Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood 12:51 - Mar 14 with 72291 viewswkj

Seems as J2 bought up that Toys R Us are crocked, it got me thinking about other shops in the town that were memorable for me as a child, the two that stick out the most are:

John Menzies (which then became HMV i think) as going up those stairs felt like the coolest thing, and it is the first place I ever saw a 1kg slab of cadburys at christmas.

Grimwades as they has a beautiful pork pie type dinner in their restaurant on the upper floors.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:20 - Apr 12 with 5079 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:13 - Apr 12 by PJH

and I expect they still talk about you in there.

It's Lakeland Plastics (which I always think sounds like a class on ManU fans) now, isn't it?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:23 - Apr 12 with 5068 viewsPJH

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:20 - Apr 12 by WeWereZombies

It's Lakeland Plastics (which I always think sounds like a class on ManU fans) now, isn't it?

I was answering a question about Mannings(or I thought I was), somebody earlier mentioned The Ancient House which is now Lakeland.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:28 - Apr 12 with 5045 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:23 - Apr 12 by PJH

I was answering a question about Mannings(or I thought I was), somebody earlier mentioned The Ancient House which is now Lakeland.

Obviously past my bedtime, sorry.

Mannings was a decent pub in the early seventies, especially with that patio type bit at the side. When the Crown and Anchor went downmarket and started letting riff raff like me in then you had a nice drift down from there via Mannings and The Vaults to The Swan. Sometimes I even started out at The Queens Head...or The King William, and ended up at The Oxborrows or The Black Horse...or The Olive Leaf.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:38 - Apr 12 with 5030 viewsSonOfSpock

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:53 - Mar 14 by hype313

Red Eye Records, New Era, Trapeze, Phunk Chunk The Sport Shop next to Willy's and Milly's.

The sports shop seemed to be one of, if not the first shop to stock a lot of skateboards and associated equipment for us youngsters in the mid to late 80s who were the early adopters of the fad
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:54 - Apr 12 with 5001 viewsSonOfSpock

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:22 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

Not a childhood shop but I really miss Greens, the hardware / DIY store that was next to The Caribbean Club, actually I miss The Caribbean Club as well.

Used to go to karate classes on there, happy days.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:58 - Apr 12 with 4990 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:54 - Apr 12 by SonOfSpock

I used to go to the one on Bond Street - run by Billy Brannan???????

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:03 - Apr 12 with 4979 viewsPJH

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:58 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

I had a mate called Paul Mortimer(not sure of the spelling)who did Taekwondo I think with Billy Brannon-that would be in the very early 1970's so you would have been (much) too young to be there at that time.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:04 - Apr 12 with 4974 viewswellyblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:58 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

Mick Blackwell ran Bond St in the early '80's.
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:06 - Apr 12 with 4967 viewsnorth_stand77

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:13 - Apr 12 by WeWereZombies

I must have somehow missed Supertramp at the Civic College, think I saw Ronnie Lane. The great thing about that venue was the really low prices. I saw Argent supported by Man, Hot Cottage and Skid Row (not the later American band, the Irish one with a young Gary Moore) for 40p. Down side was that the student association, which was responsible for booking acts, usually ran out of money before Christmas each academic year.

Other bands I saw there were Heads, Hands and Feet supported by Dr. Feelgood, The Pretty Things, Barclay James Harvest, Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, Genesis supported by Caravan and a Band Called O.

I also went to the Genesis gig that night. I was 14. Peter Gabriel came on stage with a bright yellow flower shaped face mask ! I also saw the Hollies there about that time.

St Matthews St Baths was a great place to go for bands with its suspended floor - amazing that it never gave way with all the jumping around!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:12 - Apr 12 with 4955 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:03 - Apr 12 by PJH

I had a mate called Paul Mortimer(not sure of the spelling)who did Taekwondo I think with Billy Brannon-that would be in the very early 1970's so you would have been (much) too young to be there at that time.

It was Taekwondo that I did - I just couldn’t be bothered to spell it. Thinking about it it wasn’t run by the Billy bloke but he was always there. It was run by Mick Blackwell???

I didn’t last many months, they had a massive black bloke who took some lessons and he was a sadist. If you fcked up on something he would make you lay down and he would whack you as hard as he could in your stomach. Leroy was his name, or c*nt as I called him (under my breath).

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:21 - Apr 12 with 4942 viewsPJH

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:12 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

It was Taekwondo that I did - I just couldn’t be bothered to spell it. Thinking about it it wasn’t run by the Billy bloke but he was always there. It was run by Mick Blackwell???

I didn’t last many months, they had a massive black bloke who took some lessons and he was a sadist. If you fcked up on something he would make you lay down and he would whack you as hard as he could in your stomach. Leroy was his name, or c*nt as I called him (under my breath).

I googled Taekwondo to make sure I got the spelling right.

I think my mate was pretty good at it.
I remember he and I and a few others were on a pub crawl in Woodbridge one night and Big Mort" did one of his Taekwondo kicks stopping centimetres from my nose-not sure how pissed he and I were at that stage but I am glad his foot did not connect.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:32 - Apr 12 with 4923 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:04 - Apr 12 by wellyblue

Mick Blackwell ran Bond St in the early '80's.

Yes that’s him. Our posts overlapped. He was a nice guy.

Always wore the same red tracksuit. I would have gone around 82, after that I went back to Murrayside boxing when Frannie Peake had it.

After that I met birds and booze and other things and as they say - the writing was on the wall. I don’t think I could have self destructed worse. At least I have two brilliant kids out of it all who will do a lot better than me.

