Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood 12:51 - Mar 14 with 72419 viewswkj

Seems as J2 bought up that Toys R Us are crocked, it got me thinking about other shops in the town that were memorable for me as a child, the two that stick out the most are:

John Menzies (which then became HMV i think) as going up those stairs felt like the coolest thing, and it is the first place I ever saw a 1kg slab of cadburys at christmas.

Grimwades as they has a beautiful pork pie type dinner in their restaurant on the upper floors.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:41 - Apr 11 with 11634 viewsPiercingBlue

Everybody's Hobbies
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:43 - Apr 11 with 11632 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:48 - Apr 11 by tractorshark

Was Everybody’s Hobbies the toy shop in Northgate Street??
I lived in Sussex but every time I came to Ipswich with my dad, we’d go in there and I’d buy some Subbuteo.
I think I managed to get Uruguay in there, which was considered pretty rare at the time.

Everybody's Hobbies was Great Colman Street.

Mortems was on Northgate Street though.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:45 - Apr 11 with 11620 viewsjontysnut

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:38 - Apr 11 by gainsboroughblue

That sounds like Clayton Sports to me.

yes of course
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:56 - Apr 11 with 11602 viewsazuremerlangus

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:56 - Mar 14 by wkj

Everybody's hobbies really was an amazing place

A class mate from school used to work there in the mid 80's.

He managed to steal a snooker table and got caught (probably cooked the order books somehow)- story made the local papers.

Went over the wall for it.

Never seen him at any school reunions...

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:22 - Apr 11 with 11570 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:25 - Apr 11 by ITFC_Forever

Here’s one no-one’s said and many of will ah e been to - Watson’s shoe shop on Heath Road.

Every kid in Ipswich seemed to get their school shoes in there.

Run by a kindly old couple (Mr & Mrs Watson) who had piles and piles and piles of shoe boxes stacked all around the shop - and they knew exactly what was in every one of them.

If that's the one on the parade that is now Bonds white goods I had that on a short term lease just after the shoe shop closed - circa 2001/2?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:52 - Apr 11 with 11546 viewsslump

Just had a quick scan through this thread and there are some great shouts.

Peachy Sports?

Mate of mine got a pair of G Vilas from there and they had to be the smelliest pair of trainers ever made.

UTT

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:55 - Apr 11 with 11538 viewsPJH

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:38 - Apr 11 by gainsboroughblue

That sounds like Clayton Sports to me.

Which I think before it was Clayton's was Mick McNeil's sports shop, I believe that that was the same building.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:57 - Apr 11 with 11535 viewsITFC_Forever

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:22 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

If that's the one on the parade that is now Bonds white goods I had that on a short term lease just after the shoe shop closed - circa 2001/2?

Yep, that’s the one.

We used to live on Heath Lane when I was a kid before we moved to Castle Hill. Mum still used to take us to Watsons for our school shoes.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:06 - Apr 11 with 11505 viewsclive_baker

I'm struggling to recall the name, but I want to say Brian Page sports shop? Anyone remember that? Remember going there for a yellow Mitre Delta Premier League ball with my old man when I was about 8. What a ball that was, scored some screamers with that.

McDonalds deserves a mention. Not the multiple out of town, newer drive thru nonsense, I'm talking 90's high street, plastic bucket seats, brown everywhere, tiled floor, Chinese lady sweeping up. Used to feel like the absolute b0llocks up on the top deck when that was open.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:08 - Apr 11 with 11500 viewsclive_baker

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:28 - Mar 14 by Reuser_is_God

& JJB next door.

When in its heyday was a great couple of shops next door to each other.

In hindsight the amount of disrespect I showed West World Sports across the road was pure filth. Absolutely no time for an Orlando Magic puffa jacket thanks chap, I'm getting me down the escalator into JJB.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:11 - Apr 11 with 11493 viewsWeWereZombies

In addition to many already mentioned (especially Orwell Books and Parrot Records):

The Globe Bookshop on St. Margaret's Plain - top place for fantasy and alternative comic books

Discus Record Exchange on St. Helen's Street

The top floor cafe in Debenhams complete with waitress service

British Home Stores where they had a display of 45s all priced at six shillings and eightpence.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:13 - Apr 11 with 11492 viewsPJH

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:11 - Apr 11 by WeWereZombies

In addition to many already mentioned (especially Orwell Books and Parrot Records):

The Globe Bookshop on St. Margaret's Plain - top place for fantasy and alternative comic books

Discus Record Exchange on St. Helen's Street

The top floor cafe in Debenhams complete with waitress service

British Home Stores where they had a display of 45s all priced at six shillings and eightpence.

Three singles for a pound-TWTD.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:18 - Apr 11 with 11487 viewsclive_baker

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:54 - Apr 11 by MJallday

Not an ipswich one - but i always miss Andy's Records from Bury st edmunds.
that and "computer magic"

as far as ipswich goes, many hours spent in the buttermarket Wimpey :)

Ipswich had a Computer Magic too, it was near the bus station. That parade of shops where Sin is now.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:21 - Apr 11 with 11481 viewsJ2BLUE

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:27 - Mar 14 by J2BLUE

Woolworths. Some very happy memories of going there with my nan for breakfast and then her buying me about 30 packets of football stickers.

