Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78087 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
Looking to buy a watch on 15:23 - Mar 21 with 3576 viewsJakeITFC

Looking to buy a watch on 15:11 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

It's interesting, I've never thought of a watch as an investment. But then, aren't there other, better, methods of investing that £5k? You're going to need to insure it on top of that cost as well.

Regarding the holiday, it could be an experience that betters you as a person. I would personally say having an expensive watch on your wrist would be more wasteful to me than a life-enriching experience.

If it makes you feel better I’ll wear my watch on holiday.
Looking to buy a watch on 15:24 - Mar 21 with 3576 viewsNewcyBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 14:53 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Yep, that's it

Buy you a beer at the finish then!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Looking to buy a watch on 15:27 - Mar 21 with 3567 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 15:24 - Mar 21 by NewcyBlue

Buy you a beer at the finish then!

Deal, you might need to wait for me before you order it as wouldn't want a warm one!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking to buy a watch on 15:27 - Mar 21 with 3563 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 15:16 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

How many of your holidays are genuine life enriching experiences though?

Obviously £5k trekking the Macchu Pichu trial and finiding yourself is different to £3k to go all inclusive to greece for a couple of weeks for some sun and to relax.

As I've said, I'm fortunate to have been able to have a watch and holidays etc - but having received mine as a gift for my 21st, I can't think of a better use of the £2k it cost my parents in our situation. If they'd have given it to me I wouldn't have watsed it - but 'd have ended up with a new laptop, or a holiday, or similar which would most likely long be forgotten or thrown away by now

Yeah not all holidays are massively life-enriching, but then you don't have to pay the sums you're suggesting anyway.

I'm not sure why we're comparing holidays with watches TBH, but given the choice I'd have the two weeks all inclusive in Greece over a watch.

With your £2k you needn't necessarily have spent it on a laptop, holiday or similar. You could've put it in an ISA or some other high-yield account. I got £5k off my dad (he gave my brother £5k to help him get a house, so was just evening things up) and I put most of it in a right-to-buy ISA for when I get a place of my own. The thought of spending it on a watch wouldn't even occur to me.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 15:28 - Mar 21 with 3563 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 15:23 - Mar 21 by JakeITFC

I'll sell you this for £999 Jake

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looking to buy a watch on 15:28 - Mar 21 with 3562 viewsNewcyBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 15:27 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Deal, you might need to wait for me before you order it as wouldn't want a warm one!

I think out of the two of us I won’t be the one waiting...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Looking to buy a watch on 15:29 - Mar 21 with 3558 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 15:17 - Mar 21 by hype313

To be honest there is a valid argument for both really, a good investment is always a wise option and as Joe says, if the proverbial hits the fan then it's never a bad thing to have a get out of jail card, but equally a life enriching holiday can be a real tonic culturally, mentally and physically.

They are not mutually exclusive.

That rather depends on how much money you have!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 15:30 - Mar 21 with 3555 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 15:23 - Mar 21 by JakeITFC

Bizarre comment. Not sure why that would make me feel better.

Login to get fewer ads

Looking to buy a watch on 15:32 - Mar 21 with 3548 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 15:27 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah not all holidays are massively life-enriching, but then you don't have to pay the sums you're suggesting anyway.

I'm not sure why we're comparing holidays with watches TBH, but given the choice I'd have the two weeks all inclusive in Greece over a watch.

With your £2k you needn't necessarily have spent it on a laptop, holiday or similar. You could've put it in an ISA or some other high-yield account. I got £5k off my dad (he gave my brother £5k to help him get a house, so was just evening things up) and I put most of it in a right-to-buy ISA for when I get a place of my own. The thought of spending it on a watch wouldn't even occur to me.

I think personally as a present I'd rather have had something tangible than some money in a savings account which will just be used for something long term. It is something I will be able to pass down to my son at some point.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking to buy a watch on 15:32 - Mar 21 with 3539 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking to buy a watch on 15:28 - Mar 21 by Lord_Lucan

I'll sell you this for £999 Jake

Looks like a £50 knockoff.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looking to buy a watch on 15:41 - Mar 21 with 3523 viewsDarth_Koont

Looking to buy a watch on 14:48 - Mar 21 by Lord_Lucan

Koont!

Are we bonding?

Haha. Don't see why not.

I'm sure we've all got way more common ground than differences. Except for ullaa - he's a genuine wrong'un.

Pronouns: He/Him

Looking to buy a watch on 15:46 - Mar 21 with 3499 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 15:32 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

I think personally as a present I'd rather have had something tangible than some money in a savings account which will just be used for something long term. It is something I will be able to pass down to my son at some point.

To be honest I'd be scared to go out wearing £5k round my wrist. I'd much rather have it in an account (money which could also be passed down to your son).

Looking to buy a watch on 15:49 - Mar 21 with 3494 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 14:02 - Mar 21 by Throbbe

I do own a nice automatic watch, and that's mainly because I'm an engineering geek who likes the idea of a nice movement on his wrist.

