Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kieron’s autobiography. 08:48 - Feb 24 with 4077 viewsSuperfrans

Finished it last night - a really excellent read. If you have nothing better to do today, grab a copy and sit in the warm and read it (or on the train / coach up to Preston). It’s the kind of book you could comfortably finish in a day.

The first quarter covers his growing up in Ipswich, the abuse he suffered at the hands of his great uncle and his spell as a player at Portman Road. Obviously, the abuse is awful to read about, but the book doesn’t dwell on it - there’s plenty on his relationship with other players, with Burley and Sheepshanks (sadly they fell out when he left), George Williams’ mature reaction to being dropped for 17yo Kieron, His disappointment at not getting promoted with us etc. It’s clear that he loves the club deeply.

On his various shenanigans at Newcastle, he makes no excuses, he recognises his immaturity, explains some of the background to the “roasting” incident, the fight with Bowyer etc and there’s lots on his “father, son” relationship with Sir Bobby etc.

Reading about his injury woes, it seems clear that he suffered from a botched operation on a broken leg and subsequent misdiagnosis by various physios/doctors etc.

I came away thinking he was a decent fella, I respected him even more than before, someone who made big mistakes in not looking after himself in his early years, but who blames no-one, wishes he could have his time again and would do things very differently.

Very good book. Highly recommended.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Kieron’s autobiography. on 08:53 - Feb 24 with 3342 viewsRadlett_blue

Thanks. I'll probably wait for it to be available on kindle for £1:99 first, though.
On the broken leg, was that the one that he suffered when playing against Watford, apparently still scoring afterwards?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Kieron’s autobiography. on 09:02 - Feb 24 with 3323 viewsSuperfrans

Kieron’s autobiography. on 08:53 - Feb 24 by Radlett_blue

Thanks. I'll probably wait for it to be available on kindle for £1:99 first, though.
On the broken leg, was that the one that he suffered when playing against Watford, apparently still scoring afterwards?

No, it was the broken leg for West Ham vs Bristol Rovers - Curbishley wanted to rest him, but he asked to play. Early on he got caught in a tackle and suffered a double fracture. But the operation to pin the leg didn’t work properly and what should have been 9 months out became 18 months.

Even before that though he was having trouble with a recurring hamstring strain. He kept following the doctors’ advice, rest and let it heal, but it kept coming back. After several months of perseverance, it turned out it wasn’t a hamstring strain at all.

Kieron’s autobiography. on 09:55 - Feb 24 with 3220 viewsitfcjoe

I started it last night, just up to end of second failed play off vs Charlton. Interesting how little he seems to think of Burley, I also find the contract side really interesting when you see people describing agents as parasites etc to be it’s obvious that they are clearly needed when you expect chief execs to negotiate with teenagers from council estates with blue collar parents.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kieron’s autobiography. on 09:58 - Feb 24 with 3218 viewsPhilTWTD

Cheers for that, have added to the end of Chris Brammer's piece for us on the launch event last night:

Dyer Launches Book at Emotional and Intimate Portman Road Event 24th Feb 2018 09:56
Former Blues midfielder and current U16s coach Kieron Dyer launched his autobiography Old Too Soon, Smart Too Late at an exclusive event at Portman Road last night and Chris Brammer was there for TWTD. 3

Kieron’s autobiography. on 10:42 - Feb 24 with 3097 viewsReuser_is_God

Cheers Frans I’ll read it very soon.

I’ve watched/read pretty much all the media stuff he’s done for his book & I highly recommend his the True Geordie podcast he’s done, absolutely brilliant.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Kieron’s autobiography. on 10:53 - Feb 24 with 3076 viewsFenboyBlue

He's on Soccer AM right now. He might've said a bit too much. I like him even more now.
Kieron’s autobiography. on 10:56 - Feb 24 with 3064 viewsReuser_is_God

Kieron’s autobiography. on 10:53 - Feb 24 by FenboyBlue

He's on Soccer AM right now. He might've said a bit too much. I like him even more now.

What did he say?

Evans out

Kieron’s autobiography. on 10:59 - Feb 24 with 3053 viewsReuser_is_God

Kieron’s autobiography. on 09:02 - Feb 24 by Superfrans

No, it was the broken leg for West Ham vs Bristol Rovers - Curbishley wanted to rest him, but he asked to play. Early on he got caught in a tackle and suffered a double fracture. But the operation to pin the leg didn’t work properly and what should have been 9 months out became 18 months.

