Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78072 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
Looking to buy a watch on 21:31 - Mar 24 with 4198 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 21:25 - Mar 24 by Throbbe

Well, if we can't agree on anything else, I'm sure we can all be thankful that everyone involved in this thread has emerged with their dignity intact.

Well here's the point that some Victor Mature smart-arse has come to tell us how he's above all this sort of thing, so that must mean we're nearing the end of the thread. Cheers everyone, well played. See you again next week.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 21:33 - Mar 24 with 4190 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 21:25 - Mar 24 by Throbbe

Well, if we can't agree on anything else, I'm sure we can all be thankful that everyone involved in this thread has emerged with their dignity intact.

Say it how it is.. Libby’s come across like an absolute tool. Spent the last four pages trying to get a rise out of Dolly.. then Ryorry... then me... then J2. It’s been so obvious that even I’ve seen through it

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Looking to buy a watch on 21:36 - Mar 24 with 4190 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 21:33 - Mar 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Say it how it is.. Libby’s come across like an absolute tool. Spent the last four pages trying to get a rise out of Dolly.. then Ryorry... then me... then J2. It’s been so obvious that even I’ve seen through it

He didn't want to though. He was dragged in, kicking and screaming.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 21:42 - Mar 24 with 4182 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Looking to buy a watch on 21:20 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

2. I dunno what the Fat Duck is... but even then I assume the difference in prices is nowhere near what we're talking in the difference between watches.

3. Fine. I'll concede this one.

4. It's vastly different to what's happened here. I'm not talking specifically about people who have revealed what watches they have here, I'm talking in general about people out in the real world.

A fancy watch seems to me to be someone saying, "Look at me, look how successful I am". There are other drivers, as has been mentioned, but this seems to be the over-riding one. Having a fancy meal isn't remotely comparable price-wise, and isn't saying, "Look at me" because unless you go around wearing an "I just had a £90 meal" t-shirt, no-one is going to know.

The Fat Duck - Heston’s flagship restaurant, £325 per head plus service charge and drinks. So compared to a £2.50 meal at home I’d say the comparison is quite apt

I can’t say I’ve ever seen someone in the real world stood there waving their watch around or drawing attention to them - but maybe I don’t go to those places

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Looking to buy a watch on 21:45 - Mar 24 with 4182 viewsNewcyBlue

on 18:35 - Mar 24 by _

Come on mate, a lot of people have made decent money based on Rommers reports / forecasts / advice.

He did also state that a lot of money he used was in free bets.

I reckon most lads Rommers age would spend stupid money going on a lads holiday, he hasn’t and is healthier for it. He also has the self awareness to know he wanrs a break. I would say he has it entirely under control.

As young lads go I think Rommers has got it screwed on. You’re being unnecessarily harsh here.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Looking to buy a watch on 21:53 - Mar 24 with 4162 viewsNewcyBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 20:51 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

Wow, you have people PMing you about threads you should go and police? That's very strange. Newcy ought to spend his time looking out for icebergs and pirates IMO.

For a thread that was supposedly funny you don't appear to have got much humour out of it.

Go and police?

No it was more like

“Have you seen that watch thread? Dollers is arguing with anyone and everyone again. That’s rather amusing”.

When in fact it’s been an interesting thread at times, I knew a little bit about watch investments, but never knew how much you needed to spend.

Healy has been replying to you quite civilly, yet your tone comes across as rather aggresssive. You’l bat it off as jesting or some sort of comedy writing.

You’ve said your piece and should have left it there, people disagreed.

Libby started to come across as a berk later on in the thread, I make him wrong about Rommy.

on 21:54 - Mar 24 with 4161 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 21:27 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah "police". You've admitted you had nothing to offer to the debate, so you only seem to have come in to tell me how I'm posting wrong.

"I flicked through it and got dragged in". LOL. You didn't get dragged in. You saw me posting and decided to correct me. No-one dragged you in to anything.

It seems to me, though, you DO have something to add to the debate, and shock-horror you seem to agree with me after all this! "Personally I'm not down for that kind of keeping up with the Jones' stuff" is a shortened, watered down version of exactly what I've been saying!

