Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football has moved on, ITFC hasn’t. 08:45 - Mar 14 with 1332 viewsDeano69

Love it it hate it, but football has moved on.

The Premiership is beyond the reach of the majority of clubs and has become black hole for talented players and money. An economy like no other where one players wages could run an entire lower league.

The Championship is now where the Premiership was 5 years ago. 8 figure sum players, a growing audience for tv rights and a tough league to do well in.

ITFC are really now set up, funded and run more in the way a League 1 Club, so we shouldn’t really be surprised at the position we find ourselves in. Because of our lengthy experience in the league and the dogged and disruptive style of play, we are able to hold our own - at the moment.

I fully understand the fans anger, I hate hearing us boo, jeer and belittle our team. We are stuck in a vicious circle and something needs to give. Either we conform to the conditions or wither. Change to cope with change. If we continue to do the same we have always done then we should expect any better than what we have now.

The fans have very limited options and influence in all this with the exception of the time between kick off and finish whistle.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Football has moved on, ITFC hasn’t. on 08:49 - Mar 14 with 1315 viewsBlueNomad

Spot on
Football has moved on, ITFC hasn’t. on 09:38 - Mar 14 with 1246 viewssotd78

To compete now for a top six finish - that does not even guarantee promotion - needs a solid investment of £10 million or so every year on players - that's transfer fees - not wages. So really we are speaking about £30 milllion a year. A few clubs have it either from wealthy owners or from parachute money - so each year it is a decision for the owner - do I gamble.

Evans clearly does not want to gamble more than say £6million so we tread water.

The fans could cope with being a "development" club - like a slightly larger Crewe of old.
Bring forward the youngsters and sell one or two on when they are good enough. The trouble now is that a greedy Prem club would simply buy them up and loan them out. The modern game is built to feed a half dozen clubs vying for four Champions League places - the rest are also rans. Even Everton spending £100 million hasn't worked. West Ham are in turmoil for only spending a "few million" - in fact more in Januarythan our entire club cost to run! Look how happy they all are!

Only the churn of three up and down makes it palatable to the rest.

As individual fans we are powerless but take a look around the grounds on match days - the demographic now is middle income, middle aged and older. The game is steadily killing off the grass roots support. Perhaps with luck it'll die and we can have a glorious resurrection. But don't hold your breath.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Football has moved on, ITFC hasn’t. on 10:30 - Mar 14 with 1194 viewsBlueRaider

Football has moved on, ITFC hasn’t. on 09:38 - Mar 14 by sotd78

To compete now for a top six finish - that does not even guarantee promotion - needs a solid investment of £10 million or so every year on players - that's transfer fees - not wages. So really we are speaking about £30 milllion a year. A few clubs have it either from wealthy owners or from parachute money - so each year it is a decision for the owner - do I gamble.

Evans clearly does not want to gamble more than say £6million so we tread water.

The fans could cope with being a "development" club - like a slightly larger Crewe of old.
Bring forward the youngsters and sell one or two on when they are good enough. The trouble now is that a greedy Prem club would simply buy them up and loan them out. The modern game is built to feed a half dozen clubs vying for four Champions League places - the rest are also rans. Even Everton spending £100 million hasn't worked. West Ham are in turmoil for only spending a "few million" - in fact more in Januarythan our entire club cost to run! Look how happy they all are!

As individual fans we are powerless but take a look around the grounds on match days - the demographic now is middle income, middle aged and older. The game is steadily killing off the grass roots support. Perhaps with luck it'll die and we can have a glorious resurrection. But don't hold your breath.

You are right, the game as a whole is a mess, perhaps fans of all clubs could get together to try and effect some change.

To me creating a level playing field and introducing incentives for more attacking play would improve the game no end.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Football has moved on, ITFC hasn’t. on 11:07 - Mar 14 with 1154 viewspeterleeblue

Football has moved on, ITFC hasn’t. on 09:38 - Mar 14 by sotd78

Post of the Day!!
What say Huddersfield, Brighton even Brentford (who play great football).

I still think we can make some progress.
Football has moved on, ITFC hasn’t. on 11:19 - Mar 14 with 1134 viewsnoggin

Football has moved on, ITFC hasn’t. on 10:30 - Mar 14 by BlueRaider

You are right, the game as a whole is a mess, perhaps fans of all clubs could get together to try and effect some change.

To me creating a level playing field and introducing incentives for more attacking play would improve the game no end.

Well if fans of all clubs can come together in protest at "all extremism", you might be on to something.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024