Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78094 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
on 18:35 - Mar 24 with 3978 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 17:58 - Mar 24 by Ryorry

Jeez - and you pulled me up for being patronising the other week because I said to someone that I appreciated them being careful when overtaking horses on the road!

You didn't ask the OP where he got his dosh for a pricey watch from did you, so why did you ask Rommy where he got the money for his betting from?

Looking to buy a watch on 18:41 - Mar 24 with 3962 viewsJ2BLUE

on 18:35 - Mar 24 by _

That bitter jealous streak is really unbecoming mate.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looking to buy a watch on 19:28 - Mar 24 with 3920 viewsRyorry

"Pull dosh out of thin air"
"Spunk it on the horses"
"Then spend a good portion of his free time telling strangers about it".

I've rarely heard such judgemental comments on here as those.

And who said this at 13:30pm today?
"Because despite the fact you stated that it's up to individuals how they spend their money you've also made some pretty daft comments with contradict that statement."

and this at 14.42 today?
"Maybe a more pertinent question would be why you felt you needed to make the kind of comments about someone owning an expensive watch on a thread started by someone who was asking for advice on purchasing an expensive watch?".

Oh right, it was you. No doubt there are more such double standards further back in the thread, but I cba to look.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Looking to buy a watch on 19:42 - Mar 24 with 3892 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

You don’t realise Libby but you can be quite spiteful at times.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Looking to buy a watch on 19:46 - Mar 24 with 3885 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Looking to buy a watch on 11:29 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

It's not something I do regularly and IS something I consider a treat. You're missing the point about normality. It's normal as in THAT'S WHAT IT IS. That IS the price (and often more) in central London restaurants. There's no discussion on whether it's normal or not. It's a fact.

I appreciate other people can't afford that but that's a million miles away from the point.

People having treats within their means is one thing. It's a meal. We have to eat. It's just nice having a really good one, compared to what you're used to, sometimes. I wouldn't begrudge a wealthy person paying way more than that for their own version of a treat.

That's a million miles away from someone spending thousands on a watch. Someone above was talking about £10k for a watch. That is OBSCENE IMO. The £90 meal is likely worth that price compared to a meal in McDonalds. How can you justify that the £10k watch is THAT much better than Ryorry's £30 watch? They both do exactly the same thing. Glassers has even admitted that Rolex's aren't even very good at telling the time. THEIR ONE JOB!!

Frankly, I'm struggling to see how YOU'RE struggling to see the difference.

Having a nice meal isn't a status symbol that you show off to others. Only the person or people you're with (plus the waiter) sees it. A flashy watch isn't even there for the necessity of telling the time (we all have a phone that does that). It's purely there for SHOW. That's the difference. I don't eat a nice meal for show.

It's interesting that TWTD, once again, descends into an ad hominem argument. I had a nice meal once, so I can't say spending thousands on a watch is wrong. I write Haribo ads, so I can't say McDonalds food isn't healthy. I think "No ad hominem argumentative strategies" should be in Phil's Ts & Cs for this site!

Ignoring the silliness that has ensued and pointless McDonalds/Haribo argument that is irrelevant to the point, I still think you’re way out on this one. I will refrain from random CAPITALS in my response though

Yes we all need to eat, but we don’t need to eat £90 meals (for two, I know) at nice restaurants. Indeed you could have gone to the Nando’s that is 2 minutes away for £30, one of the fast food joints nearby for a tenner, or indeed made something at home for a fraction of that cost. Fact is you quite reasonably chose to treat yourself to a nice meal

Similarly, for the need of telling the time (which may not be a physiological need like eating but I’m sure we can agree is fairly essential for any adult in 2018) various options exist. You can choose to buy a cheap, basic timepiece but some people will decide they want something much nicer and spend much more

As for being a status symbol, plenty of posters have given numerous reasons why they may choose a more expensive watch in this thread - not to mention the fact that the real cost is mitigated on some models by then holding their value

I could also point out that you weren’t shy about going on about your meal, so hardly just between the people you list!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Looking to buy a watch on 19:47 - Mar 24 with 3882 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Looking to buy a watch on 12:05 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

Thousands of pounds for a watch isn't the norm. If you go out for a decent meal and drinks in central London, £90 for two is quite normal. If i lived in Hartlepool I wouldn't have to pay that for a decent meal. But I don't. I live in London.