Edit. That reads a bit melodramatic. Hey kids, just trying to say that you should look after yourself and definitely not just abandon your body.

[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 21:46]

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:41 - Apr 12 with 4909 viewsjontysnut

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:54 - Apr 12 by SonOfSpock

I did some karate but it was usually on a Saturday night
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:45 - Apr 12 with 4900 viewscaught-in-limbo

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:13 - Apr 12 by PJH

and I expect they still talk about you in there.

I doubt it. I used to be really conformist.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:46 - Apr 12 with 4898 viewsMerthyrblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:13 - Apr 12 by WeWereZombies

I must have somehow missed Supertramp at the Civic College, think I saw Ronnie Lane. The great thing about that venue was the really low prices. I saw Argent supported by Man, Hot Cottage and Skid Row (not the later American band, the Irish one with a young Gary Moore) for 40p. Down side was that the student association, which was responsible for booking acts, usually ran out of money before Christmas each academic year.

Other bands I saw there were Heads, Hands and Feet supported by Dr. Feelgood, The Pretty Things, Barclay James Harvest, Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, Genesis supported by Caravan and a Band Called O.

Yep, friend of mine was the Student Association guy who did the bookings in 75/76
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:48 - Apr 12 with 4890 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:46 - Apr 12 by Merthyrblue

Yep, friend of mine was the Student Association guy who did the bookings in 75/76

Supertramp and Fleetwood Mac are probably the only two bands that I have wanted to see but failed.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:01 - Apr 12 with 4871 viewsMerthyrblue

Your Supertramp comment cast doubt on my memory of the Civic College gigs. Googled their tour history and they were at Gaumont on 13.12.75. Funny how the memory plays tricks.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:31 - Apr 12 with 4849 viewsDeano69

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:12 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

Lee Brade and Michelle (a chap) were superb martial artists. As were Mick and Billy, they used to do exhibitions with knives etc.

Another tall guy Steve (looked a bit like Steve Davis) was there during my time, joined the paras as I recall.

Great days, never fitter than I was then.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:54 - Apr 12 with 4838 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:01 - Apr 12 by Merthyrblue

Your Supertramp comment cast doubt on my memory of the Civic College gigs. Googled their tour history and they were at Gaumont on 13.12.75. Funny how the memory plays tricks.

Ah, I was at that one (as I boasted on one of eric's recent threads) - sorry Lucan, I have seen both Supertramp and Fleetwood Mac in Ipswich, the latter at the aforementioned (in NorthStand77's post above) Baths Hall. Just a few weeks after Led Zep packed it out but it was scarcely a third full for Mac (who were good if not great like Zep, this was without Peter Green and well before Buckingham Nicks but with Christine Perfect and Mick Fleetwood and John McVie were as solid a rhythm section as I have seen). Some other great gigs at The Baths Hall: Brinsley Schwarz supported by Kilburn and The High Roads, Nectar, Gong, Kraan, Focus, Stackridge.

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 23:48 - Apr 12 with 4812 viewsnorth_stand77

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:54 - Apr 12 by WeWereZombies

Ah, I was at that one (as I boasted on one of eric's recent threads) - sorry Lucan, I have seen both Supertramp and Fleetwood Mac in Ipswich, the latter at the aforementioned (in NorthStand77's post above) Baths Hall. Just a few weeks after Led Zep packed it out but it was scarcely a third full for Mac (who were good if not great like Zep, this was without Peter Green and well before Buckingham Nicks but with Christine Perfect and Mick Fleetwood and John McVie were as solid a rhythm section as I have seen). Some other great gigs at The Baths Hall: Brinsley Schwarz supported by Kilburn and The High Roads, Nectar, Gong, Kraan, Focus, Stackridge.

Do you remember Cosy Powell? Saw him at the Baths, the whole floor just shook! Talking of Flletwood Mac, am really looking forward to seeing g them in June.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 05:33 - Apr 13 with 4769 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 23:48 - Apr 12 by north_stand77

Do you remember Cosy Powell? Saw him at the Baths, the whole floor just shook! Talking of Flletwood Mac, am really looking forward to seeing g them in June.

Cozy Powell must have escaped my attention, or perhaps been early eighties (by which time I had moved to London)?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:12 - Apr 13 with 4723 viewsnorth_stand77

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 05:33 - Apr 13 by WeWereZombies

Cozy Powell must have escaped my attention, or perhaps been early eighties (by which time I had moved to London)?

Think it was 1974-75. Dance with the devil was performed brilliantly, with some of the crowd using metal beer trays to join in by bashing them against the mezzanine railings!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:47 - Apr 13 with 4686 viewsMerthyrblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:54 - Apr 12 by WeWereZombies

Saw Gong at Essex Student Union c1976. For some reason my memory of the evening is a bit hazy. Cant imagine why!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:27 - Apr 13 with 4664 viewsRomeo4

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 08:48 - Apr 11 by Futurist8283

Rovian (Queen St) and Mick McNeils (Tacket St) in the early 80s. which sports shop was at the top of High St near Crown St? I got my Adidas Samba from there in 83. Was it still Aldridges?

Any other sports shops in Ipswich in late 70s/early 80s?

Olympus Sports. Just across the road from Debenhams. Add that to McNeils, Peacheys, Brian Page and the decent sports department in Debenhams and Ipswich was well served for sports retailers. TWTD.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:37 - Apr 17 with 4556 viewsWonky

As a kid I thought Cleopatra's sold Egyptian stuff judging by the storefront 'display', never went in though.

That might of been interesting.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024