Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No phone line fibre broadband 12:05 - Mar 20 with 1768 viewsunbelievablue

Anyone with experience of this? There's a few good offers with Virgin but I am reticent to accept that it will be as reliable without a phone line. How does it work?
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 12:06]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:12 - Mar 20 with 1735 viewsStirlingArcher

It simply doesn't use the phone line to connect, so you don't need one.

it uses a fibre optic cable that is pretty good.

Virgin themselves (as an ex-employee on the front line) support-wise are clueless wafflemuffins who don't know the difference between TCP and ISP

i hate to think how they cure a grazed knee with an ISP...
No phone line fibre broadband on 12:13 - Mar 20 with 1732 viewswkj

If i understand correctly it is becuase Virgin's Optic network is their own, so they dont need to piggyback the connection on the copper phone wires like Open Reach does, The Open Reach ISPs fibre comes in via the phone jack into the hub, where as Virgin is it's on coaxial cable line.

Word of warning about virgin, in Ipswich I have had terrible service with them (a couple of time had 4 days of outage without a fix), and much like a phone company they want to extend the contract any time you make a change.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:14 - Mar 20 with 1731 viewsunbelievablue

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:12 - Mar 20 by StirlingArcher

It simply doesn't use the phone line to connect, so you don't need one.

it uses a fibre optic cable that is pretty good.

Virgin themselves (as an ex-employee on the front line) support-wise are clueless wafflemuffins who don't know the difference between TCP and ISP

i hate to think how they cure a grazed knee with an ISP...

Ah, just seen they have their own fibre network. Given my experiences with OpenReach/BT, I am quite keen...

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:15 - Mar 20 with 1725 viewsunbelievablue

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:13 - Mar 20 by wkj

If i understand correctly it is becuase Virgin's Optic network is their own, so they dont need to piggyback the connection on the copper phone wires like Open Reach does, The Open Reach ISPs fibre comes in via the phone jack into the hub, where as Virgin is it's on coaxial cable line.

Word of warning about virgin, in Ipswich I have had terrible service with them (a couple of time had 4 days of outage without a fix), and much like a phone company they want to extend the contract any time you make a change.

Cheers. I really want to avoid BT to be honest.

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:22 - Mar 20 with 1714 viewswkj

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:15 - Mar 20 by unbelievablue

Ultimately the same problems seem to exist on both sides of the coin-

Both take a long time to visit you if its a tech fault in your line
Both advertise great download speeds, but upload speeds are awful
Both BT and Virgin have really infuriating customer service a lot of the time

I went from Virgin to Plus Net, in IP1, with a 78mb max speed, im getting more of an average speed on the OpenReach network, than I was while on the 300mb plan from Virgin, I think its because Virgin locally might be over subscribed as they were for the longest time the only Superfast provider for much of the town.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:33 - Mar 20 with 1699 viewshomer_123

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:22 - Mar 20 by wkj

Ultimately the same problems seem to exist on both sides of the coin-

Both take a long time to visit you if its a tech fault in your line
Both advertise great download speeds, but upload speeds are awful
Both BT and Virgin have really infuriating customer service a lot of the time

I went from Virgin to Plus Net, in IP1, with a 78mb max speed, im getting more of an average speed on the OpenReach network, than I was while on the 300mb plan from Virgin, I think its because Virgin locally might be over subscribed as they were for the longest time the only Superfast provider for much of the town.

As a BT customer, former PlusNet customer (BT sister company), former Orange customer and former Vodaphone customer for phone/ broadband.

I can safely say that PlusNet were the best in terms of customer support, BT were second and both of those were streets ahead of Orange and Vodaphone and I mean streets.

Only ever had 2 issues whilst with PlusNet and BT (one each), engineer visited within 24 hours of the call out on bot occasions. 1st faults with BT was actually internal wiring issue which is not BTs responsibility - engineer helped resolve the issue and then reported in a way that meant I didn't get charged. Second with PlusNet, again visit within 24 hours, line and equipment issue, line issues sorted within 2 days by which time new equipment arrived and a 25% discount on that months bill to cover lost time!

Just trying to get through to Orange or Vodaphone was a nightmare, let alone trying to get a fix, with Vodaphone, the main issue was dropping speeds on broadband - basically, every three months, speeds halved. No amount of turning off or on of equipment, settings changes resolved this, always required a visit to the local green box by engineer which invariable took weeks as deemed non-urgent. Fuffing mare.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

No phone line fibre broadband on 13:02 - Mar 20 with 1668 viewsunbelievablue

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:33 - Mar 20 by homer_123

As a BT customer, former PlusNet customer (BT sister company), former Orange customer and former Vodaphone customer for phone/ broadband.

I can safely say that PlusNet were the best in terms of customer support, BT were second and both of those were streets ahead of Orange and Vodaphone and I mean streets.

Only ever had 2 issues whilst with PlusNet and BT (one each), engineer visited within 24 hours of the call out on bot occasions. 1st faults with BT was actually internal wiring issue which is not BTs responsibility - engineer helped resolve the issue and then reported in a way that meant I didn't get charged. Second with PlusNet, again visit within 24 hours, line and equipment issue, line issues sorted within 2 days by which time new equipment arrived and a 25% discount on that months bill to cover lost time!

Just trying to get through to Orange or Vodaphone was a nightmare, let alone trying to get a fix, with Vodaphone, the main issue was dropping speeds on broadband - basically, every three months, speeds halved. No amount of turning off or on of equipment, settings changes resolved this, always required a visit to the local green box by engineer which invariable took weeks as deemed non-urgent. Fuffing mare.

Thanks for that, good to know.

No phone line fibre broadband on 15:19 - Mar 20 with 1602 viewsdickie

Having lived in properties in IP1, IP3 and IP4 all with Virgin I've had no problems with them with regards to speeds, consistent service etc. They're pretty dire when it comes to customer service though, and every year they try up the price (I simply phone up saying I'm leaving and usually end up paying the same or less than the previous year).

I'm fairly confident that I won't be going to BT any time soon (so much so that when we replastered everywhere I pulled out multiple BT phone points)
Login to get fewer ads

No phone line fibre broadband on 15:21 - Mar 20 with 1592 viewshype313

No phone line fibre broadband on 12:15 - Mar 20 by unbelievablue

Leaving BT to go to Virgin is jumping from frying pan into the fire.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

No phone line fibre broadband on 15:38 - Mar 20 with 1568 viewsNo9

Trying to get quality telecoms at sensible prices in East Anglia is like dabbling with black arts
No phone line fibre broadband on 19:00 - Mar 20 with 1507 viewsBurwell_Blue

Virgin are the best of the bunch. I’ve never had a fault with any internet provider in the past 20 years, not have I ever had cause to rung anyone’s customer service.

I have the 200Mb for £40 a month. Massive overkill, there are only 4 of us in the house but meh.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024