Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Extending wifi signal 08:04 - Feb 27 with 4544 viewsdusseldorf_blue

What's best?

1) Wireless to wireless range extender
2) Ethernet over powerline to wireless range extender
3) Ethernet to Wireless Access Point (WAP)

I am guessing 3, but then what kit do I need? I already have a wifi router in the lounge but want to get wifi signal in attic room
Extending wifi signal on 08:10 - Feb 27 with 4527 viewsDanTheMan

What router do you currently have? A decent router can usually resolve all these issues without having to buy a bunch of extra kit.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Extending wifi signal on 08:12 - Feb 27 with 4522 viewsBluefish

The annoying thing that I found out about powerlines is that your devices don't just seamlessly pick up the strongest signal. I have cloned the network but You still have to refresh your Wi-Fi when you move to a different part of the house

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Extending wifi signal on 08:16 - Feb 27 with 4514 viewsiTFC_Frekey

I've literally done exactly the same thing this weekend only trying to extend signal into an extension with thick exterior walls.

I had a power line adapter but for some reason was losing most of the speed at the mains in the extension. I ended up buying google wifi and it's great. It's expensive but I now put the mesh network pod at the first mains socket in the newer part of the building from there the wifi is good for mobile devices and I've now connected the power line adapter into the remote wifi pod rather than the primary and in the extended bedroom I can get a wired connection straight into my PlayStation with 50+ mbps.

Power line in theory should be good on it's own but for some reason it lost so much of the speed. If you just need to extend upwards into the attic either Power line or a mesh network like Google Wi-Fi should do the trick. Hope this helps
Extending wifi signal on 08:20 - Feb 27 with 4500 viewsBlueBadger

Place magnets on top of your router and hard drive.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Extending wifi signal on 08:27 - Feb 27 with 4491 viewshampstead_blue

Extending wifi signal on 08:16 - Feb 27 by iTFC_Frekey

I've literally done exactly the same thing this weekend only trying to extend signal into an extension with thick exterior walls.

I had a power line adapter but for some reason was losing most of the speed at the mains in the extension. I ended up buying google wifi and it's great. It's expensive but I now put the mesh network pod at the first mains socket in the newer part of the building from there the wifi is good for mobile devices and I've now connected the power line adapter into the remote wifi pod rather than the primary and in the extended bedroom I can get a wired connection straight into my PlayStation with 50+ mbps.

Power line in theory should be good on it's own but for some reason it lost so much of the speed. If you just need to extend upwards into the attic either Power line or a mesh network like Google Wi-Fi should do the trick. Hope this helps

Google wifi.

Sorry for deviation from the OP.

We have BT internet and their router. Does this mean we can bin the router and get a google router?
Is the google kit better?

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Extending wifi signal on 08:34 - Feb 27 with 4483 viewsDanTheMan

Extending wifi signal on 08:27 - Feb 27 by hampstead_blue

Google wifi.

We have BT internet and their router. Does this mean we can bin the router and get a google router?

"Does this mean we can bin the router and get a google router"

Yes, the routers ISPs usually give you are garbage, but they work just about well enough for most people. Google Wifi is top end but you can get a really good router for half the price.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2018 8:35]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Extending wifi signal on 08:38 - Feb 27 with 4471 viewsiTFC_Frekey

Extending wifi signal on 08:27 - Feb 27 by hampstead_blue

Google wifi.

Google wifi works with the existing router rather than replacing it. The first pod needs to be directly cabled to whatever you currently have. From there they then communicate wirelessly to extend the wifi range. BT also do a cheaper option called BT whole home wifi. Both are very good for extending your signal to places you previously couldn't reach
Extending wifi signal on 09:00 - Feb 27 with 4450 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Extending wifi signal on 08:38 - Feb 27 by iTFC_Frekey

Google wifi works with the existing router rather than replacing it. The first pod needs to be directly cabled to whatever you currently have. From there they then communicate wirelessly to extend the wifi range. BT also do a cheaper option called BT whole home wifi. Both are very good for extending your signal to places you previously couldn't reach

These both extend using WIfi or over LAN and then the 'pod' gives a wifi signal in the other room?
Login to get fewer ads

Extending wifi signal on 09:08 - Feb 27 with 4436 viewsiTFC_Frekey

Extending wifi signal on 09:00 - Feb 27 by dusseldorf_blue

These both extend using WIfi or over LAN and then the 'pod' gives a wifi signal in the other room?

Exactly
Extending wifi signal on 09:10 - Feb 27 with 4430 viewshampstead_blue

Extending wifi signal on 08:38 - Feb 27 by iTFC_Frekey

Thank-you. I'll look into it.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Extending wifi signal on 09:10 - Feb 27 with 4431 viewsiTFC_Frekey

Extending wifi signal on 09:08 - Feb 27 by iTFC_Frekey

Exactly

As previously mentioned there are cheaper alternatives but both BT whole home and Google wifi are mesh networking systems which is just one solution to your problem
Extending wifi signal on 09:22 - Feb 27 with 4415 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Extending wifi signal on 09:08 - Feb 27 by iTFC_Frekey

Exactly

so which via wifi or ethernet?
Extending wifi signal on 10:46 - Feb 27 with 4371 viewsiTFC_Frekey

Extending wifi signal on 09:22 - Feb 27 by dusseldorf_blue

so which via wifi or ethernet?

