Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood 12:51 - Mar 14 with 72433 viewswkj

Seems as J2 bought up that Toys R Us are crocked, it got me thinking about other shops in the town that were memorable for me as a child, the two that stick out the most are:

John Menzies (which then became HMV i think) as going up those stairs felt like the coolest thing, and it is the first place I ever saw a 1kg slab of cadburys at christmas.

Grimwades as they has a beautiful pork pie type dinner in their restaurant on the upper floors.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:15 - Apr 12 with 5727 viewsMerthyrblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:40 - Apr 12 by WeWereZombies

The Manor Ballroom was no rough house in the early to middle seventies but what a great venue. One of the best gigs I have ever been to happened there, Graham Parker and the Rumour. Also special mentions to Thin Lizzy, Man, Babe Ruth, Renaissance, Isotope. And the gig I most regret not going to in hindsight - Horslips. Even blagged my way past the door on the way back from a concert by Man at the Gaumont (having been given complimentary tickets in The Swan because so few had been sold) to see the final couple of songs by some unknown metal band called Judas Priest there.

We do seem to have veered off shops and childhood here, although if you are a Suffolk Boy I suppose childhood does last at least into your thirties.

I was at Babe Ruth and Isotope. Wish I had seen the others you mentioned. Also remember seeing Supertramp and Ronnie Lane at the Civic College
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:21 - Apr 12 with 5675 viewsazuremerlangus

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:58 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

That night club in the Buttermarket (pre-shopping centre) - name escapes me.

It wasn't a night club but a bar, I used it a fair bit, from memory I remember having to go up some stairs a bit but I think there might also have been another bar on the left as you go in - the memory fades.

Anyhoo, it was Limmers Tavern - AKA Dukes.

Dukes - that's the badger!

I remember the stairs now you mention it but my memory of the place is very vague too.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:31 - Apr 12 with 5660 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:21 - Apr 12 by azuremerlangus

Dukes - that's the badger!

I remember the stairs now you mention it but my memory of the place is very vague too.

At one point every Friday night was fight night with the Yanks, US Military police vehicles were always driving up and down.

They had two bouncers on the door before bouncers existed in pubs. It was the only pub I had trouble getting in, I was 16 at the time. Mother thought about my problem and noticed that the 5 in 1965 on my medical card could be changed to a 3 - which she did, after which I had no problems.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:46 - Apr 12 with 5644 viewsnorth_stand77

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:58 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

It wasn't a night club but a bar, I used it a fair bit, from memory I remember having to go up some stairs a bit but I think there might also have been another bar on the left as you go in - the memory fades.

Anyhoo, it was Limmers Tavern - AKA Dukes.

Just remembered the name of the nightclub in The Buttermarket, was The Bandbox!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:49 - Apr 12 with 5641 viewsjontysnut

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:24 - Apr 11 by WeWereZombies

Whoa, the Grey Green coach station. Always reminds me, because my Dad used to talk about it but I never knew him to take the coach, of McNamara's garage on, I think, Spring Road.

yep our next door neighbour was a mechanic at McNamara's. The bike shop on St Helens - Elmey's and Emeny's news next door. Gardiner's furniture in between was where my mum and dad bought units and suites.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:50 - Apr 12 with 5637 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:46 - Apr 12 by north_stand77

That was just before my time. Wasn't it just a pub though?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:56 - Apr 12 with 5625 viewsnorth_stand77

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:50 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

I used to go there and am fairly certain it was a nightclub as it was open till early hours, played music and had a dance floor (pubs had to close then at 10.30 midweek and 11pm on Friday and Saturday nights. 10pm Sunday's!!) And they had bouncers on the doors, which they idn't have at pubs at that time.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:57 - Apr 12 with 5624 viewsjontysnut

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:50 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

did it used to be a Berni Inn or something - I seem to remember my mum and dad taking me
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:15 - Apr 12 with 5607 viewsnorth_stand77

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:57 - Apr 12 by jontysnut

did it used to be a Berni Inn or something - I seem to remember my mum and dad taking me

The Berni Inn was a bit further down, probably where the entrance to the buttermarket shopping centre entrance is now.

Bernie was essentially a steak house. I was and still am a vegetarian which was virtually unheard of then. To eat there with a group of friends, I had to buy the steak with trimmings and give the steak to someone else as they wouldn't let me eat there unless I bought meat!! So I just had the accompaniments but was charged the same.

Had my first Irish coffee in there and thought it was very sophisticated.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:20 - Apr 12 with 5598 viewsBrentwoodBlagger

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:51 - Apr 12 by azuremerlangus

Remember the Manor but just before my time for nights out.

Earliest nights out for me involved (amongst many others):

The Swan - the starting pub.
Coach and Horses on Upper Brook Street.
The town house.
Crown and Anchor.The Running Buck/Canes (and the nightclub behind it)
The nightclub in the Carr Street shopping centre tower bit (Rumours?)