Looking to buy a watch on 21:56 - Mar 24 with 4148 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 21:53 - Mar 24 by NewcyBlue

Go and police?

No it was more like

“Have you seen that watch thread? Dollers is arguing with anyone and everyone again. That’s rather amusing”.

When in fact it’s been an interesting thread at times, I knew a little bit about watch investments, but never knew how much you needed to spend.

Healy has been replying to you quite civilly, yet your tone comes across as rather aggresssive. You’l bat it off as jesting or some sort of comedy writing.

Libby started to come across as a berk later on in the thread, I make him wrong about Rommy.

Uppie for the last bit

Login to get fewer ads

Looking to buy a watch on 22:19 - Mar 24 with 4133 viewsJ2BLUE

on 21:54 - Mar 24 by _

I highly recommend the last one I had

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looking to buy a watch on 22:47 - Mar 24 with 4107 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 21:42 - Mar 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The Fat Duck - Heston’s flagship restaurant, £325 per head plus service charge and drinks. So compared to a £2.50 meal at home I’d say the comparison is quite apt

I can’t say I’ve ever seen someone in the real world stood there waving their watch around or drawing attention to them - but maybe I don’t go to those places

A quite apt comparison? Really?

The Heston meal (which I imagine is many MANY times tastier and more nutritious than a microwave meal, and is in a nice setting) is £322.50 more expensive than your microwave meal.

The top watch we've talked about on here (I'm sure there are many more expensive ones out there) is around £10k. That's £9986 more expensive than Ryorry's watch.

Bit of a difference I'd say!

Looking to buy a watch on 22:58 - Mar 24 with 4095 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 21:53 - Mar 24 by NewcyBlue

Go and police?

No it was more like

Why did you feel the need to tell Libbers that "Dollers is arguing with anyone and everyone again." Do you enjoy causing rows?
Were you lighting the fuse and waiting to see what happened?

Seems rather odd. Have a word with me yourself if you want, rather than sending Libbers in. Or allow Libbers to find the thread and comment of his own free will.

You sound like a gossip trying to set up a fight in the playground after school.

I like how once again it's "Dollers causing rows" - yet the truth is YOU'VE sent Libbers in knowing he'll have a pop, various people haven't liked my opinion (that's all it is) and have had a pop. Why is me having an opinion and then defending my position "Dollers arguing with everyone"?

I don't think my tone has been aggressive. Feel free to point out where it is and I'll consider it.

Why should I have "left it there"? If people respond to me I do them the courtesy of responding back. If I don't I'm accused of swerving!

Looking to buy a watch on 23:07 - Mar 24 with 4085 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 21:54 - Mar 24 by _

As I've already said, a debate developed from his query, as often does. You can deny it if you like, but it's all there and you've just added to it. It was a fairly civil debate for the most part as well.

Perhaps you haven't read the whole thread and just steamed in like the cavalry at the end of a Western?

Looking to buy a watch on 23:44 - Mar 24 with 4060 viewsNewcyBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 22:58 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

Why did you feel the need to tell Libbers that "Dollers is arguing with anyone and everyone again." Do you enjoy causing rows?
Were you lighting the fuse and waiting to see what happened?

Seems rather odd. Have a word with me yourself if you want, rather than sending Libbers in. Or allow Libbers to find the thread and comment of his own free will.

You sound like a gossip trying to set up a fight in the playground after school.

I like how once again it's "Dollers causing rows" - yet the truth is YOU'VE sent Libbers in knowing he'll have a pop, various people haven't liked my opinion (that's all it is) and have had a pop. Why is me having an opinion and then defending my position "Dollers arguing with everyone"?

I don't think my tone has been aggressive. Feel free to point out where it is and I'll consider it.

Why should I have "left it there"? If people respond to me I do them the courtesy of responding back. If I don't I'm accused of swerving!

I thought it was amusing that such an absurd argument was occurring over several pages. It's hardly causing a row.

Perhaps I should have known better, considering Libby is a bit of a wind up.

I honestly think your replies to Healy have been aggressive in tone, and you're arguing your point rather dogmatically.

