Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood 12:51 - Mar 14 with 72292 viewswkj

Seems as J2 bought up that Toys R Us are crocked, it got me thinking about other shops in the town that were memorable for me as a child, the two that stick out the most are:

John Menzies (which then became HMV i think) as going up those stairs felt like the coolest thing, and it is the first place I ever saw a 1kg slab of cadburys at christmas.

Grimwades as they has a beautiful pork pie type dinner in their restaurant on the upper floors.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:27 - Apr 18 with 2575 viewsPositivelyPortman

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 23:48 - Apr 12 by north_stand77

Do you remember Cosy Powell? Saw him at the Baths, the whole floor just shook! Talking of Flletwood Mac, am really looking forward to seeing g them in June.

The original Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green were a proper hard blues/rock band.
The later version with Buckingham and Nicks are a pop band - albeit a rather catchy pop band.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:28 - Apr 18 with 2531 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:47 - Apr 13 by Merthyrblue

Saw Gong at Essex Student Union c1976. For some reason my memory of the evening is a bit hazy. Cant imagine why!

Been trying to think why my list of bands I saw at Essex University seemed a bit limp (Quintessence, Starry Eyed and Laughing) and then remembered Can supported by Cheech and Chong - that one ended at four in the morning.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:21 - Apr 19 with 2481 viewsMerthyrblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:28 - Apr 18 by WeWereZombies

Been trying to think why my list of bands I saw at Essex University seemed a bit limp (Quintessence, Starry Eyed and Laughing) and then remembered Can supported by Cheech and Chong - that one ended at four in the morning.

Erm I was at Can as well. Getting concerned about how you and I spent our youth
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:25 - Apr 19 with 2471 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:21 - Apr 19 by Merthyrblue

Erm I was at Can as well. Getting concerned about how you and I spent our youth

Did you give someone a lift there on the back of a, I think, Honda?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:44 - Apr 22 with 2427 viewsMerthyrblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:25 - Apr 19 by WeWereZombies

Did you give someone a lift there on the back of a, I think, Honda?

Afraid not
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:49 - Jul 14 with 1912 viewsThrowback_Gamer

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:18 - Apr 11 by clive_baker

Ipswich had a Computer Magic too, it was near the bus station. That parade of shops where Sin is now.

Computer Magic was in Crown Street, (It formerly had BrainWave in there). I worked there briefly when I left school in 86. Huge turn around in staff as they always used YTS trainees and Co-Op trainees. They would usually ditch them after the trial. Al about the free staff I guess.

The ones in Doggs head street / Falcon Street were Soft Sellers or Computer connection (next to where Exchange bar currently is, Think its currently a beautician), but they were a few years later. The other one around the same time as Computer magic would have been Micro Management down near the Willis building. Also Ipswich Software Centre on St Mathews street which later became Software Plus.

Relating to a separate post, There was a sport shop on Tacket street called "Sports Shu" . I think it was associated with Mick McNeil when it used to be towards Gt Colman St. Possibly now Millys & Willys or a flower shop now. I don't get into town much these days!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:13 - Jul 14 with 1907 viewslongtimefan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:49 - Jul 14 by Throwback_Gamer

Computer Magic was in Crown Street, (It formerly had BrainWave in there). I worked there briefly when I left school in 86. Huge turn around in staff as they always used YTS trainees and Co-Op trainees. They would usually ditch them after the trial. Al about the free staff I guess.

The ones in Doggs head street / Falcon Street were Soft Sellers or Computer connection (next to where Exchange bar currently is, Think its currently a beautician), but they were a few years later. The other one around the same time as Computer magic would have been Micro Management down near the Willis building. Also Ipswich Software Centre on St Mathews street which later became Software Plus.

Relating to a separate post, There was a sport shop on Tacket street called "Sports Shu" . I think it was associated with Mick McNeil when it used to be towards Gt Colman St. Possibly now Millys & Willys or a flower shop now. I don't get into town much these days!

