Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portman Road advice - best place for kids 23:20 - Mar 20 with 6043 viewsabingdon_blue

I'm in Suffolk over Easter so I'm going to take my two boys (aged 7 & 4) to Portman Road for their first visit for the game against Millwall (I know, probably not the best time to go!). Anyway, which stand and which area would you recommend for the best view, atmosphere etc so they might want to go again. Thanks in advance.
Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 23:26 - Mar 20 with 6023 viewsTractorboy24

I took my 4 year old boy to the Sheffield United cup match, he’s big for his age, but went in first row of Coop stand in the front row and ended up with him on my lap all game because he couldn’t see over the advertising boards. So would suggest 2nd row or further back if you do go lower tier, also to go south side so kids can get autographs etc.
Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 23:33 - Mar 20 with 5997 viewsStNeotsBlue

I normally take my kids lower CoOp/Pioneer towards the North so there is a bit of an atmosphere, kids can get autographs from the subs when they warm up. View is better in the upper tiers though, so the upper North is always a good option.
Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 23:58 - Mar 20 with 5974 viewsFreddies_Ears

Worth bearing in mind that officially you can't take under-5s into lower tiers!

You need to be in a dedicated family area to get the cheapest tickets for kids, which means middle or upper Co-Op Stand.
Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 00:12 - Mar 21 with 5950 viewsStNeotsBlue

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 23:58 - Mar 20 by Freddies_Ears

Worth bearing in mind that officially you can't take under-5s into lower tiers!

You need to be in a dedicated family area to get the cheapest tickets for kids, which means middle or upper Co-Op Stand.

No problem here. Just instruct the 4 year old to lie about their age, learning to lie about your age is a skill lost on a lot of youth due to the ID culture we find ourselves in. Sad days.

I miss the days of a bouncer asking your age and you'd just say your birthday minus a year or two and you'd be welcomed in.
Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 02:08 - Mar 21 with 5896 views12th_Man

I'd recommend not taking them they will thankyou for it

Poll: Would you like ITFC to sign Colchester's Kane Vincent-Young

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 06:48 - Mar 21 with 5813 viewsbluejacko

JJ block co-op lower plenty of room to move about if you don’t like the seats your in and closer to the SBR for what atmosphere there might be.
Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 07:26 - Mar 21 with 5777 viewsVic

You might not have much of a choice. Crowds are up and seats selling like hot cakes these days.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 07:28 - Mar 21 with 5777 viewsBloomBlue

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 00:12 - Mar 21 by StNeotsBlue

No problem here. Just instruct the 4 year old to lie about their age, learning to lie about your age is a skill lost on a lot of youth due to the ID culture we find ourselves in. Sad days.

I miss the days of a bouncer asking your age and you'd just say your birthday minus a year or two and you'd be welcomed in.

I agree, I believe the decline in school math grades is the result of not teaching kids to lie about their age
Login to get fewer ads

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 08:00 - Mar 21 with 5729 viewsTVRBlue

I would say definitely the Co-Op stand (old pioneer stand - even older the west stand!). This will give you and your boys easy access to the Fan Zone area behind this stand so there will be things your boys should enjoy watching/doing before the match. There are also different types of drinks and food available in the Fan Zone including tea, coffee, soft drinks for the children - not just beer! The boys could take a football and have a kick-about on the practice pitch!

If getting player autographs is something your lads would like then I'm sure they could get access to the front of the Co-Op stand lower tier pre-match when the players do their warm-up so hopefully would get autographs there.

Seating for the match I would suggest trying to get front row tickets (if available?) on the middle tier of the Co-Op stand near the Sir Alf Ramsey end of the stand. This will give a great view for your boys for when the teams come out of the tunnel together with all the flag waving/guard of honour type of thing that happens. As well as that you'd be able to point out the manager/subs and stuff like that if you want. I think this might be a better atmosphere than the North Stand end of the Co-Op stand which might not, depending on the type of performance/entertainment that happens on the pitch, be so enjoyable for a 4 and 7 year old!

Anyway, rambled a bit but hope you and your boys enjoy their first visit.
Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 08:48 - Mar 21 with 5679 viewsfactual_blue

The play area in Alderman Park

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 08:55 - Mar 21 with 5672 viewsBrianTablet

Why not loan your kid out to a lower league family, where he will do splendidly, then stick him in the cupboard under the stairs for a while (bring him out for tricky social occasions, like family funerals, etc) before selling him to a family in the same street for a knock-down price?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 10:20 - Mar 21 with 5605 viewsCurrie10

Still don't get why people bother paying full price for away days.

Under 19 was a nice £8 instead of £25 - thanks Bristol City.

Thanks bar code culture / trust in football grounds. Laughable.
Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 10:42 - Mar 21 with 5590 viewssimoitfc

It will be pretty empty I suggest furthest away from Millwall fans not because of the reptuition just to be out of earshot of the bad language
Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 11:01 - Mar 21 with 5572 viewshype313

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 08:48 - Mar 21 by factual_blue

The play area in Alderman Park

What's worse, your kids clinically depressed after 90 minutes in the ground or becoming dependent on Crack after 90 minutes on alderman road?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 12:31 - Mar 21 with 5539 viewsjontysnut

at a theme park we stuffed the heels of our daughter's shoes with tissues so she passed the height barrier thing.
Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 13:12 - Mar 21 with 5506 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 06:48 - Mar 21 by bluejacko

JJ block co-op lower plenty of room to move about if you don’t like the seats your in and closer to the SBR for what atmosphere there might be.

Don't get tickets too close to the home dugout though unless you want your kids to learn an array of expletives courtesy of MM and TC - worse than in lower north or near away end......not sure those 2 can string a sentence/instruction to players together without ffing and blinding....

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 21:50 - Mar 21 with 5391 views3_5_2

wherever you don't forget to go behind the coop stand after the match and get autogrpahs and selfies fro the players most are really kind and happy to do it (my daughter calls them "Chambo, Wardy, Bart etc") which always make me laugh

they come out right by the reception area usually within 20 minutes or so

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Portman Road advice - best place for kids on 09:16 - Mar 22 with 5301 viewsCurrie10

Probably the away end.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024