I feel no need to have a word with you myself, I find you amusing Dolly. I'm not even sure if you're being serious half the time.

Nobody has really had a "pop" Dolly. People have pointed out your lavish meal could be construed as vulgar in terms of price, considering you could have it elsewhere for a fraction of the price, which I believe is a similar point that you've been attempting to make about watches.

Looking to buy a watch on 23:48 - Mar 24 with 4053 viewsoneonmyknee

Looking to buy a watch on 21:45 - Mar 24 by NewcyBlue

Come on mate, a lot of people have made decent money based on Rommers reports / forecasts / advice.

I reckon most lads Rommers age would spend stupid money going on a lads holiday, he hasn’t and is healthier for it. He also has the self awareness to know he wanrs a break. I would say he has it entirely under control.

As young lads go I think Rommers has got it screwed on. You’re being unnecessarily harsh here.

Haha, nice one
Looking to buy a watch on 05:39 - Mar 25 with 4006 viewsBenters2

Looking to buy a watch on 20:46 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

You constantly bang on about not having what he has at his age, that he doesn't have a job (he does gardens) and you take shots that he dares talk about one of his interests on here to an audience willing to listen. There are plenty of racing fans on here. Other people could try something truly revolutionary and not click on the thread. You come across extremely bitter.

Are you happy? Not taking the piss, genuinely asking. You haven't seemed very happy lately. Hope everything is ok with you.

Look lets drop this he does gardens shall we he cuts his Grandmas lawn thats it.
Looking to buy a watch on 05:43 - Mar 25 with 4005 viewsBenters2

Looking to buy a watch on 21:45 - Mar 24 by NewcyBlue

Christ on a bike.

He looks like he could do with a good meal in him to me.

'Got his head screwed on right' At his age he should be out enjoying his life on a Saturday night.

[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 7:15]
Looking to buy a watch on 06:15 - Mar 25 with 3992 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 05:39 - Mar 25 by Benters2

Look lets drop this he does gardens shall we he cuts his Grandmas lawn thats it.

Why do you continue to believe that even though I’ve told you I do a few different Gardens? One of which is my nans. Unsurprisingly, she doesn’t own 7/8 houses. In fact, I only started doing there garden because their gardener (an old boy bless him) got seriously ill. They’ve not heard from him in 18 months now and fear the worst. I offered to keep it going for them as neither of my grandparents would be able to do it themselves.

What’s the problem? Would you prefer if I just left them to it? I’ve never once claimed to be a professional garnder or anything like that. I don’t know if you feel intimidated that I’m stealing your role as pro gardener or something on TWTD but I’m not. Don’t you worry yourself.

It’s almost like every little thing I do or say on here is being analysed lately. It’s pathetic. Every day. No matter what the topic.

Looking to buy a watch on 06:56 - Mar 25 with 3987 viewsBenters2

Looking to buy a watch on 06:15 - Mar 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Why do you continue to believe that even though I’ve told you I do a few different Gardens? One of which is my nans. Unsurprisingly, she doesn’t own 7/8 houses. In fact, I only started doing there garden because their gardener (an old boy bless him) got seriously ill. They’ve not heard from him in 18 months now and fear the worst. I offered to keep it going for them as neither of my grandparents would be able to do it themselves.

What’s the problem? Would you prefer if I just left them to it? I’ve never once claimed to be a professional garnder or anything like that. I don’t know if you feel intimidated that I’m stealing your role as pro gardener or something on TWTD but I’m not. Don’t you worry yourself.

It’s almost like every little thing I do or say on here is being analysed lately. It’s pathetic. Every day. No matter what the topic.

Becuase i know you dont have your own gardening round thats why.

Fair play for helping your Grandparents.
Looking to buy a watch on 07:28 - Mar 25 with 3976 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Looking to buy a watch on 22:47 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

A quite apt comparison? Really?

The Heston meal (which I imagine is many MANY times tastier and more nutritious than a microwave meal, and is in a nice setting) is £322.50 more expensive than your microwave meal.

