Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... 15:25 - Mar 14 with 7035 viewsitfcjoe

.....he put the reserves out at Old Trafford.

That was the beginning of the end - 23rd September 2015

Under Mick

Before then
P 133 W 59 D 36 L 38 - 1.60ppg, 1.38 goals pg

After then
P 121 W 42 D 36 L 43 - 1.34ppg, 1.12 goals pg

I'm sure there are other defining points, but that is when our home form fell of a cliff and it has never recovered.

Before that game under Mick we averaged 2 points per game at home (W39, D15, L12), since then it's 1.43 points per game (W23, D21, L17)
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 15:35]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:26 - Mar 14 with 4865 viewsFrimleyBlue

Southampton cup game for me.

won 5 or 6 going into that game.... dropped about 7 players for it

lost momentum

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:29 - Mar 14 with 4847 viewsFinidiCentenary

I was furious that night.

What a reward for the players who'd done so well for us in the previous season or so and instead we play the likes of Malarcyk, Yowerth, Coke and Toure. Luke Chambers, our captain, was rewarded by being an unused substitute.

We had a huge number of fans going there, paying good money to travel a long way and they were rewarded with a reserve team being easily beaten.

All for what? Is that extra 90 minutes really going to derail your league campaign?

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:31 - Mar 14 with 4828 viewstextbackup

Blackburn away 3-2 loss for me

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:31 - Mar 14 with 4834 viewsReuser_is_God

I go further back than that.

21st January 2015 Brighton 3 Ipswich 2

We would’ve gone top that night had we won but we proceeds to put in an extremely un-McCarthy like performance & I don’t think we’ve really been the same since.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:31 - Mar 14 with 4825 viewsKieran_Knows

Only to then draw 2-2 at home with Bristol City the following weekend.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:32 - Mar 14 with 4818 viewsKieran_Knows

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:31 - Mar 14 by Reuser_is_God

We would’ve gone top that night had we won but we proceeds to put in an extremely un-McCarthy like performance & I don’t think we’ve really been the same since.

We were a shambles defensively that night. Chris O'Grady ran us ragged ffs.

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:33 - Mar 14 with 4807 viewsFrimleyBlue

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/353505/dear-mick/#0

[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 15:34]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:36 - Mar 14 with 4796 viewsitfcjoe

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:31 - Mar 14 by Reuser_is_God

We managed to pick up after then though - I remember that game well, but for a cameo from Sears and Bishop who looked excellent of the bench we could have lost 4 or 5.

Login to get fewer ads

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:39 - Mar 14 with 4781 viewsSomethingBlue

Still think it's the Reading game really — which was only 12 days prior.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:40 - Mar 14 with 4765 viewsReuser_is_God

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:36 - Mar 14 by itfcjoe

We managed to pick up after then though - I remember that game well, but for a cameo from Sears and Bishop who looked excellent of the bench we could have lost 4 or 5.

Not on the road we didn’t, only won twice away from home after that.

I just felt that night we lost a bit of what had made us so good, I don’t know exactly what it was but I do feel that something changed that night.

Evans out

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:43 - Mar 14 with 4746 viewswkj

For me it was the winter transfer window when we were second, maybe not a MM error, but that is when my hope started to dwindle

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:43 - Mar 14 with 4743 viewsKieran_Knows

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:39 - Mar 14 by SomethingBlue

I think that result certainly saw Mick go back to basics and try make us hard to beat again (like the season he kept us up).

Have to agree with Joe and R_I_G about United and Brighton games though. I was at Brighton that night and as Reuser says, it felt like we lost a little something that night. Berra got given the run around/bullied by Chris O'Grady of all people, something which rarely happened with Berra.

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:44 - Mar 14 with 4734 viewsNo9

On the basis of MM's 'managerial career no one should have expected any real progress after year / season 3.
Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:47 - Mar 14 with 4724 viewsitfcjoe

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:39 - Mar 14 by SomethingBlue

Yep, what was just a poor performance with players not doing the basics right was over analysed as to throwing the baby out with the bathwater

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:48 - Mar 14 with 4721 viewsSteve_M

I think trying to change too much in the Summer of 2015 was the main cause. We lost the solidity and pressing that had underpinned the good stuff and we didn't become good enough on the ball to compensate.

