Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, 13:04 - Mar 6 with 6453 viewsGuthrum

don't bother trying to sign on.

After going through the entire rigmarole, interviews, producing accounts, filling in jubbly forms, you're told at the end of six weeks that it's official policy you should have made provision for your own cover and will get no money for the time you're unable to work.

What an utter shambles.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:07 - Mar 6 with 4458 viewsNo9

It has been like that for many years
If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:10 - Mar 6 with 4444 viewsGuthrum

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:07 - Mar 6 by No9

It has been like that for many years

Would have appreciated being told that at the start, not the end of the process.

I'm now stuck in Universal Credit, which you can't just sign off from. Now having to report my earnings monthly, with the threat they can review and start making me look for work if income falls below their official threshold for any reason (e.g. a multi-month project).

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:12 - Mar 6 with 4428 viewsitfcjoe

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:10 - Mar 6 by Guthrum

Would have appreciated being told that at the start, not the end of the process.

I'm now stuck in Universal Credit, which you can't just sign off from. Now having to report my earnings monthly, with the threat they can review and start making me look for work if income falls below their official threshold for any reason (e.g. a multi-month project).

The provisions you make are generally useless too, they normally take 4 weeks to kick in which is too long anyway so hard to do anything

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:13 - Mar 6 with 4427 viewsTJS

You get nothing if you've got a decent amount of savings either whereas if you just pi$$ed your entire income against the wall you get the full payout.
I can see the logic from their side but it doesn't make it feel fair.
If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:14 - Mar 6 with 4414 viewsgiant_stow

harsh. What you gonna do?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:14 - Mar 6 with 4408 viewsGuthrum

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:13 - Mar 6 by TJS

You get nothing if you've got a decent amount of savings either whereas if you just pi$$ed your entire income against the wall you get the full payout.

Have no substantial savings, still no payout.

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:15 - Mar 6 with 4413 viewsGlasgowBlue

That seems ridiculous. Taking away the rights and wrings of their decision couldn't they have made this clear at the beginning ?

Edit. Just seen that you would have appreciated that they had told you up front.

Are you likely to be off for some time Guthers?
[Post edited 6 Mar 2018 13:18]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:20 - Mar 6 with 4393 viewsTJS

I don't get the argument that you should have provided for your own cover. Couldn't you say that about everyone in work.
Login to get fewer ads

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:21 - Mar 6 with 4382 viewsGuthrum

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:14 - Mar 6 by giant_stow

harsh. What you gonna do?

Fortunately for my case, the arm is virtually healed an I can get back to work. But if I'd had to have the operation which at one point was possibly thought necessary, it could have been hairy. Plus there must be many in a similar situation.

I shall just see who I know can make as much fuss as possible. More noise might ensure those who hypocritically proclaim themselves "friends of business" while providing little real help are removed from power.

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:22 - Mar 6 with 4370 viewsNo9

When you notified the tax authorities that you would be changing your status from a PAYE to SE they should have given you (or your accountant) all the details relevant to changing your employment status.

I am aware that since 2010 there has been considerable pressure exerted on unemployed people to go SE (just to get the unemployment numbers down) but I would have thought they had a duty to make you fully aware of all the issues around your status change.
If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:26 - Mar 6 with 4357 viewsGuthrum

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:15 - Mar 6 by GlasgowBlue

That seems ridiculous. Taking away the rights and wrings of their decision couldn't they have made this clear at the beginning ?

Edit. Just seen that you would have appreciated that they had told you up front.

Are you likely to be off for some time Guthers?
[Post edited 6 Mar 2018 13:18]

No, fortunately likely to be back at work in the next week or so.

I was also in the happy position that a few good months have given me sufficient surplus to tide myself over this time. But it might not have been so. And many others will not find themselves in such a favourable position.

Also angry that what could have been a good way of rationalising the benefits system has been turned into such a clusterf~~k by politics, poor planning and dodgy execution. It has been clear for some time how much hurt it's causing, this just emphasised to me what a shambles it really is.

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:28 - Mar 6 with 4343 viewsGuthrum

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:22 - Mar 6 by No9

When you notified the tax authorities that you would be changing your status from a PAYE to SE they should have given you (or your accountant) all the details relevant to changing your employment status.

I am aware that since 2010 there has been considerable pressure exerted on unemployed people to go SE (just to get the unemployment numbers down) but I would have thought they had a duty to make you fully aware of all the issues around your status change.

I went self-employed (this time around) some 13 years ago. Long before any of this was even on the horizon.

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:29 - Mar 6 with 4337 viewsGuthrum

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:20 - Mar 6 by TJS

I don't get the argument that you should have provided for your own cover. Couldn't you say that about everyone in work.

