Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78018 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
Looking to buy a watch on 11:28 - Mar 21 with 4459 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:16 - Mar 21 by imsureazzure

You can tell a mans style and class by two items, shoes and watch.

I take it you wear shoes?

You can tell a man's education by his lack of apostrophes.

It's very easy to look stylish without a watch. It's a very antiquated attitude to think otherwise.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 11:30 - Mar 21 with 4455 viewsTIB

New Balance 247's and a Casio ...birds come flocking

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Looking to buy a watch on 11:59 - Mar 21 with 4440 viewsitfcjoe

I've got a Rolex Submariner, got it for 21st and was just over £2k - it sells new now for £5k and I'm not that old....! Because of that I'd save your money until you can afford something more than £1k as then it will keep its value etc.

I think the Tudor watches are pretty good investment wise and look nice too, they are a sister company to Rolex. and a fair bit cheaper.

The guy in Robert Gatward in town is very knowledgable and helpful, you'd be wise to go and spend a bit of time telling him what you want, budget wise, etc and he'll be a big help

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking to buy a watch on 12:06 - Mar 21 with 4420 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 08:52 - Mar 21 by uefacup81

Genuine question:

I've never understood the need to spend stupid amounts of money (I'm talking more than, say, £150) on a watch.

What do you get for a £5,000 Rolex that you don't get with a £150 Citizen EcoDrive - other than the name?

Prestige and investment.

I paid £4 and a half K for mine over 15 years ago. When I was looking at a £12K Rolex in a shop recently (absolutely no intention of buying. My Mrs was getting hers back from being serviced) they offered me £900 more than I paid in part exchange.

Terrible time keepers btw. Loses ten minutes every month.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looking to buy a watch on 12:20 - Mar 21 with 4411 viewsimsureazzure

Looking to buy a watch on 11:28 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

It's very easy to look stylish without a watch. It's a very antiquated attitude to think otherwise.

In a pub? I have not seen many wearing an apostrophe.
Looking to buy a watch on 12:24 - Mar 21 with 4407 viewsJ2BLUE

Christ. What complete sh1te.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looking to buy a watch on 12:24 - Mar 21 with 4402 viewsNewcyBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:28 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

Really? I wouldn’t judge someone by that.

I would also rather have a drink with somebody that he seen a bit of the world has actual experiences than somebody who thinks doing shots at the uni bar is a life experience...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Looking to buy a watch on 12:25 - Mar 21 with 4396 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking to buy a watch on 12:24 - Mar 21 by NewcyBlue

I would also rather have a drink with somebody that he seen a bit of the world has actual experiences than somebody who thinks doing shots at the uni bar is a life experience...

Interesting. I might get a watch to stop you coming on to me via PM.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Looking to buy a watch on 12:26 - Mar 21 with 4393 viewsDarth_Koont

Genuine question:

I've never understood the need to spend stupid amounts of money (I'm talking more than, say, £150) on a watch.

What do you get for a £5,000 Rolex that you don't get with a £150 Citizen EcoDrive - other than the name?

Same here.

People can do whatever they want with their money, of course. But expensive watches in particular do seem to fetishize consumerism.

Pronouns: He/Him

Looking to buy a watch on 12:26 - Mar 21 with 4393 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 12:24 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

It's bang on correct.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looking to buy a watch on 12:27 - Mar 21 with 4382 viewsTIB

Looking to buy a watch on 11:59 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

I've got a Rolex Submariner, got it for 21st and was just over £2k - it sells new now for £5k and I'm not that old....! Because of that I'd save your money until you can afford something more than £1k as then it will keep its value etc.

I think the Tudor watches are pretty good investment wise and look nice too, they are a sister company to Rolex. and a fair bit cheaper.

The guy in Robert Gatward in town is very knowledgable and helpful, you'd be wise to go and spend a bit of time telling him what you want, budget wise, etc and he'll be a big help

Always wanted a Submariner ...at £2k that's a great buy.

Makes sense to wait / save for something more if you are looking for a watch as an investment. The Tag F1 watches for instance are nice and will last a lifetime, but because there are so many of them made I can't see them increasing in value.

May be worth putting £250-£500 into a deposit on a watch and taking advantage of the many 0% finance options they have on luxury watches. Andrew Michael's near me are running 0% deals on Rolex, Breathing etc near enough the whole time.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 12:28]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Looking to buy a watch on 12:28 - Mar 21 with 4376 viewsimsureazzure

Looking to buy a watch on 12:24 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

Thanks.
Looking to buy a watch on 12:28 - Mar 21 with 4374 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking to buy a watch on 12:26 - Mar 21 by Lord_Lucan

It's bang on correct.

Only if you look for style over substance. Give me five minutes talking to someone over seeing what watch they wear. Not sure i've ever deliberately looked at a man's shoes in my entire life.

Truly impaired.

