Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78083 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
Looking to buy a watch on 16:25 - Mar 21 with 6488 viewsArcher4721

Looking to buy a watch on 16:05 - Mar 21 by Lord_Lucan

Do you have matching jackets as well GB?

I must admit I find that sort of thing bizarre.

And here they are....

Looking to buy a watch on 16:26 - Mar 21 with 6504 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 15:57 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

There is also the sentimental value Dollers.

Mrs GB and I bought each other matching watches when she was pregnant with our son. She has a really big sentimental attachment to that watch.

The same with some of her jewellery which was bought to celebrate the birth of our twins.

As Joe says, his parents bought his as a gift which I'm sure he cherishes more than had he been given a wad of cash.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 16:00]

That's great and I totally understand it... but you don't have to spend thousands to have sentimental value.

I do think getting a watch as a 21st birthday gift is a bit different to just going out and spending a few grand on a watch for yourself though.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 16:34 - Mar 21 with 6496 viewsartsbossbeard

Looking to buy a watch on 16:25 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

In Beardy's head.

Evidence required. Please point out to me where I've stated that this is all in beardy's head.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Looking to buy a watch on 17:02 - Mar 21 with 6457 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 16:34 - Mar 21 by artsbossbeard

Evidence required. Please point out to me where I've stated that this is all in beardy's head.

Two witnesses of impeccable character in Dolly and J2.

I rest my case.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looking to buy a watch on 21:29 - Mar 21 with 6381 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nearly posted earlier today that another thing that puts me off expensive watches is the risk of being targetted, and then this pops up - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43494028

Granted, much of my formative adult years were spent working and passing through dodgy cities in developing countries so I developed extreme self preservation instincts. I imagine on the whole it's pretty rare in this country. But obviously people aren't immune in London.

Keep safe kids with your flashy timepieces

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looking to buy a watch on 04:51 - Mar 22 with 6315 viewsRyorry

I love my Swatch bought online for approx £14 about 7 years ago; has never needed the battery replacing, never stopped, & has kept perfect time despite being strapped round bottom toggle elastic of my jacket (anything around wrist gives me a rash), getting wet & muddy whilst dog-walking, gardening etc. Only drawback is that it'd need returning to Swatch for battery replacement, as they won't let local jewellers open the back. Is just like this except for colour, having individual minute marks, & a very useful second hand -

[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 5:21]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Looking to buy a watch on 07:35 - Mar 22 with 6274 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Looking to buy a watch on 10:39 - Mar 21 by fergalsharkey

What is a 'bad' watch?

I would avoid automatic tags as i have had a couple and both rubbish.

Battery tags ok though.

I have a decent longines which are not silly money.

blancpain if you want something proper that only real watch people will appreciate but your are talking 8k plus.
omega and breitling are mainly for mid managment christmas gift people.

Blimey you have managed to be wrong in nearly every sentence. Well done!

BOT

Looking to buy a watch on 08:03 - Mar 22 with 6257 viewstcblue

I love horology and, were I not poor, I'd have a Patek. But I am poor so I have a collection of vintage and not so vintage Swiss and not so Swiss.

I would broadly go along with most of the recommendations here, particularly the gent who suggested Seiko. Tag I would avoid because I'm a bit of a snob, people buying brand new Breitling need their heads read.

Yes, a battery watch will keep better time than non-battery. Equally I can take a more representative photo of the Stour than Constable painted. Those are not strained comparisons in my book.

Finally, it's up to you what you spend your money on. My collection - at whatever state it is when I pop off - is in my will. If I fall on hard times, I know I've got a few watches that don't owe me anything if I needed a quick sale.
Login to get fewer ads

Looking to buy a watch on 08:17 - Mar 22 with 6248 viewsbluejake78

Just buy a Rolex....end of.
I put that bad boy on ,gold cufflinks and Aramis if you still can't score get a face replant.
Looking to buy a watch on 08:23 - Mar 22 with 6244 viewsbluejake78

Looking to buy a watch on 08:17 - Mar 22 by bluejake78

Just buy a Rolex....end of.
I put that bad boy on ,gold cufflinks and Aramis if you still can't score get a face replant.

