree.

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 11:19 - Feb 23 with 2177 viewsbluefunk

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:47 - Feb 23 by FinidiCentenary

No. This pearl of wisdom comes from 0 shots on target against Burton at home until 85 minutes.

0 shots at home at all of any kind in several matches this season at the 70 - 75 minute mark.

Every manager asks their players to have defensive responsibility. Mick however does so to the point that it nullifies any creativity or attacking intent to a large degree.

there was me thinking that was just how football is sometimes
I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 11:34 - Feb 23 with 2151 viewsFinidiCentenary

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 11:19 - Feb 23 by bluefunk

there was me thinking that was just how football is sometimes

That's how football is for some teams sometimes, usually the ones at the bottom.

It's how it is for us most of the time for several years running.

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 11:34 - Feb 23 with 2151 viewshomer_123

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:40 - Feb 23 by bluefunk

Largely agree with that. There are very very few teams that now carry a player.

I'm going us Le Tissier as an example.

I wonder how he would fair in todays game. An absolute gem attacking wise but wasn't interested and didn't do anything defensively.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 11:38 - Feb 23 with 2137 viewsGarv

I'm very much from the school of thought that.... on 10:47 - Feb 23 by FinidiCentenary

It's a combination of that and a lack of quality coaching.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 11:44 - Feb 23 with 2109 viewsPilgrimblue

There's no club that's injury free, it's just others manage the squad better and have good cover.
As for halving STs, you're having a laugh. I doubt ME will even rectify last year's cock-ups so dream on.
What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 11:45 - Feb 23 with 2100 viewsBenters2

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 10:00 - Feb 23 by ITFC_Forever

Well,apart form that its a yes please from him.
What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 11:45 - Feb 23 with 2101 viewsSomethingBlue

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 11:44 - Feb 23 by Pilgrimblue

There's no club that's injury free, it's just others manage the squad better and have good cover.
As for halving STs, you're having a laugh. I doubt ME will even rectify last year's cock-ups so dream on.

You might argue that we've managed it pretty well, and had pretty decent cover, overall. Otherwise our position would be much worse.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 11:47 - Feb 23 with 2097 viewsNo9

If he stays
- Town will not have a decent cup run
- more of MM's mates will come in for a season or two to bulk out their pensions
- Town will continue to look a poor outfit when their games are on TV
-The budgies will get another double
-mid table finish at best
- no saleable players left - Owners losses mount.
"Relatively injury free"..... on 11:48 - Feb 23 with 2093 viewsBloots

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 11:44 - Feb 23 by Pilgrimblue

....do you think we've had a higher than usual injury rate this season?

I do.

You silly sod. (n/t) on 11:49 - Feb 23 with 2083 viewsBloots

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 11:47 - Feb 23 by No9

If he stays
- more of MM's mates will come in for a season or two to bulk out their pensions

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 11:51 - Feb 23 with 2073 viewsBenters2

What would happen if Mick was given another year..... on 11:47 - Feb 23 by No9

If he stays

Sounds great!

Im about to phone the ticket office for a season ticket pack before they all sell out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024