Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. 11:08 - Mar 14 with 3038 viewsshamboy

Many will argue, but they will be wrong.

The fact that he outs people asking daft questions, and calls a spade a spade, adds to his appeal in my opinion. If other managers want to kowtow to people asking dopey questions, then that is their problem.

If I had to take a side, it would be Mick's. He ain't perfect, but keeping us in mid table is better than 9 out of 10 other managers would achieve.
Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:13 - Mar 14 with 3014 viewsSmithy

are you trying to tell me that players like Celina, Ward, Webster, Bishop, Waghorn, McGoldrick, Rowe, Sears, Nydam, Downes and Dozzell are better playing in a negative brand of football and wouldn't thrive with a more positive attacking approach??

Weird.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:16 - Mar 14 with 2994 viewsITFCBlues

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:13 - Mar 14 by Smithy

are you trying to tell me that players like Celina, Ward, Webster, Bishop, Waghorn, McGoldrick, Rowe, Sears, Nydam, Downes and Dozzell are better playing in a negative brand of football and wouldn't thrive with a more positive attacking approach??

Weird.

There is no evidence to suggest they would. We’re mid-table of course.

Or do you think we should be a top 6 side?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:18 - Mar 14 with 2987 viewsSmithy

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:16 - Mar 14 by ITFCBlues

no just a more adventurous entertaining side

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:19 - Mar 14 with 2990 viewsSomethingBlue

I like Mick and broadly I think you are right. Given the extent of our injuries this season — not to mention the relative paucity of our resources to make further additions — nobody could sensibly expect us to be any higher. I also think that, were it not for last season's torpor, people would be much better disposed to chalking this season off and letting Mick have a go with a full hand next time around. We were missing a ridiculous number of players last night and were woefully low on quality.

But the biggest problem now is the atmosphere and the fact that, rightly or wrongly, people have reached the point of no return. It is understandable as we have stagnated terribly and have no real idea of the club's wider aims. It means we have to make a change because there is little prospect of it getting better. There are many, many mitigating factors for Mick in all this but it seems to be too late.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 11:19]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:19 - Mar 14 with 2979 viewsPinewoodblue

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:16 - Mar 14 by ITFCBlues

We should aspire to bring a top six side and should end each season, with a stronger, better squad than the previous season.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:20 - Mar 14 with 2974 viewsSomethingBlue

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:19 - Mar 14 by Pinewoodblue

We should aspire to bring a top six side and should end each season, with a stronger, better squad than the previous season.

We will this season, to be fair, considerably so — but half of them are injured.

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:20 - Mar 14 with 2970 viewsPauls_Cr0wn_Jewells

Adam Ball Playing Webster has now turned into Adam Hoofball Webster, certain individuals he has improved but i disagree he has improved everyone.

Poll: Offer Bishop a new contract now?

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:22 - Mar 14 with 2958 viewsFixed_It

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:19 - Mar 14 by SomethingBlue

I like Mick and broadly I think you are right. Given the extent of our injuries this season — not to mention the relative paucity of our resources to make further additions — nobody could sensibly expect us to be any higher. I also think that, were it not for last season's torpor, people would be much better disposed to chalking this season off and letting Mick have a go with a full hand next time around. We were missing a ridiculous number of players last night and were woefully low on quality.

But the biggest problem now is the atmosphere and the fact that, rightly or wrongly, people have reached the point of no return. It is understandable as we have stagnated terribly and have no real idea of the club's wider aims. It means we have to make a change because there is little prospect of it getting better. There are many, many mitigating factors for Mick in all this but it seems to be too late.

I think that's a pretty fair evaluation of the situation.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:22 - Mar 14 with 2953 viewsITFCBlues

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:20 - Mar 14 by SomethingBlue

We will this season, to be fair, considerably so — but half of them are injured.

Exactly & we’ve also improved league position this season. Just a shame we’re crippled with injuries

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:24 - Mar 14 with 2949 viewsPinewoodblue

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:20 - Mar 14 by SomethingBlue

Depends who moves on at the end of the season. For example Bart goes think you are wrong about the squad

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:26 - Mar 14 with 2937 viewsSomethingBlue

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:24 - Mar 14 by Pinewoodblue

Depends who moves on at the end of the season. For example Bart goes think you are wrong about the squad

You talked about how we end the season, not who leaves after. We will end the season with a far better squad than last year. But with half of them, and coincidentally all bar a couple of our really good technical players, unavailable.