Get rid of your Corsa keys
Looking to buy a watch on 08:32 - Mar 22 with 6238 viewsimsureazzure

Looking to buy a watch on 08:03 - Mar 22 by tcblue

I love horology and, were I not poor, I'd have a Patek. But I am poor so I have a collection of vintage and not so vintage Swiss and not so Swiss.

I would broadly go along with most of the recommendations here, particularly the gent who suggested Seiko. Tag I would avoid because I'm a bit of a snob, people buying brand new Breitling need their heads read.

Yes, a battery watch will keep better time than non-battery. Equally I can take a more representative photo of the Stour than Constable painted. Those are not strained comparisons in my book.

Finally, it's up to you what you spend your money on. My collection - at whatever state it is when I pop off - is in my will. If I fall on hard times, I know I've got a few watches that don't owe me anything if I needed a quick sale.

'Yes, a battery watch will keep better time than non-battery. Equally I can take a more representative photo of the Stour than Constable painted. Those are not strained comparisons in my book.'

Perfect.
Looking to buy a watch on 08:36 - Mar 22 with 6235 viewsThijssens_Tash

Someone will be selling this one shortly...poor Simon Jordan

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-43494028
Looking to buy a watch on 12:41 - Mar 22 with 6193 viewsfergalsharkey

Looking to buy a watch on 07:35 - Mar 22 by BorisOrTrevor

Blimey you have managed to be wrong in nearly every sentence. Well done!

thankyou.

the automatic tags were perfect apart from the fact they never worked.
the quartz tag was rubbish apart from the fact it still works perfectly after 14 years.
the automatic longines is the best looking out of them all cost less than a grand and works perfectly
and breitling and omegas are generally worn by small penis owning audi drivers.

is that better?

Poll: Cook out?

Looking to buy a watch on 12:52 - Mar 22 with 6180 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 12:41 - Mar 22 by fergalsharkey

thankyou.

the automatic tags were perfect apart from the fact they never worked.
the quartz tag was rubbish apart from the fact it still works perfectly after 14 years.
the automatic longines is the best looking out of them all cost less than a grand and works perfectly
and breitling and omegas are generally worn by small penis owning audi drivers.

is that better?

What about fake Breitlings?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looking to buy a watch on 12:54 - Mar 22 with 6179 viewsnsblu1

Looking to buy a watch on 08:52 - Mar 21 by uefacup81

Genuine question:

I've never understood the need to spend stupid amounts of money (I'm talking more than, say, £150) on a watch.

What do you get for a £5,000 Rolex that you don't get with a £150 Citizen EcoDrive - other than the name?

Often thought the same. I've got a £200 Citizen EcoDrive which i cannot fault one bit
Looking to buy a watch on 13:27 - Mar 22 with 6144 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 16:05 - Mar 21 by Lord_Lucan

Do you have matching jackets as well GB?

I must admit I find that sort of thing bizarre.

No That would be silly. Watches are small and discreet. Mrs GB was expecting our first child, it was Christmas, I'd taken out a decent dividend and we bought each other the gents and ladies version of the same watch.

Iron Lion Zion

Looking to buy a watch on 19:56 - Mar 22 with 6083 viewstcblue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:52 - Mar 22 by Lord_Lucan

What about fake Breitlings?

They keep their value about as well as new Breitlings
Looking to buy a watch on 20:43 - Mar 22 with 6054 viewsSwansea_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 04:51 - Mar 22 by Ryorry

I love my Swatch bought online for approx £14 about 7 years ago; has never needed the battery replacing, never stopped, & has kept perfect time despite being strapped round bottom toggle elastic of my jacket (anything around wrist gives me a rash), getting wet & muddy whilst dog-walking, gardening etc. Only drawback is that it'd need returning to Swatch for battery replacement, as they won't let local jewellers open the back. Is just like this except for colour, having individual minute marks, & a very useful second hand -

[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 5:21]

I'm on your wavelength here. When I did trek the Inca Trail with my soon to be fiance and now wife, I'm pretty sure I would have been checking my watch waiting for the sun to rise over Machu Picchu. It didn't bother me then that it was probably a £20 emergency buy from duty free and I couldn't tell you what it was. But I can certainly remember that view as if it was yesterday.