The top watch we've talked about on here (I'm sure there are many more expensive ones out there) is around £10k. That's £9986 more expensive than Ryorry's watch.

Bit of a difference I'd say!

A watch that costs thousands is also much nicer, will last longer, hold value better etc than a cheap one too, so no different to a meal there

Also you seem to have ignored the service charge and drinks in your numbers, and you’re using the £ difference rather than % that is more relevant

To save us the next few exchanges - you’re probably going to point out the % difference between the meals is still a bit higher, I’ll counter that there are still more expensive and cheaper options, you’ll do likewise for watches and we’ll go round in a circle

Point remains that you can eat very cheaply if you want but also reasonably choose to spend much more in a restaurant if you wish. You can also buy a cheap watch, or choose to spend much more on a nicer one

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

on 09:23 - Mar 25 with 3952 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 23:07 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

As I've already said, a debate developed from his query, as often does. You can deny it if you like, but it's all there and you've just added to it. It was a fairly civil debate for the most part as well.

Perhaps you haven't read the whole thread and just steamed in like the cavalry at the end of a Western?

Looking to buy a watch on 09:57 - Mar 25 with 3923 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 09:23 - Mar 25 by _

"So aggressive"? I've had a look back at what Joe was replying to and no, I can't see ANYTHING aggressive about it. I capitalised some words for emphasis if that's what you mean?

Coming from you this is all a little rich anyway. You've come into this debate admitting you have nothing to add to it and have had a pop at 4 different people. Even Newcy, who told you about the debate, thinks you've been out of order. I'd look a bit closer to home if I were you.

Looking to buy a watch on 10:09 - Mar 25 with 3917 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 07:28 - Mar 25 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

A watch that costs thousands is also much nicer, will last longer, hold value better etc than a cheap one too, so no different to a meal there

Also you seem to have ignored the service charge and drinks in your numbers, and you’re using the £ difference rather than % that is more relevant

To save us the next few exchanges - you’re probably going to point out the % difference between the meals is still a bit higher, I’ll counter that there are still more expensive and cheaper options, you’ll do likewise for watches and we’ll go round in a circle

Point remains that you can eat very cheaply if you want but also reasonably choose to spend much more in a restaurant if you wish. You can also buy a cheap watch, or choose to spend much more on a nicer one

"Much nicer" is subjective. One of the expensive ones linked to earlier looked very plain to me. Another (that someone else said they didn't like, can't remember who) looked ugly to me.

I don't know what the service and drinks charge is as you didn't offer that information, so how do you expect me to include it?

Nevertheless, in the food example the difference still remains pounds. With watches it's thousands and even tens of thousands.

As for you coming back with more expensive meal options - it was YOU that set the bar! You chose the Fat Duck as the most expensive you could think of. I haven't even scraped the surface with watches. As I'm sure you know, some go into the hundreds of thousands!

p.s. I didn't do the % as I'm rubbish at maths and don't know how to work it out!
p.p.s. Apologies if any of this comes across as aggressive, it doesn't mean to be.

Looking to buy a watch on 10:12 - Mar 25 with 3912 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 06:56 - Mar 25 by Benters2

Becuase i know you dont have your own gardening round thats why.

Fair play for helping your Grandparents.

He's just said he does 7/8 gardens. Why can't you just accept what people tell you?

Looking to buy a watch on 10:14 - Mar 25 with 3909 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 06:15 - Mar 25 by The_Romford_Blue

I wouldn't bother trying to explain things to Benters. Once something's in his head it ain't moving.

Sounds like he's a bit miffed that you're on his patch (pun intended).

Looking to buy a watch on 10:20 - Mar 25 with 3902 viewsbenno1uk

If you are after a watch that is 100% accurate, virtually indestructible, powers itself, waterproof to 200 metres then this is probably the best you can get. And it's less than £100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-G-Shock-Mens-Watch-GW-M5610-1ER/dp/B001414NT8/ref

If you after a 'premium' watch I would go for an automatic as they seem to hold their value better, although seem to require expensive servicing. Either an Omega (if you can find one for under £1000) or an Oris divers watch would be a good choice in my opinion.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 10:23]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024