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:28 - Mar 14 with 2932 viewschristiand

This is just your opinion Shamboy, it isn't fact based just a sweeping statement. There could be 9 out of 10 managers that could do a better job than MM. It appears many just get caught up in the myth that MM is the only manager capable of managing ITFC at the moment. I believe there are a few candidates (Paul Cook, Paul Hurst, Nathan Jones and John Coleman to name a few) out there that could do an equally good job and play a better brand of football too. However, my issue would be that ME would be unable to recognise them or be able to recruitment them as he would need to put his hand in his pocket to pay compensation and we all know he hates spending!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:32 - Mar 14 with 2924 viewshammo56

A lot of those players who have been injured this season have been injury prone in the past so it likely they will be missing again next season as well.
About right on 11:41 - Mar 14 with 2893 viewsDyland

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:19 - Mar 14 by SomethingBlue

However let's not lose sight of the fundamental problem fans of all different analytical abilities have with Mick, perceived or otherwise. He's shown over the years a pragmatism that is at times laudable, but is as often as not lamentable. His comments inflame this and whilst I don't give two hoots about the insults, his PR skills are actually awful.

Likewise Evans should be applauded generally for his hands off approach, but at the same time has to bear responsibility for letting it slide so much that we find ourselves in this sorry state. He should have sacked Mick after the Lincoln debacle. Plenty of fans very tolerant and sympathetic to Mick said the same, not just the obstinate outers who will never ever give him any credit, and never liked him even during the playoff season.

The fact Lincoln came right off the back of the infuriating game at Loftus Road exacerbated my disenchantment, and many others. Only reason I didn't join the vocal "outers" was because I'm one of those up and down fans, a silly sod who gets hopes up even though rationally he knows better. That's the glory, and the curse, of being a died in the wool supporter of a football club.

Rightly or wrongly, and whatever the mitigating circumstances, Mick's had his time. It's time to go. If MEG thinks they can get any decent level of ST sales with Mick still here and by cutting/freezing prices prices, they are naive at best, shambolic at worst.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:48 - Mar 14 with 2864 viewsLeoMuff

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 11:18 - Mar 14 by Smithy

no just a more adventurous entertaining side

Like under Keane and Jewell you mean ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About right on 12:01 - Mar 14 with 2837 viewsGuthrum

About right on 11:41 - Mar 14 by Dyland

However let's not lose sight of the fundamental problem fans of all different analytical abilities have with Mick, perceived or otherwise. He's shown over the years a pragmatism that is at times laudable, but is as often as not lamentable. His comments inflame this and whilst I don't give two hoots about the insults, his PR skills are actually awful.

Likewise Evans should be applauded generally for his hands off approach, but at the same time has to bear responsibility for letting it slide so much that we find ourselves in this sorry state. He should have sacked Mick after the Lincoln debacle. Plenty of fans very tolerant and sympathetic to Mick said the same, not just the obstinate outers who will never ever give him any credit, and never liked him even during the playoff season.

The fact Lincoln came right off the back of the infuriating game at Loftus Road exacerbated my disenchantment, and many others. Only reason I didn't join the vocal "outers" was because I'm one of those up and down fans, a silly sod who gets hopes up even though rationally he knows better. That's the glory, and the curse, of being a died in the wool supporter of a football club.

Rightly or wrongly, and whatever the mitigating circumstances, Mick's had his time. It's time to go. If MEG thinks they can get any decent level of ST sales with Mick still here and by cutting/freezing prices prices, they are naive at best, shambolic at worst.

COYFB

McCarthy's approach to public relations has done an awful lot to make a difficult situation far worse. And much of it was stuff he didn't need to say (e.g. "the more fans call for a player, the less likely I am to use him") and almost certainly wasn't literally true.

It's generated the meme of a professional football club Manager acting deliberately to spite or troll the fanbase, to the detriment of performances on the pitch. On the face of it, ridiculous - but McCarthy has succeeded in making it believable to many.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mick is getting the best out of the players he has. on 12:01 - Mar 14 with 2834 viewswkj

I don't think that he is personally. He is getting more out of them than Keane or Jewell probably would- Though i think there are a few players who would perform better with another manager, youth particularly.

The main team plays nothing like the youth team, and while the youth team brings in a mixed bag of result, in their games you see them encouraged to try different things, it is honestly worth checking out a few youth games now and again.

Mick has a formula, and he gets players in to help make that formula work, though it is evident that formula helped us out of the swamp, it isn't capable of getting us up the mountain.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Indeed on 13:01 - Mar 14 with 2753 viewsDyland

About right on 12:01 - Mar 14 by Guthrum

McCarthy's approach to public relations has done an awful lot to make a difficult situation far worse. And much of it was stuff he didn't need to say (e.g. "the more fans call for a player, the less likely I am to use him") and almost certainly wasn't literally true.

It's generated the meme of a professional football club Manager acting deliberately to spite or troll the fanbase, to the detriment of performances on the pitch. On the face of it, ridiculous - but McCarthy has succeeded in making it believable to many.

Hasn't bothered me up till now.

The breaking point has come.

Or has it!

Seriously miffed at the moment.

Echoing what Lucers said in another thread though, Mick is the one to go rather than Evans. For the time being. But how the hell are these people going to find a better replacement who can keep us competitive and in with a slant at promotion?

MEG has let this slide for far too long.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024