Pretty sure I recall Mick McNeils on Tacket Street before moving to Upper Brook St.

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned Martin & Newbys. You really could get anything hardware related there.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:12 - Feb 12 with 1503 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:57 - Apr 11 by itfcjoe

Can anyone remember when there was a big industrial sports shop out in Sproughton(?) retail park - maybe sports division?

Was mega cheap and stock from floor to ceiling, used to have a membership card to go and it was always packed.

Digging this up because I still can’t recall the name of the sports warehouse shop. Seem to remember needing some sort of membership card?

Wasn’t sports division - that was up in ransomes europark before it became JJB Sports (Now a sports direct)
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:30 - Feb 12 with 1480 viewsLord_Lucan

Is this thread a year old or longer - seems years ago

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:40 - Feb 12 with 1426 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:30 - Feb 12 by Lord_Lucan

Couple of years I think! Was trying to remember the name of the shop and Googled “Ipswich sports shop warehouse” and this thread came up as the second result!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:04 - Feb 12 with 1400 viewsJ2BLUE

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:30 - Feb 12 by Lord_Lucan

This thread makes me sad.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:23 - Feb 12 with 1372 viewsghostofescobar

Mintz and Davis

GhostOfEscobar

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:17 - Feb 12 with 1334 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:04 - Feb 12 by J2BLUE

This thread makes me sad.

Why?

Must admit I miss CIL

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:18 - Feb 12 with 1278 viewsWonky

Cleopatra's.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:28 - Feb 12 with 1266 viewsMalcolmBlue

Coes

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:56 - Feb 12 with 1240 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:28 - Feb 12 by MalcolmBlue

Coes

It's still there.

Unless of course, you mean that you don't live in Ipswich anymore.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:04 - Feb 12 with 1222 viewsVic

It’s not ipswich, but Andrew’s and Plumptons in Bury

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:24 - Feb 12 with 1215 viewsronnyd

Revetts, got all my motorbike stuff there. Had a store in Stow too.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 19:07 - Feb 12 with 1155 viewsElephantintheRoom

Cowbells and Jonty

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 19:12 - Feb 12 with 1150 viewsMattinLondon

Pargenters chippie on Camden Road. Excellent fish n chips.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 19:44 - Feb 12 with 1123 viewsMediocre_Quick

Woolworths, the pick and mix was goated
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 00:48 - Feb 13 with 1052 viewsEpiphone

Nightingales Toy Shop on the corner of Norwich Road and Granville Street.Floor to ceiling Airfix kits,Hornby and Scalextric, heaven to an 11 year old boy!
[Post edited 13 Feb 2022 23:12]
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 07:35 - Feb 13 with 1005 viewsdickie

I always long for the wonderful music shops of my yoof. Me and my mate used to make regular pilgrimages from Trimley to wonderful shops such as The Guitar Shop on Soane Street, Marks Music and East End Bargains on Felixstowe Road, Whitmores (later West End Music) on Norwich Road plus Rex Records and Andy's Records (usually to add to my burgeoning GN'R collection).

Coming from Felixstowe, Ipswich seemed so grand and cosmopolitan!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 07:40 - Feb 13 with 1004 viewsonceablue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:01 - Mar 14 by Lord_Lucan

Not really my childhood but I liked Mintz and Davies

and I miss the Snooker Hall

Ah the Lucania what a place the only thing they didn’t allow in that place was sitting on the table

Remember one evening game against West Ham they tried to get in there
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:51 - Aug 23 with 445 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:57 - Apr 11 by itfcjoe

Can anyone remember when there was a big industrial sports shop out in Sproughton(?) retail park - maybe sports division?

Was mega cheap and stock from floor to ceiling, used to have a membership card to go and it was always packed.

Barely a month goes by without me trying to remember the name of this place! I can picture it now. Felt more like a factory warehouse sale than a proper shop.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024