For me an expensive watch (anything) and travel are mutually exclusive. I'd much rather forego the former in exchange for a trip somewhere.

Each to their own though.

(Edit, I used to strap mine to my rucsac so it would get drop, dragged across the ground and occasionally nicked. Hence the same wavelength comment, but forgot to say why!).
[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 20:46]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looking to buy a watch on 23:31 - Mar 22 with 6010 viewsRyorry

Looking to buy a watch on 20:43 - Mar 22 by Swansea_Blue

I'm on your wavelength here. When I did trek the Inca Trail with my soon to be fiance and now wife, I'm pretty sure I would have been checking my watch waiting for the sun to rise over Machu Picchu. It didn't bother me then that it was probably a £20 emergency buy from duty free and I couldn't tell you what it was. But I can certainly remember that view as if it was yesterday.

For me an expensive watch (anything) and travel are mutually exclusive. I'd much rather forego the former in exchange for a trip somewhere.

Each to their own though.

(Edit, I used to strap mine to my rucsac so it would get drop, dragged across the ground and occasionally nicked. Hence the same wavelength comment, but forgot to say why!).
[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 20:46]

Haha, I wish I could say I'd spent the £2K or whatever I "saved" on the trip of a lifetime to Machu Picchu (or wherever), but I'm afraid it probably went on rent, washing powder & biccies!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Looking to buy a watch on 01:53 - Mar 23 with 5991 viewsSpruceMoose

Looking to buy a watch on 23:31 - Mar 22 by Ryorry

Haha, I wish I could say I'd spent the £2K or whatever I "saved" on the trip of a lifetime to Machu Picchu (or wherever), but I'm afraid it probably went on rent, washing powder & biccies!

Would you be interested in a monthly biscuit and washing powder subscription? Asking for a friend.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Looking to buy a watch on 03:32 - Mar 23 with 5983 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I’ve always thought it’s crazy how much watches cost.

I had a £200 watch as a kid like 5 or 6 years ago but every time I wanted to check the time, I checked my phone anyway. Plus I fully expected to smash it somehow as I’m that clumsy there’s no way I’d buy a proper expensive watch.

I could think of a lot better ways I’d spend a couple of grand than on something to tell the time. Which, effectively, is all it is. No matter how much ‘prestige’ it makes people feel they have.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Looking to buy a watch on 04:22 - Mar 23 with 5974 viewstcblue

Looking to buy a watch on 03:32 - Mar 23 by The_Romford_Blue

I’ve always thought it’s crazy how much watches cost.

I had a £200 watch as a kid like 5 or 6 years ago but every time I wanted to check the time, I checked my phone anyway. Plus I fully expected to smash it somehow as I’m that clumsy there’s no way I’d buy a proper expensive watch.

I could think of a lot better ways I’d spend a couple of grand than on something to tell the time. Which, effectively, is all it is. No matter how much ‘prestige’ it makes people feel they have.

And I think it's madness spending thousands on betting. People are different aren't they Romster
Looking to buy a watch on 06:52 - Mar 23 with 5951 viewsThrobbe

Looking to buy a watch on 04:22 - Mar 23 by tcblue

And I think it's madness spending thousands on betting. People are different aren't they Romster

I understand that some people spend hundreds of pounds a year to watch Ipswich. Madness.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Looking to buy a watch on 07:37 - Mar 23 with 5943 viewstcblue

Looking to buy a watch on 06:52 - Mar 23 by Throbbe

I understand that some people spend hundreds of pounds a year to watch Ipswich. Madness.

I am aware of this. As is my psychiatrist
Looking to buy a watch on 09:26 - Mar 23 with 5920 viewsGlasgowBlue

Coincidentally I was reading this article this morning.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/2018/03/watches-a-buyers-guide/

An 8 year waiting list for a Rolex Daytona.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024