Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78027 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
Looking to buy a watch on 13:14 - Mar 21 with 2508 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:54 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah I started with the air king. Good entry model and three years later got exactly what I paid for it when I upgraded.

I may well upset a few here but this is just my opinion and people are entitled to do what they want with their money, obviously...

But I think wearing something like a Rolex is vulgar. It's showing off how "I am considerably richer than yaow". The fact that it doesn't tell the time very well just reinforces my point. When you think of people eating out of food banks, to be wandering around in this day and age with a few grand of 'status and prestige' on your wrist is just abhorrent to me. It's just something I can't and will never understand.

Each to their own though.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 13:17 - Mar 21 with 2497 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 13:14 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

I may well upset a few here but this is just my opinion and people are entitled to do what they want with their money, obviously...

But I think wearing something like a Rolex is vulgar. It's showing off how "I am considerably richer than yaow". The fact that it doesn't tell the time very well just reinforces my point. When you think of people eating out of food banks, to be wandering around in this day and age with a few grand of 'status and prestige' on your wrist is just abhorrent to me. It's just something I can't and will never understand.

But they are hardly a flashy watch, they don't scream out £5k or whatever they cost - generally only people who know will recognise them.

The same could be said for most consumerable items - a new iPhone is over £1,000, wearable tech can be £300+. None of it is necessary

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking to buy a watch on 13:18 - Mar 21 with 2496 viewsimsureazzure

Hang on a minute, is it not hypocritical to suggest all of the above when you pay £90 for sausage and mash?
Looking to buy a watch on 13:27 - Mar 21 with 2475 viewsNewcyBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:02 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

I was only jesting.

Not sure what your second bit is related to. Who has suggested shots at the uni bar is a life experience and what has it got to do with the thread? Or was it just something you wanted to share?!

It was the judging people based on their perceived education.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Looking to buy a watch on 13:27 - Mar 21 with 2474 viewsSwansea_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:18 - Mar 21 by imsureazzure

Hang on a minute, is it not hypocritical to suggest all of the above when you pay £90 for sausage and mash?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looking to buy a watch on 13:28 - Mar 21 with 2469 viewsNewcyBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:17 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

But they are hardly a flashy watch, they don't scream out £5k or whatever they cost - generally only people who know will recognise them.

The same could be said for most consumerable items - a new iPhone is over £1,000, wearable tech can be £300+. None of it is necessary

Speaking of watches Joe, I picked up a Forerunner 235 the other day for £159. Should be delivered shortly, so will have a play with t when I get home.

Looking to buy a watch on 13:30 - Mar 21 with 2450 viewsArcher4721

Looking to buy a watch on 12:06 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Prestige and investment.

I paid £4 and a half K for mine over 15 years ago. When I was looking at a £12K Rolex in a shop recently (absolutely no intention of buying. My Mrs was getting hers back from being serviced) they offered me £900 more than I paid in part exchange.

Terrible time keepers btw. Loses ten minutes every month.

"Prestige and investment"

Arf..... So it's all about image with you then.

Rolex's and Porsche Boxsters are fine if you can pay your bills!
Looking to buy a watch on 13:32 - Mar 21 with 2457 viewsNewcyBlue

A man has to eat.....

Login to get fewer ads

Looking to buy a watch on 13:33 - Mar 21 with 2455 viewsDarth_Koont

But an iPhone or at least a mobile is necessary. 100% necessary in many people's cases.

A watch is just "nice to have". Again, which is fine but its value is Veblen value — very much artificial like other luxury items.

Pronouns: He/Him

Looking to buy a watch on 13:34 - Mar 21 with 2450 viewsBurwell_Blue

It could also say, I started with nothing, I worked my nuts off and you know what, I have earned the right to treat myself.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 13:47]
Looking to buy a watch on 13:37 - Mar 21 with 2438 viewshype313

To be honest if I see someone with a Rolex or Tag I automatically think fake, bit like woman who spend hundreds on bags, get a knock off which is remarkably similar these days for a tenth of the price, people will think it's snide anyway so you might aswell save yourself a fortune.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Looking to buy a watch on 13:39 - Mar 21 with 2433 viewsBrixtonBlue

Yeah admittedly I probably wouldn't know it's a Rolex unless I looked closely or the person told me.

I disagree with "most consumable items". An iPhone is practical. It does LOTS of stuff for that money. A watch that costs thousands and its only 'job' it doesn't do very well - that is JUST about looking good/wealthy IMO.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 13:42 - Mar 21 with 2412 viewsGlasgowBlue

It's not vulgar. It's not like a big chunk of jewellery that is in somebody's face.

If I was in the pub having a beer with you then I doubt you would even notice it is a Rolex. Especially if it's not your sort of thing. I wouldn't draw attention to it or wave my wrist about whilst talking to you.

Then again, if I am in a group of like minded people we will notice each others timepieces.