Those in employment are, through statutory sick pay.

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:30 - Mar 6 with 4325 viewsBenters2

Unless of course you get Cancer..
If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:36 - Mar 6 with 4292 viewsNo9

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:28 - Mar 6 by Guthrum

I went self-employed (this time around) some 13 years ago. Long before any of this was even on the horizon.

I went SE in the mid 70's and still got a pack from the Inland Revenue
I was very aware I could not get unemployment benefit or sick pay from the state
That was made clear when the reduced contributions were set out.
If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:39 - Mar 6 with 4272 viewsGuthrum

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:36 - Mar 6 by No9

I went SE in the mid 70's and still got a pack from the Inland Revenue
I was very aware I could not get unemployment benefit or sick pay from the state
That was made clear when the reduced contributions were set out.

Nope. Got nothing of the sort.

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:39 - Mar 6 with 4271 viewsBenters2

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:21 - Mar 6 by Guthrum

Fortunately for my case, the arm is virtually healed an I can get back to work. But if I'd had to have the operation which at one point was possibly thought necessary, it could have been hairy. Plus there must be many in a similar situation.

I shall just see who I know can make as much fuss as possible. More noise might ensure those who hypocritically proclaim themselves "friends of business" while providing little real help are removed from power.

Hairy arms i hate those.
If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:44 - Mar 6 with 4240 viewsGlasgowBlue

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:26 - Mar 6 by Guthrum

No, fortunately likely to be back at work in the next week or so.

I was also in the happy position that a few good months have given me sufficient surplus to tide myself over this time. But it might not have been so. And many others will not find themselves in such a favourable position.

Also angry that what could have been a good way of rationalising the benefits system has been turned into such a clusterf~~k by politics, poor planning and dodgy execution. It has been clear for some time how much hurt it's causing, this just emphasised to me what a shambles it really is.

I think the idea of universal credit was pretty much sabotaged by the treasury from the off. I don't think it's turned out like anything IDS envisaged when he brought it to the table in 2010.

Glad to hear you are back pretty soon. Not that my best wishes recoups your losses of the past six weeks.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2018 13:44]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:45 - Mar 6 with 4233 viewsNo9

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:39 - Mar 6 by Guthrum

Nope. Got nothing of the sort.

I am surprised but interested how they told you that your contributions would be reduced but not that your benefits would be reduced also?
If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:55 - Mar 6 with 4186 viewsfactual_blue

UC described within DWP as 'the lobster pot' for that reason.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:58 - Mar 6 with 4180 viewsartsbossbeard

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:13 - Mar 6 by TJS

I was made redundant some time back and thought best to go down the official route and "sign on".

The first lass who interviewed me told me that I had to report back every two weeks BUT as I had savings, I wasn't going to get paid anything.

On returning in two weeks, I saw another lass who asked a few detailed questions, told me to ignore what I was told previously and backdated payments to me.

It does seem ludicrous that I could have spunked my savings on a holiday, for example, a week before getting made redundant and the first lass would have paid me JSA. It's a fecked up system.

I, Arts Boss Beard.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 14:09 - Mar 6 with 4143 viewsfactual_blue

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 13:58 - Mar 6 by artsbossbeard

I was made redundant some time back and thought best to go down the official route and "sign on".

The first lass who interviewed me told me that I had to report back every two weeks BUT as I had savings, I wasn't going to get paid anything.

On returning in two weeks, I saw another lass who asked a few detailed questions, told me to ignore what I was told previously and backdated payments to me.

It does seem ludicrous that I could have spunked my savings on a holiday, for example, a week before getting made redundant and the first lass would have paid me JSA. It's a fecked up system.

I, Arts Boss Beard.

It's a complicated system in which staff are inadequately trained, particularly those in front-facing roles. They should have the date they joined on their name badges, like they do in Tesco. If the person you see has a date later than 2010 on their badge, ask to see a pre-2010 joiner.

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 14:35 - Mar 6 with 4083 viewsRyorry

Who's your MP?

Could/would you take out loss of earnings insurance? No idea what cover would cost if you can get, but would seem essential in light of all this? Sorry to hear you've had to go through such a clusterf, but it's quite an eye-opener to read all this from someone you know you can trust to be objective about it. Was bad enough going through the system as an council employee in the 70s and 80s.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 14:38 - Mar 6 with 4070 viewsfactual_blue

It's the workhouse for you indolent slackers.

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 15:55 - Mar 6 with 3993 viewsGuthrum

If you're self-employed and get injured/sick, on 14:38 - Mar 6 by factual_blue

It's the workhouse for you indolent slackers.

At least the workhouse provided a (bare minimum) safety net. This system no longer appears to.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024