"People need to tell the time" is an argument I've already dealt with. You have a phone with the time on it. I've not worn a watch in 25 years but I'm still able to tell the time. Then again a £30 watch tells the time just as well as a watch costing thousands. How do you justify that difference? Does it really look that much nicer? "Beautifully crafted"? One linked to on this thread that I looked at was very plain.

"Extortionate meal". Again something I've already dealt with. £90 for a 3 course meal with decent wine for two people isn't extortionate.

I don't think you quite grasp what ad hominem is and what hypocrisy is. It is perfectly acceptable for someone to spend £90 on above said meal and at and the same time think that thousands on a wrist-based status symbol is ridiculous. They are so far apart your hypocrisy accusation is ridiculous.

What phone do you have btw?

Looking to buy a watch on 19:49 - Mar 24 with 3881 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Looking to buy a watch on 13:04 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

"I certainly don't ever look at a man and think "My God, he is wearing a Rolex, he must have a lot of money!""

There's only really three things you could think if seeing a man wearing a Rolex I guess - he's either rich, it's a fake, or he's a drug dealer.

"However people spend their money is entirely up to them"

FFS, why do people keeping putting this in replies to me?! I've said this about 100 times in this thread. Garrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

It’s probably because you’ve then described their use of their money as vulgar, obscene and other similar derogatory comments...

on 20:33 - Mar 24 with 3844 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 19:28 - Mar 24 by Ryorry

"Pull dosh out of thin air"
"Spunk it on the horses"
"Then spend a good portion of his free time telling strangers about it".

I've rarely heard such judgemental comments on here as those.

And who said this at 13:30pm today?
"Because despite the fact you stated that it's up to individuals how they spend their money you've also made some pretty daft comments with contradict that statement."

and this at 14.42 today?
"Maybe a more pertinent question would be why you felt you needed to make the kind of comments about someone owning an expensive watch on a thread started by someone who was asking for advice on purchasing an expensive watch?".

Oh right, it was you. No doubt there are more such double standards further back in the thread, but I cba to look.

Login to get fewer ads

on 20:34 - Mar 24 with 3837 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 18:41 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

That bitter jealous streak is really unbecoming mate.

Looking to buy a watch on 20:39 - Mar 24 with 3830 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 19:46 - Mar 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Ignoring the silliness that has ensued and pointless McDonalds/Haribo argument that is irrelevant to the point, I still think you’re way out on this one. I will refrain from random CAPITALS in my response though

Yes we all need to eat, but we don’t need to eat £90 meals (for two, I know) at nice restaurants. Indeed you could have gone to the Nando’s that is 2 minutes away for £30, one of the fast food joints nearby for a tenner, or indeed made something at home for a fraction of that cost. Fact is you quite reasonably chose to treat yourself to a nice meal

Similarly, for the need of telling the time (which may not be a physiological need like eating but I’m sure we can agree is fairly essential for any adult in 2018) various options exist. You can choose to buy a cheap, basic timepiece but some people will decide they want something much nicer and spend much more

As for being a status symbol, plenty of posters have given numerous reasons why they may choose a more expensive watch in this thread - not to mention the fact that the real cost is mitigated on some models by then holding their value

I could also point out that you weren’t shy about going on about your meal, so hardly just between the people you list!

1. The capitals were merely to emphasise certain points.

2. The scales here are hugely different. The £90 isn't that far away from the £30 in your example. With the watches we're talking thousands of pounds (I've seen £10k mentioned in this thread) versus £14. How people justify that difference is beyond me.

3. I dispute some of the reasons given by numerous posters (and have said so earlier). Do they really buy it as an investment? Seems to me there are much better ways of investing your money. Let's be honest here, most people buy a very expensive watch for it to be seen.