Pub crawls down the Norwich Road starting at the Maypole. The Safe Harbour was avoided because it was anything but. Rarely made it past the Inkerman...
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 10:56]

The night club upstairs in the Carr St precinct was The Affair Club
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:42 - Apr 12 with 5571 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:57 - Apr 12 by jontysnut

Ha. This is going back and forth and all the way up and down the street.

Pretty sure that Berni Inn was what later became (and previously mentioned) Limmers Tavern - AKA Dukes

Or am I thinking of Bella Italia?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:54 - Apr 12 with 5558 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:42 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

Ha. This is going back and forth and all the way up and down the street.

Pretty sure that Berni Inn was what later became (and previously mentioned) Limmers Tavern - AKA Dukes

Or am I thinking of Bella Italia?

Bella Italia (and before that it was Noble Romans) was on the opposite side of the street.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:02 - Apr 12 with 5545 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:54 - Apr 12 by WeWereZombies

Bella Italia (and before that it was Noble Romans) was on the opposite side of the street.

Oh dear, you may have whooshed yourself I'm afraid dear boy.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:02 - Apr 12 with 5547 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:46 - Apr 12 by north_stand77

A friend of mine was grabbed by the scruff of the neck in there just because we were thumping the table in appreciation of the band on stage (Peppibelli, which included some friends). It was still a very decent venue for local bands though. Always thought of it as a pub rather than a club as you came into it straight off the street, drinks were reasonably priced and no one on the door back in the mid seventies.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:06 - Apr 12 with 5536 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:02 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

I meant Noble Romans was on the opposite side of the street to the Berni steak house, if it is a whoosh it is a minor one, I have cocked up much worse on here in the past.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:07 - Apr 12 with 5531 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:06 - Apr 12 by WeWereZombies

I meant Noble Romans was on the opposite side of the street to the Berni steak house, if it is a whoosh it is a minor one, I have cocked up much worse on here in the past.

The self whoosh was a Bella Italia one.

I can't be bothered to explain, someone else may - or ask Dolly.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:13 - Apr 12 with 5529 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:15 - Apr 12 by Merthyrblue

I was at Babe Ruth and Isotope. Wish I had seen the others you mentioned. Also remember seeing Supertramp and Ronnie Lane at the Civic College

I must have somehow missed Supertramp at the Civic College, think I saw Ronnie Lane. The great thing about that venue was the really low prices. I saw Argent supported by Man, Hot Cottage and Skid Row (not the later American band, the Irish one with a young Gary Moore) for 40p. Down side was that the student association, which was responsible for booking acts, usually ran out of money before Christmas each academic year.

Other bands I saw there were Heads, Hands and Feet supported by Dr. Feelgood, The Pretty Things, Barclay James Harvest, Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, Genesis supported by Caravan and a Band Called O.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:36 - Apr 12 with 5486 viewsjontysnut

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:02 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

Was Pizzaland (?) on Carr St the first pizza place in town?
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:40 - Apr 12 with 5479 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:36 - Apr 12 by jontysnut

Was Pizzaland (?) on Carr St the first pizza place in town?

Pizzaland was pretty much where McDonalds is now from memory.

Mate of mine worked there.

Edit; You may be right, it may have been further up - on Carr Street.

Where has my mind gone?
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 17:42]

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:33 - Apr 12 with 5444 viewsLancsBlue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:46 - Apr 11 by Futurist8283

Andy's Records opened in 80/81 I remember some people skiving off school to go to the opening. It was very atmospheric in that ancient building in St Nicholas St.

I used to work in Andy's Records. Most fun I ever had with my clothes on....and the poorest pay.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:02 - Apr 12 with 5412 viewsjjblue84

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:24 - Mar 14 by blueislander

The Ancient House. - I assume it is not there any more.? The school uniform shop in my day was Edwards next to The Whote Horse. The record shop was in the Buttermarket , can't remember its name.

Of course it’s still there, it’s been there for centuries!!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:09 - Apr 12 with 5400 viewsKingOfPortmanRoad

Hey!!(don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet!)...anyone remember Lighters the newsagent on Carr st?? ............my parents were the ones that owned that and ran it for a good few years!😀. Oh yes!! Those were the good old days!!😀😀 (And when up there every week, I ecspecialy enjoyed my daily trips Upto Woolworths and John Menzies aswell!!😊😀

A Shah

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:11 - Apr 12 with 5393 viewscaught-in-limbo

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:02 - Apr 12 by jjblue84

Of course it’s still there, it’s been there for centuries!!

Is Manning's still in town? I last went there 20 years ago.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:13 - Apr 12 with 5385 viewsPJH

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:11 - Apr 12 by caught-in-limbo

and I expect they still talk about you in there.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:16 - Apr 12 with 5373 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:11 - Apr 12 by caught-in-limbo

Yeah. The old owner sold it relatively recently.

Due to location it ought to be the best pub in town by a mile but it’s never come close. It was average under the previous owner and by all accounts it’s torrid now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024