Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood 12:51 - Mar 14 with 71657 viewswkj

Seems as J2 bought up that Toys R Us are crocked, it got me thinking about other shops in the town that were memorable for me as a child, the two that stick out the most are:

John Menzies (which then became HMV i think) as going up those stairs felt like the coolest thing, and it is the first place I ever saw a 1kg slab of cadburys at christmas.

Grimwades as they has a beautiful pork pie type dinner in their restaurant on the upper floors.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:53 - Mar 14 with 22923 viewshype313

Red Eye Records, New Era, Trapeze, Phunk Chunk The Sport Shop next to Willy's and Milly's.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:55 - Mar 14 with 22915 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick McNeil Sports

Everybody's Hobbies

Red Eye Records

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:56 - Mar 14 with 22909 viewswkj

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:55 - Mar 14 by SpruceMoose

Mick McNeil Sports

Everybody's Hobbies

Red Eye Records

Everybody's hobbies really was an amazing place

Crybaby

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:57 - Mar 14 with 22904 viewsSpruceMoose

I just remembered Index on the top floor of Tower Ramparts.

How on earth are Argos still in business?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:58 - Mar 14 with 22889 viewsFrimleyBlue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:57 - Mar 14 by SpruceMoose

Can't be for long, its now the cool thing to have Argo's inside of sainsburys wtf??

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:01 - Mar 14 with 22890 viewswkj

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:57 - Mar 14 by SpruceMoose

Argos has a clever strategy where by they offer same day delivery. Argos is always my go to shop if I need something on the day for whatever reason, and I think they do a massive Christmas trade as people don't have to spend ages browsing the aisles. Also they are able to store a lot of stock in a lot less space than traditional stores, so probably have lower overheads than most.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 13:02]

Crybaby

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:01 - Mar 14 with 22880 viewsLord_Lucan

Not really my childhood but I liked Mintz and Davies

and I miss the Snooker Hall

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:04 - Mar 14 with 22874 viewsFootballpete

Ipswich Record and Tape Exchange (aka Smelly's)
Rex Records
RUDE

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:05 - Mar 14 with 22867 viewsSpruceMoose

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:56 - Mar 14 by wkj

<a href=" https://imgflip.com/i/26d1y9"> src=" https://i.imgflip.com/26d1y9.jpg" title="made at imgflip.com"/></a>

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:06 - Mar 14 with 22863 viewsfabian_illness

Albert List.
Mick McNeils.
Tooks.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:08 - Mar 14 with 22855 viewsDubtractor

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:04 - Mar 14 by Footballpete

Ipswich Record and Tape Exchange (aka Smelly's)
Rex Records
RUDE

The IRATE or smelly shop was what we called it.

Rex and compact music were pretty good too.

As a young kid I got loads of stuff from everybody's hobbies and Mortems stationers (become Chicago's) as they sold marbles.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:09 - Mar 14 with 22852 viewsChondzoresk

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:01 - Mar 14 by Lord_Lucan

Not really my childhood but I liked Mintz and Davies

and I miss the Snooker Hall

I got all my Farahs and clobber from Mintz and Davis, Carr Street....back in the mid 1980s...
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:09 - Mar 14 with 22849 viewsSpruceMoose

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:01 - Mar 14 by wkj

Argos has a clever strategy where by they offer same day delivery. Argos is always my go to shop if I need something on the day for whatever reason, and I think they do a massive Christmas trade as people don't have to spend ages browsing the aisles. Also they are able to store a lot of stock in a lot less space than traditional stores, so probably have lower overheads than most.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 13:02]

I guess so. I just can't imagine every buying anything from Argos which I couldn't get from Amazon cheaper while sat in my underpants.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 13:10]

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:24 - Mar 14 with 22808 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:06 - Mar 14 by fabian_illness

Albert List.
Mick McNeils.
Tooks.

Mick McNeils!! Deffo.

I left Ipswich 26 years ago, but to hear that name brings back memories of buying footie boots etc.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:24 - Mar 14 with 22810 viewsblueislander

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:09 - Mar 14 by SpruceMoose

I guess so. I just can't imagine every buying anything from Argos which I couldn't get from Amazon cheaper while sat in my underpants.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 13:10]

The Ancient House. - I assume it is not there any more.? The school uniform shop in my day was Edwards next to The Whote Horse. The record shop was in the Buttermarket , can't remember its name.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:32 - Mar 14 with 22792 viewsSpruceMoose

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:24 - Mar 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Mick McNeils!! Deffo.

I left Ipswich 26 years ago, but to hear that name brings back memories of buying footie boots etc.

Had a decent selection of Cricket equipment too. Where does one go to buy an XXXL box nowadays?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:45 - Mar 14 with 22764 viewsimsureazzure

Square deal Norwich rd, so many great records bought from that shop.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:14 - Mar 14 with 22714 viewsgainsboroughblue

Albert List
Mick McNeils
Evolution
Dolls Hospital
Rex Records
Andy's records
Martin and Newby

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:14 - Mar 14 with 22715 viewsstringy

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:24 - Mar 14 by blueislander

The Ancient House. - I assume it is not there any more.? The school uniform shop in my day was Edwards next to The Whote Horse. The record shop was in the Buttermarket , can't remember its name.

The Ancient House was a phenomenal place; gorgeous building and books galore - that and Parrot Records!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:15 - Mar 14 with 22712 viewsMookamoo

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:56 - Mar 14 by wkj

My first job was at Everybody's Hobbies - great place to work. Spent all day 'testing' Tamiya RC cars and Hornby trains.

Was working there when Toys R Us opened in the town. Sorry for those losing their jobs etc etc.. but good riddance to the soulless yankyfied toy barn - they tried really hard to put Hobbies under.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:23 - Mar 14 with 22684 viewsFrimleyBlue

JJB With the basketball cage inside it.

The café in tower ramparts. Cup of milk for 40p

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:27 - Mar 14 with 22679 viewsJ2BLUE

Woolworths. Some very happy memories of going there with my nan for breakfast and then her buying me about 30 packets of football stickers.

Woolworths reminds me of when life was good.

Thing-me-bobs is another one. Full of total sh1te but just a reminder of better times.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:28 - Mar 14 with 22682 viewsReuser_is_God

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:27 - Mar 14 by J2BLUE

Woolworths. Some very happy memories of going there with my nan for breakfast and then her buying me about 30 packets of football stickers.

Woolworths reminds me of when life was good.

Thing-me-bobs is another one. Full of total sh1te but just a reminder of better times.

& JJB next door.

When in its heyday was a great couple of shops next door to each other.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:28 - Mar 14 with 22680 viewshanoverblue

Co-op department store in Carr street ,our price records c and a
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:28 - Mar 14 with 22670 viewsKieran_Knows

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:28 - Mar 14 by Reuser_is_God

& JJB next door.

When in its heyday was a great couple of shops next door to each other.

The indoor football pitches were great in JJB. Spent many an afternoon playing football in there!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024