4. Re me "going on about" my meal, you are incorrect. I wrote a restaurant review (as I have a few times on these pages) and I mentioned the price once. Benters, in particular, jumped on it and it's actually he (and a few others) who regularly bring it up. Not me. If people do something he doesn't do, he doesn't understand it, and goes on and on and on about it. See also: rucksacks.

I think spending thousands on a watch is excessive, vulgar and 'look at me - I'm rich'. I don't think spending £90 on a meal and drinks for two in a nice restaurant in central London is any of these things. If you don't agree then we'll have to agree to disagree. I suspect lots of people would agree with me but are shy in coming forward. Certainly people who live in London, more so.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 20:41 - Mar 24 with 3826 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 19:47 - Mar 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

What phone do you have btw?

I have a Huawei p10 lite.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 20:41 - Mar 24 with 3826 viewsRyorry

on 20:33 - Mar 24 by _

Yes, and you replied with an answer which showed you up for what you are - on this forum anyway.

on 20:45 - Mar 24 with 3810 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 20:41 - Mar 24 by Ryorry

Yes, and you replied with an answer which showed you up for what you are - on this forum anyway.

Looking to buy a watch on 20:46 - Mar 24 with 3802 viewsJ2BLUE

on 20:34 - Mar 24 by _

You constantly bang on about not having what he has at his age, that he doesn't have a job (he does gardens) and you take shots that he dares talk about one of his interests on here to an audience willing to listen. There are plenty of racing fans on here. Other people could try something truly revolutionary and not click on the thread. You come across extremely bitter.

Are you happy? Not taking the piss, genuinely asking. You haven't seemed very happy lately. Hope everything is ok with you.

Truly impaired.

Looking to buy a watch on 20:51 - Mar 24 with 3786 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 20:45 - Mar 24 by _

Wow, you have people PMing you about threads you should go and police? That's very strange. Newcy ought to spend his time looking out for icebergs and pirates IMO.

For a thread that was supposedly funny you don't appear to have got much humour out of it.

on 20:53 - Mar 24 with 3780 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 20:46 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

You constantly bang on about not having what he has at his age, that he doesn't have a job (he does gardens) and you take shots that he dares talk about one of his interests on here to an audience willing to listen. There are plenty of racing fans on here. Other people could try something truly revolutionary and not click on the thread. You come across extremely bitter.

Are you happy? Not taking the piss, genuinely asking. You haven't seemed very happy lately. Hope everything is ok with you.

Looking to buy a watch on 20:58 - Mar 24 with 3765 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Looking to buy a watch on 20:39 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

1. The capitals were merely to emphasise certain points.

2. The scales here are hugely different. The £90 isn't that far away from the £30 in your example. With the watches we're talking thousands of pounds (I've seen £10k mentioned in this thread) versus £14. How people justify that difference is beyond me.

3. I dispute some of the reasons given by numerous posters (and have said so earlier). Do they really buy it as an investment? Seems to me there are much better ways of investing your money. Let's be honest here, most people buy a very expensive watch for it to be seen.

4. Re me "going on about" my meal, you are incorrect. I wrote a restaurant review (as I have a few times on these pages) and I mentioned the price once. Benters, in particular, jumped on it and it's actually he (and a few others) who regularly bring it up. Not me. If people do something he doesn't do, he doesn't understand it, and goes on and on and on about it. See also: rucksacks.

I think spending thousands on a watch is excessive, vulgar and 'look at me - I'm rich'. I don't think spending £90 on a meal and drinks for two in a nice restaurant in central London is any of these things. If you don't agree then we'll have to agree to disagree. I suspect lots of people would agree with me but are shy in coming forward. Certainly people who live in London, more so.