Even before that though he was having trouble with a recurring hamstring strain. He kept following the doctors’ advice, rest and let it heal, but it kept coming back. After several months of perseverance, it turned out it wasn’t a hamstring strain at all.

I remember watching that game in an Argentinian restaurant in Mohacar, was just about to tuck into a 12oz steak...

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

Kieron’s autobiography. on 10:59 - Feb 24 with 3054 viewsArcher4721

I get the impression he craves attention.
Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:01 - Feb 24 with 3049 viewsArcher4721

Kieron’s autobiography. on 09:55 - Feb 24 by itfcjoe

I started it last night, just up to end of second failed play off vs Charlton. Interesting how little he seems to think of Burley, I also find the contract side really interesting when you see people describing agents as parasites etc to be it’s obvious that they are clearly needed when you expect chief execs to negotiate with teenagers from council estates with blue collar parents.

Are you saying people from council estates are thick Joe?
Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:08 - Feb 24 with 3039 viewsFenboyBlue

Kieron’s autobiography. on 10:56 - Feb 24 by Reuser_is_God

What did he say?

When asked about how the young players get integrated with the first team he replied something like the youngsters get their chance because the owner's tight, doesn't like to spend cash. And Jimmy Bullard added "Morning Marcus!" He's only saying what we all know anyway.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2018 11:09]
Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:10 - Feb 24 with 3015 viewsSuperfrans

Kieron’s autobiography. on 09:58 - Feb 24 by PhilTWTD

Cheers for that, have added to the end of Chris Brammer's piece for us on the launch event last night:

Dyer Launches Book at Emotional and Intimate Portman Road Event 24th Feb 2018 09:56
Former Blues midfielder and current U16s coach Kieron Dyer launched his autobiography Old Too Soon, Smart Too Late at an exclusive event at Portman Road last night and Chris Brammer was there for TWTD. 3

A couple of other things I thought were particularly illuminating - one being when he played for is at Leeds under Jewell with a grade one tear in his thigh because he was embarrassed to admit he was injured, following all the grief he got for constantly being injured. I remember him coming back but not having much impact, this is obviously why.

The other was that McCarthy tried to sign him, offered him a contract, but he had already promised to sign for Mowbray at Middlesborough. Did we know that at the time?
[Post edited 24 Feb 2018 11:22]

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:10 - Feb 24 with 3009 viewsReuser_is_God

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:08 - Feb 24 by FenboyBlue

When asked about how the young players get integrated with the first team he replied something like the youngsters get their chance because the owner's tight, doesn't like to spend cash. And Jimmy Bullard added "Morning Marcus!" He's only saying what we all know anyway.

Brilliant

Evans out

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:10 - Feb 24 with 3006 viewsNewcyBlue

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:01 - Feb 24 by Archer4721

Bit of a jump there...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:12 - Feb 24 with 2985 viewsSuperfrans

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:10 - Feb 24 by NewcyBlue

Bit of a jump there...

To be fair, Joe’s paraphrasing Kieron. He says something similar at least once, maybe twice.

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:13 - Feb 24 with 2987 viewsfooters

Kieron’s autobiography. on 10:42 - Feb 24 by Reuser_is_God

Cheers Frans I’ll read it very soon.

I’ve watched/read pretty much all the media stuff he’s done for his book & I highly recommend his the True Geordie podcast he’s done, absolutely brilliant.

Watched that yesterday, bloody good watch! Then compared it to the Shearer one they did- unsurprisingly bloke's dull as ditch water.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:16 - Feb 24 with 2968 viewsNewcyBlue

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:12 - Feb 24 by Superfrans

To be fair, Joe’s paraphrasing Kieron. He says something similar at least once, maybe twice.

Archer’s comment is a bit of a jump though.

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:18 - Feb 24 with 2960 viewschicoazul

No but you're saying some of them "crave attention".

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:24 - Feb 24 with 2938 viewsArcher4721

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:16 - Feb 24 by NewcyBlue

Archer’s comment is a bit of a jump though.

Is it? I would say any young footballer would need guidance to negotiate for them.

It really doesn't matter about their background so why mention it?
Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:30 - Feb 24 with 2908 viewsNewcyBlue

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:24 - Feb 24 by Archer4721

Is it? I would say any young footballer would need guidance to negotiate for them.

It really doesn't matter about their background so why mention it?