I am finding some of the justifications amusing (on both sides of the argument.

Personally I find a lot of modern watches vulgar, but that trend of bigger is better seems to be passing. Similarly, I would avoid the usual Rolex/Omega/Tag crowd, as you're just copying everyone else. That said, an early 60's Seamaster would be in your price range, and I like them - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/seamaster-automatic--id7561123.htm

Consider Christopher Ward. Started as a British company looking to make affordable quality watches, and have drifted from that slightly, but I like this - https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c5-malvern-595-5

Very elegant, and a handwound movement is unusual, even if it's bought in from someone else (which at that price point, most watches will be assembled from stock movements).

That Christopher Ward watch looks very plain to my eye. I'd never pay £600 for that.

Looking to buy a watch on 15:50 - Mar 21 with 3494 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Looking to buy a watch on 11:59 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

I've got a Rolex Submariner, got it for 21st and was just over £2k - it sells new now for £5k and I'm not that old....! Because of that I'd save your money until you can afford something more than £1k as then it will keep its value etc.

I think the Tudor watches are pretty good investment wise and look nice too, they are a sister company to Rolex. and a fair bit cheaper.

The guy in Robert Gatward in town is very knowledgable and helpful, you'd be wise to go and spend a bit of time telling him what you want, budget wise, etc and he'll be a big help

Sound advice. IF you can afford to do it, save some more and get a better watch. I’m lucky enough to have several, including a Patek which I own because I’m genuinely interested in the engineering - it’s a masterpiece. It’s not showy, in fact it’s very discreet, but it’s worth a mind boggling amount of money in the context of it being something I wear on special occasions.

Day to day, get a Rolex.
Looking to buy a watch on 15:51 - Mar 21 with 3488 viewsJakeITFC

Looking to buy a watch on 15:30 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

Bizarre comment. Not sure why that would make me feel better.

Was a joke mate, don’t worry.
Looking to buy a watch on 15:51 - Mar 21 with 3485 viewsJakeITFC

Looking to buy a watch on 15:50 - Mar 21 by PrideOfTheEast

Sound advice. IF you can afford to do it, save some more and get a better watch. I’m lucky enough to have several, including a Patek which I own because I’m genuinely interested in the engineering - it’s a masterpiece. It’s not showy, in fact it’s very discreet, but it’s worth a mind boggling amount of money in the context of it being something I wear on special occasions.

Day to day, get a Rolex.

Seems to be the consensus, cheers.
Looking to buy a watch on 15:54 - Mar 21 with 3479 viewsGeoffSentence

The film was Ok but with The Hoff only making a cameo appearance it wasn't as good as the series. Oh wait buy a watch. My bad.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Looking to buy a watch on 15:57 - Mar 21 with 3469 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 15:46 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

To be honest I'd be scared to go out wearing £5k round my wrist. I'd much rather have it in an account (money which could also be passed down to your son).

There is also the sentimental value Dollers.

Mrs GB and I bought each other matching watches when she was pregnant with our son. She has a really big sentimental attachment to that watch.

The same with some of her jewellery which was bought to celebrate the birth of our twins.

As Joe says, his parents bought his as a gift which I'm sure he cherishes more than had he been given a wad of cash.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 16:00]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looking to buy a watch on 16:03 - Mar 21 with 3456 viewshype313

Looking to buy a watch on 15:57 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Mrs GB and I bought each other matching watches when she was pregnant with our son. She has a really big sentimental attachment to that watch.

The same with some of her jewellery which was bought to celebrate the birth of our twins.

As Joe says, his parents bought his as a gift which I'm sure he cherishes more than had he been given a wad of cash.

Which to be fair, if any of us got a wad of cash for our 21st, we would probably only have a hazy recollection years later to show for it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Looking to buy a watch on 16:05 - Mar 21 with 3452 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 15:57 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Do you have matching jackets as well GB?

I must admit I find that sort of thing bizarre.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looking to buy a watch on 16:09 - Mar 21 with 3438 viewsartsbossbeard

Who'd have thought that Jake's request for assistance in buying a watch would have created such disharmony on here?

Oh, wait.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Looking to buy a watch on 16:10 - Mar 21 with 3432 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking to buy a watch on 16:09 - Mar 21 by artsbossbeard

Who'd have thought that Jake's request for assistance in buying a watch would have created such disharmony on here?

Oh, wait.

Disharmony? Where?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looking to buy a watch on 16:18 - Mar 21 with 3407 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 16:03 - Mar 21 by hype313

Which to be fair, if any of us got a wad of cash for our 21st, we would probably only have a hazy recollection years later to show for it.

A dose of the clap and a massive hangover.

Iron Lion Zion

Looking to buy a watch on 16:23 - Mar 21 with 3395 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 16:09 - Mar 21 by artsbossbeard

Oh, wait.

I see an interesting discussion rather than disharmony.

Looking to buy a watch on 16:25 - Mar 21 with 3387 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 16:10 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

Disharmony? Where?

In Beardy's head.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024