Looking to buy a watch on 12:30 - Mar 21 with 4357 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 12:27 - Mar 21 by TIB

Always wanted a Submariner ...at £2k that's a great buy.

Makes sense to wait / save for something more if you are looking for a watch as an investment. The Tag F1 watches for instance are nice and will last a lifetime, but because there are so many of them made I can't see them increasing in value.

May be worth putting £250-£500 into a deposit on a watch and taking advantage of the many 0% finance options they have on luxury watches. Andrew Michael's near me are running 0% deals on Rolex, Breathing etc near enough the whole time.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 12:28]

It's not so much just to get an investment, I just think if you are spending 4 figures on a watch then you need to get something that is worth that and will continue to be. It needs to be a proper watch with a proper movement.

It's better to buy a cheaper 'proper' watch than an expensive 'fashion' watch.

I haven't worn mine much lately, tend to wear a smart watch during the week now and just my Rolex when I go out - which I never thought would be the case as was it day in day out for 10 years up until now. My Dad has a nice collection of Rolexes I will one day inherit, hopefully not too soon though!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking to buy a watch on 12:31 - Mar 21 with 4351 viewsimsureazzure

Looking to buy a watch on 12:28 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

Only if you look for style over substance. Give me five minutes talking to someone over seeing what watch they wear. Not sure i've ever deliberately looked at a man's shoes in my entire life.

You don't wear Crocs then? A lot of chefs do.
Looking to buy a watch on 12:32 - Mar 21 with 4347 viewsLord_Lucan

Funnily enough I have a friend of a friend going to Japan soon on a Rolex mission. Apparently you can get second hand Rolex's for nix over there because they all buy new and pretty much discard the old ones.

Let me know if this is of interest. I'm not sure if it is feasible to select an exact model and stuff but thought I would mention it. You could always drop him a wedge and exchange photos / information when he is over there.

It's definitely straight up, I used to know a Koi importer that used to do the same thing.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Looking to buy a watch on 12:33 - Mar 21 with 4338 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking to buy a watch on 12:31 - Mar 21 by imsureazzure

You don't wear Crocs then? A lot of chefs do.

Flip flops and a Casio calculator watch.

Truly impaired.

Looking to buy a watch on 12:36 - Mar 21 with 4322 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 12:33 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

Flip flops and a Casio calculator watch.

I knew someone like you at school - back in 1978

Looking to buy a watch on 12:47 - Mar 21 with 4300 viewsBurwell_Blue

Genuine question:

A lot.

Its a nice feeling having a good watch on your wrist. Its a good conversation starter, it gives you a good start in a job interview or a social situation. It just feels nice.

I bought my first Rolex when I was 30, an Air King. Now have a Gold/Platinum DateJust.
Looking to buy a watch on 12:54 - Mar 21 with 4283 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:47 - Mar 21 by Burwell_Blue

A lot.

Its a nice feeling having a good watch on your wrist. Its a good conversation starter, it gives you a good start in a job interview or a social situation. It just feels nice.

I bought my first Rolex when I was 30, an Air King. Now have a Gold/Platinum DateJust.

Yeah I started with the air king. Good entry model and three years later got exactly what I paid for it when I upgraded.

Iron Lion Zion

Looking to buy a watch on 12:59 - Mar 21 with 4273 viewsBurwell_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:54 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah I started with the air king. Good entry model and three years later got exactly what I paid for it when I upgraded.

From memory I paid £1700 in Goldsmiths. Gave it to my brother on his 21st.
Looking to buy a watch on 13:01 - Mar 21 with 4267 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:59 - Mar 21 by Burwell_Blue

From memory I paid £1700 in Goldsmiths. Gave it to my brother on his 21st.

Lucky brother.

Iron Lion Zion

Looking to buy a watch on 13:02 - Mar 21 with 4263 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:24 - Mar 21 by NewcyBlue

I was only jesting.

Not sure what your second bit is related to. Who has suggested shots at the uni bar is a life experience and what has it got to do with the thread? Or was it just something you wanted to share?!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 13:03 - Mar 21 with 4256 viewsBlueinBrum

I stumbled across this brand when i was looking a while ago. I have no idea about them other than that i thought some of these were beautiful.

https://www.junghans.de/en/junghans-collection/watch-guide.html
Looking to buy a watch on 13:12 - Mar 21 with 4231 viewsCheshire_Tractor

Looking to buy a watch on 09:28 - Mar 21 by FrowsyArmLarry

The Rolex doesn’t pull the hairs out of your arm or detiriorate.

Also, I just sold a ten year old one through watch finder for £150 less than I paid for it, so they’re kinda cheap too

Good investment then

But you have to ask questions of the other person who prefers to buy a used watch that has been on someone else's wrist for ten years because it is marginally cheaper than getting himself a brand new one.

Can see your logic but not his.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024