I'm not sure what food banks have to do with anything? Soem people may spend far more than £5 k on going out in the course of a year. Should they feel guilty because there are food banks? Equally, should somebody planning on spending £10k to take his family to Disneyworld feel guilty about foodbanks and instead have a week in Skegness?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looking to buy a watch on 13:43 - Mar 21 with 2412 viewsBrixtonBlue

Not in the slightest. A good meal in a nice restaurant is a 'once now and again' treat, it's not 'parading' in front of others, and £90 for a two course meal and drinks in a quality restaurant in central London is not excessive. In fact it's pretty normal and you can pay a lot more in many places.

Thousands of pounds on a watch that doesn't even tell the time very well is excessive, IMO, and not remotely comparable.

Looking to buy a watch on 13:45 - Mar 21 with 2404 viewsLord_Lucan

20 fags a day is getting on for £4000 pa

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looking to buy a watch on 13:45 - Mar 21 with 2404 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:27 - Mar 21 by NewcyBlue

It was the judging people based on their perceived education.

I don't do that. It was merely a riposte to someone having a little dig at me.

Looking to buy a watch on 13:45 - Mar 21 with 2403 viewsDarth_Koont

Looking to buy a watch on 13:37 - Mar 21 by hype313

To be honest if I see someone with a Rolex or Tag I automatically think fake, bit like woman who spend hundreds on bags, get a knock off which is remarkably similar these days for a tenth of the price, people will think it's snide anyway so you might aswell save yourself a fortune.

Agreed.

It's also bit like women who get fake boobs. Rather a lot of money (and the temptation to go overboard) when you could "fake" it with a better bra and some padding/pushup feature.

Going the whole hog and spending all that money means there's real depth to your superficiality.

Pronouns: He/Him

Looking to buy a watch on 13:49 - Mar 21 with 2384 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:34 - Mar 21 by Burwell_Blue

It could also say, I started with nothing, I worked my nuts off and you know what, I have earned the right to treat myself.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 13:47]

"people are entitled to do what they want with their money, obviously..."

Looking to buy a watch on 13:49 - Mar 21 with 2377 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:37 - Mar 21 by hype313

Good point.

Looking to buy a watch on 13:50 - Mar 21 with 2375 viewsBluespeed225

Got a vintage Fabre Leuvre from Canada, understated, classic non showy. Considering a 60;s Seiko Sportsman, one of the first Jap mass produced quality watches. Omega Seamaster, 1960's does float my boat though!
Looking to buy a watch on 13:51 - Mar 21 with 2369 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:49 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

"people are entitled to do what they want with their money, obviously..."

"But I think wearing something like a Rolex is vulgar. It's showing off how "I am considerably richer than yaow".

So people are entitled to do what they want with their money but you think it's showing off and vulgar.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looking to buy a watch on 13:54 - Mar 21 with 2355 viewsimsureazzure

Looking to buy a watch on 13:43 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

Not in the slightest. A good meal in a nice restaurant is a 'once now and again' treat, it's not 'parading' in front of others, and £90 for a two course meal and drinks in a quality restaurant in central London is not excessive. In fact it's pretty normal and you can pay a lot more in many places.

Thousands of pounds on a watch that doesn't even tell the time very well is excessive, IMO, and not remotely comparable.

Is letting TWTD that you have had a £90 meal not 'parading'?

Oh by the way, that said watch if purchased correctly will hold it's price and in all probability make money.
Looking to buy a watch on 13:57 - Mar 21 with 2340 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 13:28 - Mar 21 by NewcyBlue

Speaking of watches Joe, I picked up a Forerunner 235 the other day for £159. Should be delivered shortly, so will have a play with t when I get home.

A really good price for a really good watch - how is the training going?

Looking to buy a watch on 13:58 - Mar 21 with 2335 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 13:33 - Mar 21 by Darth_Koont

But an iPhone or at least a mobile is necessary. 100% necessary in many people's cases.

A watch is just "nice to have". Again, which is fine but its value is Veblen value — very much artificial like other luxury items.

Spending £1000 on a phone isn't necessary though?

Looking to buy a watch on 13:59 - Mar 21 with 2331 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:42 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

It's not vulgar. It's not like a big chunk of jewellery that is in somebody's face.

If I was in the pub having a beer with you then I doubt you would even notice it is a Rolex. Especially if it's not your sort of thing. I wouldn't draw attention to it or wave my wrist about whilst talking to you.

Then again, if I am in a group of like minded people we will notice each others timepieces.

I'm not sure what food banks have to do with anything? Soem people may spend far more than £5 k on going out in the course of a year. Should they feel guilty because there are food banks? Equally, should somebody planning on spending £10k to take his family to Disneyworld feel guilty about foodbanks and instead have a week in Skegness?

No, because the watch is on top of that lot. Presumably you still go out throughout the year as well (as how else could you show off your watch?)

Taking your family on a holiday to Disneyland will be far more rewarding for them (and you probably) - the experience, the relaxation away from 'real' life etc. than wearing a watch that doesn't tell the time very well.

You're probably right, I probably wouldn't notice it if you weren't being flash with it. It's the whole concept I find vulgar. A bunch of blokes standing around comparing timepieces (and I imagine asking what car you're driving now) only adds to that vulgarity to me.

Maybe it's just not my world.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024