Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Protein powder 19:08 - Feb 25 with 3646 viewsMcGoaaaldrick

Evening lads. I’ve been going to the gym regularly the last couple of months now just improving fitness etc. Just wondered if anyone has any advice on protein powder. Not after anything specific, just to add into my morning smoothie or is it a waste of money with little effects?

Ian Marshall.....he scores when he wants.

Protein powder on 19:11 - Feb 25 with 3625 viewsHerbivore

I usually have a protein shake after the gym and I find it helps recovery, I don't tend to have any issues with muscles aching. My Protein do a good range of different proteins and they're not too expensive.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Protein powder on 19:25 - Feb 25 with 3588 viewsbournemouthblue

Protein powder on 19:11 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

I usually have a protein shake after the gym and I find it helps recovery, I don't tend to have any issues with muscles aching. My Protein do a good range of different proteins and they're not too expensive.

It certainly reduces the achiness the following day

I'm a big fan of MyProtein myself, I just get the Natural Flavoured Whey and mix it with different things or you end up stuck with the same flavour for however many weeks or months

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Protein powder on 19:26 - Feb 25 with 3588 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

I used to have 3 protein shakes a day, one with my breakfast, one before, with a glass of creatine, and then one after a gym workout. For me personally, it helped for recovery but didn't help in the way of building muscle.

I've known people who've sworn by it and they've packed on muscle, and I've known people who've preferred to go down the natural route through maintaining a healthy diet packed with protein and good carbs. Everyone is different, some people gain muscle easily and then there's hard gainers who gain muscle mass slowly, I annoyingly fall into this bracket. It really comes down to genes and diet.

There's so much more I can write down but I don't want to overload you with information and what supplements to buy and what avoid, best foods to eat and to avoid etc.
Protein powder on 19:30 - Feb 25 with 3568 viewsReuser_is_God

I always find MyProtein stuff is good, as others have mentioned.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Protein powder on 19:34 - Feb 25 with 3562 viewsJ2BLUE

What's a typical day of eating for you? Hard to say whether just adding a protein scoop to your breakfast will do anything for you.

If you're making a smoothie why not throw in some Greek yoghurt instead?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Protein powder on 19:41 - Feb 25 with 3537 viewshampstead_blue

a pint of skimmed milk is all have ever used.

Has loads of protien and no calories......oh, and only costs 50p!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Protein powder on 19:45 - Feb 25 with 3519 viewsMcGoaaaldrick

Protein powder on 19:34 - Feb 25 by J2BLUE

What's a typical day of eating for you? Hard to say whether just adding a protein scoop to your breakfast will do anything for you.

Low fat Greek yogurt already goes in the smoothie with various fruit, granola and skimmed milk. That’s my breakfast, a roll at lunch then hot meal for tea.

Ian Marshall.....he scores when he wants.

Protein powder on 19:56 - Feb 25 with 3491 viewsmos

If you’re trying to build muscle a commonly accepted rule of thumb is 1g of protein to each lb of body weight.
: if you weighed 150lbs, then 150g of protein intake (give or take) would be a good number to build muscular mass efficiently.

Otherwise, what is your average sort of diet. If you eat chicken, other meats, lots of green vegetables and eggs regularly then you might not need as much protein from protein supplements as you think, but at the same time if you don’t consume much protein in your diet, you might want to change your intake of protein from protein supplements.

It all depends on what you want to do and your diet really... I normally just eat a protein bar after a workout, as they’re much less messy, then eat a fairly balanced diet during day-to-day life, not noting my macros at all.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Login to get fewer ads

Protein powder on 19:56 - Feb 25 with 3489 viewsMullet

All depends how you use it. It's just nutrients at the end of the day. I'd use something free like my fitness pal and track your meals for a few weeks and see how you go, using it.

I've used loads of them and the cheaper ones tend to be higher in sugars which you need to take into account, but generally speaking after a certain amount of money you'd need to be really into it and exacting to get the results.

All you're getting is convenience really, whoever suggested myprotein above is a good shout. If you find you want something a bit higher grade Reflex and ON are the better ones in my opinion. They don't tend to taste terrible or make you want to fart your guts out all day.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Protein powder on 20:04 - Feb 25 with 3463 viewsFixed_It

Protein powder on 19:34 - Feb 25 by J2BLUE

Eggs are full of protein. Although I suspect there is little left after you have 'cooked' them...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Protein powder on 20:07 - Feb 25 with 3450 viewsJ2BLUE

Protein powder on 20:04 - Feb 25 by Fixed_It

Eggs are full of protein. Although I suspect there is little left after you have 'cooked' them...

It's a psychological thing. Callis has brainwashed me to the extent that if I eat them, I don't let myself enjoy them.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2018 20:46]

Truly impaired.