To counter those points:

2: Your scales are not like for like though - the watches you are comparing are right at the bottom vs top end whilst food is a low range sit down vs mid range. The food equivalent would actually probably be more like a home microwave meal vs going to the Fat Duck, for which you’d see a similar scale

3: I think you’ve misunderstood the investment point. Main driver seems to be that they like the watch - but the investment aspect helps justify making a purchase that would otherwise potentially be prohibitive. One only needs to see some of the advice given to Jake to see that. Also the whole disputing reasons people give for their purchases kind of gives the vibe that you’d already made your mind up on the matter regardless of what anyone has to say

4: That’s no different to whats happened here though. For all your comments about showing off wealth, the only reason you know what watches posters have is because someone asked for advice and they shared their experiences with them

on 20:59 - Mar 24 with 3765 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 20:51 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

Wow, you have people PMing you about threads you should go and police? That's very strange. Newcy ought to spend his time looking out for icebergs and pirates IMO.

For a thread that was supposedly funny you don't appear to have got much humour out of it.

Looking to buy a watch on 21:00 - Mar 24 with 3763 viewsRyorry

on 20:45 - Mar 24 by _

I'm accurate. And I don't like seeing people getting unjustifiably picked on, by you or anyone else. If you find that boring, that's your problem.

on 21:01 - Mar 24 with 3756 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 21:00 - Mar 24 by Ryorry

I'm accurate. And I don't like seeing people getting unjustifiably picked on, by you or anyone else. If you find that boring, that's your problem.

Looking to buy a watch on 21:01 - Mar 24 with 3753 viewseireblue

on 20:59 - Mar 24 by _

Vegan and watches you say,

https://lian-mez.com/
Looking to buy a watch on 21:04 - Mar 24 with 3744 viewsJ2BLUE

on 20:53 - Mar 24 by _

Just calling it as I see it you dick head or something!

[thanks for clarifying, glad you're doing well]

Truly impaired.

Looking to buy a watch on 21:20 - Mar 24 with 3708 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 20:58 - Mar 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

To counter those points:

2: Your scales are not like for like though - the watches you are comparing are right at the bottom vs top end whilst food is a low range sit down vs mid range. The food equivalent would actually probably be more like a home microwave meal vs going to the Fat Duck, for which you’d see a similar scale

3: I think you’ve misunderstood the investment point. Main driver seems to be that they like the watch - but the investment aspect helps justify making a purchase that would otherwise potentially be prohibitive. One only needs to see some of the advice given to Jake to see that. Also the whole disputing reasons people give for their purchases kind of gives the vibe that you’d already made your mind up on the matter regardless of what anyone has to say

4: That’s no different to whats happened here though. For all your comments about showing off wealth, the only reason you know what watches posters have is because someone asked for advice and they shared their experiences with them

2. I dunno what the Fat Duck is... but even then I assume the difference in prices is nowhere near what we're talking in the difference between watches.

3. Fine. I'll concede this one.

4. It's vastly different to what's happened here. I'm not talking specifically about people who have revealed what watches they have here, I'm talking in general about people out in the real world.

A fancy watch seems to me to be someone saying, "Look at me, look how successful I am". There are other drivers, as has been mentioned, but this seems to be the over-riding one. Having a fancy meal isn't remotely comparable price-wise, and isn't saying, "Look at me" because unless you go around wearing an "I just had a £90 meal" t-shirt, no-one is going to know.

Looking to buy a watch on 21:25 - Mar 24 with 3698 viewsThrobbe

Well, if we can't agree on anything else, I'm sure we can all be thankful that everyone involved in this thread has emerged with their dignity intact.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Looking to buy a watch on 21:27 - Mar 24 with 3697 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 20:59 - Mar 24 by _

Yeah "police". You've admitted you had nothing to offer to the debate, so you only seem to have come in to tell me how I'm posting wrong.

"I flicked through it and got dragged in". LOL. You didn't get dragged in. You saw me posting and decided to correct me. No-one dragged you in to anything.

It seems to me, though, you DO have something to add to the debate, and shock-horror you seem to agree with me after all this! "Personally I'm not down for that kind of keeping up with the Jones' stuff" is a shortened, watered down version of exactly what I've been saying!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024