Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 03:14 - Mar 7 with 17664 viewsMach_foreignBlue

3 points is what matters the most regardless of how it is achieved. For sure though we can't say it was a good performance from us. McCarthy, his team selection and tactics made it hard for us while it ought to have been a comfortable win against a poor opposition. 

How could he justify his team selection? I'd wonder after seeing our line-up. Extremely defensive approach to contain the opposition. 

Who were we going to contain? That was a jaded Sheffield Wed team. We had 10 days of rest since we've played Preston while Sheffield Wed played 2 away games within those 10 days. 2 long away trips for them. Loads of injuries. Bannan, Lee, Forestieri, Hooper, Westwood all out. As for the latter he's one of the better keepers in this league and his replacement Wildsmith hasn't had a good spell. The team completely out of form, lacking confidence. Take all these factors and our approach was absolutely baffling.  

Not surprisingly we barely offered a threat in the first half. The half painful to watch. One poor team against the other who would try to contain them. Tens of long aimless balls from both, a bit more from Town. First notable moment from Town was a cross from Knudsen that required Wildsmith's involvement. 

The disappointing moment in 25 minute as Carayol had to be subbed due to the injury. Up until then he'd beat their defenders twice when running with the ball and it looked it'd be yet another good performance from him. It was particularly disappointing given our depressive line-up as he was the only one he could offer a threat. 

We had no-one in the middle to link up between defence and strikers. Completely no-one to make any good passes. Literally every time our defence had the ball they'd lump it forward. No attempts to unlock their defence by some good passing. Just hoof it and see what happens. 

No real opportunities for us. The half chance from Connolly as his header on target was easily grabbed by Wildsmith and Carter-Vickers' shot from 20 yards which went wide while he should have hit the target at least.

The most notable moment of the first half was Bialkowski's stunning reflex that stopped Nuhiu's shot from the close range. 

I met Truce at half time and even he didn't understand why we had started with 3 defensive midfielders. 

Jordan Rhodes who had been ridiculously poor for them was replaced at half time. His partner in attack Nuhiu may be a donkey but at least he worked hard and dropped deep at times whereas Rhodes was a total waste. 

We started the 2nd half on the front foot and with a bigger courage that paid off. Freddie Sears forced Loovens to make a mistake and from his cross and Connolly's touch Waghorn scored from a close range. 

We dominated the proceedings for the next 10 minutes and the reason we couldn't kill the game off was a lack of attacking quality. Too many defensive minded players not knowing what to do with one exception as Connolly's header was impressively saved by the keeper. 

Then from the 60 min onwards we are starting to sit deep and hang on. Trying to shut the shop as we did at Preston. The difference was that Preston had restricted themselves to long shots while Sheffield Wed would stubbornly try to unlock our defence. Nuhiu would remain a nuisance and Joao was a greater thread that ineffective Rhodes in the first half. 

We got deservedly punished for playing like that as Joao beat both Webster and Chambers to fire into the far post. 

15 minutes to go and McCarthy did the most sensible thing by taking useless Hyam off and replacing him with an attacking minded midfielder in Ward. Almost immediately the latter started offering a threat and tormenting their left-back Fox. The whole picture changed. We were dominating and Ward's impact was very significant. Waghorn won a free-kick and superbly scored from it. Sublime one. Tight angle and best free-kick from us I've seen for a while. 

Sheffield Wed players' heads dropped and they were unable to rally themselves. There was no danger at all that they'd do what they had done back in November at Portman Road.

The key moment of the game? Without a doubt that was Ward coming on who himself injected a pace and movement into the dead midfield and my question is why he didn't start. Yes we won but this ought to have been comfortable win against the poor opposition. McCarthy made it hard and awkward by his decisions. Fortunately though he didn't settle for a point as Ward's arrival changed the game. 

A few words about some players:

Waghorn was my MOTM for his goals and activity and there has to be a special praise for Sears as he kept their defenders busy and his contribution led to our first goal. 

Hyam was useless and based on this I wouldn't like him to stay beyond this season. One good pass followed by 2-3 pointless ones. Rightly subbed as he offered nothing.

Webster? Him taking the ball out of defence had been a refreshing thing last season. Different player nowadays though as he switched into the Delaney or Smith mode and keeps hoofing. 

Knudsen and Spence would try to improvise as wing-backs today but they failed particularly Spence. 

Mick McCarthy? He's laughing at me and others who have been bemoaning his decisions. Yes he got the result tonight but the approach like this ain't a recipe for the long term success. Some games you win like tonight and some you don't (just like he tried to contain Burton at Portman Road). Once again why setting up to contain such hopeless and tired Sheffield Wed team?

Our abnormally good record at Hillsborough remains intact and that's the biggest positive from today.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 3:17]
Match thoughts on 03:54 - Mar 7 with 7159 viewsBenters2

Good report Mach.
Match thoughts on 04:12 - Mar 7 with 7149 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

‘How could he justify his team selection?’

Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Ipswich Town

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Match thoughts on 04:36 - Mar 7 with 7126 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 04:12 - Mar 7 by The_Romford_Blue

‘How could he justify his team selection?’

Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Ipswich Town

Thats all that matters right?

Should have stuffed them 4.0

Yeah i know some of us want the moon on a stick.
Match thoughts on 04:47 - Mar 7 with 7118 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Match thoughts on 04:36 - Mar 7 by Benters2

Thats all that matters right?

Should have stuffed them 4.0

Yeah i know some of us want the moon on a stick.

To me it’s: Results > Everything else

Match thoughts on 04:52 - Mar 7 with 7115 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 04:47 - Mar 7 by The_Romford_Blue

For me its the entertainment and enjoyment of watching good football.

The free kick was bloody good though.
Match thoughts on 04:54 - Mar 7 with 7111 viewsBenters2

Hey Mach,did Truce get the 'Super Mick'chant roaring out by the town fans?
Match thoughts on 05:42 - Mar 7 with 7093 viewsWednesdayJon

Well done ITFC and Mick McCarthy. You deserved to win. We were poor, as per of late (in fact for MOST of this season), and you were less poor, which is a back handed compliment thinking about it, so scratch that. You were better than us, as you were at Portman Road earlier in the season.

'Nuhiu may be a donkey but at least he worked hard '
I'm not having that: If you look beyond his sheer size, and his lack of pace, Nuhiu is NOT a donkey, that's unfair. One of your fellow TWTD described him as the 'best player on the pitch', which I agree may be pushing it a bit, but for a VERY big bloke, he is not a bad footballer at all. He's no donkey.
Match thoughts on 05:56 - Mar 7 with 7061 viewsbrogansnose

Match thoughts on 05:42 - Mar 7 by WednesdayJon

Well done ITFC and Mick McCarthy. You deserved to win. We were poor, as per of late (in fact for MOST of this season), and you were less poor, which is a back handed compliment thinking about it, so scratch that. You were better than us, as you were at Portman Road earlier in the season.

'Nuhiu may be a donkey but at least he worked hard '
I'm not having that: If you look beyond his sheer size, and his lack of pace, Nuhiu is NOT a donkey, that's unfair. One of your fellow TWTD described him as the 'best player on the pitch', which I agree may be pushing it a bit, but for a VERY big bloke, he is not a bad footballer at all. He's no donkey.

All the best for the rest of the season Jon. Wednesday are the only other team that I kind of like, mainly cos I seem to have loads of mates that support them and I do like Sheffield the place and people. What I do know is that they're not happy lads, but like you say, those injuries are crippling.

Bounce back next season ? There's a lot of quality in that side.
Login to get fewer ads

Match thoughts on 06:28 - Mar 7 with 7009 viewsbluesym

‘Mach Thoughts’

Surely?!

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Match thoughts on 06:49 - Mar 7 with 6961 viewsJohnny_Boy

Picture the scene. Our play-off chances have bitten the dust. There's no chance of relegation.
Do we insist on playing the loanees for the remainder of the season (to get the results), or play the kids for first team experience & a chance of progressing them further for next season.

Whilst I agree results are all that matter - that gives the manager very little room for a poor patch - if the football is dreadful (and being accepted through gritted teeth).
Match thoughts on 06:52 - Mar 7 with 6940 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 06:49 - Mar 7 by Johnny_Boy

Picture the scene. Our play-off chances have bitten the dust. There's no chance of relegation.
Do we insist on playing the loanees for the remainder of the season (to get the results), or play the kids for first team experience & a chance of progressing them further for next season.

Whilst I agree results are all that matter - that gives the manager very little room for a poor patch - if the football is dreadful (and being accepted through gritted teeth).

Do you think Mick Mac will be here next season?
Match thoughts on 06:54 - Mar 7 with 6930 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

That’s a separate issue though isn’t it? At the end of the season lasts year, there was nothing to play for.

I travelled to Rotherham and saw us make 9 changes.

At this point in the season, it’s not over. Results are 1000 times more important than style in my opinion.

Match thoughts on 06:58 - Mar 7 with 6920 viewsJohnny_Boy

Match thoughts on 06:52 - Mar 7 by Benters2

Do you think Mick Mac will be here next season?

All season long I've been categorically insisting there isn't a snowball in hell chance of Mick staying on, after all the rhetoric posturing (from the manager & fans).

However, Evans being Evans, doesn't seem to give a damn about the fans. So perversely, their lack of support for Mick will fall on death ears & it wouldn't surprise me if he extends his contract. So detached from the fans' concensus, I can simply see him happily lose another 2,000 ST holders next season.

He doesn't care.
Match thoughts on 06:58 - Mar 7 with 6916 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

You know there’s not a lot to moan about really when you have to make up hypotheticals that haven’t happened to justify it

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Match thoughts on 07:02 - Mar 7 with 6901 viewsJohnny_Boy

Match thoughts on 06:54 - Mar 7 by The_Romford_Blue

That’s a separate issue though isn’t it? At the end of the season lasts year, there was nothing to play for.