Protein powder on 20:26 - Feb 25 with 3412 viewsdirtyboy

Protein powder on 19:56 - Feb 25 by mos

If you’re trying to build muscle a commonly accepted rule of thumb is 1g of protein to each lb of body weight.
: if you weighed 150lbs, then 150g of protein intake (give or take) would be a good number to build muscular mass efficiently.

Otherwise, what is your average sort of diet. If you eat chicken, other meats, lots of green vegetables and eggs regularly then you might not need as much protein from protein supplements as you think, but at the same time if you don’t consume much protein in your diet, you might want to change your intake of protein from protein supplements.

It all depends on what you want to do and your diet really... I normally just eat a protein bar after a workout, as they’re much less messy, then eat a fairly balanced diet during day-to-day life, not noting my macros at all.

On the head. You need protein to build muscle. You also need an excess of calories to grow.

Protein powders are a cheap and convenient way of getting the 1g per 1lb of body weight into your diet.

Personally I have fillet steak for breakfast as I prefer food to shakes but that’s not always convenient.

Track everything
Protein powder on 21:09 - Feb 25 with 3304 viewstcblue

Protein powder on 20:26 - Feb 25 by dirtyboy

On the head. You need protein to build muscle. You also need an excess of calories to grow.

Protein powders are a cheap and convenient way of getting the 1g per 1lb of body weight into your diet.

Personally I have fillet steak for breakfast as I prefer food to shakes but that’s not always convenient.

Track everything

1g per 1lb is universally acknowledged to be wholly unnecessary. File under GOMAD for things which somehow got traction.

I love the thought of people going to bed worried about 'only' having eaten 200g of protein. And I'm glad I don't share a toilet with them.

A crap diet can still be one where protein overwhelms carbs and fats.
Protein powder on 21:29 - Feb 25 with 3242 viewsmos

Protein powder on 20:26 - Feb 25 by dirtyboy

Track everything

I don’t track macros because I’m not overly stressed on building muscle, but yes, if you wish to take it seriously and reach goals, then tracking is necessary. But I have a rough idea of what I consume anyways...

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum

Protein powder on 21:52 - Feb 25 with 3203 viewsshoopdelang

Depends on your goal and how much you do. If you are just improving fitness you probably get enough protein from regular food to be honest. Just increase your food intake. Eggs, lean meats etc.
Protein powder on 22:24 - Feb 25 with 3165 viewsgaffer99

Recommend optimum nutrition gold standard as a good whey protein
Protein powder on 22:33 - Feb 25 with 3144 viewsJ2BLUE

Protein powder on 21:09 - Feb 25 by tcblue

1g per 1lb is universally acknowledged to be wholly unnecessary. File under GOMAD for things which somehow got traction.

I love the thought of people going to bed worried about 'only' having eaten 200g of protein. And I'm glad I don't share a toilet with them.

A crap diet can still be one where protein overwhelms carbs and fats.

Agreed, the 1g per pound thing is total BS.

Truly impaired.

Protein powder on 23:12 - Feb 25 with 3095 viewstcblue

Protein powder on 22:33 - Feb 25 by J2BLUE

However, there is still no excuse for what you did to those eggs #neverforget
Protein powder on 23:15 - Feb 25 with 3086 viewsJ2BLUE

Protein powder on 23:12 - Feb 25 by tcblue

However, there is still no excuse for what you did to those eggs #neverforget

Truly impaired.

Protein powder on 23:29 - Feb 25 with 3053 viewsmos

Protein powder on 22:33 - Feb 25 by J2BLUE

It is astounding how you say the widely accepted rule of thumb is 'total BS'.

Protein powder on 23:35 - Feb 25 with 3043 viewstcblue

Protein powder on 23:29 - Feb 25 by mos

Because it is?

Maybe take a look on Google if you want. Trust me brah, you won't lose any gainz
Protein powder on 23:50 - Feb 25 with 3022 viewsJ2BLUE

Protein powder on 23:29 - Feb 25 by mos

Widely accepted by protein powder sellers and bro science types.

Truly impaired.

Protein powder on 00:38 - Feb 26 with 2978 viewsmos

Protein powder on 23:35 - Feb 25 by tcblue

Because it is?

Maybe take a look on Google if you want. Trust me brah, you won't lose any gainz

15g of protein a day is far too small, though 1000g of protein a day is far too much.

So a reasonable amount of protein per day lies somewhere between 15 and 1000 grams, 1g of protein/lb of bw is somewhat of a guide to finding the value. Also known as a rule of thumb, it may work for some, but for others, a different number may be more optimal for them.

Regarding it as 'total BS' is unfair, as it has certainly helped me as a rough guide. In the past myself and many others would have had no idea how much protein would be somewhat optimal for gains, so that 1g/lb guide is for sure useful.

It is broscience. But it’s useful.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024