Having not read the book, going by what SuperFrans says Kieron actually wrote something similar in the book, I would say it is a bit of a jump to suggest Joe thinks those from council estates are a bit “thick”.

Agreed that all youngsters will need guidance, however I can see why different people from different backgrounds may need more guidance than others.

I have a lot more experience dealing with senior management in a large multinational now than I did when I was 18 and living on a council estate. Back then I would easily have been taken advantage of, now I wouldn’t.

Not sure I have explained that very well, I am a little busy loading cargo in Port Elizabeth so have had to rush the reply. Apologies.

Kieron’s autobiography. on 12:45 - Feb 24 with 2784 viewsitfcjoe

I wasn't intending for it to come across in that way, apologies if it did.

Following on from both Frans and Newcy's posts, it is more along the lines of how Dyer's experience and how I've seen it happen with other boys.

As an example from my own background, I won scholarships to 2 private schools so ended up not going to Chantry - I was intelligent then, but my parents had no idea what to do. My Mum worked nights stacking shelves at Sainsburys and my Dad was a self employed plumber. Neither had the confidence or knowledge to do anything and relied on my Auntie who had worked in London and had a better job to help and effectively do the application, any phonecalls to the schools were done by her.

Had I been a child footballer and you put me and my parents who were both blue collar workers in with a Sheepshanks, or a Derek Bowden or now with a Marcus Evans they'd have got what they were given and not dared to argue as had no idea how it worked, like Dyer.

In Dyer's example he was told there was no money for a signing on fee, and his wages were stuck at a certain level -within a couple of days he had £100k signing on fee and a few hundred quid a week more.

A lot of boys in football are from council estates, and a lot have parents in blue collar jobs, and in reality especially in the big cities are from 1 parent families - these guys need agents so they don't get taken advantage of. Generally if the parents will have a white colour job they'll have a bit more understanding, and know they need representation if they know their inabilities to negotiate.

Obviously there are clear exceptions on both sides - but this country has a big issue with young (usually black) kids from working class backgrounds earning fortunes

Kieron’s autobiography. on 12:48 - Feb 24 with 2776 viewsArcher4721

Kieron’s autobiography. on 12:45 - Feb 24 by itfcjoe

Following on from both Frans and Newcy's posts, it is more along the lines of how Dyer's experience and how I've seen it happen with other boys.

As an example from my own background, I won scholarships to 2 private schools so ended up not going to Chantry - I was intelligent then, but my parents had no idea what to do. My Mum worked nights stacking shelves at Sainsburys and my Dad was a self employed plumber. Neither had the confidence or knowledge to do anything and relied on my Auntie who had worked in London and had a better job to help and effectively do the application, any phonecalls to the schools were done by her.

Had I been a child footballer and you put me and my parents who were both blue collar workers in with a Sheepshanks, or a Derek Bowden or now with a Marcus Evans they'd have got what they were given and not dared to argue as had no idea how it worked, like Dyer.

In Dyer's example he was told there was no money for a signing on fee, and his wages were stuck at a certain level -within a couple of days he had £100k signing on fee and a few hundred quid a week more.

A lot of boys in football are from council estates, and a lot have parents in blue collar jobs, and in reality especially in the big cities are from 1 parent families - these guys need agents so they don't get taken advantage of. Generally if the parents will have a white colour job they'll have a bit more understanding, and know they need representation if they know their inabilities to negotiate.

Obviously there are clear exceptions on both sides - but this country has a big issue with young (usually black) kids from working class backgrounds earning fortunes

Ahh ok Joe.

As a side note wasn't your dad a nacton boy?
Kieron’s autobiography. on 12:50 - Feb 24 with 2768 viewsitfcjoe

Kieron’s autobiography. on 12:48 - Feb 24 by Archer4721

Ahh ok Joe.

As a side note wasn't your dad a nacton boy?

Yep, now back over that side but my Mum was a Chantry girl

Kieron’s autobiography. on 13:28 - Feb 24 with 2702 viewsRadlett_blue

Kieron’s autobiography. on 12:45 - Feb 24 by itfcjoe

Yes, these guys definitely need agents, but sadly most of them are ripped off by them, although for less than they would otherwise be ripped off by their employers..
Wouldn't be hard to regulate the industry, & the FA have tried e.g. by banning dual representation but UEFA again have no interest in this.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Kieron’s autobiography. on 13:33 - Feb 24 with 2686 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Kieron’s autobiography. on 11:08 - Feb 24 by FenboyBlue

Ha! That is magnificent

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024