I travelled to Rotherham and saw us make 9 changes.

At this point in the season, it’s not over. Results are 1000 times more important than style in my opinion.

So it isn't simply a matter of results over everything else.
Fielding a weakened team to 'hopefully' gain 3pts the following week undermines that too.

But yes, I do get what you are saying.... I'm just trying to suggest it's not as black & white.
Match thoughts on 07:04 - Mar 7 with 6886 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Match thoughts on 07:02 - Mar 7 by Johnny_Boy

So it isn't simply a matter of results over everything else.
Fielding a weakened team to 'hopefully' gain 3pts the following week undermines that too.

But yes, I do get what you are saying.... I'm just trying to suggest it's not as black & white.

There’s a huge difference between 11 games to play and still within 7 pts of the playoffs (with a game in hand) and at the end of the season when mid table obscurity is absolutely definite.

Match thoughts on 07:04 - Mar 7 with 6885 viewsJohnny_Boy

Match thoughts on 06:58 - Mar 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You know there’s not a lot to moan about really when you have to make up hypotheticals that haven’t happened to justify it

Christ. Wading in for a confrontation at 7am.
You must have started the day well.

I don't think I was moaning. Just putting the point across that substance & style can go hand in hand, if the manager is open to do that. PNE & Millwall aren't doing so badly on similar budgets to ours. Surely the two young managers aren't out-foxing Wiley old Mick?!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 7:12]
Match thoughts on 07:06 - Mar 7 with 6868 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 06:58 - Mar 7 by Johnny_Boy

All season long I've been categorically insisting there isn't a snowball in hell chance of Mick staying on, after all the rhetoric posturing (from the manager & fans).

However, Evans being Evans, doesn't seem to give a damn about the fans. So perversely, their lack of support for Mick will fall on death ears & it wouldn't surprise me if he extends his contract. So detached from the fans' concensus, I can simply see him happily lose another 2,000 ST holders next season.

He doesn't care.

Oh well more money i will save next season then!
Match thoughts on 07:06 - Mar 7 with 6864 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Match thoughts on 07:04 - Mar 7 by Johnny_Boy

I don't think I was moaning. Just putting the point across that substance & style can go hand in hand, if the manager is open to do that. PNE & Millwall aren't doing so badly on similar budgets to ours. Surely the two young managers aren't out-foxing Wiley old Mick?!

Sure 🙄😂

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Match thoughts on 07:07 - Mar 7 with 6866 viewsJohnny_Boy

Match thoughts on 07:04 - Mar 7 by The_Romford_Blue

There’s a huge difference between 11 games to play and still within 7 pts of the playoffs (with a game in hand) and at the end of the season when mid table obscurity is absolutely definite.

So your staunch definition of 'Results Over Everything' needs to have a caveat that says.....(Only In Games When It Matters).
Match thoughts on 07:08 - Mar 7 with 6856 viewsJohnny_Boy

Match thoughts on 07:06 - Mar 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Sure 🙄😂

Surprised you didn't opt for a Minion Meme.
Match thoughts on 07:16 - Mar 7 with 6827 viewsPlums

There are two sets of results that matter:
* on the pitch
* the accounts

Mick is doing ok on the former but is running out of people who want to watch it and that is affecting the latter. I only travelled for about 90 mins for that last night. I loved the win but would I travel and pay to watch it every week? No.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Match thoughts on 07:18 - Mar 7 with 6808 viewsartsbossbeard

Keep smiling Mach.

All these decent away wins recently will help.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Match thoughts on 07:20 - Mar 7 with 6808 viewsBluefish

Good report Mach

Agree on the line up, as I said to you at half time, on the way there we predicted the line up and my son then checked if we were right. I had all of the team right (bar Iorfa for spence) and got to the final player. I thought garner would be rested am he would play Celina just off waggy. 10 players were named but itbhas to go through all of these before I considered Hyam. Celina, garner, Sears, Ward, Gleeson, Nydam, Bru. I just couldn't work out how we would play with that midfield.

It soon turned out the plan was to contain and the hit early long balls to use the strength of waggy and pace of muzzy. It was awful!! We had 25 minutes of it until Skusey seemed to then take control and we started to look dangerous with some decent attacks and nice build up. We then probably started too many passes, one incident saw Sears, Spence and hyam turn down about 10 opportunities to cross until a very poor hyam cross.

I think the 2 subs turned the game. Sears is still short of confidence but he was full of running and gave them lots of problems in their shaky back 4, this also inspired waggy. I thought ward was excellent when he came on and found his confidence to run at them again

Good win would have likes it to be more comfortable

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Match thoughts on 07:31 - Mar 7 with 6738 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 07:04 - Mar 7 by Johnny_Boy

This.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024