Even after that and the Manchester United game we were still well placed in January - Brighton away, draw at Burnley, Leeds at home - then put in a poor performance against Preston.

You could also argue that QPR on Boxing Day was the turning point for home form this season: 21 goals in eight home league matches before that, two since.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:55 - Mar 14 with 4700 viewsPhilTWTD

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:48 - Mar 14 by Steve_M

I think trying to change too much in the Summer of 2015 was the main cause. We lost the solidity and pressing that had underpinned the good stuff and we didn't become good enough on the ball to compensate.

Even after that and the Manchester United game we were still well placed in January - Brighton away, draw at Burnley, Leeds at home - then put in a poor performance against Preston.

You could also argue that QPR on Boxing Day was the turning point for home form this season: 21 goals in eight home league matches before that, two since.

I think a lot of the signings in the summer of 2015 failing to make much of an impression was probably the turning point, if there was a moment as such. We didn't push on from the play-off season as a result and it's been more of a struggle as the league got tougher and richer around us as a result.
Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:58 - Mar 14 with 4681 viewschicoazul

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:48 - Mar 14 by Steve_M

Should have spent some or all of the Mings money, didnt.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 16:00 - Mar 14 with 4675 viewsReuser_is_God

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:58 - Mar 14 by chicoazul

Should have spent some or all of the Mings money, didnt.

We spent it, just extremely poorly.

Evans out

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 16:01 - Mar 14 with 4679 viewsReuser_is_God

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:55 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

I think a lot of the signings in the summer of 2015 failing to make much of an impression was probably the turning point, if there was a moment as such. We didn't push on from the play-off season as a result and it's been more of a struggle as the league got tougher and richer around us as a result.

It’s telling that only one of the players signed that summer is still here.

Evans out

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 16:20 - Mar 14 with 4632 viewschicoazul

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 16:00 - Mar 14 by Reuser_is_God

We spent it, just extremely poorly.

I think you know what I mean.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 16:26 - Mar 14 with 4605 viewsFixed_It

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:40 - Mar 14 by Reuser_is_God

Not on the road we didn’t, only won twice away from home after that.

I just felt that night we lost a bit of what had made us so good, I don’t know exactly what it was but I do feel that something changed that night.

A bit of belief went that night.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 16:44 - Mar 14 with 4562 viewsm14_blue

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:29 - Mar 14 by FinidiCentenary

What a reward for the players who'd done so well for us in the previous season or so and instead we play the likes of Malarcyk, Yowerth, Coke and Toure. Luke Chambers, our captain, was rewarded by being an unused substitute.

We had a huge number of fans going there, paying good money to travel a long way and they were rewarded with a reserve team being easily beaten.

All for what? Is that extra 90 minutes really going to derail your league campaign?

Didn't sit well with me at all either.

As an Ipswich fan I don't expect us to win every game, far from it, but I do expect us to try our best to win every game. Anything else makes a mockery of the fans and the sport.
Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 16:46 - Mar 14 with 4555 viewsFinidiCentenary

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 16:44 - Mar 14 by m14_blue

Didn't sit well with me at all either.

As an Ipswich fan I don't expect us to win every game, far from it, but I do expect us to try our best to win every game. Anything else makes a mockery of the fans and the sport.

The whole rotation guff is horrible. Play the best team you can and if a player is too knackered then replace them. Don't leave them out to stop them getting knackered.

Unless it's a cup final or a promotion decider you should never rest players.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 17:04 - Mar 14 with 4513 viewsITFC_Forever

A few notable landmarks in this thread that all loosely tie in to the summer / early autumn of 2015.
Failing to strengthen the PO squad, losing heavily to Reading and the Man U game which was followed up by a poor result at home to Bristol City.

This was the beginning of Sears being punted out on the left, which has ruined him.

Murphy stopped hitting the same heights as he did in 2014-15 (lack of service) and we missed Mings on the left.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 17:54 - Mar 14 with 4386 viewsblaggers

Things haven't been the same under Mick since..... on 15:29 - Mar 14 by FinidiCentenary

Totally agree with that. I hate his form for playing kids in cup games that we want to win.

For me though it was Lincoln at home. We were played off the park by a conference team. Twice.

Poll: What happens next?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024