You could set it up either way. All the mesh devices are wifi enabled but have 1 or 2 ethernet ports also. The only restriction is that the primary device would need to be connected via Ethernet to your existing router provided by your ISP. From there you have 2 options.

1. Place the next device within wifi range of the primary device (claimed to be a 1500 sqft diameter). You can then connect wifi enabled tablets/phones etc to your secondary mesh device in previous wifi dead spots.

2. Connect the next device via ethernet cable to the primary device (limited by the length of cable you can get hold of and how you plan on keeping it out of the way if passing through multiple doorways etc). You can then connect any wifi enabled gadget to your secondary mesh device as normal.

One thing to add is that the mesh networks have apps which are needed to setup the network. I have only used Google's and it is very straight forward and allows anyone to be able to set this up with no issues.

The outcome of this I've found is that you will have 2 wifi networks in your house. For example "BTHomeHub-2552" would likely resemble your existing network name and you'll be asked to name your new network and both will remain available for use. So you only need to connect to the new network in places you can't currently reach your wifi.
Extending wifi signal on 11:31 - Feb 27 with 4333 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Extending wifi signal on 10:46 - Feb 27 by iTFC_Frekey

You could set it up either way. All the mesh devices are wifi enabled but have 1 or 2 ethernet ports also. The only restriction is that the primary device would need to be connected via Ethernet to your existing router provided by your ISP. From there you have 2 options.

1. Place the next device within wifi range of the primary device (claimed to be a 1500 sqft diameter). You can then connect wifi enabled tablets/phones etc to your secondary mesh device in previous wifi dead spots.

2. Connect the next device via ethernet cable to the primary device (limited by the length of cable you can get hold of and how you plan on keeping it out of the way if passing through multiple doorways etc). You can then connect any wifi enabled gadget to your secondary mesh device as normal.

One thing to add is that the mesh networks have apps which are needed to setup the network. I have only used Google's and it is very straight forward and allows anyone to be able to set this up with no issues.

The outcome of this I've found is that you will have 2 wifi networks in your house. For example "BTHomeHub-2552" would likely resemble your existing network name and you'll be asked to name your new network and both will remain available for use. So you only need to connect to the new network in places you can't currently reach your wifi.

I recently installed ethernet cable to all rooms in the house and they all 'go' to where my main router will be
Extending wifi signal on 11:34 - Feb 27 with 4324 viewsSuperfrans

Powerline hasn't worked for me.

I'm looking at the other options and am looking at 1. The Google Wifi system seems very highly rated. A friend has just installed two hubs and found it solved his problems.

https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi
[Post edited 27 Feb 2018 11:37]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Extending wifi signal on 11:41 - Feb 27 with 4310 viewsBasuco

For the price it has go to be worth trying one of these first? It looks a quick easy fix but never tried it myself.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Extender-External-Antennas-EX2700-100UKS/dp/B00
[Post edited 27 Feb 2018 11:41]
Extending wifi signal on 11:42 - Feb 27 with 4307 viewshype313

Buy a Draytek 2860 wireless router, pricey but well worth it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Extending wifi signal on 11:43 - Feb 27 with 4306 viewsfooters

Bought a TP-Link repeater for £15 when I moved into my new place. Router is just outside my door but the walls are incredibly thick. Easy set-up and gave me full signal rather than just the one bar I had when I first moved in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Extender-Broadband-Ethernet-TL-WA850RE/dp/B00

Edit: Only downside is a blinking blue light on the unit. Bit fussy about having a pitch black room when I'm going to bed and had to cover it up with electrical tape...
[Post edited 27 Feb 2018 11:47]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Extending wifi signal on 12:42 - Feb 27 with 4241 viewsflimflam

Extending wifi signal on 08:34 - Feb 27 by DanTheMan

"Does this mean we can bin the router and get a google router"

Yes, the routers ISPs usually give you are garbage, but they work just about well enough for most people. Google Wifi is top end but you can get a really good router for half the price.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2018 8:35]

The BT one is very good actually, that is if you have the latest model.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Extending wifi signal on 14:06 - Feb 27 with 4182 viewsThrobbe

Extending wifi signal on 11:41 - Feb 27 by Basuco

For the price it has go to be worth trying one of these first? It looks a quick easy fix but never tried it myself.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Extender-External-Antennas-EX2700-100UKS/dp/B00
[Post edited 27 Feb 2018 11:41]

Got one to give me a better signal in the garage. Can't comment on extended range, but certainly a better signal with the booster only about 4-5 metres closer.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Extending wifi signal on 15:20 - Feb 27 with 4147 viewsArnieM

slightly off track ( sorry)

Im with BT and I am a low user of Internet ,(Infinity 1 package @ 50Mgs per month) . Problme is I usually only use around 17MB per month ....( told you I was low user! )

Im looking to move from BT ( as hate the idea that I have to pay for a blooming land line rental each month and was told by BT that I cant not have a landline phone, and Im paying something like £44 monthly for Phone which I dont use and Internet. I ditched tv ages ago . its rubbish IMO ).

I was looking at 3's "Home Hub" , which allows you 40Mgs per month for something like £20 from memory ..but not sure about the speed in comparison to BT ...but I wouldnt have to have a land line. Which beggers the question why do BT insist that I must have one : = a big Con !

The 3 deal looks good to me ...anyone know oif there is a catch with them ? Many thanks

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024