Woolworths reminds me of when life was good.

Thing-me-bobs is another one. Full of total sh1te but just a reminder of better times.

I was thinking about Woolworths yesterday. As a kid we used to go there and stock up on little cans of drinks before going to Pontins. Sounds a bit sad now but nothing ever made me happier. I loved Pontins as a kid. About 30 members of the family would go from Ipswich and Norwich to meet up for a few long weekends each year.

Nothing will ever be as exciting ever again

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:32 - Apr 11 with 11467 viewsKieran_Knows

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:06 - Apr 11 by clive_baker

I'm struggling to recall the name, but I want to say Brian Page sports shop? Anyone remember that? Remember going there for a yellow Mitre Delta Premier League ball with my old man when I was about 8. What a ball that was, scored some screamers with that.

McDonalds deserves a mention. Not the multiple out of town, newer drive thru nonsense, I'm talking 90's high street, plastic bucket seats, brown everywhere, tiled floor, Chinese lady sweeping up. Used to feel like the absolute b0llocks up on the top deck when that was open.

There was still a Chinese lady cleaning in there some 2-3 years (haven't been to the one in Town in ages now).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:47 - Apr 11 with 11457 viewsSmithersJones

Do I remember rightly that Sports Shu was opposite the original Mick McNeill's? My mum got me some almost-Adidas trainers from there. They had four stripes.
And a shop near Suffolk College called simply "Musical Instruments".
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:18 - Apr 11 with 11434 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:47 - Apr 11 by SmithersJones

Do I remember rightly that Sports Shu was opposite the original Mick McNeill's? My mum got me some almost-Adidas trainers from there. They had four stripes.
And a shop near Suffolk College called simply "Musical Instruments".

Ah, that row of shops opposite Ipswich Civic College - Peter's Ice Cream, a milk bar type of snack place. Don't remember 'Musical Instruments' though. Some came and went...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:28 - Apr 11 with 11411 viewsnoggin

Shout out to the market for the Y cardigan and stay pressed I bought in about 79.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:31 - Apr 11 with 11409 viewsazuremerlangus

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:28 - Apr 11 by noggin

Shout out to the market for the Y cardigan and stay pressed I bought in about 79.

I'll second that.

I bought two-tone trousers (Purple and green) from the same in 1980 when it was still on the Crown pools site. Didn't' have enough for a trilby hat (£5 was a lot of money those days...)

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:46 - Apr 11 with 11389 viewsClassicBlueTractor

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:31 - Apr 11 by azuremerlangus

I'll second that.

I bought two-tone trousers (Purple and green) from the same in 1980 when it was still on the Crown pools site. Didn't' have enough for a trilby hat (£5 was a lot of money those days...)

Footmans. (Before Debenhams)
Timothy Whites (now Boots)
Liptons (supermarket Chain)
Jontys (Men’s clothing the first ITFC David Johnson)
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:57 - Apr 11 with 11367 viewsemergencylime

I remember the excitement of getting a membership card from MVC (formerly C&A, now Wilkos) so i could get the cheaper price on CDs.
It was set up by ex-Our Price directors i think.
Then i worked at a different one and got Woolworths discount as they had the same owners.

Also fondly remember Virgin Records, Rex Records, Menzies and the Tandy next to Woolworths.

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:03 - Apr 11 with 11356 viewsazuremerlangus

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:46 - Apr 11 by ClassicBlueTractor

Footmans. (Before Debenhams)
Timothy Whites (now Boots)
Liptons (supermarket Chain)
Jontys (Men’s clothing the first ITFC David Johnson)

Liptons became/took over from Peachey's sports (can't remember which way round).

My Grandad worked in Meredith road Peachey's and then the above doing all the trophy engraving.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:27 - Apr 11 with 11318 viewsjaykay

i'm sure there was a shop called cheap jacks up where burger king is and then they moved to dog head street. they were one of the first to have beatle jackets and they also sold chelsea and cuban heel boots

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:27 - Apr 11 with 11320 viewsjontysnut

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:31 - Apr 11 by azuremerlangus

I'll second that.

Nickleby's further down towards St Matthews? Lois jeans and a pair of Pods. At the other end of the scale Mr Buyrite. I remember there was a book shop in the Carr precinct as it was and a music shop where I failed to learn how to play the electric organ. Newsteads next to Tower Ramparts used to sell bags of stales for about 2p for the school bus journey home
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:57 - Apr 11 with 11278 viewsitfcjoe

Can anyone remember when there was a big industrial sports shop out in Sproughton(?) retail park - maybe sports division?

Was mega cheap and stock from floor to ceiling, used to have a membership card to go and it was always packed.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024