Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans – how does he get away with it? 17:22 - Mar 14 with 3491 viewsBrightonEye

Please excuse this intrusion by a sympathetic outsider with Town-supporting STH friends…

Yes, we all know Marcus Evans owns the club - as a business. But it’s the supporters of Ipswich Town who own its soul. Events of recent times demonstrate that the concept of what a football club truly means to its local community has passed Evans by completely.

Just supposing another vital community hub — Ipswich Hospital, say, the library, or a famous old local school — had been taken over by one person, then neglected and left to decay slowly over ten years. Would that wealthy owner have been allowed to hide from the cameras, refuse all media interviews and shirk any personal accountability to the local public, for a period of TEN years? Of course not.

To those of us on the outside, the McCarthy stuff is just a sideshow — managers come and go at every club. It’s shocking that your local media seems too craven to target Marcus Evans and demand some accountability — and answers — from him.

The fans deserve that at least, and if the result of applying such pressure is the exclusion of media from Portman Road, then that’s a story of national interest that the supposedly PR-savvy Evans could most certainly do without.

What on earth is stopping them?
Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 17:31 - Mar 14 with 3450 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Its not been neglected though. He continues to subsidise the club and pay everyones wages.

Yes, the performances arent what we want, and he doesnt invest as much as some would like. But the reality is ME is accountable to no one, and he has not neglected the club.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 17:32 - Mar 14 with 3440 viewsPlums

Fear.
Fear that he pulls the plug and plunges us into the tailspin of administration again. At the moment, we’re slowly dying on the vine but at least there are still roots attached. We and he are too deep in the hole. It’s stalemate.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 17:38 - Mar 14 with 3409 viewsKeno

He's no Dick Knight thats for sure

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 17:38 - Mar 14 with 3411 viewsWestSussexBlue

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 17:31 - Mar 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its not been neglected though. He continues to subsidise the club and pay everyones wages.

Yes, the performances arent what we want, and he doesnt invest as much as some would like. But the reality is ME is accountable to no one, and he has not neglected the club.

Good point. If the next manager comes with a vision a plan and is allowed to invest wisely but primarily build around Bart Webster Kenlock Dozzell Huws and a sprinkling of experience and the football is decent nobody will give Evans any grief.
Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 20:37 - Mar 14 with 3215 viewsBloomBlue

If he didnt pay off the yearly debt you wouldnt have a club to put your soul into.
Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 20:45 - Mar 14 with 3193 viewspointofblue

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 20:37 - Mar 14 by BloomBlue

If he didnt pay off the yearly debt you wouldnt have a club to put your soul into.

It isn't about the money though - at least not for me. I respect that he puts £6m a year without return and he keeps the club afloat and cannot reasonably expect him to invest more.

It's the lack of communication which gets me. A weak five point plan basically using Sheepshanks' approach as a template, a confused MD who is not listened to, a decisive split between the fanbase and the management which is now bleeding into the playing squad... everything is toxic at the club which desperately needs a leader.

He needs to stand up and speak out. Why is he here, what does he want and how does he plan to get there? If he wants to keep Mick then fine (and that was difficult to type) but come out and give the club some stability either way.

It's basically mushroom management - we're kept in the dark and fed crap.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 20:45]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 22:16 - Mar 14 with 3093 viewsblueislander

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 20:45 - Mar 14 by pointofblue

It isn't about the money though - at least not for me. I respect that he puts £6m a year without return and he keeps the club afloat and cannot reasonably expect him to invest more.

It's the lack of communication which gets me. A weak five point plan basically using Sheepshanks' approach as a template, a confused MD who is not listened to, a decisive split between the fanbase and the management which is now bleeding into the playing squad... everything is toxic at the club which desperately needs a leader.

He needs to stand up and speak out. Why is he here, what does he want and how does he plan to get there? If he wants to keep Mick then fine (and that was difficult to type) but come out and give the club some stability either way.

That is a very good and reasonable post. There is no credible alternative to Evans' ownership of the club. As fans , I think we have made it clear that we are not happy with the type of football, and entertainment we are seeing , and the blame for this lies with the Manager. People warn that we should be careful what we wish for, but I would guess that an awful lot of us would take that risk. We do have players, admittedly one or two of them are not fit, that , if encouraged, would play in a way that would bring people back to watch the team.
Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 22:30 - Mar 14 with 3060 viewsSwansea_Blue

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 17:31 - Mar 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'd partially go along with that. He is subsidising the club. We know that. But you can argue that he is also letting it slip into decay either through insufficient funding and/or poor decision making. We are stagnant on the pitch. Everyone's commenting on the state of the ground, he's sold off the training ground, restructured staff in the club at the start which peed people off, etc.

It could well be a terrible analogy, but I'd compare us to the NHS. Yes the government (ME) is putting in more cash, but not at the levels needed (we're dropping down the £ table quickly) and it's compounded by wasteful management (PJ and Keane) and very poor PR leading to low moral. The staff (players) are doing what they can but ultimately don't have the support they need. So the end product is a bit crappy.

As I said, probably a terrible analogy. Maybe I should have said ME is the George Osborne of footie with his austerity approach.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 10:16 - Mar 15 with 2865 viewssoupytwist

I think that the local media are getting a bit of a raw deal in this. I've no doubt that people from the East Anglian Daily Times and other outlets (such as TWTD) have made repeated requests to speak to Evans. He just declines them. I'd be surprised to see someone like Phil or Stuart Watson doorstepping Evans and demanding answers, that would be counter productive from their point of view. We're no longer big enough, and nothing completely bonkers is happening (compared to clubs like Blackburn, Blackpool, Brighton, Coventry and others past and present) to get the attention of the nationals.

One thing that really gets me (and is reinforced by Turnstile Blues reposting this http://turnstileblues.co.uk/blog.aspx?nid=1112 from last August) is that Evans pays Milne presumably a good enough salary to act as the MD but Milne's out of his depth as far football is concerned. He could probably pay someone with a bit of club history a bit less and get much more out them as MD. I expect that Simon Milton had his faults but he could probably have replaced Milne for less money and at least we'd have someone in charge who knows what a football club is supposed to look like. Instead he was allowed to leave (or worse if you believe some of the rumours).
[Post edited 15 Mar 2018 10:16]
Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 10:20 - Mar 15 with 2851 viewsNo9

He doesn't pay off the debt yearly it is, according to the accounts accumulating - although his organisation rather than the club may bare the brunt of the whole debt
Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 11:27 - Mar 15 with 2783 viewsBrightonEye

Good to see the EADT (online edition, today) now going for Evans, and demanding that he "has to step up and speak out".

Be interesting to see how the club responds to that!
Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 11:36 - Mar 15 with 2763 viewsSteve_M

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 11:27 - Mar 15 by BrightonEye

Good to see the EADT (online edition, today) now going for Evans, and demanding that he "has to step up and speak out".

Be interesting to see how the club responds to that!

I read past the headline and then it was all about McCarthy and the on-pitch stuff. We'll get an eventual response about that next week. Perhaps.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 11:45 - Mar 15 with 2750 viewsFrimleyBlue

The yearly debt that he's increased?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 11:49 - Mar 15 with 2738 viewsFrimleyBlue

Marcus Evans — how does he get away with it? on 20:45 - Mar 14 by pointofblue

£6 Mill a year for a championship club is pretty crp though isn't it.

He's now worth over £850 Million

So that's 7% of effort for a club rich in history,

you can't own a championship club or any club and expect a return unless you put in more yourself. it's not gonna happen
[Post edited 15 Mar 2018 11:50]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024